PDA

View Full Version : Most meal for the Money

tirby
11-07-2006, 08:46 PM
What places in DR and DTD gives you a good portion of food for the buck.
With teenages and a hungry hubby the fancy plate with decorated meat just wont cut it.
What about Rain Forest or Pacific warf Rockets, piolets grill
or ????
List your experiances.
For referance a foot long subway sandwiches is no match for my kids or hubby

disneegrl4eva
11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
What places in DR and DTD gives you a good portion of food for the buck.
With teenages and a hungry hubby the fancy plate with decorated meat just wont cut it.
What about Rain Forest or Pacific warf Rockets, piolets grill
or ????
List your experiances.
For referance a foot long subway sandwiches is no match for my kids or hubby

well for breakfast you can always do a character meal...all you can eat :thumbsup2

hlbtimes2
11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
We found the meals at River Bell Terrace and the Plaza inn to both be very large. At pizza port I usually get a kids meal, dh gets a slice of pizza, and we share one of their big salads. I'm sure there are other, but those come to mind first.

MateasMom
11-07-2006, 09:58 PM
If they're pasta eaters, the portions at Pizza Port are HUGE. My kids love the Chicken Alfredo and 1 serving ($7.99) easily serves the two of them (5 and 7) and myself.

I've never had the burgers/sandwiches at Tasty Pilot (or whatever it's called...next to Soarin) but the portions always look big to me. I get the chicken salad BTW which IMO is super tasty.

Mary Jo
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Here's another vote for Plaza Inn. They have good size pasta, roast beef, fried chicken, and cobb salad dishes. I can never finish my plate.

Alex2kMommy
11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
We found the meals at River Bell Terrace and the Plaza inn to both be very large. At pizza port I usually get a kids meal, dh gets a slice of pizza, and we share one of their big salads. I'm sure there are other, but those come to mind first.
I agree, our meals in both these places were very generous. Goofy's Kitchen also has a buffet dinner (character meal.) Someone posted a plate of nachos (I think it was from Rainforest Cafe) that looked enormous and very yummy! So if that's any indication of the size of their meals, that might be a good place for hungry teenagers!

drag n' fly
11-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Plaza Inn has big portions...Offsite Mimi's has huge portions for a really great price!

spazzyjazzy
11-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I agree with Mimi's Cafe. They do have yummy big portions.
Also try Rancho Del Zocalo in Frontierland. My son has a big appetite too. He ate two slices of pizza from the Pizza Port last time we were there and they are huge slices.

birdmom
11-08-2006, 12:18 AM
yes I agree the pasta at pizza port is great, and more then enough to share.

brandonbr
11-08-2006, 02:35 AM
My votes are for the launch pad pasta ($8.49 which feeds two and has lots of carbs from the pasta and proteins from the chicken for your day, and it tastes really good) at the pizza port, chicken wings at golden horseshoe (Although you can still see the show if you don't buy anything) are a nice way to do a lunch or dinner. Carnation Cafe is a nice quiet place to eat and not too much and the service is always great.

In DCA test pilot is popular because you can put as many toppings on yourself as you'd like. I like the bakery though in the wharf. The $6 or $7 for the becon egg bowl is worth it, but I usually would get a huge cinnamon roll for $3.50 for breakfast. The other things in the store are really good for the price. The crescent rolls with eggs are really good too. I actually have never had lunch at the bakery but breakfast is cheap and good there, I'd imagine lunch or dinner would be the same.

In DTD tortilla joes express (Not the restaurant) is good and a few bucks less thant he park for the same amount of food. A nacho will fill one and a half people for $5.

The character meals are fun, but I'd recommend doing them the second day or mid vacation so you can stuff yourself and work off the extra lb's the rest of the trip. I'll stuff myself with plenty of protein which you usually don't get when trying to save money on eating at the park. Night meals are usually better so you can sleep off some of the food than waddling around for the morning if you do a breakfast. :)

dbanzai
11-08-2006, 07:25 AM
One time I survived well on a meal from the Pacific Wharf Cafe... When I was done eating the salad, I put the bowl in a bag and had it to nibble on the whole day. The salads and soups are great to begin with IMHO.

tirby
11-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Ok first let me say THIS SITE IS ADDICTING!! :surfweb: (and I like it :goodvibes )
Gosh thanks for the info. Anyone else?
I really hadent even thought of the character meals because I thought the kids would think it was silly, and that they were outrageous expensive. :confused3
But I do know I'm hungry and excited!!! :woohoo:

Misskitty3
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
The Mexican restaurant at DL had huge portions too.

Another^Dimension
11-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Most meal for the Money

White Water Snacks - The yummy nachos, a large tasty cheeseburger or chicken sandwich or the very good French dip sandwich! :thumbsup2

tirby
11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Is white water snack a counter service?
Is Pacific warf a counter service?

MATTERHORN
11-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Whitewater snacks all the way! They have huge portions and pretty decent prices!!

got2travel
11-08-2006, 04:21 PM
White Water Snacks and Pacific Warfh Cafe are both counter service. However WWS is in the Grand Californian hotel and is an enhanced counter service. At least that's my term for it. If you order hot food, you pay for it, they give you a number to put on your table, then they bring it to you.

I just posted a picture of the nachos in the dinning review with pictures thread that is a sticky on the top of the board.

Other choices for large meals would be Rancho del Zocalo (I posted pictures of this too) and Plaza Inn or French Market fried chicken platters. Its 3 pieces of chicken with fries or potatoes.

Don't be a afraid of character meals either. I've seen many teenagers let down their 'cool' and allow themselves to have fun. And if you get one of the latest breakfast seatings, it can be more of a brunch and will be less expensive.

tirby
11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
So you do not have to have a room at the Hotel to eat there? COOL.

MATTERHORN
11-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Nope! Anyone can eat at any of the Disneyland properties! It's one of my favorite things to do when I am staying off site - eat at the hotels!

RangerPooh
11-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Over the years DH and I have discovered which places are the best (in our opinion) for portion size. Rancho del Zocalo has good sized portions. We usually split a plate and dessert. Carnation Cafe has good sized portions and prices. Since you ahve a group you might always try buying a whole pizza at Red Rockets. This is what we've done with a group, and then if there are leftovers we jus ask for aluminum foil to take it with us. Test Pilots Grill and White Water Snacks are also good sized.

tirby
11-09-2006, 03:06 PM
We all like pizza that might be ok too. I think the DH is wanting to try a bread bowl full of something He just likes the sound of it.
We dont eat out much at home maybe 3 or 4 times a YEAR. So this will be so fun. AND give me a great break!!! :woohoo:
It's funny food usually tastes better when there are no dishes in the sink :rolleyes: I wonder why![/B]

Also what is one food item you can realy [B]only get at Disneyland or what is like the one thing (if that was all you at at DL) that is a must. Like an OLD FASHION gotta eat. Not like Nacho or anything. ( but we will probably try thoes too)

Disney Hot Mama
11-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Here's another vote for Plaza Inn. They have good size pasta, roast beef, fried chicken, and cobb salad dishes. I can never finish my plate.

:thumbsup2 and another vote! The fried chicken is delicious and the portions huge! My kids even enjoyed the kids meals here as they served fresh fruit with them... And the drinks are free refills!

Hoping to go there tomorrow for lunch!

Misskitty3
11-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Also what is one food item you can realy only get at Disneyland or what is like the one thing (if that was all you at at DL) that is a must. Like an OLD FASHION gotta eat. Not like Nacho or anything. ( but we will probably try thoes too)

CHURROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

disneycutie84
11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Churros and Dole Whips!!!!! :cloud9:

MateasMom
11-10-2006, 12:09 AM
I prefer Costco Churros :teeth: Cheaper AND yummier :thumbsup2 LOL

tirby
11-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Churros and Dole Whips!!!!! :cloud9:

Ok not trying to sound ignorant, I know what the dole whip is and have seen pictures of churros but what exacty are they?

MateasMom
11-10-2006, 10:14 AM
I thought everyone knew what a churro was :confused3 Well, you're missing out! It's a long donut type 'stick'. It's about a foot long and covered in sugars. When fresh, they're nice and warm and WONDERFUL! They're a very popular fair and theme park food.

Leofoenget
11-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Is that the one by tarzan tree house? If so then I have to agree. I got a turkey sandwitch and the thing was massive. Also we had a roast beef meal at the restaurant on main street right by tomorrow land with all the umbrellas by the bathroom. (sorry dont know names but its right as you enter tomorrow land) I think it's where they have the charactor breakfast? There was a TON of food. And the food was very good.

disneycutie84
11-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Ok not trying to sound ignorant, I know what the dole whip is and have seen pictures of churros but what exacty are they?

