PDA

View Full Version : Which Rental Car Company?

earthyfamily
12-27-2006, 06:38 PM
We've used Budget a number of times before, but the $200 deposit really drives me crazy for some reason....I can't seem to find anything about Alamo requiring a deposit though. And I don't know much about other car rental companies. We'd like a nice car....something exceptionally clean as well. We also need something that is onsite at the Orlando airport (MCO)...not one that you take a bus or tram or anything like that to get to their parking lot of cars. Who's your favourite car rental company and why? What's their deposit requirements? TIA!

Disneyjosh229
12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
If your looking for something "exceptionally clean and nice" I would suggest Hertz, but they are offsite, requiring a five minute bus ride. For on-site rentals, ive found (at least MCO) Budget and National are the best. National and Alamo are sister companies, and for the most part, share the same policies, so I would guess they do not require a deposit. Also, if you are a member of the Emerald Club, you can often times spot a "nice" (as in leather, sunroof, XM) vehicle on the Emerald Aisle if you reserve an Intermediate car.

safetymom
12-28-2006, 05:57 AM
I prefer Hertz. They do require a bus ride but it is a short one. No deposit required. If you are a AAA member they do offer a good discount.

ducklite
12-28-2006, 09:35 AM
$200 deposit? We've never been charged a deposit for any car we've rented.

We prefer on airport rental places, I think we were using National and Budget a lot when we used to fly in to MCO.

Anne

disneyldwjr
12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
$200 deposit? We've never been charged a deposit for any car we've rented.

We prefer on airport rental places, I think we were using National and Budget a lot when we used to fly in to MCO.

Anne

It is not really a deposit, but, a hold on your credit card. National, Avis and Alamo do not put an extra (above the rental cost) on your CC. Budget and Dollar (for example do).

ducklite
12-28-2006, 10:01 AM
It is not really a deposit, but, a hold on your credit card. National, Avis and Alamo do not put an extra (above the rental cost) on your CC. Budget and Dollar (for example do).

It's not a charge, so what's the big deal? It gets taken off once you return the vehicle.

Anne

Yzerbear19
12-28-2006, 11:56 AM
It's not a charge, so what's the big deal? It gets taken off once you return the vehicle.

Anne

But its money that is being held that can't be spent on other things at the park. I'm sure the original poster would prefer to spend that extra money on things at WDW rather than having it being held by the car rental company. This is why I decided to go with Alamo.

ducklite
12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
But its money that is being held that can't be spent on other things at the park. I'm sure the original poster would prefer to spend that extra money on things at WDW rather than having it being held by the car rental company. This is why I decided to go with Alamo.

OK, it's a hold on the credit card, not cash of the pocket. If I had that little credit limit left, I'd be rethinking the trip. What if there was an emergency and you need to go back home, and the airline is going to charge you an additional $200 per ticket to change them? What if one of the kids gets sick and you need to take them to the walk-in clinic?

Just my opinion, but if my finances were that tight, I wouldn't be taking an expensive WDW vacation.

Anne

Lewisc
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Is the OP paying cash, with a debit card or with a credit card?

Many agencies will take a deposit if you're using a debit card. Some of the agencies that don't take a deposit don't accept a debit card. The agency wants to know they'll get paid if you return the car late or without a full tank of gas. The website talks about deposit if the renter is using a MC or Visa debit card.

I don't think there is anyway around a deposit for a cash rental.

Otherwise call your credit card company. See if you can at least get a temporary increase in your line of credit.

edited to say I do see the Orlando location is putting a hold on your credit card. That's the kind of policy that might change, I wouldn't be surprised if other agencies does the same thing. Just see if you can get your line of credit increased.

It is common for a business to put a hold on a credit card. Many of the self-service gas stations put a $50 hold before you start filling up. Sometimes that hold takes a day to clear.

Yzerbear19
12-28-2006, 03:43 PM
OK, it's a hold on the credit card, not cash of the pocket. If I had that little credit limit left, I'd be rethinking the trip.
I think you missed the point. I never said anything about being close to the limit or anything like that. I only said that the money they hold on your credit card is money that potentially could be spent on food, souvenirs, splurge purchase etc. For example, my car rental with Alamo is $163, if they held the minimum $250 that others do, that would almost $90 that is being held that can't be used for anything else until that hold is removed. Also if there was an emergency there is no guarantee that the car rental company is going to take the hold off right away. That would also be $90 less than I could potentially spend if I wanted to. That was what I was trying to say. The holds that some companies place on your card does reduce the amount you have to potentially spend, though you probably won't.

