PDA

View Full Version : Convince Me That I'll Like Pop Century

sewer
11-23-2006, 09:44 AM
I've never stayed at a value, but wish to save some money this year. After reading a few posts I'm a bit worried I'll regret staying there. :confused3

Pig Pen
11-23-2006, 10:12 AM
We did a last minute trip to WDW on Columbus Day weekend. POP was the only resort with availability so I booked it. I have definitely evolved into a deluxe gal over the years and was very leery about staying there....but it was fine. In fact, DH says he wouldn't mind staying there again. We had a king room, ground floor, poolside. It was an "accessible" room, but we didn't care.

We weren't there long, but it didn't appear noisy or crowded. The food court/gift shop set up seemed a bit odd but worked okay for us.

The resort is on a lake, so it had the feel of a moderate. A definite step up from the All Stars IMO.

Hope this helps.

DavidHobart
11-23-2006, 10:28 AM
I honestly think--and I'm sure I'll get disagreed with--that the moderates provide little more than the values, not enuf to justify their higher price. So let me compare Pop to Riverside, where you have also stayed

No sit down restaurant at Pop, just a food court--but who cares? Outside of the deluxes none of the sit-downs can compare with Epcot anyway.

Only one bus stop at Pop, versus 4-6 at Riverside (depending on how the bus treats POFQ). On the other hand you may have to walk a little further to get to bus stop at Pop.

Rooms are much wider at POR, and have a second sink but still only full size beds or one king--same as Pop. If the mods had queens I'd think they were closer to worth it.

Theming: more subtle and gracious at POR, more kid-friendly and garish at Pop.

Location: Pop is more central, POR is much more convenient to DTD.

I concur with the poster who prefer Pop to the All-Stars, for me, because of easier bus service

Does this help?

OKW Lover
11-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I've never stayed at a value, but wish to save some money this year. After reading a few posts I'm a bit worried I'll regret staying there. :confused3
I guess it all depends on what you like. Some people are quite happy with the vaule resorts, some wouldn't go near them with a disguise on.

msteddom
11-23-2006, 11:54 AM
I stayed at Pop last August and I enjoyed it. Did it wow me as much as the Yacht Club did? No. But it was a clean, quiet room that was close to the main building. I also loved the frozen Coke machine in the food court! I was quite satisfied with my stay there. Plus, the money I saved is allowing me to make another trip next month!

Melissa

Bell30012
11-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I wish that one of the Deluxe resorts would adopt the Value resort type icons and theming. I'd book a deuxe in a second but my four-year-old will feel cheated if she doesn't see a 30 foot tall Disney character every time she looks around.

Poohbear123
11-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Numerous times, and love it. :thumbsup2 Of course, I love a bargain too, and POP is a Bargain at times, and so are some of the Moderates at different times of the year. I would love to stay at POP in Dec. but POR had a good rate. Staying at POP in Feb. for 5 nights due to a great rate! Yes, the rooms are a little smaller, but I like POP as there are quiet areas of the resort, and if you get an end room, you hear hardly any noise.

SaraMc
11-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I will be the first to admit it, Im cheap. I love POP, its great, Ive been at all 3 all stars too.. many times. But I much perfer POP. Its much easier to get around in and the bus service seemed better. Ive stayed at moderates too but as you really only sleep at the resort as long as Im on disney property I dont care where I sleep other than in a tent in FW, because camping and I dont mix unless there is A LOT of tequila.

Aimeedyan
11-23-2006, 05:57 PM
None of us can promise that you'll like it. We don't know you or what you like - nor can we guarantee you'll have a good experience once you're there.

Like everything at WDW, reviews at POP are mixed. We didn't have a good exp but many others have. You just have to take a chance and try it for yourself. If you're unhappy, request to be moved to another hotel.

sewer
11-23-2006, 06:30 PM
None of us can promise that you'll like it. We don't know you or what you like - nor can we guarantee you'll have a good experience once you're there.

Like everything at WDW, reviews at POP are mixed. We didn't have a good exp but many others have. You just have to take a chance and try it for yourself. If you're unhappy, request to be moved to another hotel.

Not to pry, but what problems did you have there? :confused3

Poohbear123
11-23-2006, 06:35 PM
I will be the first to admit it, Im cheap. I love POP, its great, Ive been at all 3 all stars too.. many times. But I much perfer POP. Its much easier to get around in and the bus service seemed better. Ive stayed at moderates too but as you really only sleep at the resort as long as Im on disney property I dont care where I sleep other than in a tent in FW, because camping and I dont mix unless there is A LOT of tequila.
:lmao:

PrincessAlways
11-23-2006, 06:52 PM
A co-worker & myself stayed at Pop & we loved it. Since we were only there for a long weekend, we wanted a "value" pricing. The theming was fun, the room was clean, quiet & close to the food court/bus stop. We stayed in the 50's section. The bus service was as good as anywhere else in WDW. We only ate breakfast at the food court & it was ok. No complaints! Enjoy your vacation! :thumbsup2

mjem216
11-23-2006, 06:55 PM
you will love this place was there in feb of 06 and loved it

tiki23
11-23-2006, 07:16 PM
We just got back from POP and we loved it! :thumbsup2 It has a great energy and was a really fun place to stay, but our room location was quiet enough to be restful.

We were at the very end of the 50's section, ground floor, rooms 2130-31 and found it very quiet. It was very convenient to the parking lot (for the days that we had a car), but with plenty of trees to screen us from any noise. The lake was just around the corner of the building and made for a nice evening stroll.

We were a very short walk from Classic Hall, I never felt annoyed at the walking distance or time. The food at the food court is certainly passable, but we ate at the parks or tried resort restaurants most of the time anyway.

We swam at the bowling pin pool; the main pool and the bar area were more crowded and loud sometimes as we walked by.

We didn't hear noise from other rooms, but the resorts and parks weren't very crowded during our stay.

The rooms are on the small side, but we were comfortable. We didn't spend much time in the rooms anyway!

Mousekeeping was excellent and the resort staff were friendly, cheerful and helpful.

We'd stay there again anytime, in fact I'm already planning to see if an '07 vacation is possible. :)

MJMcBride
11-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Its simple. If you can only afford the values stay there. If not, move up to a moderate. Its a huge leap. If all you need from your hotel is a bed and an alarm clock, then its OK too.

need_a_Disney_fix
11-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I am sitting in my room at POP as we speak...and I love it!!!!

tiki23
11-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Hmm...well, we could have afforded a moderate, but chose a value instead. Why pay for more than we needed? Especially when there were 5 of us and we needed 2 rooms.

But there's something for everyone at Disney and POP was great for us. :)

KristinBelle
11-24-2006, 11:58 AM
The Pop is a great value hotel, it's nothing facy but it's unique and fun.

simzac
11-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Main thing I didn't like was the food court seating area was always dirty, not so at the All-Stars during another trip. Other than that, it was fine; just don't care to stay at values any more, so we joined DVC.

mom2my3kids
11-24-2006, 01:09 PM
I loved Pop's pool and food court, rooms were good. But after coming from OKW Pop was a dissapointment. I would return but we had to drive to the front building to catch the bus. That was my main let down.