I would agree with the description MateasMom gave. Churros are great! The sugar on the outside, combined with the deep fried donut taste is delicous!!

tirby
11-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Any one else. And the tree house thing is that the one everyone is talking about? It has been SO LONG from when I was at DL last that I'm sure it doesnt even look the same! :goodvibes I cant wait!! :goodvibes

dbanzai
11-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Actually, come to think of it, my favorite is the turkey legs. Pretty good bang for you buck.

tirby
11-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Oh never thought of that. And as hyper as the kids will be maybe it will be a way to calm them down. hahahahahaha

jlima
11-14-2006, 01:26 AM
Storyteller's Cafe in the GCH has a buffet; however expect the price to be up there. However if you have an AP you can get a 15% discount and get Disney Dining pins!!

staley7580
11-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I prefer Costco Churros :teeth: Cheaper AND yummier :thumbsup2 LOL

Funny, thats what I was thinking at dl, Why spend $3 on something I could get at costco for a buck?

staley7580
11-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Um this is kinda off topic, but do you get a food discount with aaa?

tirby
11-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Um this is kinda off topic, but do you get a food discount with aaa?
I never thought of that? I have AAA too. Anyone know?

hlbtimes2
11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
You get a discount at the Character meals, but not off other dinning. Dont recall if its 10 or 20% off. Check the AAA site for the discount amount.

hlbtimes2
11-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Is that the one by tarzan tree house? If so then I have to agree. I got a turkey sandwitch and the thing was massive. Also we had a roast beef meal at the restaurant on main street right by tomorrow land with all the umbrellas by the bathroom. (sorry dont know names but its right as you enter tomorrow land) I think it's where they have the charactor breakfast? There was a TON of food. And the food was very good.

Yep, the Riverbell is next to Tarzans tree house and the Plaza is the one with the umbrellas near tomorrowland/ main street. The plaza does have a character breakfast. Its my fav. character meal.

tirby
12-09-2006, 12:29 PM
ANY ONE have an answer as to where this is located?
sorry already answered

Albort
12-09-2006, 12:38 PM
ANY ONE have an answer as to where this is located?
sorry already answered

Wheres what located?

tirby
12-09-2006, 01:26 PM

The place this person was asking/telling about.

MateasMom
12-09-2006, 01:29 PM
The place by Tarzans treehouse. I think it's called the Riverbelle terrace. There is a sign/door right outside Tarzans treehouse, so go there LOL, regardless of the name.

The place on main street next to tomorrow land is on main street next to tomorrow land. When walking down mainstreet, this is the last building (large, can't miss it, dining tables outside) on the right side of mainstreet, just inside the 'hub'. Honestly, can't miss it. The only eatery on mainstreet right as you walk into tomorrowland.

Leofoenget
12-09-2006, 03:10 PM
The place by Tarzans treehouse. I think it's called the Riverbelle terrace. There is a sign/door right outside Tarzans treehouse, so go there LOL, regardless of the name.

The place on main street next to tomorrow land is on main street next to tomorrow land. When walking down mainstreet, this is the last building (large, can't miss it, dining tables outside) on the right side of mainstreet, just inside the 'hub'. Honestly, can't miss it. The only eatery on mainstreet right as you walk into tomorrowland.

The Place on Main Street is Plaza Inn

The place by Tarzan tree house is River Bell

http://www.mickeyxtreme.com/dlmenus.htm#MainStreet

maberlyne
12-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Plaza Inn also gives AAA discounts (10%?). They even prompted us last time when we ate there! Didn't even have to remember on our own! So that was nice :)

tirby
12-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Plaza Inn also gives AAA discounts (10%?). They even prompted us last time when we ate there! Didn't even have to remember on our own! So that was nice :)
OK we will definatly eat there! :thumbsup2

funnygarcia
12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
It's interesting to read of people buyng churros to have at home. Never heard of one until we went to DL and they are not carried around here in MN(they might have some at a Mexican grocery store).
Minnesotans consider fair food to be " (name that food) on a stick" anything from wild rice to pickles!

Another must have DL food are skewers at Bengal BBQ ( a small walk up stand across from Tarzan's Treehouse, right before the Adventureland side entrance to River Belle). They have ones with asparagus wrapped in bacon - YUM! I didn't care for the chicken skewers, the sauce was too sweet.

For a sweet treat go to the shop at the exit of Winnie the Pooh. I loved the pretzel rods dipped in caramel and chocolate, decorated with M&M's or other toppings. The boys had the marshmallows on a stick "dirt" style complete with a gummy worm. It has become a new family tradition. Go on Splash as single rider , ride Pooh, grab a treat and sit in Columbia's dry dock area. Or stand over the bridge on that back walkway and watch the logs of wet people after they come down the big drop.

