PDA

View Full Version : E-rings and wedding bands, how does that all work?

afinter1
12-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi guys! Here's a quick (and silly!) question about how e-rings and wedding bands work out in a wedding ceremony. Does the bride not wear any rings at all when she's coming down the aisle, or does she wear just her e-ring? I know the wedding band is worn closest to your heart, so this wouldn't make any sense! :joker:

Also, if the bride doesn't wear any rings, how does this ring exchange work out for intimate brides? Do we give all the rings to the officiant, or to a member of the bridal party?

Thanks in advance for any answers! :dance3:

Maggimus
12-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Such a good question because I wondered the same thing until the day of my wedding.

The bride typically (so said those i asked) wears the engagement ring on the right hand third finger. Then after the ceremony after your DH will have put the ring on your finger, you simply just slide the engagement ring from your right hand to your left. Your band goes on first (holding it closest to your heart) and then the engagement ring.

DH kept my band on his pinky through the ceremony until it was time to put it on my hand (we didnt have a bridal party) and I kept DH's on my thumb. It worked out well.

Hope I helped...

WDWAurora
12-10-2006, 05:29 PM
We did what Mrs. Maggimus said...I wore it on my right ring finger and just switched after the ceremony. My mom always went against the grain and wore her engagement ring first, with the band on the outside. She was (is) afraid of losing the engagement ring, so she uses the band to hold it on. hehe Maybe mom's paranoid. Sounds like it now that I've typed this out!

NeverlandClub23
12-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks for asking! I always wondered the same thing!

Error_kitten
12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
The officiant had our rings and I wore my engagment ring as i normaly would.
And he put the band over it.
I personaly am weird and want to wear the e ring first and then the band because its cronilogical and it makes sense to me.
But because my ering is so big (gotta love the fact amethyst is cheep) it fits better on the outside like normal.
So yeah How ever you want to do it.
Some people have the best man and MOH carry them so its whatever works for you.

afinter1
12-11-2006, 10:10 AM
I thought the same thing ErrorKitten! It makes more sense to me to have the e-ring on the inside and your wedding band on the outside. I suppose there's really no rule, so that makes me feel better. I'm sure there's some ring etiquette out there, but since when am I someone who follows wedding etiquette to a T? :rotfl:

cryssi
12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
I forgot to move my e-ring to my right hand, so in a moment that I can only hope is not captured on video...

...I turned my back to the guests and switched the ring during the ceremony! what a dummy...lol

can you imagine if I had dropped it???

afinter1
12-11-2006, 05:38 PM
No worries! I'm sure no one noticed. :cool1:

JandJ
12-11-2006, 08:40 PM
For the ceremony I put my e-ring on my right hand and my niece, our only attendant, had both wedding bands. I switched my e-ring back to my left hand right after the ceremony.

Etiquette wise, wearing your e-ring on the outside is traditional, but I've seen people who wear them both ways and they both look nice so go with what you like! I wear my e-ring on the outside, not only because it's tradition, but I take my e-ring off when I'm cleaning, cooking, washing my hair, etc. but I never remove my wedding band. If my e-ring was on the inside I'd have to take my wedding band off as well.

smoof
12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
My e-ring doesn't fit on my right hand, so I wore my e-ring on my left hand, put the w-ring on, and discreetly switched them. If you are having an intimate, you may want to just tie his ring into your bouquet somehow. Put his ring on a ribbon and pin it into your bouquet, something like that.

beckyb29
12-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I was actually worried about how this would work before we left for our wedding! We had an intimate ceremony, and we didn't have any attendants with us. I wore my engagement ring on my right hand, and moved it after the ceremony was over before Randy got ring pictures. As far as the wedding bands, somebody gave both of them to Reverend Day before the ceremony, and he handed them to us at the right time. It worked out great!