PDA

View Full Version : Year of a Million Dreams swag - post here!

jlima
11-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Please post if you received any YOAMD stuff!!

I'll go first - my family received dream ears yesterday as we were getting off the Buzz Lightyear ride.

ScrapperKimmyD
11-13-2006, 10:11 AM
2 questions...

What's a YOAMD SWAG?

Do you have pics of the ears??? I have no idea what those look like! :teeth:

PattiPB
11-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Jealousy post ahead!!!!! :furious: :furious:

J/K---I'm very happy for you! I was disappointed we saw very, very little Dreams swag last trip to DL. I'm hoping to see more next month at DL and WDW.

Love for my kids to get some, but I'd be thrilled just to see it being given out! Wish I could've seen that lady get off Mr. Toad and get that cruise! :woohoo:

jlima
11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
What's a YOAMD SWAG?

Stuff the YOAMD "Prize Patrol" gives away. We saw several people with Dream Ears and a few people with the Dream Fastpass. And in the Timon parking lot I saw a sign that said "Guest Car of the Day", so somebody got a great parking spot!! ***Here it is . . . we did not get this spot; just saw it as we were getting on the tram in the Timon lot:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p98a3e31a006fc2dba375290ef4b7ea56/ec09a8fa.jpg

Do you have pics of the ears??? I have no idea what those look like! :teeth:As soon as I get my pic off my camera; hopefully later today!! ***Here we are:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p8629e26dd89a9ea27e0c33da25c4ca2a/ec09ab7b.jpg

ScrapperKimmyD
11-13-2006, 10:54 AM
So SWAG just means "prizes"?

Interesting. Wonder how that name came about.

but, whatever! Just swag me! pixiedust:

Rapunsel
11-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Getting off the Autopia last Sunday 11/5 with my DD 22mos. She was wearing her Tinkerbell costume and the CM came up to her and gave her a Tinkerbell pin that says "where dreams come true" It was attached to a card that basically said that she was given this just because, and that there were 2 pins in the package and she was to find someone else to give the 2nd pin to.

So she made friends with another little girl and that little girl had been looking for Tinkerbell all day.
So she met my DD dressed as tink and got a special pin. We were celebrating my DS5 birthday that day so it made it special for all of us.

ScrapperKimmyD
11-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Getting off the Autopia last Sunday 11/5 with my DD 22mos. She was wearing her Tinkerbell costume and the CM came up to her and gave her a Tinkerbell pin that says "where dreams come true" It was attached to a card that basically said that she was given this just because, and that there were 2 pins in the package and she was to find someone else to give the 2nd pin to.

So she made friends with another little girl and that little girl had been looking for Tinkerbell all day.
So she met my DD dressed as tink and got a special pin. We were celebrating my DS5 birthday that day so it made it special for all of us.

Oh. That is sooo sweet! :love:

Albort
11-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Very nice!

Im not allowed to win a swag :(

ScrapperKimmyD
11-13-2006, 12:03 PM
anyone know why the prizes are called swags?

cstraub
11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
anyone know why the prizes are called swags?

Dictionary.com to the rescue!!

Swag:

1. Slang.
a. plunder; booty.
b. money; valuables.

noladave
11-13-2006, 12:12 PM
swag is the current slang for merchandise give aways. Celebrities are currently some of the biggest targets for "SWAG" as they can help sell a product if they are seen using/wearing it. The OSCARS and other awards shows, give away a collection of "SWAG", and can be worth up to $100,000. Since the IRS has ruled that they are now taxable gifts, and must be reported, the value of gettting swag has been diminished.

The closest thing I've seen to explaining where the term came from is this parpagraph.

swag

Any corporate/branded merchandise given out for free in order to promote the company/brand. Usually little trinkets or doodads, sometimes clothing, and always cheaply mass-produced. Etymology of this term most likely stems from a middle-English use of the word 'swag' often in pirate circles or other criminal circles as a euphamism for loot or plunder. How anyone can really consider the modern day definition of swag as plunder or loot (since it's worthless) is beyond understanding.

The last sentence is obviously not referring to a major prize like a cruise, but other prizes like a fastpass (100's if not 1000's given away).

ScrapperKimmyD
11-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Ahh, now I get it!

Guess I'm not up on my Pirate talk! :goodvibes

EnnEss
11-13-2006, 02:39 PM
On the very first day of YOAMD my girlfriend and I were in Animal Kingdom on the last day of our 8 day trip to WDW (Sept 18th I think). We'd never been to WDW before being from the northwest, its very far away.

To our surprise we won a free cupcake as part of the promotion (we weren't aware it had started) and all the workers in the front came and clapped for us and cheered, and all the cooking staff stopped cooking and did the same from the back. It happened when we ordered our breakfast (although it was around 1130am).

This contest has been highly critisized on these boards for giving away so many small things, but I have to say that it was actually pretty special the way they did it and a free cupcake is a free declicious cupcake :). I thought it was very cool and we gobbled that cupcake right up!

disneegrl4eva
11-13-2006, 02:43 PM
So SWAG just means "prizes"?

