PDA

View Full Version : Why do people choose to rely on Disney transportation?

AngelEyes
12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
I've seen so many posts recently about long waits for Disney transportation, specifically buses. Before I go any farther, I'm not trying to start something or put down the people that choose to go this route. I would just honestly like to know why?

We are lucky in that it only takes us about 10 hours to drive to Disney from where we live. We've driven it twice so we had our own car with us. However, we've flown down there more than we have driven and we have ALWAYS rented a car. One reason is because I like knowing that if there is an emergency or I just need to go to the store, I can, but the other reason is because standing around waiting for a bus seems like pure hell to me. I always feel bad for the people that are having to wait at the end of a long day. It just seems to me that it is so much easier and less time consuming to rent a car and drive to the parks. If you're staying onsite you get free parking anyway.

Of course, my tendency to be a bit of a control freak probably factors into my decision to always rent a car too. :rolleyes:

So, my question is, why not rent a car?

jimmiej
12-14-2006, 03:47 PM
I tend to be directionaly challenged & when I'm on vacation, I don't want or need the stress. The one time we drove :scared1: , we never used our car to get around. As perplexed as you are by us bus riders, I'm equally perplexed by those who drive. To me & DW, the Disney transportation is part of the magic. The % of time we've waited over 10 minutes for a bus, monorail, or boat is miniscule.

tippy77
12-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Because Disney transportation is free and renting a car is not!

Last time I was there, in early February 2005 we never had long waits for buses; however I totally understand that during peak times the waits are much longer.

MaryKatesMom
12-14-2006, 03:52 PM
I can't imagine dealing with the hassles of renting a car. Hassles from the rental company, finding parking, taking time away from my vacation to get gas, walking from the parking lot. Not being able to go right to MK. Not to mention getting in a hot car that has been sitting in 100 degree heat all day.

I find it difficult to manage tourist traffic (stopping unexpectedly, being in the wrong lane, driving erratically while trying to find the place they are looking for. The bus drivers are professionals at avoiding the tourists and know exactly where they are going.

I enjoy at the end of a long day walking the much shorter walk to the buses, having someone pull up, plopping down on a seat, holding my DD's as we enjoy the scenery on the way home. Getting off the bus and walking the shorter distance from the bus (than the parking lot).

Also, we stay at BC and therefore walk to MGM or Epcot. No car necessary.

For awhile AK wasn't allowing car's in their parking lot on EMH until the opening so if you took Disney transportation you were at the turnstiles but if you were in a car you were in line to get into the parking lot.

Occasionally there is a glitch (getting stuck on the monorail and missing the fireworks) or the bus just doesn't show. It is annoying when you JUST miss the bus.

Even I'm guilty of thinking the bus is taking "forever" when it hasn't.

All that said, I'd still take a car to the water parks. Tranportation to those parks is much longer than the other theme parks and it it more comfortable to be in a bathing suit in a car vs a bus.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

AngelEyes
I tend to be directionaly challenged & when I'm on vacation, I don't want or need the stress. The one time we drove :scared1: , we never used our car to get around. As perplexed as you are by us bus riders, I'm equally perplexed by those who drive. To me & DW, the Disney transportation is part of the magic. The % of time we've waited over 10 minutes for a bus, monorail, or boat is miniscule.

We've used the Monorail and the boats (MK and the ones running from The Boardwalk) and have never had to wait a long amount of time. Never used the buses though. I'm glad that the waits for you have been small. Like I said, the control freak in me would just rather drive. I think that Disney does a GREAT job with their signs and we've never had a problem getting around on property. I was nervous the first time, but after that, it was smooth sailing. Do you live in a city where you rely on public transportation alot, like New York? I don't. I drive everywhere I go. That might factor into it as well.

cleo
Our friends from overseas also have the added stress of driving on what they would consider the 'wrong side of the road', AND they are required to purchase the expensive insurance that goes along with renting a car. They can't rely on their normal insurance to cover a hire car, as we can.

Some families don't have the budget for the extra expense of a rental and count themselves lucky to be visiting Disney at all. I'm sure there are lots of reasons why people would use Disney transportation. And frankly, it isn't always slow and inconvenient. Sometimes it's actually easier!

AngelEyes
12-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Because Disney transportation is free and renting a car is not!

Last time I was there, in early February 2005 we never had long waits for buses; however I totally understand that during peak times the waits are much longer.