ruadisneyfan2
12-28-2006, 05:14 PM

I just booked with Dollar for next Nov. and didn't even have to give my cc. Also we've used every onsite company except Avis and L&M and never had to give a CC or deposit. :confused3

DonnaL
12-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't recall ever having a hold placed on a credit card for a reservation. We've been using National pretty regularly since my husband is an EC member, so they do have our cc info through EC, but, even before he joined EC I was never asked for cc info when making the ressie, only when we picked the vehicle up......now maybe they did put a hold at that point but if they did I was never aware of it and it was never an issue. As I said, we've been using National regularly lately ......they are a little more, however, as EC members we get to add an additional driver free ( as long as they reside in the same household and it's a family member) and if we went with any of the other companies it's an extra charge, so even though they're a little higher it becomes about even due to that issue. Also, we love not having to wait in ANY lines at all.....just going to the garage and picking up our car on the EA or ER.....last trip we got a really nice Pontiac (I think it's Pontiac) Torrent, leather interior.....nice mid size SUV on the EA.

disneyldwjr
12-28-2006, 05:41 PM

Anne

well, some people have limits on their charge accounts and to them it is a big deal. Often it takes up to 10 days for that charge to come off. It would not affect me and obviously not you, but, it does affect others. Try to think about other people, please.

disneyworldluvr349
12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
We have always used Budget Rent a Car even though every time we do I have to truck myself down to the airport (DIA) which is a good 1 hour drive. I don't think that we have used a different rent a car service in all 7 trips in a row that we have taken (Although we have taken our car). Their cars last the whole 3 day drive there and back!

disneyldwjr
12-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I just booked with Dollar for next Nov. and didn't even have to give my cc. Also we've used every onsite company except Avis and L&M and never had to give a CC or deposit. :confused3

when you pick up the car they will put a hold on your CC with Dollar. From Dollar's web site. Credit Qualifications/requirement: To qualify to rent the DOLLAR vehicle, the renter must present at the time of rental a major credit card or debit card (See Debit Card Usage below) in the renters own name with available credit. A hold will be placed on the renters credit card for the estimated amount of the rental plus 15% or a minimum amount, whichever is greater, as determined by the location where you intend to rent. The hold will be removed at the end of the rental when the final charges are settled. Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on credit qualifications and requirements where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle. http://dollarcar.com/about/general_policies.aspx

Budget's policy is similar. The minimum amount is approx. 250.00.

No one said anything about a hold being put on your card when you reserve, only when you pick it up. Please, reread the posts you you won't be further confused. :)

disneyldwjr
12-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't recall ever having a hold placed on a credit card for a reservation. We've been using National pretty regularly since my husband is an EC member, so they do have our cc info through EC, but, even before he joined EC I was never asked for cc info when making the ressie, only when we picked the vehicle up......now maybe they did put a hold at that point but if they did I was never aware of it and it was never an issue. As I said, we've been using National regularly lately ......they are a little more, however, as EC members we get to add an additional driver free ( as long as they reside in the same household and it's a family member) and if we went with any of the other companies it's an extra charge, so even though they're a little higher it becomes about even due to that issue. Also, we love not having to wait in ANY lines at all.....just going to the garage and picking up our car on the EA or ER.....last trip we got a really nice Pontiac (I think it's Pontiac) Torrent, leather interior.....nice mid size SUV on the EA.

Again, it is not put on when you make the reservation, but it is, with certain agencies, when you pick up the car. National and Alamo do NOT put holds on cc in excess of the rental amount. National charges you at the end, but, puts a hold on for the amount of the rental at the beginning. Alamo charges you at the beginning and does not hold any extra. Avis, chages you at the end, puts a hold on the card for the amount of the rental, no extra. However, if you do use a debit card for the rental, there is an additional hold placed on the card.
All this information is available on the agencies websites.

disneyldwjr
12-28-2006, 05:54 PM
OK, it's a hold on the credit card, not cash of the pocket. If I had that little credit limit left, I'd be rethinking the trip. What if there was an emergency and you need to go back home, and the airline is going to charge you an additional $200 per ticket to change them? What if one of the kids gets sick and you need to take them to the walk-in clinic?

Just my opinion, but if my finances were that tight, I wouldn't be taking an expensive WDW vacation.

