PDA

View Full Version : good time to go?

Chesire
11-04-2006, 11:38 PM
I thought I remember seeing a calander that showed which times were the slowest in the parks ... but I can't find it now.
Does anyone happen to know where I can find something like that?
Or maybe, does anyone know what types of crowds might be around during mid-March?

Thanks! :)

cats mom
11-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for... but I did find a general crowd guide. I'm not really sure how much you can count on it's accuracy though.
I know all bets were off for the 50th celebration.
We went in Oct. 2005, which should be lowest attendance as per this guide, but I swear it was as crowded then as it was the week between Christmas and New Years' (if you've never been then - it's just ugly crowded)

I would say in mid March a lot depends on if you happen to hit a big spring break week or not, and with rolling spring breaks I would think that's almost impossible to predict.

The Lowest Attendance:
January (except New Year's Day) until just prior to Presidents' Week in February
The week following Labor Day until the week prior to Thanksgiving
The week following Thanksgiving until mid-December

More Moderate Attendance:
After Presidents' week in February through early March
Late April through early June (except Memorial Day weekend)
Columbus Day Weekend (October)
The first part of Thanksgiving week

Highest Attendance:
Presidents' week in February
Mid March through Late April ("Spring Break")
Memorial Day weekend
Mid June through Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day and weekend
Christmas week through New Year's Day

Chesire
11-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for!

I don't suppose anyone has ever gone mid-March (14th to the 18th)? How bad is it?

mystic_path
11-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for... but I did find a general crowd guide. I'm not really sure how much you can count on it's accuracy though.
I know all bets were off for the 50th celebration.
We went in Oct. 2005, which should be lowest attendance as per this guide, but I swear it was as crowded then as it was the week between Christmas and New Years' (if you've never been then - it's just ugly crowded)

I would say in mid March a lot depends on if you happen to hit a big spring break week or not, and with rolling spring breaks I would think that's almost impossible to predict.

I was in disneyland the first week of October this year. First visit to any disney park ever :woohoo: LOL! I booked that week off as i've been told over and over again that the park is less crowded during that time.... :confused3 but you coulda fooled me. There was no walking room for most of the week, and the ride waits were over an hour long.

HydroGuy
11-05-2006, 10:32 AM
In answer to your question about mid-March, I have not been that week but I know someone who went last year during that week. It is right on the cusp of Spring Break, but not quite there yet - so as far as crowds go it will be considered mid-season - not quite low season and not quite high.

The person I know who went last year got rained on most of the days. Which partly leads back to the title of your thread "good time to go?".

There are many people who equate "low crowds" which "good time to go". But there are others (like me) who don't. Yes, I would prefer lower crowds, but in the bigger picture I do not like the other things that often go hand-in-hand with low crowds.

- Numerous unavailable rides that are being refurbed
- Limited shows and fireworks
- Limited park hours
- Greater risk of poor weather

For example, it appears that at least two of the headliner rides at DL will be closed in March - Splash Mtn and POTC. If we go only once every one or two years, I want to go when I know these rides will be operating. And that usually means periods of larger crowds.

See "HydroGuy's High Season/Off Season Tradeoff Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199852 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199852)

In any case, whether crowded or uncrowded, Disneyland is a great place to be and I am sure you will have a great trip no matter when you go.

Chesire
11-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks so much! :)

Albertan mom
11-06-2006, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=cats mom]

The Lowest Attendance:
January (except New Year's Day) until just prior to Presidents' Week in February

More Moderate Attendance:
After Presidents' week in February through early March

When is Presidents week? Is that the one that follows Washingtons Day? (asked by a Canadian!) :teeth:

I found it. It is Feb 16-25th. :)

brandonbr
11-06-2006, 12:56 AM
I went January 23rd-25th 2005, Dec 29th 2005, and October 23-28 2006 .

The january trip was so dead it almost wasn't fun. 4 or 5 rides were on refurb or holiday removal. One afternoon (about 2-3pm) we walked from big the golden horse shoe to fantasy land and didn't see anyone. Rides were walk on or 5 minute waits for most things, 15 minute was probably the longest for kids rides (PP, mr toads, dumbo) but because of the few numbers of people it was quiet and almost like no one was having fun, just pain weird and I'd actually avoid going to DL when it's like that again. It was a mon-wed so if I did a jan trip again I'd do wed-sat or sat-wed.

Dec 29th was incredibly busy but everything was running. The person I was with was a local and we actually hit about 15 rides in 7 hours (single rider, fast passes, and being at the right place at the right time). It was so crowded walking around was tough, not good if you're with kids or are doing stroller swaps.

October this year wasn't too bad. Rides were 10-30 minutes, decent crowds on friday but not annoying. FP's sometimes weren't even worth it to get during the week but we did for scrap booking purposes. When friday came though it was busy, about 60% of peak day attendance and many rides were using more than minimal cars, but few were at max riders/hour.

From what I've seen/heard january is low, feb too. March starts to get school trips and teens ride twice as many rides as your typical family. April more students and grad trips. May begins family trips for most people and continues until the second week in sept usually. October usually isn't too bad and the closer to thanksgiving the worse it gets. I've heard the days around thanksgiving are pretty peaked but the first week in december is again one of the best times to visit (like january attendance but less refurbs). The closer to christmas the busier it gets with the week after christmas being peak.

If I wasn't so set on going to WDW next (mid/late sept) I'd plan a first of feb or late sept to DLR. Some of my family booked 7days/nights for $500 each (including meals) to WDW this last year so next time that deal comes up I'm going, and these deals are usually off peak and good times to go, like in sept. DL probably has something like this, so look 3-6 months prior to when you want to visit to find the deals.

mystic_path
11-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Yeah there really never a bad time to go to Disneyland, busy or not, your going to have a good time. Its impossible not to.

50thisyeartoo!
11-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Go Before Thanksgiving...we Were There Yesterday; It Was Nice. Waits Were Not That Long. After Thanksgiving; Good Luck.

Lhk1617
11-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I was just in the park 3 days ago on Friday, it wasnt so busy then it seemed very very slow. On saturday that is a different story it was very busy with long wait times. Do a during the week trip during slow times to maybe reduce crowds. Good luck!

Albertan mom
11-06-2006, 09:53 AM
We went in May '04. It was good. Though like all times of the year, the weekend was really busy. You could see lots of schools there doing field trips etc...

We went Nov 29-Dec 5 last year. It was busier. But we got to see the Candlelight Processional, which was beautiful. The trees in the park were amazing.

We are planning to go sometime between Jan-Mar this year. But like a previous poster posted, I am scared it might be too quiet and boring!! :)

cats mom
11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
We are planning to go sometime between Jan-Mar this year. But like a previous poster posted, I am scared it might be too quiet and boring!! :)

I just got home from a spiritline parent meeting.
United Spirit Association Nationals are March 23-25 at the Anaheim Convention Center, and at least for our school district, spring break is 3/19 - 3/23

If you're looking for company, I bet if come then you'll have plenty of it! ;)

jemilah
11-07-2006, 10:51 AM
We went last mat and are planning to do it again this year the first week ! It is a nice time of year and the parks we not too bad.

stampinshauna
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
We were there March 13-17 a few years ago and it wasn't bad at all. If Easter falls in March, it tends to be more crowded, but next year Easter is in April so the public schools (at least in Utah) have their break in April. The colleges have Spring Break in March, so there are a few more crowds than you'd have in February, but still not too bad.