That is a good point about the cost. How do you get to Disney property from the airport and what are the costs involved, if any? We had to take a cab one time cause our flight got delayed and by the time we got there, the rental car place was closed, and it was more expensive then I thought it would be.

CheshireVal
12-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I drive to Disney, so I always have my own car available if I want it. However, to me, half the fun of Disney is the *immersive* experience of it all. I love being able to park my car and then not look at it or think about it again until it's time to go home. I can have a few drinks and not worry about driving. I don't have to worry about directions or filling up with gas or any of it.

Driving reminds me of the "real world," and that's not what I want when I'm at Disney!

And anyway, I've had a few annoyingly long waits for buses, but most of the time Disney transport is pretty efficient in its own way.

AngelEyes
12-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Our friends from overseas also have the added stress of driving on what they would consider the 'wrong side of the road', AND they are required to purchase the expensive insurance that goes along with renting a car. They can't rely on their normal insurance to cover a hire car, as we can.

Some families don't have the budget for the extra expense of a rental and count themselves lucky to be visiting Disney at all. I'm sure there are lots of reasons why people would use Disney transportation. And frankly, it isn't always slow and inconvenient. Sometimes it's actually easier!

Another GREAT point about your friends from across the pond. I have a friend that is coming over next summer and he is nervous about renting a car for the same reason.

Great discussion so far everyone! Keep it up! :thumbsup2

Lewisc
12-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Many guests, unintentionally, exaggerate wait times. Last trip I only had to wait more than 5 minutes once. I boarded the bus and was on my way in about the length of time it would have taken me to get to my car.

Prior to DME I would rent a car, not that much more than ground transfers. Now I don't see the need to spend the money. I can always supplement Disney transportation with an occasional taxi.

Horace Horsecollar
12-14-2006, 04:07 PM
That is a good point about the cost. How do you get to Disney property from the airport and what are the costs involved, if any?
Transportation from Orlando International to Disney-operated resorts is free (with advance reservations), using Disney's Magical Express (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/benefitDetail?id=BenefitDMEDetailPage).

Bus, monorail, and boat service within WDW is free.

(Okay, nothing at Disney is really free ó we pay for it indirectly. But you aren't charged a dime more if you use Magical Express and WDW Transportation than if you don't.)

There can be time involved waiting for a bus, monorail, or boat ó but there's also time involved getting to your car at your resort and getting from some remote corner of a theme park parking lot to that park's entrance (especially at the Magic Kingdom).

Finally, if someone likes to have wine or other adult drinks with dinner, it's good to let somebody else (Disney) do the driving.

Wish I lived in Fl
12-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Because of the crazy driving in the WDW area. Last trip DH rented a car and did the driving. On one trip back to Cypress Palms we counted 10 cars coming to a sudden stop to make a turn. Two cars actually drove in reverse on major roads to their missed turnoffs. By the 10th car we were laughing hysterically at all the lost tourists but they could have caused major accidents.

AngelEyes
12-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Transportation from Orlando International to Disney-operated resorts is free (with advance reservations), using Disney's Magical Express (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/benefitDetail?id=BenefitDMEDetailPage).

Bus, monorail, and boat service within WDW is free.

(Okay, nothing at Disney is really free ó we pay for it indirectly. But you aren't charged a dime more if you use Magical Express and WDW Transportation than if you don't.)

There can be time involved waiting for a bus, monorail, or boat ó but there's also time involved getting to your car at your resort and getting from some remote corner of a theme park parking lot to that park's entrance (especially at the Magic Kingdom).

Finally, if someone likes to have wine or other adult drinks with dinner, it's good to let somebody else (Disney) do the driving.

I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the Magical Express. It seems to me, so far, that cost and getting away from driving altogether for a few days are the main reasons. I do hate driving to the MK, no doubt. Well, the drive isn't bad, getting from your car to the entrance can be a pain. Good point about the drinking too. We've always had our kids with us, but I dream about the day I can drink my way around the World Showcase. ;)

WillCAD
12-14-2006, 04:19 PM
I've always been a die-hard renter, but I do understand the reasons why people choose not to rent.

1) Cost - Disney transportation is free for on-site Guests, and with the advent of DME your airport transfers, which previously cost you $80-$100 with a towncar company or taxi, are also free.
Will's Take: Doesn't bother me to spent $100-$150 on a rental car in exchange for the convenience, time savings, and maximum flexibility that a rental car gives me. YMMV.

