PDA

View Full Version : Can I travel with an expired ID?

PrincessJasmine08
12-14-2006, 01:52 PM
We will be in Disney December 26-January 8. My birthday is December 31st. That is also the day my driver's license expires. I know I will be able to get through security on the way down, but what about on the way back when my license is expired? If I just bring my passport, is that considered a valid form of ID?

bleeps
12-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Why not just renew before you go? Otherwise, a passport is valid id (check your airline's web site or tsa.gov (I *think* that's the right URL).

Tasmen
12-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Bring your passport and use that instead of your license. I would not risk using an expired ID at the airport. Techincally, if an ID is expired, it isn't valid. I've had friends use expired ID before with no problem, but I believe it's completely dependent on the person that checks your ID. If they are in a bad mood or a stickler for details, they could deny you based on you not having valid ID. If you have a passport, just bring it :)

PrincessJasmine08
12-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I will just bring my passport since I have one. I'll check with Southwest first. The thing is that I can't renew before I go because this is going to be my 21st birthday. They won't give you a new license before the exact minute you turn 21 because otherwise you could purchase alcohol too early. The passport should work though!

CleveRocks
12-14-2006, 04:49 PM
The passport is the grand-daddy of IDs. It is the gold standard. The rule is "government-issued ID." The U.S. government qualifies as a government, so yes, you can use it.

Actually, I never fly without my passport. I find it more convenient. My wife and I keep our driver's licenses in our wallets, so we never have to fumble with them. We keep our passports with our travel documents, so when we have to show a boarding pass or ticket, for example, the passports are in the same travel folder.

Yzerbear19
12-14-2006, 05:07 PM
I see you live in Ohio, do they charge an extra fee if you don't renew it by the time it expires? I know in Michigan there is an extra fee if not renewed by the date of expiration and you can renew it before then, even at 21. My sister just got her paperwork to renew hers which expires in January. She already mailed it back in to make sure she has a current one for when we go and to avoid the extra fee.

I will just bring my passport since I have one. I'll check with Southwest first. The thing is that I can't renew before I go because this is going to be my 21st birthday. They won't give you a new license before the exact minute you turn 21 because otherwise you could purchase alcohol too early. I'm confused, why would you be able to purchase alcohol too early? Most places check the BIRTHDATE when seeing if you are eligible and wouldn't allow you to purchase alcohol if its before your birthday. Its your BIRTHDATE that matters.

salmoneous
12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Many states have very different ID's for under-21's than over 21's. Nobody under 21 is supposed to have the over-21 form. They can't give you an over-21 ID until you are actually 21, lest some lazy clerk see the over-21 form and sell you beer (gasp, the horrors) without checking the actual date.

Yzerbear19
12-14-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty sure I had my over 21 liscense before I was 21 because I had the real one on my 21st birthday and that takes up to 2 weeks to come by the mail.

disneyldwjr
12-14-2006, 06:54 PM
I will just bring my passport since I have one. I'll check with Southwest first. The thing is that I can't renew before I go because this is going to be my 21st birthday. They won't give you a new license before the exact minute you turn 21 because otherwise you could purchase alcohol too early. The passport should work though!

SWA does not make the rules, the TSA does. Your passport is a photo ID which is acceptable, in fact, probably the best ID there is.

mom*to*2*princesses
12-14-2006, 09:56 PM
I agree--go with the passport. :thumbsup2 And happy early birthday!

DVC-Don
12-15-2006, 07:54 AM
I use only my passport when flying.

kaytieeldr
12-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Really Don? The airlines don't insist you also use your seatbelt? :umbrella: ;)

Lewisc
12-15-2006, 10:00 AM
SWA does not make the rules, the TSA does. Your passport is a photo ID which is acceptable, in fact, probably the best ID there is.

Weren't you the poster who proved the TSA doesn't require photo ID, they only request it? :goodvibes Another poster said the government was pressuring the airlines to require photo ID since it wasn't clear if the TSA can require it. I'm sure SW won't have any problem with a license that expired while you were on vacation.

The OP has a passport and should use it.

For anyone else in this circumstance. Allow extra time in the airport, you may be subject to additional screening. Of course you'll be allowed to return home even though your license expired when you were away. If necessary explain that the license isn't mailed until your birthday. Some states mail the license a week before your birthday, you might get it before you leave.

PrincessJasmine08
12-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Many states have very different ID's for under-21's than over 21's. Nobody under 21 is supposed to have the over-21 form. They can't give you an over-21 ID until you are actually 21, lest some lazy clerk see the over-21 form and sell you beer (gasp, the horrors) without checking the actual date.
In Ohio the under 21 ID is vertical. The over 21 are horizontal. According to the BMV who I spoke with I cannot get the over 21 one even one day early.

CPT Tripss
12-15-2006, 04:40 PM
From the TSA website.
"We encourage each adult traveler to keep his/her airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID available until exiting the security checkpoint. The absence of proper identification will result in additional screening ."

ID is not required but you will get the full grope without it.

Passports have mush less personal information on them, so I prefer using it over my Driver's License to minimize the risk of identity theft.