Interesting. Wonder how that name came about.

but, whatever! Just swag me! pixiedust:

I wanna be swagged too :yay: :yay: :yay:

SilverCeladon
11-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Oh I hope I get something! I leave in 2 days! I think it would be a dream if my son got a special pin or something!

Dsnylndlvrs
11-13-2006, 06:03 PM
I always thought "swag" came from either "stuff we've all got" or "stuff we all get." Not quite sure exactly where I came up with that meaning though! :confused3

Glad that some are getting some "dreams" at Disneyland, I was afraid that it would be more focused on WDW - always kinda feel more focus is there, despite my LOVE for the original! :love:

We head to Disneyland this week and I'd be really excited to see someone get something (even better if it was us!! :teeth: )

Sthronds
11-13-2006, 06:18 PM
I would love to get something! We leave on Wednesday and I would be happy with a cupcake! I'll report back when I return. :thumbsup2

lulubelle
11-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I wanna a SWAG - I love cupcakes!

mystic_path
11-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Swag me baby! Swag me! LOL! :rotfl:

kaygela
11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I wonder if they are waiting to give out the bigger prizes closer to Christmas and New Years.:santa:

KatelynnsAuntie
11-13-2006, 10:44 PM
When I was there last month we also received the mouse ears. They are a light blue with silver ears. :) We got them in DCA crossing over the bridge right by Ariel's Grotto. It was so cool! :thumbsup2 The only other noticeable thing I saw people win were dream fast passes. That would have been cool too. :)

sammatt
11-13-2006, 11:09 PM
My family won the dream ears, too. They are cute!

disneycutie84
11-14-2006, 12:41 AM
DBf and I won dream ears, and even though it was just a "small" prize...it was good enough for me! I was so excited I almost cried.
Here I am wearing my new ears...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/disneycutie84/Disneyland2006032.jpg
:goodvibes

jlima
11-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Very nice!

Im not allowed to win a swag :(Have you ever been in a Prize Patrol? Do you give away stuff?

Pooh_Friend#1
11-14-2006, 04:14 PM
On Sunday, November 12th my SO and I were exiting Space Mountain and the prize patrol was there and handed us dream fast passes....it was awesome!! I never thought it would happen to me so I was extremely happy.

MunkyMe13
11-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I am going this weekend... Hopefully prize patrol has something for DH and I... *crosses her fingers*

DCA_MillionaireFreak
11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
I really want the ears, but I am not going to Disney anytime during the YOAMD.

Twinprincesses
11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
We recvd free cotton candy. Nothing too exciting but a very nice surprise.

mAlien13
11-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I would love to get something! We leave on Wednesday and I would be happy with a cupcake! I'll report back when I return. :thumbsup2
OOOHHH!!! I hope you have so so so much fun!!!

siouxi31
11-16-2006, 07:06 AM
Yesterday, Nov 15th, when I was exiting the Pirates ride, we all received a coupon for a free 5x7 from the photopass place. I was really excited but do you know, I had a hard time finding a photo person? At WDW, they're all over main street but at DL, I walked up and down Main Street and couldn't find one.

Finally, as I was getting ready to exit the park, there was a photog person by the Christmas tree. I had my picture taken and went back to the photo store to redeem the coupon.

misscampbells
11-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Does anyone have any pics of these dream fastpasses? Are they good just at Disneyland or are they good at CA as well? Also, they are only good for rides that offer fastpasses, right? Not all the rides like Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc?

Kathy

Pooh_Friend#1
11-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Does anyone have any pics of these dream fastpasses? Are they good just at Disneyland or are they good at CA as well? Also, they are only good for rides that offer fastpasses, right? Not all the rides like Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc?

Kathy
They are good at DL and DCA for certain rides. I don't have pictures but the DCA fast pass rides were for ToT, Soaring, California Screaming, Muhullond Drive (something like that!!), the grizzly water ride. The fast passes for DL were for Roger Rabbit spin, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones, and I believe one more that I am spacing out.

ScrapperKimmyD
11-16-2006, 10:23 AM

Kathy

I saw one somewhere - I believe it was on this board somewhere. Do a search and maybe it will come up.

Welivefordisney
11-16-2006, 11:57 AM
We were at Disneyland in October for my son's wish trip, we received the lanyard with the pins, honorary citizen pins, and a free dinner at the Rancho restaurant by Big Thunder. It was very cool!!!
In addition to that my husband and son were picked by Merlin to pull the sword from the stone, hubby couldn't do it, but my son did. He was thrilled and received a very nice medal for his feat!

everwondering
11-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Just got back from 3 days and never even saw anything being given away. :( Oh well. Would've been neat, but we still had the time of our lives! :)

lenzs4
11-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Just got back from 3 days and never even saw anything being given away. :( Oh well. Would've been neat, but we still had the time of our lives! :)

