PDA

View Full Version : How's the Hoop Dee Doo?

rie'smom
12-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Even though I've gone to WDW since 1973,I've never been to HDDR. What should we expect? My DD and her cousin are graduating from 7th grade so I'm taking them to WDW and this is the dinner show I have scheduled.

thatduffgirl
12-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Hoop de Doo is terrific, in my opinion, and I can't for the life of me figure out why! My husband and I are both active theater goers, and have pretty sophisticated tastes, and Hoop de Doo is just about as homespun as you can get. It is, in my opinion, slapstick humor at it's very best. Lots of fun, audience involvement, jokes and laughs with a decidedly Western flavor. Normally, we would hate this kind of thing, but the quality and pacing is such that we enjoy it tremendously.

The food is hot and fresh and there is plenty of it. I don't drink, but I have heard the sangrias are great. The food is good; fried chicken, corn, rolls, and strawberry shortcake for dessert.

We always enjoy attending and go back every time we visit.

disnut8
12-27-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm sure you'll love it. The seats are preassigned based on your tier level and when you made your reservation. The food is OK but the show is great. You will have salad waiting at your table and then your dinner will be brought out in buckets. Passable ribs and chicken, corn, beans. The show will go on through out your dinner. It's hokey kind of fun.

rie'smom
12-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Thank-you both!! I reserved Tier 1 and the CM said our table was near the stage.

Minnie & Me
12-27-2006, 10:00 PM
When you reserve, do they give you your table number right away over the phone? Is tier 2 seating good if we are on the ddp?

karibritt01
12-28-2006, 09:53 AM
You will love HDDR. It has slapstick that my little one loved, and more sophisticated humor for the adults. My 8 yr old enjoyed both types of humor. The night we went the food was really good. My kids want to go back this year, but we are going to try the luau instead. As for the tiered seating, I hope teir 2 is good - it sounds like it should be. I tried to make ADR for teir 1 and pay OOP the difference, but they won't do that.:sad1:

LisaG
12-28-2006, 10:01 AM
The Hoop De Doo was the highlight of our trip. We were there on Dec.12th. My DD7 said that it was the best thing she has ever done at Disney...very high praise from a child. :cheer2:

The food is great and the laughs never stop!

Mystry62
12-28-2006, 11:03 AM
I LOVE HDDR! And for those of you concerned with seating arrangements, we went last week. We made ressies for the 9:30 Tuesay night show on the night before, so we were seated in the balcony. I was disappointed when I found out where we were sitting. But, after going, I think that, other than the front few tables, these are the best seats in the house!!! Great view of the stage and you're not left out of the interaction. They come upstairs to get you involved as well. Next time I book HDDR, I hope I get balcony seats again!

I'm No Fool
12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
If you do go and find you aren't having a good time, just have more sangria and soon you will be!:banana:

golden1
12-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I've gone to it 3 times, once as a kid, once as a newlywed, and earlier this month and I've enjoyed it everytime. It is a cute show and the food is tasty.

Hopefully
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I really enjoy the Hoop Dee Doo Review. But it is all in your expectations.
As others have said it is Western Themed and a kind of hokey slapstick comedy. It is faced paced songs, dance jokes and audience participation. We were there last in April with my 3 and 5 y.o grandkids and they enjoyed it a lot.
I think the food is good, not gourmet, but good. I thought the salad was fresh and excellent, the chicken good and the rolls delicious. I was so full I didn't try the strawberry shortcake bot the others loved it.
I will go again in the future and I recommend it to others.

Cindy's Mom
12-28-2006, 04:00 PM
how do you get tier one seating?

CathrynRose
12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
My kids did -not- enjoy it as much as they had when they were younger. I think if theyre that tween/teen age - theyre not going to love it as much :confused3

As you can see below - theyre not thrilled.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/catcathryn/100_0715.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/catcathryn/100_0714.jpg:

rie'smom
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM
how do you get tier one seating?
You can request it when making your reservation.

When you reserve, do they give you your table number right away over the phone? Is tier 2 seating good if we are on the ddp?

No,I didn't get my table number but I did request near the stage and she said I had it. I really don't know about the other tiers but here's a link to the seating chart:don't skip the spaces! the board won't let me post the url but go to: photoalbums dot wdw magic dot com forward slash showphoto dot php ? photo = 21286

mandy200587
12-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I love Hoop and having been going every year since I've went to Disney. I do have videos if you would like to see them, just let me know and I will post the links for you

rie'smom
12-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks Mandy for the offer! I think though that I'd like to have a surprise waiting for me.

mandy200587
12-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Your welcome. It is good though, first year we took my sil she laughed hard enough she cried.

Twende
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
We love HDDR. We have seen the show twice now and I would love to go back again.

It is corny, silly fun and you have to get involved by leting your hair down to really enjoy it. The food is simple but tasty and plentiful.

I enjoyed two glasses of the Sangria with my show and dinner. My family tells me that I and another woman who I met on the boat, sang our way across the lake to the WL resort. :dance3: Everyone was laughing at us or with us???? so I assume we had a great time! My memory of this part of the evening is a bit blurry! :rotfl:

We had good seats the first time and right by the stage the second time!

I still smile from ear to ear when I think about it all!

ncbyrne
12-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I have only seen the show once and we had the BEST seats in the house. We got the table dead center front row of the stage. It was awesome! We booked this over a year in advance. How far out did you book and where did you end up sitting?

Luv'sTink
12-28-2006, 09:55 PM
That is weird it wont let you past the address! We were front row to the right, no one said anything about Tier seating and we were on the DDP.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i164/LuvsTink/HoopSeating.jpg

DreaminDisney
12-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Can someone explain tiers and DDP? With DDP you only get to sit tier 2 or 3 and paying oop is for tier 1? I thought seating was based on when you booked show. Did all this change when they changed it to booking it 180 days prior verse 2 years?

KimKamMom
12-29-2006, 08:01 AM
April will be my 6th time at the HDDR.
4th time with my children.
The best part now is watching our DD's watch the show.
We live in NJ and have access to as much Broadway as we would like...there is nothing that compares to the laughs at the HDDR!

Oh and I agree....the sangria is great!!!!!:rotfl2:

mandy200587
12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Can someone explain tiers and DDP? With DDP you only get to sit tier 2 or 3 and paying oop is for tier 1? I thought seating was based on when you booked show. Did all this change when they changed it to booking it 180 days prior verse 2 years?

Tier seating goes into effect in Jan. You no longer can book ahead two years. It's 180 days like everything else. You get first tier by paying oop, Tier 2 and 3 are for DDP

DreaminDisney
12-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Tier seating goes into effect in Jan. You no longer can book ahead two years. It's 180 days like everything else. You get first tier by paying oop, Tier 2 and 3 are for DDP

Thank you Mandy! :)