PDA

View Full Version : taxi- car advice? please help! I have to decide quickly...

hsmamato2
12-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Ok, I'm thinking we'll rent a car from the airport and keep it for one week,for travel to some other places, our 2nd week,we really don't need a car,so I'd like to drop it in disney,and catch a taxi or something to the airport for our flight back.... recommendations for the best way to do this? Cost vs reliability?:confused3
We have 5 people,3 adults,2 kids,and luggage.( we pack pretty light) Would we all fit in a taxi,and is the fare from OKW to MCO still about $42 plus tip and tolls?
Or would a car service be just as economical? We want economy but not at the expense of our sanity on the way home-
also- if our flight leaves at 5 p.m.- what time should we get to the airport?
Mears doesn't do a regular shuttle now that they do ME...that's what we took in years past-so it's all new to us! TIA for any help!:cloud9:

kaytieeldr
12-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Cost: You need to shop around, but you can probably get a good price on a car rental. See mousesavers.com for discount codes.

Reliability: As reliable as a taxi can be (i.e. very). You would probably need a taxi van, but afaik the capacity is six passengers. Figure the cost would be about 20% higher than last time, for budgeting purposes - or, yes, you can reserve a town car. But you'd likely need a (more expensive) van - I think the capacity for a town car is four people.

It sounds like you're staying onsite - why would you not opt for Magical Express for your return to the airport?

bab31
12-25-2006, 12:19 PM
My thought is compare rental rates from the car rental on property for the day or group of days you need the car. You can take the city bus possibly for simple day trips. Use ME

hsmamato2
12-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks- we'll be bouncing around a bit while we're in Florida, and we definitely need the car for the first week- we'll be spending some time at Universal....after that- I figured the simplest option would be a taxi,since I think we won't be using a car much for the last part of our time, though of course not 100% sure....
Which is why I thought taxi-since i didn't need to plan much ahead for that,just call the day before for what we need-
Any more thoughts on taxi costs? or like the towncar option? Does a taxi hold 5 people? 2 in front,3 in back? or would we need a van?

Tess'smom
12-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Can you use ME just for your return flight? I thought that you could reserve space on the bus as long as you were staying at a Disney owned resort. We have also used Happy Limo in the past and it was fine. ME leaves pretty early from the resorts, so you would get more park time using a car service.

hsmamato2
12-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks- I'm going to check into the ME option just for returning.... I knew i could count on you guys for info! I'll check happy limo too, more time on vacation is always a priority- So glad the boards are back up.....:goodvibes

CleveRocks
12-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks- I'm going to check into the ME option just for returning.... I knew i could count on you guys for info! I'll check happy limo too, more time on vacation is always a priority- So glad the boards are back up.....:goodvibes

DME schedules pick-ups around 2.75-to-3 hours prior to flight time. From what I read, car services schedule pick-ups 2.5 hours in advance. If all else is equal to you (that is, if you're just looking for transportation and don't care about shared bus versus private vehicle), is it really worth it to you to pay around $60 for an additional 15-30 minutes?

hsmamato2
12-25-2006, 06:12 PM
...now that's what I'm talking about!:thumbsup2 Some of you folks here know details down to the minute! thanks! and no, it's not worth extra $$$ for that amount of time...

kaytieeldr
12-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Which is why I thought taxi-since i didn't need to plan much ahead for that,just call the day before for what we need-
Any more thoughts on taxi costs? or like the towncar option? Does a taxi hold 5 people? 2 in front,3 in back? or would we need a van?
A taxi-van will hold up to six (or seven - Edd?) passengers for the same cost as a 'plain old' taxi - and be more comfortable for all of you, especially the driver :)
Look here http://www.mearstransportation.com/TaxiFareEstimator.asp for fare information.

Note that you do NOT have to call a day in advance for a taxi. Bell Services (or Luggage Assistance, if you're staying at a Value resort) can get you one in a matter of minutes - assuming there isn't at least one already waiting in the parking lot for a fare.

Ideally, Edd will read this thread and post which cab companies are legitimate/authorized to operate on Disney property, as well as information about (against) using 'gypsy' cabs.