PDA

View Full Version : Desert Inn and Suites-Good Neighbor??

Albertan mom
11-19-2006, 12:42 AM
I am talking about the Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites here, not the Desert Palms Inn....

On the website, it claims to be a Good Neighbor hotel. But it is not on the Disneyland website as being one.

Anyone know anything about this?

We like the location, and it has had fairly good reviews. And the price is right. And it has suites, so we like that.

Anyone contribute with any positives/negatives to this hotel?

thanks!

bclydia
11-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi
Friends stayed there over Halloween and said it was great.
It doesn't seem to be a Good Neighbour Hotel as I couldn't book it
through a package with the Walt Disney Travel Co.
Hope that helps!

tlovesdis
11-19-2006, 09:47 AM
It is no longer a good neighbor hotel. There have been many, many compaints about the place and fraud charges have been filed by several people with the Anaheim PD. There have been many messages about this hotel on other sites. People are not happy!

I stayed there once and would never stay there again! It is a dingy, dirty motel with terrible customer service!

PattiPB
11-19-2006, 10:08 AM
We stay there regularly, and never have any problems. We don't do packages, so the Good Neighbor hotels aren't a consideration for us.

Do a search on this site about it---don't take any one persons opinion (even mine!!! ;) ) They are as close as you get to the crosswalk to DL, and have suites that can accommodate up to 10 people. Off-season rates can be awesome, and they are frequently sold out months and months in advance. Cont. breakfast is mediocre, but we bring cereal to supplement the toast, danish and fruit. Indoor pool may be useful in winter months. Rooms have micro and fridge.

All of the hotels along Harbor are older (read 1950s-60's) buildings that have had multiple additions and have limited parking. However, they are (generally speaking) maintained and clean. If you're looking for luxury, look elsewhere.

Good luck in your exhaustive search! :surfweb:

Lollipop's Mom
11-19-2006, 11:59 AM
We stayed there and it was fine. I was also hesitant, but for $59 a night on a weekend I decided to risk it. We are actually booked in there again for this January. It isn't fancy, and there aren't duvets on the beds, but there is a fridge/micro and it was clean. The selling point for me is really close. The staff were extremely friendly and I had no problems. Maybe all this fraud and stuff was from a few years ago??

tlovesdis
11-19-2006, 04:58 PM
We stayed there and it was fine. I was also hesitant, but for $59 a night on a weekend I decided to risk it. We are actually booked in there again for this January. It isn't fancy, and there aren't duvets on the beds, but there is a fridge/micro and it was clean. The selling point for me is really close. The staff were extremely friendly and I had no problems. Maybe all this fraud and stuff was from a few years ago??

The fraud stuff is actually pretty recent and it happened to several people on another message board. I know everyone has a different idea about hotels/motels, but after staying there once and hearing all the bad stuff about this place, I would never reccomend it to anyone! Plus if Disney does not consider it a Good Neighbor anymore, you know there had to be quite a few issues!

tlovesdis
11-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Here is one of the complaints:

Below is a copy of an email I sent to The Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites......I have had two phone calls made to Carlos and it now appears they charged the whole amount to my credit card even I asked them repeatly not to. When my roommate checked out later that morning an employee struck their head out side of the office door and said that they had had FIVE credit card compliants so to be careful!!!! I am posting this in hopes that this will not happen to anyone else. I have just checked my visa and the charges are still there :(

The room itself and the horrible service are reason enough never ever to return but when they start playing around with your credit??? Lucky that I checked this out as soon as I had returned home..If I had not of checked I would never had known..I phoned and they promised the second charge (at that time no one "knew" how it could have been put on my card)..YEA RIGHT...would be taken off that day......two days later Visa advised me it had not been removed thus the calls to Carlos.....He "discovered the mistake" (until then I was thinking it was fraud), just like what had happened to that other trip advisor reporter last year) and promised the later charges would be removed as to date the charge is still there.....

What a joke....

This hotel is disgusting...starting with the rude security guard, who stood
less then four feet away from me watching me stuggle with my suitcases and
trying to open the Lobby door, and did not offer to help me nor did he open
the door. Very rude.

The check in clerk who greeted me with a, "What do you want?" most hotels I
stay at start by welcoming me to their hotel and hope I have a nice vist.

The blood on the pillow was disgusting as well as the smell of decomposing
hair wrafting up from the drains. The dirty tubs were an eyesore. The flat
pillows were meant to have been thrown out years ago I am sure. I was
looking for pen and paper to write down some numbers and no such items were
there. Having stayed many times at the Candy Cane Inn and Howard Johnson
down the street I assumed all the hotels in the area were older but very
clean and very well staffed.....Sadly all of the outstanding qualities of
these hotels are lacking in the Desert Inn. Sadly I realize that Desert Inn
is privately owned so there is no higher level I can take this too and
realize that none of you, from the manager to the security guard, care at
all at their guests comfort. My one comfort will be in posting something
very similar to this email within the next few days on Trip Advisor and
other Disneyland posting boards as well as contacting Disneyland themself
and perhaps a few Travel Agancies.

What really topped off my unpleasant stay was having my Visa charged twice
one with the amount that I authorized and then finding out the next day the
hotel charged me with an addtional amount over $670.00 and beyond what was
already charged. I was aware of the Desert Inn practices of overcharging
from Trip Advisor and I repeated asked the check out clerk to only put
through the 260.00 that was my share (my friend and I had put the room on
two credit cards).

I phoned the day after I checked out (as soon as Visa alerted me to what had
happened) and was ensured that the second charges would be removed that
day...ummm didn't happen.....After phoning Visa about possible fraud and
letting Carlos the manager know I am aware of what his hotel is doing and
that the police would be called . Carlos tells me that his staff "acidently"
put both charges on my card. He will be removing the second charge ....I am
not so sure..and do have the name of the Anaheim Police detective who has
been notified and is very interested in hearing my story.

wendithepooh
11-19-2006, 07:59 PM
We stayed there in October and thought it was great.It's best asset is the location.It was clean and the front desk people were very nice.The only complaint I had was in the bathroom .The shower head was for a person maybe 5'8' and seeing that I'm 6' it wasn't very comfortable.The fridge was extremly cold since one of our sodas blew up.
There are other boards where people get very worked up about this place.My experience was not bad,maybe it was because of listening to them.
I agree with PattiPB about not listening to just one persons opion.Even though we enjoyed our stay,when we go back in 3 weeks we are staying next door at the Park Vue.We decided to stay in a couple different hotels to find which one we like best.(we stayed in the HoJo's in June.)
Good luck go with tour gut feeling.I almost cancelled but glad I didn't.

Albertan mom
11-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all your opinions....still debating.

The overcharging thing seems crazy to me....do they not think we will notice an extra $700 charge!!??
I would be watching that very closely.

We are deciding between this one, Tropicana, Park Vue and BWPPInn.

The breakfast is fruit, pastries, toast and beverages?

Lollipop's Mom
11-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Wow I had no idea. We stayed there in May/05 and it was fine, but now I am rethinking. How about just paying with cash and avoiding the whole cc mess? I would like to know what other boards are discussing this, if someone could private message me that would be great. Thanks.

Albertan mom
11-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Wow I had no idea. We stayed there in May/05 and it was fine, but now I am rethinking. How about just paying with cash and avoiding the whole cc mess? I would like to know what other boards are discussing this, if someone could private message me that would be great. Thanks.

Ya, I would like to see that also.....

zonamom
11-20-2006, 09:54 AM
We stayed here last September and will be staying there again next week. It wasn't anything fancy but the rooms were clean and the location was close. We weren't there very much anyhow.

PattiPB
11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
The OP references Trip Advisor in the posts, so I assume that's the other forum in question.

I can't comment on anyone else's experience, but I stay there between 1-4 times per year, and haven't had any problems with credit cards. My DSis and I frequently split the bill in half on the huge suites, and it has always been handled correctly. However, any time we do non-traditional transactions like that, we are on-guard, and check immediately to be sure it is not double-billed.

Good luck whatever you decide. And no matter where you stay---WDW to DLR to Westin to Loews to Motel 6---always stay on top of your charge cards!!!!!

back2disney
11-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I have AAA ressies for next year, made them earlier this year - because website was showing full booking rest of this year. Based on my research the place is a steal:)
I noticed the good neighbor decal on their website today as well, hadn't seen it before. I don't know what it means though???

jocotter
11-21-2006, 02:28 PM
We used to stay at the Candy Cane and last time we stayed at Desert Inn and Suites because of the size of our group and because we have been irritated with Candy Cane. Desert Inn was very clean (and I'm picky), it appeared to have new carpet and paint in our section and we loved the location. I would definately stay again.