2) Directionaly challenged - some folks get lost easily in an unfamiliar city, and that can be a terribly frightening experience for some.
Will's Take: I get lost at the drop of a hat even in Baltimore, so I'm used to it - plus I have discovered some great stuff entirely by accident when taking wrong turns!

3) Hassle - to some folks, especially those who drive for a living or have long commutes, self-driving is a chore that they can easily live without. These folks love the pampered feeling that they get from hopping a bus, boat, or monorail instead of driving themselves.
Will's Take: That's just crazy talk! To me, driving is like breathing - if I can't do it for myself, I turn blue and pass out. I MUST have control of my own destiny! Not to mention my own destination...

4) Booze - part of many folks' vacation experience is to have dinner in one of the many fabulous WDW restaurants, sometimes with an alcholholic beverage or two (Disney has some very tasty choices in adult beverages, I tell ya WHUT!) And many of us enjoy an evening at Pleasure Island as part of our WDW experience, too - and what's PI without a Kungaloosh?! So the responsible among us leave the driving to those stone-cold-sober DIsney bus drivers instead of risking their lives and everyone elses lives by getting behind the wheel after a few of those pineapple thingies they serve at the Tambu Lounge.
Will's Take: DAMN RIGHT!! I rent on every trip, but any time I plan on having even ONE SINGLE alchoholic beverage, even if it's with a huge dinner at 'Ohana, I leave the car in my resort's parking lot and take the bus. Better safe than dead, I always say.

luvdisney77
12-14-2006, 04:20 PM

ICAM! If I have to take my own car everywhere (through traffic and parking) than why am I staying at a Disney resort in the first place? For us, it is not having the hassle of extra gas expenses, and not having to hunt down a parking spot AND our car at the end of the night. I agree, we never wait more than 5 -10 minutes. But we drive down to Orlando (14 hours from here) so we actually always have our car, we just don't use it very often.

AngelEyes
12-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Because of the crazy driving in the WDW area. Last trip DH rented a car and did the driving. On one trip back to Cypress Palms we counted 10 cars coming to a sudden stop to make a turn. Two cars actually drove in reverse on major roads to their missed turnoffs. By the 10th car we were laughing hysterically at all the lost tourists but they could have caused major accidents.

Wow! The traffic in and around Orlando can get pretty crazy, there is no doubt about that. See, here is where the control freak takes over for me again. I would rather be driving in the bad traffic than someone else driving me in the bad traffic. I trust my driving more than I do someone else's. Still haven't been able to talk any of the pilot's into letting me fly the plane though. :)

AngelEyes
12-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I MUST have control of my own destiny! Not to mention my own destination...

Were we seperated at birth? :lmao:

CleveRocks
12-14-2006, 04:33 PM
I've never rented a car at WDW, and I never want to. When I go to WDW, I have absolutely no interest in leaving Disney property. No offense to Central Floridians, but I just don't need to go out among you in your native habitat. I'm sure we're very much alike, except that I own more sweaters, and you have a better knowledge of really big bugs.

I enjoy being in what I call the "Disney cocoon." I LOVE the fact that my car is at my home airport, and that my car key is in my room safe for an entire week. I've gotta drive every day of my life, so I truly relish a week when I don't have to drive.

That's just me. I love it that after a long hot day at the parks I can get onto an air conditioned bus that hasn't been baking in the sun all day, and get off my feet and turn off my brain for a few minutes.

The only time I don't like the buses is after Wishes or some other event like that when the equivalent of the population of Kansas City leaves the park all at the same time and tries to squeeze into 15 buses. However, I'd STILL rather do that than rent a car.

The money-saving aspect is nice, too. But for me the main thing is voluntarily GIVING UP control and, literally and figuratively, letting someone else drive for a few days. I have to be so tightly in-control during the rest of my life, but at WDW I can let go and r-e-l-a-x.

CleveRocks
12-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Wow! The traffic in and around Orlando can get pretty crazy, there is no doubt about that. See, here is where the control freak takes over for me again. I would rather be driving in the bad traffic than someone else driving me in the bad traffic. I trust my driving more than I do someone else's. Still haven't been able to talk any of the pilot's into letting me fly the plane though. :)
Aaaah ... now the "evil" side of my therapist head has taken control of my hands at the keyboard ....

