PDA

View Full Version : What will YOU trade inferno for?

pinkgalYall
11-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Well i got reading a topic, earlier and it got me thinking. Those of you that have inferno, what do you want most for it? Im not offering, this is just kind of an idea for some people. So what item do you want most, in your inferno offer?

DemonLlama
11-18-2006, 04:45 PM
I know folks will be jumping in listing the super rare things in huge quantities, but before that happens, let me just chime in with a different perspective.

I wouldn't trade anything for my inferno. (And it's not just because it's so sought after. I have zero interest in owning green flips.)

When I started VMK during the beta phase, my favorite thing was magic pins. That was back when I was playing fireworks without a mouse (NOT Easy!) to try and win it. There wasn't a lot of magic, but boy were they fun.

This was before host events. So during the summer, when we all showed up for that first "big weekend event" in which we were sent off on a crazy "scanvenger" hunt and everyone was crashing and nothing went as planned, I ended up visiting Esmerelda for my lowly credits (not a lot for sale yet but I couldn't afford very much either. . . )

And there was a VMK staff person asking little trivia questions to people who happened by inside. No announcements, no hours, no lines to get in anywhere, just a lovely surprise.

First person to type the right answer got a pin, no telling which. I don't remember the staff name and I don't even remember the question, but I do remember my prize: Dancing Inferno Magic.

A magic pin! At last! Little did I know it would become this highly prized thing just because fewer people have them. And in the end, I realized I didn't care.

That little pin and how much I prize it has to do with those awful-wonderful early beta days when I was BlueMinnie and, even then, walked around VMK with my blue skin getting insults by kids who told me I was ugly. Whenever my DIS friends were with me, they would crack me up with the responses to the rudeness. (Unlike now, the rude person would end up apologizing.)

So this pin is about magic not even related to a little flaming circle around me feet! :teeth:

Sparkle_Cherry
11-18-2006, 05:14 PM
That's a wonderful story; I enjoyed reading it very much! I feel like you really do prize your inferno for that one reason. However I can't help asking, if you hadn't gotten an inferno back in beta stage wouldn't you want one now and trade tons for it? I'm sure some people want it for the same reason as you. Those who trade it around often maybe don't but to those who have been saving up for a long time and then finally, somebody accepts their offer, they would probably never want to trade it because it means something to them and they worked hard for it. And if they do, that's fine, I'm not saying you ever mentioned otherwise but in my opinion even if it means something different to them it doesn't mean they don't deserve to have inferno too.

~Sparky Boots pirate:

I know folks will be jumping in listing the super rare things in huge quantities, but before that happens, let me just chime in with a different perspective.

I wouldn't trade anything for my inferno. (And it's not just because it's so sought after. I have zero interest in owning green flips.)

When I started VMK during the beta phase, my favorite thing was magic pins. That was back when I was playing fireworks without a mouse (NOT Easy!) to try and win it. There wasn't a lot of magic, but boy were they fun.

This was before host events. So during the summer, when we all showed up for that first "big weekend event" in which we were sent off on a crazy "scanvenger" hunt and everyone was crashing and nothing went as planned, I ended up visiting Esmerelda for my lowly credits (not a lot for sale yet but I couldn't afford very much either. . . )

And there was a VMK staff person asking little trivia questions to people who happened by inside. No announcements, no hours, no lines to get in anywhere, just a lovely surprise.

First person to type the right answer got a pin, no telling which. I don't remember the staff name and I don't even remember the question, but I do remember my prize: Dancing Inferno Magic.

A magic pin! At last! Little did I know it would become this highly prized thing just because fewer people have them. And in the end, I realized I didn't care.

That little pin and how much I prize it has to do with those awful-wonderful early beta days when I was BlueMinnie and, even then, walked around VMK with my blue skin getting insults by kids who told me I was ugly. Whenever my DIS friends were with me, they would crack me up with the responses to the rudeness. (Unlike now, the rude person would end up apologizing.)

So this pin is about magic not even related to a little flaming circle around me feet! :teeth:

DemonLlama
11-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I can't help asking, if you hadn't gotten an inferno back in beta stage wouldn't you want one now and trade tons for it? . . . in my opinion even if it means something different to them it doesn't mean they don't deserve to have inferno too.

I didn't mean other people don't prize theirs as much as I do, just that there may be lots of different reasons that offers for it aren't going to persuasive.

Since I love magic pins, I know I would very much wish for one, but I don't think I could spend all my VMK time trying to aquire it.

One of the things that concerns me most about this game is the focus on envy: things are prized only because other people have them and you don't. The more rare, the bigger the "envy of the Kingdom." It kind of warps a lots of kids' thinking.

Which is why prizing friendship and fair play and fun surprises is part of why I cherish my inferno and other "things" aren't worth it to me.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread!)

Sparkle_Cherry
11-19-2006, 10:59 AM
I agree, there is so many people who just want to have what other people don't, so that other people can be jealous. That shouldn't be the main focus of a game.

Now what would I trade for inferno? Alot, but even though inferno is worth more than I own to some people, I would never trade everything for one magic pin. To me it seems ridiculous how people expect other players to cough up hoards of extremely hard-to-get items and beta for something they may have gotten for free from a host/staff member/beta tester.

Sure, it would be nice to have something that is difficult to aquire; maybe then, people would admire you. However that's not the main reason I want it; I see it as the last magic pin I need to complete my collection, but one magic that can be extremely difficult to get.

I have another question though llama; it has nothing to do with the rest of my post, its just a question that I'm curious about..... When you wear your Dancing Inferno Magic Pin, how many trade requests or players asking you if its for trade do you get in one hour? A day? :rotfl: I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 10-20 in an hour?

(Sorry for encouraging the hijacker, Lol jk. llama I think your first post gave some people a different perspective; its relevant)

pinkgalYall
11-19-2006, 12:05 PM
You have both got good points, I know its a lot of guts, just to say your inferno is for trade, never the less, some people work there bottom off just to get that offer, and no one takes it, why? Because it does not have what they want in it, i just posted this to myabe kind of help people get an idea, of the average things people would trade for it.

DaraAllen
11-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Just to put things in perspective, here is Goofy_bob's offer for inferno:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=15251224

I look It's a lot of stuff. I only have one inferno, and I'm emotionally attached to it. It is not greed, because if it were greed, Goofy's offer would have gotten it right away! I won it in a host game just before they stopped giving it out. It was Hula's room, in the Blizzard Beach room. You had to spin the random number generators to get ten or higher.

I don't remember details of all the games I play. I play a lot of games here on VMK. That one stood out! Mind you, no one had an idea at that point that they wouldn't be giving out inferno any more. Why did that stick with me? It's emotional, not waiting for the better offer! (what better offer could there be than Goof's?)

If I won a second one somehow, I would probably gift it to someone. A third, and I'd combine it with mine so it lasted longer.

But trade it? Can't bring myself to do it so far! I do look at Goofy's thread a few times a week, and mull it over. Maybe in a moment of weakness, I'll do it, but I know I will regret it if I do.

You never know what the future holds, so I can't say I will never trade it.

I hope that all those seeking it find it, without giving away everything they own. I hope some Inferno fairy places them in everybody's inventory. Their trade "value" needs to come down. It is unreasonable for a player to get it in trade any more. $400 or more for sale on eBay? For virtual dancing feet? Absolutely nuts.

I say, flood the market with them and level the playing field again.