PDA

View Full Version : Animal Programs PI

GingerBimber
11-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to know how many of you out there are going to do a professional internship in animal programs? Let us all know!! I am doing nutrition research and diet preparation at Animal Kingdom. Super ready for January!

aiviber
11-22-2006, 04:02 AM
MARINE MAMMAL AT THE SEAS... WOO HOO!!!!
where are all you guys living?

aiviber
11-27-2006, 05:36 PM
where'd everybody go???

phishphool
11-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey guys,

I was just offered a PI in Animal Programs Conservation Education. I am honestly totally on the fence whether to accept this invitation or not. I was a CP beginning in JAN '03, and then transferred into Full Time for another 1 1/2 years. I am graduating this coming December. This is totally something I want to do, but am bummed out with the no health benefits and CP"ish" benefits as far as park passes etc. goes. Does anyone know others who have done PI's in Animal Programs in the past? I'm also fretting this decision b/c right now I am finishing my student teaching over here in London, England!

Thanks for any advice!

Billy Spicer
Chicago, IL

leilani11
11-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Aquatic Research at The Seas! I still have no idea what I'll be doing, but as long as I get to dive every so often, I don't think I'll care. :fish:

Amber, what's your major in school? Kind of random, but curious.

By the way, we need to track down the other animal program kids. :)

aiviber
11-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi!
I am a Marine Bio Major. In my interview, they told me that I would be diving every morning. I am assuming that is probably about the same for all the seas interns. I dont know if you have seen this yet...

http://pets.webshots.com/album/144772649lonkaR

but this girl was an intern in 2004 and posted a bunch ofher pictures online.
There is also a guy I found on myspace (this lack of information has turned me into a stalker), but he is an intern right now and I am trying to tap him from information :) Ill let you know what I find out. Cant wait to meet you guys!

leilani11
11-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Those pictures are awesome! I want a pic with scuba mickey :)

Definitely relay any info you can get. I'm going crazy!

aiviber
11-29-2006, 06:06 PM
i know! I got really excited when I saw those pictures. My grandma even sent them around to family. Seems like everyone is dying for info. Michelle (did you deal with her at all?) said she would send the packets out before Thanksgiving or right after, so soon hopefully....

leilani11
12-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I only really dealt with Michelle at the beginning when I submitted my application and sent all the info she requested. After that I never heard from her again.

I hope those pics mean we get costumes/uniforms! After reading the Disney Look email, I was praying I wouldn't have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe for this job! :wizard:

aiviber
12-03-2006, 03:51 AM
oh! in my interview, she briefly said something about uniforms we change into after the scuba/prep in the morning. Everyone Ive ever seen at the seas has a uniform. i totally agree on the whole not wanting to buy a new wardrobe thing. about a month now, huh?

GingerBimber
12-03-2006, 04:46 PM
In my interview she said all I would have to provide would be nice hiking/work boots. I will be wearing a "jumpsuit" like work uniform the rest of the time. I'm glad about that, but I still don't have any idea how much regular clothes I should bring down with me. This will be my first time living away from home so I am pretty clueless about how much is enough for six months.

aiviber
12-03-2006, 05:16 PM
GingerBimber,
Are you flying or driving? I am driving there, so Im not really worried about having too much to carry on the plane. I lived in Hawaii for 6 months and pretty much packed a lot of clothes that I knew I could leave there if I didnt want to bring them back, which I ended up doing. Also, I had to have my parents bring extra sweatshirts when they came to visit. I guess just dont leave out anything you thing you might miss and dont pack stuff you can easily puchase in florida, if its taking up too much space. I dont really know what sorta dresser/closet space we will have. i guess we'll see.

GingerBimber
12-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I am driving down. I have a Honda Element so I will be able to cram a lot of stuff into it, but I really only want to take the absolute necessities and buy whatever I need down in Florida. I think I am going to get those tupperware under the bed storage containers for clothes and such because, like you, I have no idea how much closet/dresser space we will actually have. The floorplans on Northbridge website show pretty decent walk in closets, but who knows really. My family is going on a holiday cruise this Christmas leaving from Ft. Lauderdale. We're going to swing by Northbridge on the way and ask to see one of the rooms so I can get a better idea of what I'm up against. I'll try to take pictures and post them here.

leilani11
12-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Hey guys, Check your email! Check your email! Wow. I hope I'm not the only one this excited about an email. :cool1:

aiviber
12-06-2006, 03:10 PM
just got it!!! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!! leilani, do you know where you are living yet?

GingerBimber
12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
I got the email! But I could have sworn that everybody else told me to check in on the 12th. The email said 13th. Please someone enlighten me! If this is the case my dad needs to change hotel and rental car reservations! I can't believe it is finally happening - it will be here before we know it!

leilani11
12-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey Ginger, I was wondering the same thing. I was told the 12th by my recruiter, but I trust Michelle over the recruiters any day. I would make sure though, she seems to reply really quickly.