The control you feel when you're driving is an illusion. The REAL people in control are all the other drivers who are whizzing past you in the opposite direction at 45 MPH, with the only thing separating life and death being a 2-dimensional yellow line, about 1 or 2 feet of space, and the hope that none of those other people just broke up with a spouse, didn't forget to take their antidepresssants for the past few weeks, didn't just get distracted by the end of their cigarette falling into their lap, and so on ....

mwerner2
12-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I've rented cars and I 've ridden the buses, and the only reason I would ever rent another car is because I have a timeshare that I sometimes use in Orlando.

I would far rather ride the buses. If you count the time spent finding a parking spot, walking to the tram and riding the tram to the entrance, I don't think that "time" is really the issue. (Especially if you've ever spent 1/2 hour *LOOKING* for your car in those vast parking lots because you were sure you parked in "Goofy".) It is an especially long way from the parking lot at Magic Kingdom.

I like climbing into the nice air conditioned bus and collapsing while someone else does the driving. Even if I have to wait a few minutes for the bus it is relatively stress-free to relax and people-watch during the wait.

Driving a car around WDW, while not especially hard, is *NOT* relaxing, and the only real fight I've ever gotton into while boarding Disney transportation happened on a tram.

It probably really boils down to control. Those who have to have control will drive themselves.

PeachesDoesHair
12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
We don't want to drive. And, $150-200 is a lot to us, so we would rather use the free transportation and buy something to take home with us.

elwise1966
12-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Here are my reasons:

1) I'm on vacation...Let someone else drive for a change.
2) That extra $150-$200 can be spent on more important things (like Mickey Bars and Dole Whips)
3) I can't afford the speeding tickets I would get trying to get to the parks to get my fix
4) Falling asleep at the wheel after a long day at the parks is not fun. I don't want to spend my vacation dead.
5) I can always count on the bus drivers for a few wisecracks...Priceless!

CharityLynn
12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
We just started driving to Disney this year (20 hour trip give or take) so we totally use Disney transportation, I mean after that many hours behind the wheel its nice to just sit. Also when we have left MK at the end of the day the line for the monorail scares me..so does the bus line but eh..I'd rather not drive when I'm that tired.

seashoreCM
12-14-2006, 05:46 PM
The buses are carefree.

But I sometimes still rent a car because:
1. I often go offsite for dinner (okay, go ahead and call me a Disney traitor)
2. I can get all ready for the water park up in my room, no having to lug stuff.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

kaytieeldr
12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
I think that Disney does a GREAT job with their signs and we've never had a problem getting around on property. When you leave Epcot, and follow the signs for Downtown Disney, as you approach a certain intersection there's a sign that says "Downtown Disney Next Left". I tried three nights in a row to 'interpret' that sign - I got lost three nights in a row (differently each night). I found out later, the "next left" that I was taking literally? It's a Cast Member road and Disney doesn't count it when it comes to that signage!

See, here is where the control freak takes over for me again. I would rather be driving in the bad traffic than someone else driving me in the bad traffic. I trust my driving more than I do someone else's. Well... if you say so... but I figure, that someone else drives in and around that area at least several days a week. I'm there twice, maybe three times a year. I mean, do YOU want to drive around Boston traffic, or would you rather have me drive - keeping in mind, I've been doing it almost every weekday for the last three years.

Now, my take. If I'm going to spend the entire trip at Walt Disney World, I won't rent a car. I'm on vacation, I'm relaxing (yeah, even at WDW), so if it takes fifteen or twenty minutes for a bus to show up, I'll live. If I needed to be somewhere at a specific time, I should have started early enough to get there.
On the other hand, if I'm visiting two or three of the Orlando-area parks, yeah, I'll rent a car. I started a trip offsite a couple (has it been that long?) of years ago, and moved over to OKW on Sunday. I also had an ECV. Once I got to the resort, I didn't touch the car again until Thursday, and then only because I felt guilty about having it and not using it!

Fafolguy
12-14-2006, 07:17 PM
I haven't decided if we'lldepend on the busses or not just yet. We're driving the 9 hours from Birmingham, and will have the car available. Might see how it goes and take the bus to the park in the am, then drive back after our afternoon break.

