PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain with Lights on

Diz whiz
12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEd8rGhKEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4-pqpKb2H4

Dustin
12-11-2006, 01:37 PM
that was pretty cool. believe it or not though, you can see quite a lot once your eyes adjust. This is my favorite ride ever!!!

schmitty
12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Haha the 2nd link is my video.

maleficent_man
12-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Tis interesting....while it would be cool to see, I think I'd still prefer to do it in the dark.

Luv2Travel
12-11-2006, 05:41 PM
That's it? Does it really go that slow? Where are the hills? I haven't ridden this ride in 20 years (because I've become a HUGE chicken in my old age :rotfl2: ), but I think I might could handle that! BTMRR is my favorite ride and SM doesn't look any worse than BTMRR. Is it? Does one side have more drops than the other? Thanks for the link! I love YouTube. :teeth:

rluey29
12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
No space mountain is really mild. With the lights out it seems faster than it really is.

marivaid
12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey, I may just try this after all ! Doesnt look that scary. No huge drop ,unless I missed it?

HSMndLKfan92
12-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Garsh. I love Space Mountain. <3
I can't believe the first video was taken on the right side. (From entering the final queue room.)

I prefer the left side.

bytheblood
12-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Is it jerky? Like worse than Dino?

Also, do the lights mess with you and cause motion sickness?

ernste40
12-12-2006, 10:48 AM
We were just there two weeks ago and watched Space Mountain with the lights on from the line. The CM told us that if it takes too long for someone to exit the ride at the end, the system automatically shuts down and needs to be reset. So, the lights come on and they walk the entire track. The whole process takes about 15 minutes. At the end of the reset, the first few trains that are already filled get to ride with the lights on. It looks extremely tame. The CM also informed us that Space Mountain's top speed is 23 mph. There's your fun fact of the day.

E

trypnotic
12-12-2006, 10:53 AM
The ride was shutdown for awhile this Sunday and we caught SM in the lights via the TTA. By the time I fumbled for my camcorder, we were already on our way out - didn't bother going around for a second TTA ride.

DisneyLandMan
09-20-2007, 01:42 PM
its a cool site to see it with teh lights on, but i wouldnt want them on all the time.

streudel423
09-20-2007, 01:46 PM
awesome, thanks!

Dalton5
09-20-2007, 02:12 PM
We were in line last week when the announcement was made that the ride closed....My DS18 and I looked at each other and yelled "to the TTA" The rest of our family thought we were nuts. But we got to see it with the lights on. Totally cool!!!

Stitchfans
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Oh my!!!:eek:

Neelloc
09-20-2007, 02:44 PM
We were riding the TTA this past Monday when we went through SM and the lights were on. I've seen it before, but DH hadn't. For years, he was insisting that it was just a "wild mouse in the dark." After seeing the inner workings, he admitted it was certainly more than a wild mouse. :lmao:

Rustysmom
09-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I didn't see the video because I have stupid dial-up, but we went on Space Mountain with the lights on a few weeks ago. It was the first time in 10 years that I was on it, and the first time ever for my DS, and during the whole ride I kept saying "This doesn't look right, it's supposed to be dark!" The ride was horrible with the lights on. It seemed to go so slow.

After we rode, they shut the ride down. Finally, the next day I was able to ride it in the dark. Ahhh, much better!

ktbug834
01-17-2008, 03:00 PM
I got to ride Space Mountain with the lights on during a school trip 3 years ago. It was a really cool experience but I can definetly say it is better with lights off!

sassyat30
01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
I must be the biggest wuss in the world because Space Mt scared the pants off of me!! :scared1:

My ride was in the dark, though. ;)

Tess'smom
01-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Anyone see a Sony Cybershot camera at the bottom of Space Mountain while they were going through with the lights on? Space Mountain was where my camera went missing LOL!:sad1:

hogue123
01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I agree that SM is much better in the dark! It was neat to see it with the lights on since I had never seen it that way before. I will have to remember that if it's shut down to get on the TTA right away!

unknownname
01-17-2008, 05:58 PM
SM looks wimpy with lights on.

darby01_2007
01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
I've witnesseed this in person a few times throughout the years

GrowingUpDisney
01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
I am so glad you guys posted this. My boys (currently 5 - will be 6 on our trip and tall enough to ride) have been a little timid about riding this. I let them watch this video and all they could say was "cool", "I wanna ride that!", "I want Daddy to ride in front of me!"...

seashoreCM
01-17-2008, 10:23 PM
>>> wild mouse in the dark

I have seen Space Mountain with the lights on from the Tomorrowland Transit Authority ride and I still think of Space Mountain as being substantially the same as the Wild Mouse amusement ride.

