PDA

View Full Version : Sci-fi Diner, Your Input Please

vanillarum
12-28-2006, 10:52 AM
We (DW, DS 14, DD 9, and myself) are trying to decide where to eat the day/night that we will be in MGM. When we were there last(05), we waited in line for quite a while to see Fantasmic. We thought that this time we might try the dinner package at MM (where we have eaten before and enjoyed it ). I'm thinking my kids might like the Sci-Fi for the atmosphere ? We have eaten there once before (2000), but had to sit at the counter since there were no openings. This time we will make ADRs in Feb. (trip is Aug). Most of our other dining plans have been agreed upon, and while nothing is set in stone, doing both is not an option, as we would have to cancel 1 of our other choices. Any experiences would be appreciated. Thanx !:thumbsup2

SoonerGirl
12-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I have mixed feelings on Sci-Fi. We ate there on our trip in Aug '05 and all really enjoyed it, so we booked it again for our October '06 trip and were very disappointed. DS6 ordered the pizza off the new kids menu and hated it, so he ended up eating my french fries for his meal. The rest of us just thought our food was 'okay', and our service was not nearly as good as it was the first time. I don't think we'll go back anytime soon.

jeni1072
12-28-2006, 11:18 AM
We did not like it at all. Thought it was a waste of a TS credit. The volumn on the speakers was so loud we could not hear ourselves think, much less have a conversation. Service was horrible, we were there an hour and a half and finally asked for our dessert to go.

TinkOhio
12-28-2006, 11:31 AM
We loved it 10 years ago and didn't dine there again untill last April. We did have ressies and didn't have to to be seated. The food and service were horrible! The sound was way too loud and our car was dirty. We couldn't wait to leave!

We have always had a good experience at Hollywood and Vine for the Fantasmic package. We'll be going there again this April.

Enjoy your trip!!:)

Melisa1
12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
I LOVE Sci-Fi!!!
Its a must do for us everytime! I like sitting in the cars watching the silly movie clips and I think the food is good, granted I get the same thing every time (burgers & fries).

disney4us2002
12-28-2006, 11:36 AM
For the basics, burgers and shakes, we always enjoy it. I asked the kids if we could skip it this year and they all said NO WAY! Looks like we'll be going again.

disneyquilter
12-28-2006, 11:37 AM
My family & I (DH, DD9. DD7 & myself) really liked Sci-Fi. The atmosphere was fun, the food was good and we had a great server.

Luv Bunnies
12-28-2006, 01:28 PM
We just ate there last Monday and loved it. We ordered burgers and fries. My son had the kid's menu pizza (cheese only, no chicken) and he liked it. We had hot fudge sundaes for dessert. I thought it was one of the quietest restaurants we went to. The speakers weren't loud enough to bother us, and there wasn't much conversation going on because everyone was watching the movies. We put the kids in the front seat and my husband and I in the back seat and they were quiet and happy. I would definitely go there again.

disneyfreakjackie
12-28-2006, 02:40 PM
The Sci-Fi is GREAT!!! We love it and visit EVERY trip!! I don't think it's part of the Fantasmic Dinner package though, but double check I could be wrong!!:confused3

boomhauer
12-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Great atmosphere.

Mediocre, overpriced food.

FlyingBelle
12-28-2006, 03:18 PM
I would say that it's counter-service quality food at table-service price.

We found Sci-Fi to be a nice break in the day. The conversations are pretty low since everyone's watching the film clips.

DH just wished they'd show the whole movies (or at least longer clips)

erikthewise
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM
As far as I know Sci-Fi is not an option for the Fantasmic Dinner Package.

We have eaten there several times for lunch but never for dinner. Our experience has been consistent: good to very good food, timely and unobtrusive service, and a fun atmosphere. We usually get burgers and kids food but DW had the Caesar Salad with Chicken this year and said it was pretty good. There is no doubt somewhere in WDW with better burgers but I don't know where it is. Our boys always ask for Sci-Fi when I ask where they want to eat. The food is overpriced but not dramatically so; if we avoid ordering side dishes and desserts our family of four can eat here for around $50.

Most of the complaints I've read on this board are about dinner. I agree it would not be a good value on the Dining Plan.