TAKitty
12-14-2006, 07:32 PM
We love Disney transportation. My Dh and I drive an hour each day just to go to work. Yes, that is another hour back home. Not to have to drive at Disney is wonderful! :goodvibes

mom*to*2*princesses
12-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Part of the reason we love WDW so much is that we don't have to deal with many of the stresses of every day life, especially dealing with a car. We love not having to drive in a strange city full of tourists, park in huge parking lots, or find our car at the end of a long day!

robinb
12-14-2006, 08:01 PM
We *always* used to rent a car, but we found that when we go over NYE it's impossible to park so our car would end up sitting at the resort. Now that Magical Express is FREE (yay!) we can get to WDW and not worry about finding parking. We took ME on our last trip in August to save $$ and we ended up taking a cab twice: once to AKL. We shared the cabs with my sister's family so it cost us $20 total. A car would have cost almost $200.

Poohbear123
12-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Don't own a Drivers License, so I rely on ME and on site busses/trams/monorails etc. :thumbsup2

jimmiej
12-14-2006, 08:18 PM
I've never rented a car at WDW, and I never want to. When I go to WDW, I have absolutely no interest in leaving Disney property. No offense to Central Floridians, but I just don't need to go out among you in your native habitat. I'm sure we're very much alike, except that I own more sweaters, and you have a better knowledge of really big bugs.

I enjoy being in what I call the "Disney cocoon." I LOVE the fact that my car is at my home airport, and that my car key is in my room safe for an entire week. I've gotta drive every day of my life, so I truly relish a week when I don't have to drive.

That's just me. I love it that after a long hot day at the parks I can get onto an air conditioned bus that hasn't been baking in the sun all day, and get off my feet and turn off my brain for a few minutes.

The only time I don't like the buses is after Wishes or some other event like that when the equivalent of the population of Kansas City leaves the park all at the same time and tries to squeeze into 15 buses. However, I'd STILL rather do that than rent a car.

The money-saving aspect is nice, too. But for me the main thing is voluntarily GIVING UP control and, literally and figuratively, letting someone else drive for a few days. I have to be so tightly in-control during the rest of my life, but at WDW I can let go and r-e-l-a-x.

My thoughts exactly!

Violet Crayon
12-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Poor college students (using holiday money to travel) = relying on free transportation

I also use the bus system, here, to get to school and work so I am used to it all. In fact, I expect to see the system at WDW as more efficient and timely, ha.

TDC Nala
12-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Wine with dinner. Drinks at PI. Rose & Crown. Et cetera.

mwehttam
12-15-2006, 12:23 AM
When we are there this coming July we will have our car since we will be driving down or taking the autotrain. It will be DW, DS (6 weeks old now; will be 8 months on trip) and myself. Though we will have our car, I plan at leaving it at SSR and not move it once unless we need something for the baby. As many have said previous, the busses are part of the magic. One poster hit the nail on the head about your car baking in the sun all day. I want to avid my car sitting in the July heat and will like the AC'd bus.

-Matt

blestmom
12-15-2006, 02:56 AM
The first two times I went to Disney with 5 kids by myself, and stayed in the FW cabins. It was off-season and the busses were easy. We didn't have the extra expense of a car, and we enjoyed the busses. The last time, and the next time we go, we are staying off-site, so a car will be easier. We've done it both ways. Just depends.

brightspark
12-15-2006, 03:07 AM
Coming from the UK it's a big thing to hire a car... wrong side of the road driving, new road laws etc, and we'll get a taxi if we really need one to go outside of WDW (although having said that my sis and I did use the public buses.... hope you're impressed) when we were there!

This coming trip we are hiring a car though to get us to Vero Beach and back so wish us luck!!!

pepe of ohio
12-15-2006, 05:14 AM
As the next poster stated, we're on vacation, love doing Disney ,not driving anywhere plus the wasted money on renting a car when transportation is provided for free with very little wait. We do not go during the summer months and part of our magic is walking down to the boat or bus and taking the ride to our next fun place, same on returning, its no big issue waiting for a bus or boat. On property you're going to stand and wait for something, why take your money and rent a car when other things require a wait. Life is too short to be worried about 10 minutes here or there, relax, enjoy the sights and leave the driving to Ddisney.

