PDA

View Full Version : Question about flying with an infant on Southwest

helenk
12-21-2006, 09:43 AM
My family is going to WDW in May. My neice will be 18 months old and my sister in law plans on having her sit on her lap (no flames or discussions please)
We will be flying Southwest as I have a credit that has to be used and we are all getting SW gift certificates for Christmas...so how do we make the air reservation? Does she have to call for the reservation or can she make the air reservations for the other members in her family and just request the boarding verification pass when they check in at the airport?

Lewisc
12-21-2006, 10:09 AM
SW requires a copy of the child's birth certificate.

Don't assume you'll be able to use a child seat in an otherwise empty seat. Flights to Orlando may be sold out. Further SW may decide not to allow any free seats for lap babies if there aren't enough free seats to accomodate all of the infants.

AFAIK you just make a regular reservation.

No flames, no discussion, just a quote from SW's website:

Proper use of a child restraint device (CRD) enhances child safety on aircraft. For this reason, Southwest Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly recommend that infants and small children who weigh under 40 pounds be secured in an appropriate CRD when traveling by air.

helenk
12-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Since my neice is under 2 my sister in law will be able to provide the birth certificate with no problem.
I understand that the flight will most likely be full. I have flown to Orlando numerous times on different airlines and generally the flight is packed. The flight is about 2 hours and a half, sometimes not even that long. I suppose my sister in law feels comfortable holding her daughter.
My children are 24 and 20 so its been awhile since I've flown with a child that young.

DMRick
12-21-2006, 10:38 AM
When you make your reservation there will be a place there where you can put in the credit..right on line. On line fairs are usually cheaper, so you should book on line. You should call ahead of time and see if after you make the paying ressies, can you just call and add the baby, since I was told a baby needed a boarding pass , even if a lap baby, or is there a place to add him on the original reservation.

My family is going to WDW in May. My neice will be 18 months old and my sister in law plans on having her sit on her lap (no flames or discussions please)
We will be flying Southwest as I have a credit that has to be used and we are all getting SW gift certificates for Christmas...so how do we make the air reservation? Does she have to call for the reservation or can she make the air reservations for the other members in her family and just request the boarding verification pass when they check in at the airport?

dsneygirl
12-21-2006, 12:44 PM
We have flown 3 times with SW with our DS. The baby gets a seperate card attached to the parents boarding pass with their name and age. I was requried to provide his birth certificate each time.

goofyforlife
12-21-2006, 03:36 PM
You do have to call to add to baby to your ressie....

However, you will have to check the baby in at the airport (not on-line)

The desk will give you a yellow boarding slip for the plane for baby.

You can ask the attendant at boarding if the plane is full....If it is not they do not usually have a problem if you want to sit the baby in a seat. (although in this way you could only use the seat belt; not your own infant seat)

ducklite
12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Just don't put baby through the x-ray machine...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-1220xraymachine,0,2890895.story?track=mostemailedl ink

Anne

helenk
12-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Just don't put baby through the x-ray machine...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-1220xraymachine,0,2890895.story?track=mostemailedl ink

Anne

Oh my goodness!!! :rotfl2:

Disney Ron
12-26-2006, 04:34 AM
helenk, when you make your ressie on line, if you have a lap child, in the box for the mothers first name you have to type in the mothers name and the words plus infant.

For example let's say you are the mother, in the first name box it would look like this "Helenplusinfant". Not the infants name but the words "plusinfant". This way at the airport they would know that Helen will be there with her infant. I just did this but then decided to buy the extra seat for the babies seat.

Hope this helps.

alicenwonder99
12-26-2006, 08:24 AM
helenk, when you make your ressie on line, if you have a lap child, in the box for the mothers first name you have to type in the mothers name and the words plus infant.

For example let's say you are the mother, in the first name box it would look like this "Helenplusinfant". Not the infants name but the words "plusinfant". This way at the airport they would know that Helen will be there with her infant. I just did this but then decided to buy the extra seat for the babies seat.

Hope this helps.

Yep, this is exactly what you do. Or you can just call up SW and they can add the baby's name to your reservation.

helenk
12-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Thank you for your replies, we are going to WDW in mid May, so we are patiently waiting for those dates to open up.

Disney Ron
12-26-2006, 11:04 AM
helen, sorry I just checked it would be "helenplusinf" not "helenplusinfant".

helenk
12-26-2006, 01:16 PM
helen, sorry I just checked it would be "helenplusinf" not "helenplusinfant".

Thank you for you help. Now we have all the information we need, we just need the dates to open up.