Anne

That is really not your call. People are entitled to what they want, when they want and how they want with their money. I can understand where the OP is coming from. While it is not an issue for me, I would still not like having my funds tied up by anyone. It is the not the amount, it is the principal.

disneyldwjr
12-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I think you missed the point. I never said anything about being close to the limit or anything like that. I only said that the money they hold on your credit card is money that potentially could be spent on food, souvenirs, splurge purchase etc. For example, my car rental with Alamo is $163, if they held the minimum $250 that others do, that would almost $90 that is being held that can't be used for anything else until that hold is removed. Also if there was an emergency there is no guarantee that the car rental company is going to take the hold off right away. That would also be $90 less than I could potentially spend if I wanted to. That was what I was trying to say. The holds that some companies place on your card does reduce the amount you have to potentially spend, though you probably won't.

Actually, it is an additional 200 or 250. If your car rental was 200.00 and the minmum held was either 15% or 250.00 over the car rental, that would make it 450.00 (assuming the min. of 250.00).
I totally understand where you are coming from and agree with you 100%.

CPer'sMom
12-28-2006, 10:04 PM
I won't say that Alamo is my *favorite*, but we did have a good rental from them last week at MCO. They had just added many new cars to their fleet ~ we got a Highlander with 8 miles on it! Nicest, cleanest rental car we've ever had :)

kydisneyfans
12-29-2006, 01:03 AM
I purposely keep my credit limits down, typically in the 500 to 1K range. A $200.00 hold is quite a bit on top of gas stations placing 75.00 holds for a 20.00 fill up. I should not have to rethink my trip because I keep my open credit lines down-it's a smart financial decision here.

ducklite
12-29-2006, 05:16 AM
well, some people have limits on their charge accounts and to them it is a big deal. Often it takes up to 10 days for that charge to come off. It would not affect me and obviously not you, but, it does affect others. Try to think about other people, please.

Like I said, if my money was so tight that a $200 hold would affect my trip, then I wouldn't be taking a vacation. What on earth would happen if there was an emergency and they needed to spend $800 to get home, or their flight was cancelled due to bad weather and they had to spend an extra two or three days in Orlando--like people visiting from Denver will likely be facing this weekend?

I'm not flaming, I'm pointing out a very real possible situation, and wondering about the rationality of taking a trip without having the means of paying for an emergency that might come up.

Anne

Lewisc
12-29-2006, 08:54 AM
I can't speak for the OP but some people either by choice or due to problems in the past have relatively low limits on their credit cards even though they are well off financially. Those people could either write a check or use a debit card to pay for unexpected expenses. Car rental agencies are one of the few business that treat debit cards and credit cards differently. In fact car rental agencies are one of the only business that don't allow customers to pay cash without a big hastle.

Look at it from the agencies side. You have a car worth $20,000. You're leaving town after your vacation. They'd like the ability to make sure you pay if you keep the car a few extra days, forget to fill it up or return the car with some damage.

It's not a smart financial decision to keep your limits so low that it limits your ability to chose what rental agency you can do business with. I still think the best solution is to see if you can get your credit limit increased by $200.

I would assume that any agency might wind up putting a hold on my credit card even if that policy wasn't in effect when I made my reservation.

Like I said, if my money was so tight that a $200 hold would affect my trip, then I wouldn't be taking a vacation. What on earth would happen if there was an emergency and they needed to spend $800 to get home, or their flight was cancelled due to bad weather and they had to spend an extra two or three days in Orlando--like people visiting from Denver will likely be facing this weekend?

I'm not flaming, I'm pointing out a very real possible situation, and wondering about the rationality of taking a trip without having the means of paying for an emergency that might come up.

Anne

ducklite
12-29-2006, 09:05 AM
I can't speak for the OP but some people either by choice or due to problems in the past have relatively low limits on their credit cards even though they are well off financially. Those people could either write a check or use a debit card to pay for unexpected expenses.

I understand that, but another poster was saying that $200 would be spending money that they now couldn't have for the parks, and my point is that if you don't have the cash flow to tap spending money from an additional source to the point that a $200 deposit was going to hinder the trip, perhaps it might be better to wait until the financial picture was more stable.

Anne

ducklite
12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
It's not a smart financial decision to keep your limits so low that it limits your ability to chose what rental agency you can do business with. I still think the best solution is to see if you can get your credit limit increased by $200..

I agree--in fact keeping a limit so low that you routinely hit the limit every month is actually BAD financial sense. You should never allow your spending to go past 50% of the limit of your card. To do so actually negatively affects your credit.

