PDA

View Full Version : Info please: MCO security walkthrough

TazFan
12-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey all,
I haven't flown since 99 and haven't had the pleasure of the new security checkpoints.

Please walk me through the security procedure at the MCO airport for the Airtran concourse. Also, this trip is with me, DW, and 2 DDs if that makes a difference.

Any advise to speed up the walkthrough?

Thanks,
TazFan

LisaS
12-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I just wanted to pass along a few tips.

You will be passing through a metal detector so you need to minimize the amount of metal you are wearing and carrying. Before I even get into the security line, I take all the change out of my pocket and remove my large metal watch and put them in a plastic bag inside my purse. My husband has a plastic bag in his carry-on bag for his change and his watch, and he also removes his belt (which has a large metal buckle). As a result, we always breeze right through the metal detector. I don't like to be delayed going through the detector because while I'm doing that, my purse is going through the baggage scanner and I don't want it sitting there unattended on the other side while I'm making multiple passes through the metal detector.

Also, be prepared to remove your shoes which must also go through the baggage scanner, along with your carry-on bag and purse.

Once you pass through the metal detector and your shoes, bag and purse have emerged from the baggage scanner, collect your things and move away from the security area. There will be chairs just beyond security where you can sit and put your shoes and belt back on, retrieve your watch from your purse, etc. You would be amazed how many people stop immediately after passing through the metal detector to put everything back on. This really clogs up the security line and slows down the process for everyone behind them.

safetymom
12-18-2006, 12:00 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1297427

I suggest you read this thread.

dsnymomof4
12-19-2006, 12:04 PM
We just flew Airtran last week out of MCO and basically after we checked our luggage, we went walked by all of the stores and went to the security checkpoint. The line seemed long, so we got right in (DH wanted to stop and browse in the stores, but I was worried about being late - turned out our flight was delayed). Anyway, while in line, we were instruced to take off our shoes. Then when we got up to the conveyor belt, we were told to make sure to put everything up and empty our pockets and take off jackets. Then we walked through the gate and retrieved our stuff. We did step to the side to get our stuff situated. They have a few chairs for people to put their shoes back on. Once through, we boarded the monorail-type transportation to go to the gate. Good luck!

TazFan
12-19-2006, 09:59 PM
We just flew Airtran last week out of MCO and basically after we checked our luggage, we went walked by all of the stores and went to the security checkpoint. The line seemed long, so we got right in (DH wanted to stop and browse in the stores, but I was worried about being late - turned out our flight was delayed). Anyway, while in line, we were instruced to take off our shoes. Then when we got up to the conveyor belt, we were told to make sure to put everything up and empty our pockets and take off jackets. Then we walked through the gate and retrieved our stuff. We did step to the side to get our stuff situated. They have a few chairs for people to put their shoes back on. Once through, we boarded the monorail-type transportation to go to the gate. Good luck!

Thanks for the walk through. That doesn't sound too bad. I imagine it will be busy Jan 2....and anything to speed our processs is appreciated.

TazFan