PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of America Mid Atlantic tour

Stepht5
11-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Anyone else going on this tour???

Stepht5
11-28-2006, 03:17 PM
We (myself, 16dd & 9ds) are booked for the August 14th tour!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

dingoballs
11-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes, my sister and I are booked on the August 14th tour also. We're looking forward to the trip and meeting you guys...

Allen

Stepht5
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Yes, my sister and I are booked on the August 14th tour also. We're looking forward to the trip and meeting you guys...

Allen

That's great!!!!

This will be our first ABD -- we hope to do one of the European ones in 2008 when our youngest is a little older - she's 5 now.

Dh is staying home with our youngest for this trip. ;)

He's been to the places that we are going but, the kids and I haven't so... I changed our History plans for this year from Anceint to Early American! :rotfl: (we homeschool)

dingoballs
11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
This will be our first ABD as well, but we've already booked the Southwest Splendors tour in September (to take advantage of the early booking discounts).

What a great field trip for your kids. All that history AND Disney magic rolled into one!

I tried to post our pic but it's too big and I can't figure out how to reduce the size. Do you know how?

Stepht5
12-01-2006, 04:13 PM
This will be our first ABD as well, but we've already booked the Southwest Splendors tour in September (to take advantage of the early booking discounts).

What a great field trip for your kids. All that history AND Disney magic rolled into one!

I tried to post our pic but it's too big and I can't figure out how to reduce the size. Do you know how?

On Photobucket.com you can choose from different sizes for posting photos. :)

Stepht5
12-01-2006, 04:16 PM

We've done alot of travel through the Southwest and LOVE it! We used to do 3wk long car trips through those areas. :)

If our 23dd wasn't getting married in Oct '07 I would book another ABD for 2007.... But, i know that DH will want to do at least one DCL trip in 2007 (we've done 2 in 2006!) and we want to fit in WDW at least once....
Plus we have other *have to * trips --- Family reunion, etc...

Dh & our 23dd are going to Hong Kong Disneyland in March. DH went this past March, also.

dingoballs
12-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow, you guys sure travel quite a bit. We've only been to WDW, altho we've thought about doing a DCL. We have another trip planned to WDW in June 2007. How is Hong Kong Disneyland?

Thanks for the tip about photobucket. I tried resizing various pics every which way but Disboards says they're still too big to upload.... :sad2:

By the way, who are the people in your pic?

Stepht5
12-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow, you guys sure travel quite a bit. We've only been to WDW, altho we've thought about doing a DCL. We have another trip planned to WDW in June 2007. How is Hong Kong Disneyland?

We LOVE to travel! We used to travel on the real cheap -- I would plan our 2 -3 wk long car trips around dh's business trips and then the company would pay the gas and a few nights of the hotel. ;)
HK Disney is much smaller and the castle is ...short. :teeth: I'll try to post a couple of pics later -- I'll have to transfer them to photobucket first....

DCL is WONDERful!!!! If dh had his choice we would never leave the ship! LOL!

Thanks for the tip about photobucket. I tried resizing various pics every which way but Disboards says they're still too big to upload.... :sad2:

By the way, who are the people in your pic?

You may not have enough posts on the Dis to be able to post photos.... I think you have to have 10 post or so...

The people are US! Dh & I plus our 5 children. We've been married for 27 yrs and our children range in age from 26ds, 23dd, 15dd, 8ds & 5dd. The pic is from the Sept 10nt Southern on Pirate night! :)

dingoballs
12-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, I'd love to see those HK DL pics... You have a lovely family. So for this trip, it's just you and your 15dd & 8ds who's going?

Which 2 DCL did you guys do this year?

By the way, what's your name?

Allen

Stepht5
12-06-2006, 05:33 PM
You have a lovely family. So for this trip, it's just you and your 15dd & 8ds who's going?

Thank you! And, yes. We think our 5dd (she would be 6 in july) is too small (she is really small for her age -- the size of an average 3yr) to walk as much as would be needed. If she was a little bigger we would have booked one of the Italy trips. :)

Which 2 DCL did you guys do this year?

By the way, what's your name?

Allen

We did a 3nt DCL in February and the 10nt Southern in Sept -- which was FANTASTIC! :thumbsup2

My name is Stephanie. :goodvibes

Nice to meet you, Allen!

dingoballs
12-07-2006, 03:54 PM
It's nice meeting you as well, Stephanie :)

I was checking out the DCL website and didn't see a "Southern" cruise. Where did that cruise take you guys?

Allen

Stepht5
12-08-2006, 08:51 AM
I was checking out the DCL website and didn't see a "Southern" cruise. Where did that cruise take you guys?