Amber, not yet, my dad and I are meeting up in Orlando this Friday to check out locations. My boyfriend's family is friends with someone that works at Disney, so they're sending us about 10 pages of Disney employees trying to rent out rooms, condos, etc to other Disney folks from Jan-Jun.

Ok I really need to stop day dreaming about disney and start studying! :badpc:

aiviber
12-07-2006, 03:24 AM
Ginger..
Did you get the same email too regarding the diving or was yours different?

Leilani,
Good luck finding a place. and fast. you have friends there right?

I cant wait to meet you guys. Theres an intern trying to organize a meet up the night before check in, for dinner or something. You guys interested?

leilani11
12-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Yeah, my boyfriend and a few friends from high school go to UCF. And I'm definitely interested in meeting up with everyone! I was thinking about it, and that email has all the seas interns' email addresses and Ginger's email probably has a lot of the animal kingdom interns, so we could ask a lot of people if they want to do something pretty easily. Hehe, the group could get pretty big, I wonder how many animal program interns are out there?

GingerBimber
12-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey all! My email did not have anything about diving in it so it must have been different. I would love to get a group together! I can't wait to finally put names with faces. Did you all have an attachment about footwear on your email? Mine said there was but I actually didn't have one. Oh, well. It must explain everything in, da da daaaa! - The Packet!

I also had to tell Michelle some dates I will be needing to go out of town for vet school interviews and a wedding. I hope she understands. I even sent her the letter I got and everything from the school.

Need to study for finals now, have two tomorrow! Good luck, everyone!

GingerBimber
12-08-2006, 05:27 PM
I hope you all have received the updated email! WE ARRIVE ON THE 12TH!

leilani11
12-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Hehe yeah I got the email. Thank goodness you don't have to change any of your reservations! As far as footwear, it just said in the email that we have to find white tennis shoes with no other colors or emblems like Nike swooshes. I remember when I interned at a zoo I had to wear steel toe boots. Maybe Animal Kingdom employees have similar guidelines? :confused3

aiviber
12-11-2006, 07:05 PM
ginger...
are we gonna shoot for being roomies?
-amber

GingerBimber
12-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Absolutely! My mom and I are getting into Orlando on the 11th and staying in a hotel and I wanted to get to check in as soon as possible in the morning. If you are still up for it we should pick a convenient time for both of us to meet at check in so we can try and "beat the system." Let me know! We'll also have to figure out a way to recognize one another!

GingerBimber
12-13-2006, 04:18 PM
One more final to go! Herpetology, than I'm done! Not until tomorrow at 5 pm - 7 pm. The absolute last final for the entire University! Wish me luck!

Laura

aiviber
12-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Laura,
Are you already on your cruise? We need to figure up our meeting up. And discuss what were bringing and everything. yay!

Merry Christmas Animal Program Interns!

GingerBimber
12-30-2006, 12:09 AM
Amber,

Just got home! I can't believe in less than two weeks I will have to turn right around again and drive back to Florida! My mom is driving down with me on the 11th and we are staying at the Marriott. She is renting a car to drive to South Carolina the next day, but anyway . . .

I received the email about check in at Vista Way on the 12th between 9 and noon. Should we plan to meet at Vista Way?

As far as what I'm bringing goes:

Basic and obvious personal things like linens and clothes.
What about TV? I can bring one. I can also bring a DVD player and DVD assortment
Kitchen stuff? I'm pretty sure most things are provided but I don't think there is a blender or toaster.
I WISH I could bring my pets!!!!!

Oh, one more thing. My family stopped at Northbridge on the way home to Tennessee today. The staff was extremely helpful and the facility is VERY well manicured and clean. It was quiet and very centrally located. I have a good feeling. There were also lots of available parking.

Talk to you soon!

Also - has anyone received their packet in the mail yet! I have not and am getting a little worried.

leilani11
01-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey Laura, where did you go on your cruise? I haven't gotten the elusive packet either and the post office doesn't open back up til the 3rd.

Amber, have you found completely white sneakers? Any help would be great! I'm running out of places to look.

aiviber
01-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi Girls,
Happy new year.

As for the white shoes. I am struggling a little bit too. I found a pair of all white canvas vans-like shows and the are all white and plain, but my mom found some online blog where someone wrote no canvas. rrrg. I found a few other pairs at Payless, (which is where I found the canvas ones) but when i went back to get them they were gone. Try payless if you havent and if you have one of those. Let me know if you find anything too. Someone also suggested like a store for nurses clothing where they have solid white orthopedic shoes. frustrating huh? Oh well, at least we'll be at Dworld soon.

And Laura!!! I am going to send you a message with my number. I am driving on the 5th and should be there on the 10th or 11th. If you want to bring a tv and dvd player, that would be great. I have a tv with a built in video cassete player, but its kind of old school. and little and heavy. My dad is driving with me and my mom is flying with me just for fun, so we plan on buying whatever appliances we end up needing in addition to what anyone brings. I am soo excited to meet you.

How is packing going for both of you? Are you still interested in meeting for dinner the night before?