MateasMom
12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
It's interesting to read of people buyng churros to have at home. Never heard of one until we went to DL and they are not carried around here in MN(they might have some at a Mexican grocery store).
Minnesotans consider fair food to be " (name that food) on a stick" anything from wild rice to pickles!

I don't know that they're very common here either.... but the only places I've ever seen them (that I remember) are amusement parks, fairs, and Costco food court (and I think they have them at ALL Costco food courts because I read a thing about them being unusually popular at Costco in another country).

BTW...many many years ago there used to be a poster funnygarcia on MyCoupons. Would that be you, or another funnygarcia ;)

brianroaz
12-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Best two deals at the park:

1. A veggie mexicone (black bean is my choice) is only $3.50 at the outside taqueria at Tortilla Joe's in Downtown Disney (make sure you ask for both red and green salsas).

2. The cinnamon tea latte for only $2.50 (huge size, too) at the Market Street shop on Main Street.

fabshelly
12-13-2006, 01:40 AM
Naples isn't bad, pretty good deal. The buffets at Storytellers and Club 33 are pricey, but the food is high-quality and it's all you can eat. Plus, at the Club you get a one-day park-hopper, free - so the meal works out to less than 20.00. The downside is, you have to be a member or know a member to get in.

Redd Rockett's Pizza Port has huge servings. I'd get a bowl of pasta and a huge salad back in my carby days, and that would easily feed three people. And honey, I can eat. The portions at River Belle are pretty big, Zocalo as well.

Honestly? Go across the street - but not to Mimi's - Mimi's isn't bad, but Millie's is freakin' incredible. You can walk to the park there after breakfast - if you can actually walk at that point!

Whitewater Snacks has a wonderful French Dip. Good portions, fair prices.

On Sunday, go to Knott's for their buffet. You'll thank me forever.

funnygarcia
12-13-2006, 03:23 PM
BTW...many many years ago there used to be a poster funnygarcia on MyCoupons. Would that be you, or another funnygarcia ;)

LOL
Yeah it's me :blush: I'm still around Mycoupons just not as much. I've been sliding away from finding the deals (except deals for Disneyland!!).
Though now with The Cafe board open you might see me pop in again.

AllJackedUp
12-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Just returned from 4 days at DL...we ate in the park for the most part but when we did venture out to DTD, we had an absolutely HORRIBLE meal at Tortilla Jo's. Worst Mexican food I've ever had...hair in the food and they still didn't take anything off our bill. Paid $33 for two entrees...

We actually just paid and then left and went back to eat in the park...you can't beat those sourdough bread bowls!

Best meal we had was Blue Bayou...man, those short ribs were awesome! My friend said it was the best salmon she's ever had and the Tortuga Trio of creme brulee was marvelous! Well worth the price and we would have eaten there again if only we could have gotten another rez!

DevilDuckie
12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Taste Pilot's Grill has good portions and Boudin has hearty bread bowls of soup or salad. Both satisfy DH's large appitite.

Zoemakes5
12-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I have always thought the character meals were the best. The all you care to eat is always a bonus for my family. I'd go with older kids.
My experience with ESPN Zone is that they have a ton of food.
Rainforest is typically pretty good sized, too.
Italian food tends to be very filling. I haven't been there, but I'd think the Naples/Napolini would suit.

21yankees
03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
just to subscribe (for planning)

tirby
07-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I know it's been a while BUT I'M BACK! AND I am going to DL again :woohoo:
we are staying on Katella at quality inn. (if you didn't like it please DONT tell me! I prepaid and cant cancel!) so I will be entering the park from the west side instead of the east. I AM SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED:banana: any NEW yummy foods to add that are cheep and big portioned!

cyclenut
07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
I always recommend Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. All you can eat BBQ and sides. Good Eatin'!

Pizza Port is a favorite and the sourdough bread bowls are are a nice treat too. I like to get one for the show at Golden Horseshoe, but they are also over at DCA. Plaza Del Zocolla is the other place we seem to prefer for value. If we eat at DCA we tend to eat at Taste Pilot's Grill, but to me it is really nothing special.

IndayMichelle
07-22-2011, 02:59 AM
I always recommend Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. All you can eat BBQ and sides. Good Eatin'!

Agreed! And lunch is only 19.99. All you can eat BBQ for 19.99 is a good deal in or out of the park. And the beans are really good! The beverage isn't included, but if you order chocolate milk it's bottomless! I drink more chocolate milk at Disney Park restaurants than anywhere else!