PDA

View Full Version : Del Sol Inn? and Christmas Crowd?

tracyvansmith
11-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Has anyone stayed at the Del Sol Inn? If so what is it like and how far of a walk is it to Disneyland? Also what should the crowds be like on Dec. 17 and 18? Just wondering when the Christmas crowds starts? :confused3

MATTERHORN
11-05-2006, 12:40 PM
The Del Sol Inn is very close, right across the crosswalk. We stay at the Desert Inn and it's in their parking lot (pretty much) but it looks decent to me. Most sites I am on though, people give it pretty bad reviews and I have read some pretty bad things. I know someone will always have something bad to say, but the majority of posts I read about this place are BAD! You might want to research it a little on some trip websites!

Crowds will be pretty big on those days as it is the first days of vacation for most people that have kids in school. All our schools here get out on the 15th, so I would predict there will be fairly large crowds those days. Not to scare you, it's just the way it usually works after the schools get out, and with the return of the monorail, Matterhorn and the Electrical Parade those days!

funnygarcia
11-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Haven't stayed at Del Sol.. but a few years ago I was in a Super Shuttle, we picked up a mom and her child there on way to airport.

The woman told me she travels a lot, visits DL often and a family member told her to try Del Sol.. she said it was the WORST hotel she had ever stayed at.. wanted to leave the first day.
Dirty room, worn down/broken items, creepy and rude staff.
She was going to give the family member a "piece of her mind" when she got home. grumble.. grumble ..grumble... But she did say she had a wonderful time at DL and will be back at one of her preferred hotels next visit.

Plus have read reviews online.. try Tripadvisor for lots of reviews. Bad news.. eww... eww..stay away! :sad2:

tracyvansmith
11-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Now I am confused. :confused3 I have checked out Del Sol on Tripadvisor (3/12 out of 5), and Expedia (3.9 out of 5, 14 of 16 recommend) and it has gotten good reviews on both. Also checked out this site which I was told about on Cruise Critic geocities (dot) com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap (dot) html and it had good reviews too. Not sure what to think now. :guilty:

funnygarcia
11-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe they changed hands in the last year or so? :confused3

I didn't read Trip advisor for recent reviews until now.. You're right, it has decent reviews. Tempted to check them out sometime myself.
Always looking for places close to the crosswalk on a budget.

If all you need is a place to shower and sleep .. then I think Del Sol should be fine.
Most families spend very little time at a hotel when at DL.. just too much fun to miss! :woohoo:

Have fun!!

PattiPB
11-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Hello!

We go to DL about every other month, and have stayed at virtually every place on Harbor. You must remember, they are ALL 1950-1960's style MOTELS. They are all relatively clean, yet definitely dated in decor and some furnishings/carpet.

We will not return to the Del Sol. We found it dark and the rooms we had (2) were very large, but fairly depressing. Mid-afternoon we had to turn lights on due to a lack of natural light. We had ants in both rooms, and had no good response from management.

Personally, I can take most anything for a quick weekender. However, you have time to research some other places. IMHO, I suggest you do that.

kuusimo
11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
We stayed at the Del Sol 2 years ago. It was a decent place for the price we paid for it. They have raised their rates since then though.

Pros:
Rooms were much larger than expected. They have a lot of space. The breakfast was better than most of the other continental breakfasts along Harbor. It is behind Denny's and they offered a discount there as well as other places to eat.

Cons:
Bathrooms were old. We did not have anyone above us until the last night. I would suggest a top floor room. Air conditioning unit was old. They had water heater problems when we were there. Parking is tight, and you cannot park in the Denny's lot. Pool was cold.

The walk is very close and easy to Disneyland. If you are looking for a place to sleep, it is a decent place. I just know what I paid two years ago and have a hard time paying what they want now. They did match a price I found online and did accomodate us in many ways though. Staff was really nice. I hope that helps.