We spent the first two weeks of Oct in WDW - NO SWAG. Then 3 days in DL - NO SWAG:confused3 :worried:

I did see one family with ears, lanyard and fast pass - they were in the right place at the right time. I spoke to them and they had also gotten a fast pass ticket to ride a roller coster - BTM I think.

pppiglet
11-19-2006, 11:01 PM
So what does the prize patrol look like?

jlima
11-20-2006, 01:02 AM
When we got our dream ears it was just two CMs in the "bypass" corridor after the exit to the Buzz ride. We emailed our photos home, then walked down the hall instead of going through the pin shop, because we wanted to ride it again and DH would have stopped to buy pins. Each had several pairs of ears in each hand and they were giving them away. They may have been wearing blue shirts with the YOAMD logo.

booeyjc
11-20-2006, 06:51 PM
We went last week but didn't get any swag :(

My daughter did get a "My First Trip to Disneyland" button though!...
and my niece got a "It's My Birthday" button since it was her 7th b-day!

jonestavern
11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Congrats all!

Jean & Chris

sammatt
11-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I had previously posted about my family receiveng the dream ears while exiting BTMRR in October. Well, we just returned from a 3 day trip, and won something else. My daughter must be the luckiest girl...and only when I'm not with her! She and my father-in-law were waiting for the Animation Academy at DCA on Tuesday when they received the lanyard with 2 pins. We are not pin collectors, but these 2 pins are so sweet! They have the YOAMD logo in the middle, graced on each side by a character. Very nice! I told my daughter we need to split up more often and maybe she'll win the DVC ownership! Keep in mind taht she's 9! LOL!!!!

jlima
12-19-2006, 01:06 AM
We went this past weekend and got the ears AGAIN! Woo hoo!

It was on Sunday, and the prize patrol was at the front of the park as you walk through the tunnel into Main Street USA, on the right side by the old stroller rental area. There were about 4 - 5 CMs, and they had shoulder bags full of them.

DisGirl819
12-19-2006, 02:29 PM
We recieved free fast passes for Buzz Lightyear as we were exiting the ride. It was cool :cool1: and made me feel special for a minute. THAT is Disneyland to me! :love:

pppiglet
12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Gee..I go every weekend and haven't won a thing. I haven't even seen the prize patrol!

wendithepooh
12-19-2006, 07:55 PM
We were there Dec 10-16 and we won the fast passes on Monday.We were entering the park under the right side of the bridge when I seen the dream team giving them away.I told DH hurry come over here.He thought I was just being rude.Boy was he glad he listened.

Then later that same day DD10 and I split off with the rest to go to TOT (with the other's fast passes)and the second time we got off the team was giving the lanyards out.Boy where the others mad.One of the dream team members said I should go play the lottery we were so lucky.BTW those marketing people did there job-everyone bought lanyards and pins.We started pin trading.Very Fun!!!!They got our money.If anyone is interested in starting to pin trade go to the character wharehouse and buy their cheapest pins and trade them for the ones you want.Don't buy them.

On our last day I recognized 2 of the dream team so we tailed them.Didn't get anything,but DD5 had on her Snow White costume and one of them made her a balloon apple .She carried it around like it was gold.They asked if we wanted them to buy us lunch but we thought they were just kidding(didn't know they were dream team then,we said Blue Beyu they said too hard to get into)They said to watch starting Christmas Day they are going to be announcing something big.????BTW they have lightish blue button-up shirts on and have a black bag that says YEAR OF A MILLION DREAMS on it.When they are on offical business they have on white vests.

Good Luck to all.Hope this helps.

Echo queen
12-19-2006, 10:23 PM
:wizard: On 12/15/06 our visit ever to DL we got the dream fast pass as we were exiting the astro blaster. :banana: My family had no idea what was going on, I just couldn't believe it. On the next day we were HONORARY CITIZEN OF DISNEYLAND, we did the opening count down and waved everyone into the park.

spazzyjazzy
12-19-2006, 11:41 PM
We recieved free fast passes for Buzz Lightyear as we were exiting the ride. It was cool :cool1: and made me feel special for a minute. THAT is Disneyland to me! :love:

Did you get your passes on the Monday after Thanksgiving sometime in the morning? There was a family about 2 people ahead of us that got the fastpasses coming off of Buzz Lightyear. I was so jealous!

scraptoons
12-20-2006, 12:11 AM
http://www.wdwnews.com/assets/images/ThumbL/101106_100254041692.jpg

Has anyone seen this? It's the royal suite in the castle.

Late January is when they start putting lucky guests in.

DevilDuckie
12-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Swag as it is used today has a double meaning. There is the "loot or plunder" definition, but how it came back into common parlance is also interesting.

Back in the peak of the dot com boom, tech conventions and trade shows became very competitive for the assorted vendor who used all sorts of marketing gimicks to attract attendees to their booths. Giveaways included t shirts, leather covered notebooks, upscale snack items- even drawings for computers or the $1000 software packages being pushed. "Swag" came to be used as an acronym for Stuff We All Get.