Luvchefmic
12-15-2006, 05:22 AM
I usually stay off site once a yr & on site once a yr... last visit I stayed at POP, first time in 3 yrs I flew down and didn't have a car..at first I was absolutely freaked hearing all the horror RUMORS about WDW transportation well to anyone who ever posted anything negative about the transportation I say :badpc:

I arrived at MCO and had my first experience of letting Disney take care of me completely.... "Magical Express" what a pleasure! My vacation started the minute they swept me up. I have been going to WDW since the early 80's and usually don't use Disney's transportation at all, not the monorails, the buses, nothing...only the ferry over to MK..well let me tell you I LOVED it!

I even took the boat over to Ft Wilderness for horseback riding & Mickey's Backyard B-B-Q and I felt like I was seeing WDW for the first time in a long time.....and I had the best seat in the house when the boat returning to MK from Ft Wilderness was in the right place at the right time for WISHES fireworks and the Capt just let the boat drift while we all were Oooohs! & Aaaahs!

I only needed to have a car once to go food shopping as I had arranged to be part of a fridge swap at POP for my long stay so I got a cab..w/tip about $30 R/T

If staying on site why not use Disney transportation ? I've been silly for decades not using it

MomofCKJ
12-15-2006, 05:51 AM

This cracked me up! :rotfl2:

We are using ****** to get from the airport to hotel today and then back next week. I didn't want to use ME and have to get to the airport soooo early on our return. That plus the grocery stop made it worth the $100.

No rental car though. Didn't want to spend more $$$$, didn't want to drive in FL (used to go to college there, sorry Floridians but you guys are nuts on the road, mostly the tourists and snowbirds) and if we have a wine with dinner all will be well as we board our bus. We even budgeted some cash for cab rides should the bus lines be too long for us some nights.

Allyson

simzac
12-15-2006, 06:02 AM
The reason we don't drive is that we are on vacation, and the last thing I want to do is drive around in an area I am unfamiliar with along with many other people in the same position. Very stressful to me. We are never in a hurry to go anywhere when at WDW, so the transportation works fine for us. I'm just the opposite of the OP, I will never understand why someone would want to drive while at WDW. JMO

arielsleepingbeauty
12-15-2006, 06:04 AM
I use both a rental car and Disney Transportation. I rent a car, but never leave Disney Property except coming and going. On the way we make a quick stop to the local Walmart to pick up a cooler and some snacks, but that's it. We only use the car to drive to the park when it opens and when we are doen for the day. We will use Disney Transportation to go back to Pop Century during the day or the the Marketplace. I hate to drive while I am on vacation, but waiting in a long line after the park closes would really put me over the edge. I admit that I am impatient and when my kids are tired after a long day, I just want to go.
I think it's great that Disney offers transportation to it's guests. I don't want to pay a rental car fee, but I split it with my mother so it works out to about the same to get transportation from the airport to the resort and back.

AngelEyes
12-15-2006, 08:11 AM
When you leave Epcot, and follow the signs for Downtown Disney, as you approach a certain intersection there's a sign that says "Downtown Disney Next Left". I tried three nights in a row to 'interpret' that sign - I got lost three nights in a row (differently each night). I found out later, the "next left" that I was taking literally? It's a Cast Member road and Disney doesn't count it when it comes to that signage!

Well... if you say so... but I figure, that someone else drives in and around that area at least several days a week. I'm there twice, maybe three times a year. I mean, do YOU want to drive around Boston traffic, or would you rather have me drive - keeping in mind, I've been doing it almost every weekday for the last three years.

Now, my take. If I'm going to spend the entire trip at Walt Disney World, I won't rent a car. I'm on vacation, I'm relaxing (yeah, even at WDW), so if it takes fifteen or twenty minutes for a bus to show up, I'll live. If I needed to be somewhere at a specific time, I should have started early enough to get there.
On the other hand, if I'm visiting two or three of the Orlando-area parks, yeah, I'll rent a car. I started a trip offsite a couple (has it been that long?) of years ago, and moved over to OKW on Sunday. I also had an ECV. Once I got to the resort, I didn't touch the car again until Thursday, and then only because I felt guilty about having it and not using it!