Allen

This past September DCL had two *special* cruises the 10nt Southern & the 11nt Southern. They are not one of their regular cruises.

We went to St Lucia, St Thomas, Barbados, Antigua and of course... Castaway Cay!!!

dingoballs
12-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, isn't that.... special . :dance3:
How much did the 10nt Southern cost?

So do you guys have any plans to visit WDW before our AbD trip?

Allen

Stepht5
12-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Well, isn't that.... special . :dance3:
How much did the 10nt Southern cost?

So do you guys have any plans to visit WDW before our AbD trip?

Allen

We were fortunate enough to be able to book a Catagory 1 - the Roy Suite - for dh, mysel and our 3 youngest children. We booked a Cat 8 for our two oldest (they are 26 & 23). We booked a year in advance and I have no idea how much the booking cost. :) We had 7 round trip airfares inthere, also! LOL!

There were some *specials* that included a $500 stateroom credit for some bookings.

We are trying to decide when we will be able to fit a trip or two to WDW in our schedules this year. Our 23dd is getting married in 2007, also.

Suites do not get *specials* or *discounts*.

September is usually one of the cheaper months to sail -- hurricanes!. :rotfl:

dingoballs
12-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I can imagine how fantastic that 10nt Southern cruise must have been... I was checking out the DCL website again and the suites look absolutely incredible!

We'll be visiting WDW from June 3 to 10, 2007 and staying at the Grand Floridian Resort. It would be wonderful if you guys can make it there during that period and we can meet before our AbD trip. :yay:

Stepht5
12-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I can imagine how fantastic that 10nt Southern cruise must have been... I was checking out the DCL website again and the suites look absolutely incredible!

We'll be visiting WDW from June 3 to 10, 2007 and staying at the Grand Floridian Resort. It would be wonderful if you guys can make it there during that period and we can meet before our AbD trip. :yay:

That would be during DH's b-day and he might be convinced. ;) The GF is where we've stayed at this past year (twice in the Sugar Loaf building).

I have several friends - that we met on the 10nt cruise meets board - that are going to be there over Labor Day weekend... And we are thinking about making a trip then, also -- I know that is right after our ABD..... :teeth:

The only hting holding up making the reservations for more WDW trips is the fact that we have several *have to* vacations this summer plus a dd that is getting married int he Fall.....

It would be very nice to meet ahead of time!

DisneyKevin
12-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi to one and all....

This thread seems to have strayed a bit from the topic of Adventures by Disney,

Maybe it's time to make this a private conversation or move to this to another forum.

Thanks for being understanding.... :)

Kevin

Stepht5
12-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi to one and all....

This thread seems to have strayed a bit from the topic of Adventures by Disney,

Maybe it's time to make this a private conversation or move to this to another forum.

Thanks for being understanding.... :)

Kevin

I totally understand. Is there going to be a *Meets* area like there is on the cruise forum?
It is really fun and interesting to get to know people ahead of time.
That is one of the things that I am looking for in an ABD forum.

Thank you!

dingoballs
12-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I agree. :surfweb:

Stepht5
04-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Anybody else going on a Spirit of America tour???

If I oculd have fit it into our busy summer schedule I would have loved to have added the Imperial Cities tour!!! :)

vick1s
06-21-2007, 09:40 PM
We got backpacks and info yesterday... daighter was a bit underwhelmed. Seems like Disney is doing less "special stuff" for programs in the states. WE are excited, but hoped for journals, or something more.
i'D like to see how others have felt about trip... Is there enough time for seeing D.C? Want to fit in a concert somewhere as well. Anyone done this, or doing it this summer? wE will be doing July 26th
Any info appreciat4ed. 10 year old daughter and I are reading Ben and me this summer to prepare for Philly.
hAVE a magical day with whatever you are doing.
Vicky Spencer
Vacation bY V

DisneyKevin
06-21-2007, 10:49 PM
HI Vicky,

When we took our trip to Italy, we recived our backpacks prior to departure, but all other goodies were given upon arrival.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Stepht5
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
We got backpacks and info yesterday... daighter was a bit underwhelmed. Seems like Disney is doing less "special stuff" for programs in the states. WE are excited, but hoped for journals, or something more.
i'D like to see how others have felt about trip... Is there enough time for seeing D.C? Want to fit in a concert somewhere as well. Anyone done this, or doing it this summer? wE will be doing July 26thAny info appreciat4ed. 10 year old daughter and I are reading Ben and me this summer to prepare for Philly.
hAVE a magical day with whatever you are doing.
Vicky Spencer
Vacation bY V

I hope you post when you get back! We (myself, 16dd & 9ds) are going on the trip August! We are sooo excited! :yay: :yay:

Stepht5
07-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Oh my gosh!!! We recieved our backpacks, booklets and luggage handles yesterday!!!! :dance3: :dance3:

We :love: everything!!! The summary booklet was fantastic!!! How handy!!!! We can't wait for our trip! We leave a month from today!!!

dingoballs
07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Stephanie,

We received our ABD stuff the other day too. After reading the material, I can't WAIT to see all those places too! We'll see you guys in a month! :yay:

Allen

Stepht5
07-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi Stephanie,

We received our ABD stuff the other day too. After reading the material, I can't WAIT to see all those places too! We'll see you guys in a month! :yay:

Allen

It should be easy to figure out which person is me! I'll be the middle aged woman with a tall 16dd (dark haired) and a short 9ds (blond)! LOL!

vick1s
08-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Yes, I have returned home... exhausted, educated, and glad we did it. Laundry in dryer, so I'll attempt a little bit

I went on this Adventure with my 10 year old daughter. This is a great age, as she can learn about American History. I wanted to let her experience the capitol, and see some of the challenges in our past.

First day : Arrival was very smooth. We had people waiting for us, offering to take the bags, load a nice car, give us water, and head into Philly. We had the afternoon to explore, and went to Betsy Ross house. House was okay, but outside "plays" in court yard were hysterical. Tried Franklin's Fountain for ice cream, then returned to change for meeting the group.

Tip 1: Wear walking shoes cause you will be walking lots!
Tip 2: Definantly better to get here early, and relax than rush in at last minute.

Meeting with the Group
Nice introductory meeting, with getting to know you activities. Group had lots of children, 4 girls in my daughters age group. (She was thrilled!) We meet Tracey and Trevor who were very enthusiastic, and great with everyone. Dinner is a don't miss, talking to someone from the 1776 era.
Hotel was nice. It is on a river, and had great views. I got a much better feel about our navel, and ship history here. Don't pass up chance to eat philly Cheese steak.
CLosing now, as I finished day one. Any questions? EMAIL ME.
ps. I know most of the new places disney is adding to Adventures next year.

dingoballs
08-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes, I have returned home... exhausted, educated, and glad we did it. Laundry in dryer, so I'll attempt a little bit

I went on this Adventure with my 10 year old daughter. This is a great age, as she can learn about American History. I wanted to let her experience the capitol, and see some of the challenges in our past.

First day : Arrival was very smooth. We had people waiting for us, offering to take the bags, load a nice car, give us water, and head into Philly. We had the afternoon to explore, and went to Betsy Ross house. House was okay, but outside "plays" in court yard were hysterical. Tried Franklin's Fountain for ice cream, then returned to change for meeting the group.

Tip 1: Wear walking shoes cause you will be walking lots!
Tip 2: Definantly better to get here early, and relax than rush in at last minute.

Meeting with the Group
Nice introductory meeting, with getting to know you activities. Group had lots of children, 4 girls in my daughters age group. (She was thrilled!) We meet Tracey and Trevor who were very enthusiastic, and great with everyone. Dinner is a don't miss, talking to someone from the 1776 era.
Hotel was nice. It is on a river, and had great views. I got a much better feel about our navel, and ship history here. Don't pass up chance to eat philly Cheese steak.
CLosing now, as I finished day one. Any questions? EMAIL ME.
ps. I know most of the new places disney is adding to Adventures next year.

Thanks for the report. How was the rest of the trip?

We're going on the August 14th tour and we're very excited. I have a question about the ABD luggage rule. Did anyone in your group exceed 1 luggage per person?

Stepht5
08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Thank you so much for posting about your first day! My children and I are very excited to be going on this trip!!!

The biggest question I have is about the bike tour...... 9ds is a couple of inches shy of the height to get his own bike (he is NOT happy about that!) and 16dd doesn't know if she wants to ride a bike! LOL!

vick1s
08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
1. I would talk with Disney about biking issue. If he is with you, maybe he can be official camera man. It is a long, hot ride,or at least ours was.
2. Bag/luggage... Keep it to the 1 per person if at all possible. There is a lot of moving inand out of hotels on this trip.