Anne

Yzerbear19
12-29-2006, 09:45 AM
While it is not an issue for me, I would still not like having my funds tied up by anyone. It is the not the amount, it is the principal.
Exactly! I like knowing that if something were to come up that my money isn't being held by someone. I don't trust that they will take the hold off right away because I know of several companies that don't take them off right away. I've had to call my bank several times in the last couple of months to cancel holds that the companies hadn't taken off even though the charge had cleared.

disneyldwjr
12-29-2006, 07:23 PM

Anne

Anne,
I am sure you are not flaming, but, you know, we are dealing with adults here and what they do or plan to do is none of our business. I am sure they have thought out all possible scenarios and while I am sure your input is valuable to some, it is really not applicable or necessary here.

disneyldwjr
12-29-2006, 07:26 PM
I understand that, but another poster was saying that $200 would be spending money that they now couldn't have for the parks, and my point is that if you don't have the cash flow to tap spending money from an additional source to the point that a $200 deposit was going to hinder the trip, perhaps it might be better to wait until the financial picture was more stable.

Anne

Anne,
Frankly, what other people do is none of our business. Judging someone's financial state from one post is absurd, to say the least and more so, none of your business.

disneyldwjr
12-29-2006, 07:26 PM
sorry, duplicate response.

disneyldwjr
12-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Exactly! I like knowing that if something were to come up that my money isn't being held by someone. I don't trust that they will take the hold off right away because I know of several companies that don't take them off right away. I've had to call my bank several times in the last couple of months to cancel holds that the companies hadn't taken off even though the charge had cleared.

I am happy we are on the same page. I refuse to write a check to places like Target, because if I have to return something, they have 10 day holds on checks, can you imagine? They are using my money to gain interest in their accounts for something that, by law, does not require that much of a hold.

disneyldwjr
12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
I agree--in fact keeping a limit so low that you routinely hit the limit every month is actually BAD financial sense. You should never allow your spending to go past 50% of the limit of your card. To do so actually negatively affects your credit.

Anne

Conversely, it is stupid to have limits that you cannot afford to pay. It matters not what your limit is IF you pay it monthly. It is way too tempting to some to have high limits. And, if you pay your bills on time, it is not a negative impacts on your credit. Many things are taken into account when analyzing credit, and the most important one is the ability to pay, which offsets going past 50% of your limits.
Let people decide how to handle their own finances. After all, it is they that pay their bills, not you.

Disneyjosh229
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Let people decide how to handle their own finances. After all, it is they that pay their bills, not you.

Ive been waiting for someone to say that....

Thank You :)

Its about to get ugly :duck: :duck:

ducklite
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Conversely, it is stupid to have limits that you cannot afford to pay. It matters not what your limit is IF you pay it monthly. It is way too tempting to some to have high limits. And, if you pay your bills on time, it is not a negative impacts on your credit. Many things are taken into account when analyzing credit, and the most important one is the ability to pay, which offsets going past 50% of your limits.

Actually you are wrong. Credit bureaus do not have access to income, nor is it figured into credit scoring. What is looked at is the timely payment history, the length that accounts have been open, and how far into your credit line you go. I will reiterate, going past 50% of your credit line dings your credit.

And if we are all adults, as you mentioned, then we should all have control of our spending habits and not have to be treated like children with an allowance to control ourselves.

Anne

djpositivek
12-30-2006, 10:22 AM
While I don't agree with the holds, these companies have the right to do it and if anyone doesn't agree to the terms, the answer is simple... Rent with another company.

Also about credit, I think it's nice to have plenty of breathing room with credit. I would hope that just because you have a higher limit on a card doesn't mean you are going to spend it. If that's the case, it might be time for counselling :confused3

disneyldwjr
12-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Actually you are wrong. Credit bureaus do not have access to income, nor is it figured into credit scoring. What is looked at is the timely payment history, the length that accounts have been open, and how far into your credit line you go. I will reiterate, going past 50% of your credit line dings your credit.

And if we are all adults, as you mentioned, then we should all have control of our spending habits and not have to be treated like children with an allowance to control ourselves.

Anne

Credit bureaus do have access to your income and where you work along with a lot of other information I am not exactly delighted they have access to.
However, when analyzing credit for mortgages, loans, cc, etc. The DO take into consideration how much money you make, how you pay your bills etc.
The Credit bureaus provide a synopsis only, they do not make credit granting decisions.
Anne, I have been in the business for years and I do know just a tiny bit about how it works. You write columns for rock bands. Big difference.
As to what people do with their money, in reality, you are assuming WAY too much from one or two posts from OP. It is you that is talking down to this person and, frankly, while you are entitled to your opinion, it is none of your business and definitely out of line to speak to him/her as if he/she were a child.
What you feel about spending habits apparently works for you, and I am thrilled beyond belief that it works for you, but, what works for you does not work for everyone and you should not be judging others to your standards.
Sometimes it is wise to keep our judgmental opinions to ourselves (which is probably what I should have done rather than answer your posts).

disneyldwjr
12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
While I don't agree with the holds, these companies have the right to do it and if anyone doesn't agree to the terms, the answer is simple... Rent with another company.