Yes, if I'm ever in Boston, you can drive me, no doubt! ;) I was a little nervous the first time I did it, but I feel like I know Orlando really well, the parts that I go to, and I know the roads in Disney extremely well. I've never driven in a huge city like Boston or New York. I would definetely want to be a passenger for a while before I attemtped to drive in that mess. :thumbsup2

AngelEyes
12-15-2006, 08:13 AM

I definately see your point! :thumbsup2 As far as the control thing that you mentioned in your other post, I actually know what all the other drivers are thinking and getting ready to do, so it really is safer for me to drive. :teeth:

AngelEyes
12-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Just wanted to say that this has been a great thread with a lot of great posts. You guys and gals have answered my question dozens of times over. Thanks!! :goodvibes

goofy4tink
12-15-2006, 08:38 AM
The only time we have rented a car while at WDW was when we had to drive over to Tampa. We live in the suburbs, about 30 miles west of Boston, so we never ride public transit. All driving is in our cars, everywhere!!! But, when in WDW, we prefer to use the buses. I've found that the worst bus transportation is to, and from, DTD. So, I plan on an extra 30-40 commuting time to get to and from there. In fact, that's one of the big reasons I just don't go over to DTD all that much anymore....way too time consuming. But, for the most part, the buses to the parks are pretty frequent. Yes, I realize that when you're standing, or sitting, there..waiting, it seems much longer. When I was at the Dolphin last week, I checked my watch frequently, just to see what the waits were like. What seemed like 30 mins was in all actuality more like 10 mins of wait time. I never waited more than 20 mins for a bus, and that one time was when I got to the bus stop just as the MK bus was pulling away.
I really don't want the hassle of driving around on WDW property. Yes, there is pretty decent signage, but it can still be confusing. There are plenty of 'unknowledgable' drivers out there, on the roads. You don't need me added to the mix!!!!
I use DME as often as possible. Then, I try to stay at Epcot resorts so I can walk to Epcot and the Studios, or take the boats. I'm on vacation and don't really mind waiting for the bus. Even my type A, control freak dh doesn't mind the buses!!! He says that's when he realizes he is actually in WDW!!!! He's on vacation and wants to 'leave the driving' to them!!

Disneyfan63
12-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi,

Want another answer? I use Disney Transit because, lacking a driver's license, I have no other viable choice. After retinal detachment surgery in 1980, the summer before I was to take driver ed. in high school, my surgeon forbid me to take the course. I never have taken driving lessons.

Jim

AngelEyes
12-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi,

Want another answer? I use Disney Transit because, lacking a driver's license, I have no other viable choice. After retinal detachment surgery in 1980, the summer before I was to take driver ed. in high school, my surgeon forbid me to take the course. I never have taken driving lessons.

Jim

Probably the best reason so far. My wife is the clinic supervisor for an eye doctor here in Greensboro, and she has MANY retinal detachment stories. I know when I hear her say those 2 words it's a serious situation. Did you fully recover?

crisi
12-15-2006, 01:11 PM
1. Don't enjoy driving - particularly strange roads. Neither does my husband.
2. Husband is a car snob - if he is going to drive, better make it worth his while - no such thing as a $200 week rental for us.
3. Like to suppliment with cabs - so the waiting thing isn't a deal - in a rush, grab a cab.
4. Directionally challenged - did you know there are three Tower of Terror signs between MK and Epcot? - at least there are when we drive.
5. Stay at Boardwalk - our need for buses/cabs is limited to AK and MK and the occational resort or DTD trip - and even people who rent will take a bus to MK to avoid the MK parking situation.
6. Agree on the central Florida thing. Disneyworld is a nice place to visit. Central Florida I pass through on my way back and forth to the airport - and feel I've spent way to much time there just doing that.
7. Have had two horrible car rental experiences at MCO - one where we got overcharged, one where we waited two hours for a car with small kids.

KirstenB
12-15-2006, 06:41 PM
When we are there this coming July we will have our car since we will be driving down or taking the autotrain. It will be DW, DS (6 weeks old now; will be 8 months on trip) and myself. Though we will have our car, I plan at leaving it at SSR and not move it once unless we need something for the baby. As many have said previous, the busses are part of the magic. One poster hit the nail on the head about your car baking in the sun all day. I want to avid my car sitting in the July heat and will like the AC'd bus.

-Matt

You're smart to have your car with you with a baby. I've never appreciated our car more than when I was holding a sweaty, over-tired 7 mth old in the OKW bus line. Although your baby is probably more easy-natured than ours were.