-Amber

BayLakeView
01-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone!
My name is Mark and I am doing the Animal Programs/Chemistry internship. I don't think I get to dive with you guys but I'm in charge of maintaining the water quality of the tank and other systems in animal kingdom and epcot.

I am scuba certified though and the florida keys are about a 4-5 hour drive from Northbridge. (im living there, anyone need a roommate?). I'm up for going diving if we have a day off.

I guess I'll meet you in less than a week!

Mark

GingerBimber
01-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm probably the only one who is not SCUBA certified!!! Oh, well. Hey Mark! My name is Laura, I'll be checking into Northbridge on the 12th and am rooming with Amber. My PI is in Nutrition research and Diet Preparation at Animal Kingdom. I can't believe I'm leaving in less than a week! I can't wait to meet everyone. Amber, you can go to my Facebook (http://tennessee.facebook.com/profile.php?id=9406988) and my email is lmaston@utk.edu

See you soon!

leilani11
01-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone! It's been quiet for a few days on the board, I'm sure everyone is busy getting ready to head to Disney. I'm not sure if anyone else got calls, but I got a call from one of my bosses a few days ago. She was really nice, was an intern 5 years ago, so she knew all about the complete lack of information Disney gives. She said that they will probably get us interns the following Thursday after check in. So that should give an idea about how long training is!

Amber - I wanted to say thanks! I found a pair of white sneakers at Payless. If you're still looking, I found completely white Kswiss and Converse shoes at Rack Room Shoes too.

See everyone in a few days!

GingerBimber
01-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone! Just continuing to pack and get everything ready! I havn't received any packet in the mail, but oh well. I'm pretty sure that everything I need to know was in the Check In email I received a few weeks ago. I also have not received any phone calls but there was a 407 area code new call on my machine but no message, so I figure someone may have been trying to contact me. I am SO excited!

I cannot wait to meet everyone. Everybody's internship sounds really rewarding and I know we will all learn a lot. I am looking forward to one of the best experiences of my life.

Amber, you are probably on the road as I type and I hope you are having a safe trip down. I havnt received any private messages from you so I will try to send you one with my cell number.

Happy packing, everyone! Only three more days!

Laura

aiviber
01-08-2007, 11:55 PM
hi Girls,
Were getting close huh? I am in Fayetteville, Louisiana.. It's been a looong drive but decent. Im with my dad which is interesting but pretty good.

lisa-that shoe place you mentioned above?....I have never heard of it, so I guess we dont have those is California. But and update, I found quite a few more pairs at walmart. They are more like running shoes. They look like running shoes for nurses or something, but you cant be all that picky with all white shoes.

and laura-I got your number so i will out it in my phone. I sent you mine via PM but I guess you didnt get it. So I will call you and give you mine....probably tomorrow???

I am a little jealous that you guys are getting phone calls with updats. Ive had nothing of the sort, but its not like Im holding my breath anymore. Can't wait to meet you girls. Are either of you still interested in going to PF changs the night before check it with other PI's?

See you soon. Good luck with final everything.

GingerBimber
01-09-2007, 10:58 PM
This may sound really stupid, but would it be a bad idea to bring board games with me? Be honest, my feelings will not be hurt.

aiviber
01-10-2007, 01:00 AM
youre so funny. I thought the same thing with me. I hope you have some good ones. All i Have is Disney Scene it, which is fun, but i left at home. I will have someone bring it or ship it out though. Sorry I didnt get a chance to call you today. I didnt get in til late. Tomorrow for sure. Have you left yet? Im in Florida, but Panama City (still 5 hours away)

leilani11
01-10-2007, 07:44 PM
I'd be up for something tomorrow night. Just let me know time, place... and how to find everyone! :) See ya!

Paleogirl2003
05-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I got the Animal Programs/Information Management PI; anyone know anything about that one? Also, how does everyone like their PI? I am so excited - I arrive June 22 :)

KentuckysCherub
05-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey, I just stumbled across this thread. I'm in Animal Programs, Reproductive Biology. Has everyone figured out where they're living yet?

Chem10
06-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi All
I have a room available for a professional intern. It's got the same amenities as Northbridge (including linens!) for $525/mo, but you wouldn't have to share your bedroom. It's just a little farther away (408&436 if you want to Mapquest it). I'm a former professional intern and now work for Disney full time. Please email me at PIRoom4Rent@hotmail.com for details. I prefer AP interns because I'm in AP (and we're way cooler than the rest of the people... :upsidedow ).
Thanks,
Kristen

princesskim
06-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Im really interested in the Animal program PI, i was just wondering what some of your prior work experience has been, just so i can see what they are looking for:goodvibes TIA:thumbsup2

Ericka
06-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey everyone! I just found these forums and I will be down For my Education Presenter PI on June 22nd! I can't wait to meet everyone!

:cool1:

Landerguy
06-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Hey everyone! I just found these forums and I will be down For my Education Presenter PI on June 22nd! I can't wait to meet everyone!

:cool1:

hey, I'm lander, I will also be one of the the Education Presenter PI and also starting on June 22. i'm so excited, already started a countdown 1 week till I leave