WAHMto5
12-28-2006, 04:25 PM
We have always eaten there for lunch and has always been very good. This in one place that the kids always request first to:)

SuBeat
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM
We had lunch here 12/21 for the first time, and all enjoyed our meals. DH and DS had the burger, I had the ceasar salad, and DD went with the kid's mac & cheese. I do think I'd stick with lunch vs. dinner and agree with those who have said it may not be a good value for the dining plan. But for an OOP lunch, we'd definitely do it again.

Karnak
12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Any experiences would be appreciated.
I do not recommend the Sci-Fi. We have had more than one poor experience at this establishment. The last time we ate there two of our six member party didn't get their food until after the others had finished their meals. (And they had only ordered burgers and fries.) The burgers were hard, as though they had sat under a heat lamp for a while, and the fries were cold, greasy and limp ... almost uneatable. The waiter was very slow, and seemed not to like where he was working. It took about 20 minutes to get the check when we finally finished our "meal."

In short: the Sci-Fi has had poor food and poor service every time we have eaten there. We kept hoping it would improve, but it never did. We will not be eating there in the future. The old movie clips are interesting for a few minutes, but soon loose their entertainment value when one can't get a decent meal in a reasonable length of time.

I think y'all need to find somewhere else to dine.

Sk8Leigh
12-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I agree, I went there for dinner in May and I didn't like the food. Maybe lunch is better? :confused3 Although dessert was great, some sort of chocolate thing, mousse maybe? But it's hard to go wrong with chocolate. :thumbsup2

MaeDaisy
12-28-2006, 05:39 PM
The atmosphere was a lot of fun, food was really good, and service was fine. Our waitress even took a picture of my husband and I "necking" in the backseat with the kids up front. Whether it's a "value" or not depends. We were on the dining plan and had to pay OOP for one of our dinners because we used 2 for the Spirit of Aloha dinner show. I considered paying for this one because I expected it to be one of the cheaper ones, but our bill for the 4 of us (kids are 9 & 7) was just over $100.00 so we put it on the plan! That was with appetizers and desserts though.

I recommend it. At least try it once.

DLBDS
12-28-2006, 07:18 PM
The Sci-fi is definitely not part of the Fantasmic dinner package program. I believe it's only MM, H&V and HBD. As far as the Sci-fi goes.....I loved the bacon burger and fries but didn't like the atmosphere at all. The place was pretty dead to me. No life here. When we waited for our table to become available, I watched a young girl on roller skates seat some folks. She had a great personality and talked as if in character. I thought I was in for a treat. Not so. The other women seating folks where just plain boring (and no roller skates). Might as well have been at McD's. The restaurant itself was quiet other than the movies which I didn't find too loud. The place needed a good scrubdown and the service was only so-so. I would give it another try though 'cause the burger was really good.

unbroken chain
12-28-2006, 07:33 PM
We just ate there last week, for dinner. I don't think it's on the Fantasmic dinner package, but maybe that's changed. Anyway, I thought the food was fine. It's not fine dining, but hey, you're sitting in a car. The kids can get milkshakes that count for their drinks on the DDP, in addition to their dessert (in case they haven't had enough sugar by dinner!)

Service was a bit slow, but not too bad. Our server was fairly attentive and funny. And when he saw that my daughter barely touched her chicken caesar salad, he asked her what else he could get her, and brought her another different entree free! It wasn't at my request - I figure if you order it, you eat it. But he seemed very concerned that she was going to be hungry and said as long as she hadn't eaten the first one he could take it back. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, she just ordered it and then didn't really want it when she saw it.

I would definitely go back. Just know what you're getting - a fun, kitchy atmosphere, not a fine dining experience.

MJMcBride
12-28-2006, 07:42 PM
I like the Sci-Fi although I find the food average. The atmosphere is great as are the milkshakes. I would definately go simple like a burger but I think your kids will love it. I would recommend it as an experience but not necessarily a gourmet one.

It is not on the fantasmic dinner plan.

tubtruck
12-28-2006, 08:25 PM
DW and I love this place and its become a tradition to dine there at least once on exch of our trips, mainly for the ambience rather than the food, without the cars and movies it would be another burger joint.

tampaguys
12-28-2006, 08:29 PM
I think the food is so-so at best, and the service can vary from those who are really into the whole schtick to people who seem annoyed to be working there. Still...the cars, the sky, the screen, the cartoons and B movie clips, screaming when the giant guy throws the syringe...you just can't beat that kind of nostalgic goofy fun.