DonnaL
12-15-2006, 07:00 PM
We do use monorail transportation at times and also boat transportation when we're staying at BWV (MGM and Epcot) and VWL (MK). However, on one of our trips last year DH and I decided to take the bus for whatever reason and after spending 20 minutes waiting for a bus, then making umpteen stops and finally arriving at our destination almost an hour later he said "NOW I remember why we don't use the buses" Also, it really becomes a pain when you want to go from one resort to another.......the transfer at DTD or a park makes for a really long trip.

ztbz
12-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Let me try to explain some of the mindset of what goes on at Downtown Disney at least in the minds of the WDW Bus management. You see Disney does not want to spend a lot of money on transportation going to or from Downtown Disney, Why you may ask, because Disney feels it does not make enough revenue at the Downtown Disney complex to justify the amount of buses needed to run the routes smoothly. Disney will normally have more buses running to the parks (usually about 50 to 60 buses are allocated to run on the park routes compared to about 30 to 35 buses allocated for Downtown Disney). Also for those guests, who stay at Pop Century resort, guess which area is in-charge of ALL Bus Transportation routes that are leaving the Pop before 11 am. Thatís right Downtown Disney is the area in charge of bus service at the Pop Century and it gets worst because Downtown Disney work area has to spilt the buses up between those routes going from other resorts to Downtown Disney and routes that leave the Pop before 11 am going to the parks. In the morning most times there are 30 to 35 buses for Downtown Disney and Pop Century routes, then about 8 to 10 buses are shut down for the afternoon starting at 11 am and they donít go back up until around 5 or 6 pm at night when about 45 buses are running. The worst time to try to get to Downtown Disney is around 5 to 8 pm, during this time period, is when the parks are closing and its also dinner time at Downtown Disney, I would try to avoid this time frame if its all possible during your travels to Walt Disney World.

One note beginning at around 10:30 in the morning through night time, a Dispatcher is usually in place at the Marketplace bus stop (They will normally try to hide, as they are the ones responsible along with the Computer for the wait times at Downtown Disney work location). Just look for a white van nearby the bus stops. So if you feel the wait time is long when your there, it canít hurt to go up and ask when the next dispatch is for the route you are looking for when going back to your resort. (The have been many times when guest would come up to me at the Marketplace asking when their bus would be coming and I will simply point the guest over to the white van and tell them to ask the Dispatcher).

:santa:

mwehttam
12-16-2006, 01:09 AM
You're smart to have your car with you with a baby. I've never appreciated our car more than when I was holding a sweaty, over-tired 7 mth old in the OKW bus line. Although your baby is probably more easy-natured than ours were.

I don't know. He is only 7 weeks old this Monday so his personality is still a slight mystery. He is very attentive, looking around and likes to sleep in the car. If we decide to drive down in July I hope he is still the same way.

-Matt

Disneyfan63
12-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Hi AngelEyes,

Yes, I have fully recovered from the surgery. The cryotherapy (freezing) of my eyes (an operation to repair 20 tears and detachment of my right eye on August 8, 1980, and a "minor" operation to repair two tears but no detachment in my left eye on August 13, 1980) created scar tissue on my retinas that make my eyes even stronger--better able to withstand stress--than before the operation. Full recovery--removal of all medical restrictions--took nearly two years.

For those that don't know, the retina is an extension of the optic nerve consisting of rod- and cone-shaped cells that allow you to see shapes and colors. When a retina is detached, things look distorted and often colorless. I often saw "floaters" (which are a byproduct of the corrective surgery as well) and part of my visual field with eyes closed was white. That's called a curtain, and left untreated would have covered my entire visual field and blinded me within four days. A detached retina must be treated ASAP. I was in the hospital two days after the August 5, 1980 diving incident and in surgery a day later.

My uncorrected eyesight in each eye is now 20/2000 (anything 20 feet away looks to me like it's almost half a mile distant) but glasses correct it to 20/30 left eye and 20/40 right. I wouldn't try to drive because I wouldn't be able to see things in time, but the Lord preserved my eyesight through the wonderful health professionals at Wills Eye Hospital in Philly.

Sorry about this rant, but I thought I'd let you know.

Jim

wishes_do_cometrue
12-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey if anyone has Q's about the tranpartation :moped:
juat ask becase i parctecly know anything about CBR transpertation :moped:
Just in my word just call the front desk :surfweb: and they will give you a wake up call

p.s. please reply :simba: :stitch: :mickeybar :sulley: :tigger: :ccat: :mickeyjum