Also about credit, I think it's nice to have plenty of breathing room with credit. I would hope that just because you have a higher limit on a card doesn't mean you are going to spend it. If that's the case, it might be time for counselling :confused3

WOW< ITA with what you should do if you don't like the policies. It is exactly what I do.

Yes, it is nice to have wiggle room with your credit. And if you have, say a limit of 500.00 for a trip and 100.00 of that is rental and another is a hold for 200.00, then it does significantly reduce your disposable income for that trip.
Yes, the hold will be removed in 3-10 days AFTER you return the vehicle, but, for some, it is not what they want.

Might be time for counseling, perhaps, but, none of my business for someone else.

disneyldwjr
12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Ive been waiting for someone to say that....

Thank You :)

Its about to get ugly :duck: :duck:

You are welcome!!!! :)

ducklite
12-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Credit bureaus do have access to your income and where you work along with a lot of other information I am not exactly delighted they have access to.
However, when analyzing credit for mortgages, loans, cc, etc. The DO take into consideration how much money you make, how you pay your bills etc.
The Credit bureaus provide a synopsis only, they do not make credit granting decisions.

Credit BUREAUS do not take income into account when creating credit scores. Credit grantors such as BANKS have that information and definitely use it to determine creditworthiness.

Anne, I have been in the business for years and I do know just a tiny bit about how it works. You write columns for rock bands. Big difference.

First of all, I don't have a column. I write features, concert reviews, and CD reviews, so lets get that straight. Next I'd like to point out that I wrote a monthly column for a national mortgage magazine for five years. I was also a loan officer, as well as mortgage processor and underwriter for a total of about ten years. So it would seem that I do have a little bit of understanding of how it all works. Fair Isaac does NOT take income into consideration when determining credit scores, and credit scores are what make the world go around. Ten points on a credit score can make the difference between getting a 5% rate and a 7% rate. Over time that adds up to a ton of money. And BTW--it takes a lot more effort and ambition to be successful as a music journalist than in the lending sector.

As to what people do with their money, in reality, you are assuming WAY too much from one or two posts from OP. It is you that is talking down to this person and, frankly, while you are entitled to your opinion, it is none of your business and definitely out of line to speak to him/her as if he/she were a child.

I was not trying to talk down to the OP, and I apologize to them if they felt I was. But I was correct in saying that running your credit cards to the limit WILL affect your credit score, and it's better to have a $2000 limit that you run to $1000 than a $1000 limit that you max out.

What you feel about spending habits apparently works for you, and I am thrilled beyond belief that it works for you, but, what works for you does not work for everyone and you should not be judging others to your standards.
Sometimes it is wise to keep our judgmental opinions to ourselves (which is probably what I should have done rather than answer your posts).

Exactly, especially because you obviously also had ZERO idea that indeed I DO know what I'm talking about before you decided to flame me.

Anne

disneyldwjr
12-31-2006, 11:58 PM
[Exactly, especially because you obviously also had ZERO idea that indeed I DO know what I'm talking about before you decided to flame me.]

Just doing what you do so well and often to others dear.

ducklite
01-01-2007, 08:38 AM
[Exactly, especially because you obviously also had ZERO idea that indeed I DO know what I'm talking about before you decided to flame me.]

Just doing what you do so well and often to others dear.

You need to look in the mirror. :rolleyes:

Anne

vacation dreamer
01-01-2007, 09:46 AM
We've used Budget a number of times before, but the $200 deposit really drives me crazy for some reason....I can't seem to find anything about Alamo requiring a deposit though. And I don't know much about other car rental companies. We'd like a nice car....something exceptionally clean as well. We also need something that is onsite at the Orlando airport (MCO)...not one that you take a bus or tram or anything like that to get to their parking lot of cars. Who's your favourite car rental company and why? What's their deposit requirements? TIA!

We have never been charged a deposit fee with Budget and we use them all the time. Do they put this charge on your CC or make you pay cash?

vacation dreamer
01-01-2007, 09:48 AM
We have never been charged a deposit fee with Budget and we use them all the time. Do they put this charge on your CC or make you pay cash?

Oh I so need to read a hold thread before asking questions............sorry I posted on this thread. Happy New Year ALL!!!!!

annegal
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
You need to look in the mirror. :rolleyes:

Anne

:thumbsup2 :rotfl: