PDA

View Full Version : Stranger in the park

Amyline
11-14-2006, 06:25 PM
My DH and I are taking our DS for his second birthday the Sunday and Monday AFTER Thanksgiving. Any ideas on the crowds at that time??

Also, I went to DL a few years ago and this man approached my friend and I.....he told us that there was lemonade waiting for us at the lemonade stand. My friend and I walked over just to humor this guy and sure enough there was lemonade waiting for us. The CM working there told us that this man comes to the park everyday and buys things for people all over the park and then leaves. The man disppeared before we could thank him. Has anyone else ever experienced this or know anything about him?

mystic_path
11-14-2006, 07:41 PM
UGH thats a little creepy if you ask me. Its a nice gesture, but I would be really cautious if someone did that to me. Especially with Lemonade.

Amyline
11-14-2006, 11:24 PM
It wasn't actually sitting there waiting for us, the cast member made it for us after we asked her about it.

flipturngirl
11-14-2006, 11:32 PM
It wasn't actually sitting there waiting for us, the cast member made it for us after we asked her about it.

Lol funny! I would be like wow... At least you got a cool drink and did not have to fork over a dime or more. lol

mystic_path
11-14-2006, 11:34 PM
At least you got a cool drink and did not have to fork over a dime or more. lol

I agree, lol at least you didnt have to spend money on it and you got a really nice drink. :thumbsup2

Albort
11-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Was this guy wearing some kind of suit? or like a bright green shirt?

eatmypixiedust
11-15-2006, 12:15 AM
I agree! That's kinda cool but at the same time it's a bit suspicious. http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/swoon.gif

stampinshauna
11-15-2006, 10:47 AM
It would be suspicious if he brought it over to you, but the fact that he just paid the CM and they made it for you it is a very nice gesture. It's too bad that kind acts like this become suspicious in this day & age.

Alex2kMommy
11-15-2006, 01:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing, it's a shame, but born out of necessity.

It's funny, as much as we complain about the high prices on everything, a sweet gentleman pays for a treat for complete strangers. Love it!

Albort
11-15-2006, 02:50 PM
well, heres the thing, its not only the Dream Squad that gives out the prizes, every department also giving away free food... the person that might have gotten it might be a manager or a lead. They have to pay since that will screw up the vendor's funds...

which is why im asking ppl if the guy was in a suit or and a green shirt...

hlbtimes2
11-15-2006, 03:21 PM
well, heres the thing, its not only the Dream Squad that gives out the prizes, every department also giving away free food... the person that might have gotten it might be a manager or a lead. They have to pay since that will screw up the vendor's funds...

which is why im asking ppl if the guy was in a suit or and a green shirt...

She said the free drink was a few years ago, not a recent thing.

Amyline
11-15-2006, 07:15 PM
The guy certainly was not affialiated with DL, to be honest (and I'm not being judgemental), he was older, a beard that was not unkept, clothes that looked old and soiled, he looked like someone who was homeless. The CM told us that he had been coming to the park for years (even Knottsberry), everyday and that he would go to different refreshment stands and souveiner shops and prepay for things like drinks, snacks, hats, shirts, etc.......and then would walk around the park and randomly pick people to receive these treats, but like I said, before we could thank him he was gone. This was back in 2003.

Lostgirlz
11-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Sad but yes I would be suspicious also, but at least the drinks were made WHEN you asked for them. Maybe he has money and no family to share it with so he goes to places where there are famlies who are spending happy times together and just tries to bring some joy. While it is uncommon in this day and age it's surely not extinct. He could also dress in such way that you wouldnt know he has money, or wouldnt be approached by not so nice people who would just try and use him for his generousity. This is just an opinion. :bride: :groom:

ScrapperKimmyD
11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
What a dear man!

I don't see why it should be suspicious, though. If he had ulterior motives, he wouldn't disappear like that.

Just a man spreading a little cheer, doing Random Acts of Kindness.

mystic_path
11-16-2006, 01:05 AM
The only other time i've seen something like this was when my brother was working at a local deli.

This man (A regular) would come into the store and prepay for something for the next paying customer, just out of goodness. He did it all the time.

Im assuming this is a very similar experience. Which is very nice, but like others have said on here. Its so sad that in this day in age, you have to be on the look out.

Its just too bad there arnt more people like this.

Albort
11-16-2006, 01:15 AM
i did something like that before. Some little girl around 8 came up to me asking to buy a coke. She pulls out like $1.75, which she was short $1.00, but i decided that id let her go. then some guy who sat next to my cart waiting for fireworks said he cover the extra $1, which i tried to not take it but he insisted on it pretty badly. Then her father saw and had the girl bring the guy the dollar. what a nice man...

TwingleMum
11-16-2006, 07:37 AM
I agree that its a sad commentary that you have to be suspicious of a man doing something nice. I think it was great that the treat was made while you waited. Maybe we could all try to spread a little more random acts of kindness when we are at DL. We could be secret pixie dusters :wizard:

ter-moo
11-16-2006, 08:20 AM
My DH and I are taking our DS for his second birthday the Sunday and Monday AFTER Thanksgiving. Any ideas on the crowds at that time??

Also, I went to DL a few years ago and this man approached my friend and I.....he told us that there was lemonade waiting for us at the lemonade stand. My friend and I walked over just to humor this guy and sure enough there was lemonade waiting for us. The CM working there told us that this man comes to the park everyday and buys things for people all over the park and then leaves. The man disppeared before we could thank him. Has anyone else ever experienced this or know anything about him?
WE met a man last summer (probably in his 70's) who goes to the park everyday and walks for exercise. Then he just talks to people, and watches people to pass the time before walking some more. I thought it was charming. Maybe this is the same guy? :confused3

tracyvansmith
11-16-2006, 08:54 AM
This thread has inspired me. :thumbsup2 When we go in Dec. I will find a good deed to do for someone while we are there. Maybe we should all do one thing and then post it here on Dis. :sunny:

I might by food, drinks or maybe hand out Disney Dollars. I will find something.

Usually around Christmas when we are at a restaurant we pay the waitress for someone else’s meal, while we are paying for our own, when we are leaving the restaurant. :wizard:

ZipaDeeDooDah
11-16-2006, 09:21 AM
This thread has inspired me. :thumbsup2 When we go in Dec. I will find a good deed to do for someone while we are there. Maybe we should all do one thing and then post it here on Dis. :sunny:

I might by food, drinks or maybe hand out Disney Dollars. I will find something.

Usually around Christmas when we are at a restaurant we pay the waitress for someone else’s meal, while we are paying for our own, when we are leaving the restaurant. :wizard:
That is such a great idea! :sunny: It doesn't always have to be in monetary form either; just helping or sharing with people in unexpected ways can spread pixie dust too! Imagine if all the DISers did this - the parks would be full of pixiedust: