PDA

View Full Version : Driving from NYC to WDW (How does this sound?)

kandb
12-26-2006, 10:07 PM
We are going at the end of April. We will be spending 8 days in WDW. (4 on property, 4 off property). We are going to drive 7 hours the first day, stop somewhere near the beginning of NC, drive 7 hours the next day (spend the night in Savannah, GA) and then the 3rd day we will be to WDW in 4 hours. We are taking our mini-van and will have our almost 4 year old twins with us. How does this sound? Any advice? Thanks, Linda

snowy76
12-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Linda!

You didn't mention what time you were planning on travelling -- maybe you don't know yet -- but I would definitely think about that because you're going to encounter traffic from NYC all the way through NJ, Philly, Baltimore, DC... it may take you longer than 7 hours that first day. I'm assuming you're taking I-95 most of the way.

I think some folks here have traveled as far out of the way as Scranton PA to hop onto I-81 and take another route to avoid a lot of the northeast traffic... anyone out there know what I am talking about, or am I imagining it???

Good luck!

kandb
12-26-2006, 10:20 PM
We plan on leaving after rush hour from NYC, maybe 9:30-10:00a.m. That way we will hit DC around 2:00-3:00 p.m. Yes, we plan on taking I-95 the whole way. Linda

Obi-Wan Pinobi
12-26-2006, 10:39 PM
When driving to and from WDW, it's taken me about 3 hours each to cross North Carolina and South Carolina. If you make it as far as the NC/VA border, 7 hours should get you near Brunswick, closer to the FL line.

A number of people from farther north have said they make their way to I-81 to get around the DC/Baltimore/Philly/NJ/NY traffic. I-81 does get a lot of truck traffic, but you don't pass through major metro areas like you would on I-95.

ducklite
12-27-2006, 07:55 AM
ACK!

My DH makes this trip monthly.

Leave at 4:00am on a Saturday and even with the baby you'll be in Richmond Hill, GA (several good, clean, safe motels in the area) by 7:00pm. Geta good nights sleep and finish the last six or so hours the next day.

It takes DH normally 16-17 hours, but that's without a kid along.

There is no need to stop twice for the night.

His route is NJ Turnpike to 95 in DE, stays on 95, takes Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore >> BWE (I-295) >> Remain on 295 across the beltway and past Bolling onto the 95 south Wilson bridge for VA. Take the Richmond by-pass then rejoin 95 and stay on it all the way to I-4 in Daytona.

Like I said, he makes the trip every month, and has tried several options, this one is truly the fastest.

He leaves at 4:00 am and is usually home by 9:00pm.

Anne