Pumbaa_
12-28-2006, 08:33 PM
We've only been there once and the food was not that great. I think I had a roast beast sandwich. The atmosphere is cool, and I want to try it again, but will stick with a burger

TMTIP
12-28-2006, 09:30 PM
My family loves Sci-Fi, must eat there every trip. We only go for lunch and have the great burgers and milk shakes. Loads of fun.

Twinprincesses
12-28-2006, 09:35 PM
THis is a must do for our family too. It is just something that is really unique that my kids love.

scrump
12-29-2006, 09:02 AM
This is a must-do for us, one of our absolutes favorites! The food is ok diner food, but the atmosphere is so much fun!

stapply
12-29-2006, 02:25 PM
We ate there on our 2003 trip (1st time). I love the atmosphere of this place, very different from anywhere I've ever eaten before, but the food was nothing to rave about. My kids ordered cheeseburgers (the only thing on the menu they were willing to try), and I think I had a chicken sandwich. Perhaps we'll try it again someday and try something different on the menu.

teresa kay
12-29-2006, 03:49 PM
We just ate there last week for the first time and decided it was probably the last as well. DD11 had ribs...no taste to them, and DH & I were not excited about our food either. The atmosphere was neat, but not enough to justify the price.

We bought 3 turkey legs on our way back to our room and had a real feast.:rolleyes1

disneygirl725
12-29-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm a burger and fries kind of gal. I like the Sci-Fi and I always want to go just for the atmosphere. We went for dinner in Sept and it was really disappointing. My BF loved his food, I had a chicken sandwich that was so so. The service was horrendous.

It took us almost 1.5 hours to eat for 2 of us. Plus the restaurant was almost empty.

I'd say go for lunch for the kids. If you are looking for excellent food and service, I may go elsewhere.

kribit
12-29-2006, 05:57 PM
We had lunch at Sci Fi and loved it. The food was excellent, service great and the atmosphere was neat for our kids since they don't even know what a drive in is. :)

I highly recommend it!

kribit
12-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Went back and read other posts...if it helps - we too all had burgers and fries. Good luck!

ShannonN
12-29-2006, 11:07 PM
We ate at Si-Fi last June for lunch, the food was just okay, the atmosphere was quiet. My DS really liked sitting in the cars but didn't care for the movie clips. The waitress wasn't very friendly either. Sorry to sound so negative. Maybe it was just an off day.

Mulan82
12-30-2006, 12:52 PM
one word. YUCK.

onion rings are the only highlight of the experience, which doesn't say much for the food when something deep fried is the best thing on the menu.

M-I-C-K-E-Y
12-30-2006, 02:16 PM
The way our family looks at it is that it's a fun experience. After all, it's a fake indoor drive-in theater with cheesy movies playing and faux cars. At such a place we're not expecting Le Cellier steaks or anything remotely close. It's a fun experience, especially for the kids, and definitely a must-do destination. Try it at least once, for the experience.

Terk-1
12-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Thought I would give it another try on my most recent trip, as I was pretty disappointed the previous 2 visits. Was seated fairly quickly and the waiter was nice. Tried the chocolate shake, which was good. Also tried the burger & fries. The fries were undercooked and the burger was GREASY!!! Way too greasy for my taste and I ended up leaving 1/2 the food there. For me, it was 3 strikes and now Sci-Fi is out for me.

My absolute favorite place to dine at DS is at the 50's Primetime Cafe. Have always had great food and service there. Actually dined there twice during my last trip.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

ont/ohana
12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi We ate at SI-FI on 5 Dec 06. We ate there 10 years ago and loved it. We thought the kids would love it too. My DD6 had pizza and didn't like it but ate all my onion rings( they were good!) DD9 haad Mac and cheese and did not like it at all. I gave her part of my burger and tried her meal and it was not very good. My Dh and I both had Burgers and they were good but the best part was the movies! Our kids loved the dark quiet atmosphere and so did I. Good Luck to you !popcorn::