DAY 2
Philidelphia We woke to nice buffet breakfast, and our first real tour. We went to learn about the Decllaration of Independance. Wonderful presentation, and neat exhibits. Daughter got to try on robe of supreme court judge. There is tons of history around Philly. We went to the mint, and liberty bell before lunch. Kay, a lovely lady dressed in period costume the swimming pool of hotel, then explored the riverdocks, and had seafood dinner. Beautiful ending to quite educational day.
Trevor and Tracey have helped a number of families with dinner choices, and other suggestions today. They truely do seem to know the "lay of the land" well. The families are getting to know each other a bit, which makes things a lot more fun. My daughter wants to hang out with the other girls her age, so I am happily enjoying a little adult conversation.
Until day 3...
Vicky

vick1s
08-05-2007, 08:42 PM
:cheer2: 1. I would talk with Disney about biking issue. If he is with you, maybe he can be official camera man. It is a long, hot ride,or at least ours was.
2. Bag/luggage... Keep it to the 1 per person if at all possible. There is a lot of moving inand out of hotels on this trip.

DAY 2
Philidelphia We woke to nice buffet breakfast, and our first real tour. We went to learn about the Decllaration of Independance. Wonderful presentation, and neat exhibits. Daughter got to try on robe of supreme court judge. There is tons of history around Philly. We went to the mint, and liberty bell before lunch. Kay, a lovely lady dressed in period costume the swimming pool of hotel, then explored the riverdocks, and had seafood dinner. Beautiful ending to quite educational day.
Trevor and Tracey have helped a number of families with dinner choices, and other suggestions today. They truely do seem to know the "lay of the land" well. The families are getting to know each other a bit, which makes things a lot more fun. My daughter wants to hang out with the other girls her age, so I am happily enjoying a little adult conversation.
Until day 3...
Vicky

Anything Disney!
08-15-2007, 05:07 PM
I homeschool my dd15 and as a sophomore this year, one of her classes will be US History. Do those of you who have taken this adventure think it would be a good supplement for educational purposes? She was also invited next summer to go to Japan by the people to people organization, but we don't know much about that program as of yet. Disney seems to do things well, so I feel comfortable with the idea of a group trip. It will most likely be just her and I.

Stepht5
08-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I homeschool my dd15 and as a sophomore this year, one of her classes will be US History. Do those of you who have taken this adventure think it would be a good supplement for educational purposes? She was also invited next summer to go to Japan by the people to people organization, but we don't know much about that program as of yet. Disney seems to do things well, so I feel comfortable with the idea of a group trip. It will most likely be just her and I.

We just got back this afternoon from this Adventure. We homeschool our 16dd (9ds & 6dd, also!) and we are definately using this as part of her *school*. It was fantastic!!!!!

I will be writing at trip report soon! Tonight I am way too tired! LOL!!!!!

We loved the amoutn of information given and the manner that it was done! :)

Anything Disney!
08-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow! I guess I'll be booking!! :banana: Looking forward to your trip report! I've been looking for trips like these for a while and was really excited to see that we could incorporate education and quality family time Disney style! :woohoo:

dingoballs
08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow! I guess I'll be booking!! :banana: Looking forward to your trip report! I've been looking for trips like these for a while and was really excited to see that we could incorporate education and quality family time Disney style! :woohoo:

I totally agree with Stepht5. We were on the same tour as Stephanie & her kids. This particular tour is perfect for anyone who wants to see and learn about the history of our country's founding and also be entertained as only Disney knows how. Our 2 ABD guides (Cheryl and Tracy) were fantastic!

Hey Stephanie, I'm looking forward to reading your TR too! popcorn::

Allen

Stepht5
08-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey Stephanie, I'm looking forward to reading your TR too! popcorn::

Allen

It will take a couple of weeks to get it all done BUT, I hope to have at least part of it posted this weekend. :)

Tell Angela that Samantha already misses listening to her stories and smart mouth! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The kids got up this morning and asked me where the breakfast buffet was located! :lmao:

Stepht5
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
The biggest question I have is about the bike tour...... 9ds is a couple of inches shy of the height to get his own bike (he is NOT happy about that!) and 16dd doesn't know if she wants to ride a bike! LOL!

I'm going to answer my own questions (I will be including this information in my trip report).