Space Mountain has two independent mechanisms side by side which the "left" queue and the "right" queue go to respectively.

I also think the (generic) Wild Mouse is customizable, with smaller versions used by traveling carnivals.

JFrey4240
01-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Very cool! Thanks!!:surfweb:

tzolkin
01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
i rode once with the lights on when i was maybe 9 or so. i thought it was way worse because i didnt enjoy the ride and seeing all the bars all over the place really freaked me out. my dad is tall and was riding in front of me and every time we passed a bar i was convinced he was going to get his head cut off. :scared1: i was also a paranoid child in general, so that probably attributed to it.

jjk
01-18-2008, 09:41 AM
very interesting,cool to see it with the lights on thanks:goodvibes

leahjade
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Space Mountain is a very tame ride - my 4 years olds loved it. When do they offer the ride with the lights on?

DISshopkeeper
01-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Cool. I wish I had turned the sound off, that "You are cleared for launch" gave me a homesick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Pathetic, huh? :lmao:

jmskinner
01-19-2008, 08:20 PM
When we were there in 2006 the lights came on when we were in line. We got such a kick watching the TTA because it was empty at first and then filled up once people heard the lights were on.

It was my first time to ride SM though, and after seeing that it was basically a wild mouse I didn't find it that thrilling. Wish I could have ridden it once before seeing it like that.

WDWFreak200
01-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Watching that video makes me realize that SM doesn't look too bad. No big drops or anything.

llmurphy17
01-19-2008, 08:56 PM
WOW thanks for posting. :goodvibes

llmurphy17
01-19-2008, 09:08 PM
How did you take such a great video while holding on. :worship: :worship: :thumbsup2

Disneysoloist
02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
i rode once with the lights on when i was maybe 9 or so. i thought it was way worse because i didnt enjoy the ride and seeing all the bars all over the place really freaked me out. my dad is tall and was riding in front of me and every time we passed a bar i was convinced he was going to get his head cut off. :scared1: i was also a paranoid child in general, so that probably attributed to it.

I'm only 5'9", and I'm terrified of getting my head chopped off, too! I usually end up riding it like a bobsled, with my head down for that reason. Anyone know the clearance on SM? Could Shaq ride without ducking? :rotfl:

Kumquatmelon
02-13-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm only 5'9", and I'm terrified of getting my head chopped off, too! I usually end up riding it like a bobsled, with my head down for that reason. Anyone know the clearance on SM? Could Shaq ride without ducking? :rotfl:

My dad is 6 foot and is terrified of riding SM for that same reason. He does the bobsled thing also. I was riding it last year and it was my first time in a while riding it and I didn't remember how low the ceilings/bars were and during the blue light sequence I raised my hands (stupidly) and I then was able to touch the ceiling. :scared1: It was terrifying! My dad screamed worried I was going to cut my hands off. So, I would really doubt it if Shaq could ride it w/o ducking when a 14 year old girl (around 5'3-5'4 at the time) couldn't raise her hands up.:lmao:

babs711
02-13-2008, 06:41 PM
To the poster that asked if it was really jerky (worse than Dino). NO, it's not. I don't like Dino b/c it's so jerky. But I LOVE Space Mountain!

disdarlin
02-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I actually got to ride SM 3 years ago when we brought 55 4th graders there to do the YES program. They tought all the kids how rollercosters work, then we got to ride SM with the lights on then with the light off. I was really neat. I have to say it was scarier for me with lights on because I am terrified of heights so I did not like to see how high I was. I am also 5'10 so i felt like I was going to hit my head on everything. There is more of a rush riding it with the lights off though. I had to laugh though because the floor looks like its covered in wal-mart/bowling alley stobe lights.

ehaimann236
05-16-2010, 08:36 AM
i have heard many people who have experienced this and they have had a lot of fun. cool videos by the way.