The bike tour was/is FANTASTIC!!! It really is for all ages (and ability). Remember to dress for the weather and wear loose fitting clothing so, as not to get *too* hot!
They were able to fit 9ds for a bike -- although the set up if it didn't work out was a great *add on bike* and several of the kids did that!
Even though it was very hot that day while you are riding you get such a nice breeze (and ABD does give you *cooldanas* in your arrival package!). There is also water in a holder on your bike. There are plenty of stops along the way -- in case you can't coordinate drinking water and biking at the same time. ;)
The bike tour guides are lots of fun and informative. You get to see many of the sights and monuments.
There were 3 people on our tour that needed the use of electric scooters instead of bikes -- they didn't have any mobility issues except they didn't know how to ride a bike. :) So, if you don't bike don't worry Disney has it worked out! They had a seperate tour from us but, they did meet up with us at one of the monuments.
On our bike tour we did have a couple of casualties -- including one woman that had to fly home early. She was an older woman that fell off of her bike within the first 5 min. Her dd & 2 grandsons were on the bike tour (her dh had decided not to do the bike portion) and her dd told me that her mother was very accident prone. I was grateful that 16dd didn't see her fall since that would have caiused ehr to freak and jump off her bike -- I've seen her do that before at home.
The other *casualty* was a woman (30's?) that became very overheated but, didn't want to give up. She and her dh wore jeans for the bike ride (it wsa in the 90's). Her face was a deep red color after the bike ride -- the last half block is an incline up to the hotel. But, by the time dinner rolled around she looked fine! And I really thought she might need to see a Dr! LOL! I guess she had become extremely overheated.
If anyone has any specific questions I will be happy to answer what I can in my report!
I want to make sure that I report the type of information that would have really helped me!

dingoballs
08-22-2007, 05:42 PM
It will take a couple of weeks to get it all done BUT, I hope to have at least part of it posted this weekend. :)

Tell Angela that Samantha already misses listening to her stories and smart mouth! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The kids got up this morning and asked me where the breakfast buffet was located! :lmao:

Hi Stephanie, I'll tell Angela... and I tried to keep her stories rated PG13. We really enjoyed your company. It made the trip that much more enjoyable... and we miss those breakfast buffets too!

Allen

Stepht5
08-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi Stephanie, I'll tell Angela... and I tried to keep her stories rated PG13. We really enjoyed your company. It made the trip that much more enjoyable... and we miss those breakfast buffets too!

Allen

LOL! I cracked up everytime you said *No swearing* to Angela! LOL! I've said that many times to my dh over the years! ;)

Anything Disney!
08-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Stepht5 or dingoballs, how many people were in your group?

dingoballs
08-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Stepht5 or dingoballs, how many people were in your group?

We started with 21 people, but after the biking accident on the 3rd day, we finished with 19. Our ABD guides said our group was one of the smallest so far. They've averaged around 35-40 people per tour.

Anything Disney!
08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to more trip reports. Guess I need to drag out the bike and see if I can still ride it....:lmao: I hope the 2008 dates are similar to 2007. June would be my preferred time and hopefully not as hot.

Stepht5
08-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to more trip reports. Guess I need to drag out the bike and see if I can still ride it....:lmao: I hope the 2008 dates are similar to 2007. June would be my preferred time and hopefully not as hot.

Just so you know it comes back to you FAST! LOL! I do't think I had rided a bike more then once or twice in the past 30 yrs -- and the once o twice I got on a bike it would have been a small child's bike just to show them how! LOL!

I was really shocked that I had no problem riding the bike. I was even able to shift gears & drink my water while pedaling! :rotfl:
I REALLY enjoyed the bike ride! :)

dingoballs
08-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Just so you know it comes back to you FAST! LOL! I do't think I had rided a bike more then once or twice in the past 30 yrs -- and the once o twice I got on a bike it would have been a small child's bike just to show them how! LOL!

I was really shocked that I had no problem riding the bike. I was even able to shift gears & drink my water while pedaling! :rotfl:
I REALLY enjoyed the bike ride! :)

*nodding in agreement with Stepht5*

I was riding behind Stephanie & it looked like she's been riding every day of his life! I think biking the sites was one of the highlights.

AnythingDisney

Really, once you've learned how to ride a bike, you don't forget, so I wouldn't worry too much about the biking. You'll enjoy it alot.

Stepht5
08-25-2007, 04:39 PM
*nodding in agreement with Stepht5*

I was riding behind Stephanie & it looked like she's been riding every day of his life! I think biking the sites was one of the highlights.

AnythingDisney

Really, once you've learned how to ride a bike, you don't forget, so I wouldn't worry too much about the biking. You'll enjoy it alot.

Amd he got to hear me say (constantly) *Faster Brian, faster.* :rotfl: :rotfl: I had made sure to always keep 9ds in front of me and I was constantly worried that we would be holding up the rest of the group -- we were always in the first few people. Well, it turns out that there were plenty of people slower and we weren't holding anyone up! LOL! But, I didn't want me and my children to be the cause of a slow down! :rotfl2:

16dd told me to stop because it was making them (her and her brother) nervous to hear me yelling. ;)

Anything Disney!
08-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Got my bike out and you're right, it came back fast! Now I just need to convince dd that in addition to the fun, it is great exercise too! :)

Stepht5
08-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Got my bike out and you're right, it came back fast! Now I just need to convince dd that in addition to the fun, it is great exercise too! :)

I'm glad to hear it! LOL!