PDA

View Full Version : Best price for Ipods?

Soupermom
11-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry. I know this topic has been addressed before, but I CANNOT get the search function to work anymore. So frustrating!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm looking for a deal on a new Nano for DD12, and maybe one for DH and I to share. I'm pretty sure I want the Nano model, and not a refurbished one. Has anyone found any good deals online or in a store? TIA!
:wave:

txaggiemomof3
11-01-2006, 12:14 PM
My mom bought us a video iPod for Christmas last year and the best deal we could find was actually through the Apple website (www.applestore.com). They had free shipping and free engraving on all ipods (I believe they have the same offer now). She also got an education discount because my stepdad is a teacher so that helped too.

BTW, I highly recommend the video iPod. It is more expensive but we love ours. I love being able to download tv shows (for me and my kids!) and the image quality is GREAT for such a small screen. It is bigger in size than the Nano but has a lot more features. Just my 2 cents :) HTH!

Soupermom
11-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Ohhh! DH and I are both teachers....how do we go about getting the discount??

MyGoofy26
11-01-2006, 03:02 PM
At the bottom of the www.applestore.com site there's a drop box for other Apple Stores. One of the first couple is US Education.

Princess Nancy
11-01-2006, 03:22 PM
We just bought ours at COstco. Here is why... the cost 142.99, not a big savings but still lunch money. More importantly Costco has a GREAT return policy. No questions asked. I know the Ipods have a one year warranty, but it is a hassel to get them changed out.
Good Luck!

Soupermom
11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
No Costco here in the 'boonies. I went to the Educators store, but no discount on the ipods that I could find. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

sammi6
11-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I got my son a video iPod for Christmas last year and about a month ago it stopped working. It still comes on but it will not download anything and it wiped out everything that we had already downloaded. I bought from apple.com and I have had no luck in getting them to fix it or give me a new one. So for now he doesn't have one. So I would recommond getting from Costco.

MyGoofy26
11-01-2006, 04:11 PM
No Costco here in the 'boonies. I went to the Educators store, but no discount on the ipods that I could find. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I don't think it shows as a discount. . . you'd have to pull up the regular store and compare the price.

Hedy
11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I got my son a video iPod for Christmas last year and about a month ago it stopped working. It still comes on but it will not download anything and it wiped out everything that we had already downloaded. I bought from apple.com and I have had no luck in getting them to fix it or give me a new one. So for now he doesn't have one. So I would recommond getting from Costco.
Ipods come with a 1 year warrantee, unless you've done something to break the warrantee, you should be able to get it fixed. I've had ipods (as well as earbuds) replaced.

Jeanne B
11-01-2006, 04:30 PM

I'm having the same problem. The prices on the ipods in the education store are the same as the regular prices. They always used to be discounted, I've been meaning to call Apple to ask about it. :confused3

txaggiemomof3
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't know why they don't show a discount now? Maybe they aren't offering it on iPods anymore :confused3. I would definately call and ask though. They are still a good deal with the free shipping and engraving. Ours came really quick too!

84disney
11-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I just got off the phone with an apple store rep. I have been looking for the discount for about a month for one of my DDs. Like you guys, the prices showed the same for all ipods on the discount/educator/student page, and the regular shopping page. I have purchased 2 w/ a discount for students in the past year. Tonight the rep said no more student/educator discounts for IPODS....the price has remained the same, and the quality has gone up...that's the new motto :confused3 . I was distressed and said, "The GBs are the same for the nano now as the one I purchased for DS last year for Christmas...what's the upgrade in quality?" He said, "Better screen resolution, longer battery, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!" Really, I would rather have the 20.00 discount, but I guess they feel the product has been improved. DRAG!! I wonder if the ones at COSTCO are similar to the ones I purchased in December and May of 2005-6, or if they are the ones that are of BETTER quality? He said no place would have them cheaper than the 190.00 on their web site. Anyway, I hope this helps. These were exactly the questions I had. I also s[poke to him about refurbished minis....old old ipods. If any of you want that info, just ask. :goodvibes

A Mickeyfan
11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I was in Target about 3 hours ago.. they have the 2 gig for $149 ..... that is about the cheapest I have seen them.. Wal-mart had the 1 gig for $137.... but there is a big difference in the amount of songs it will hold....which matters to the kids....

84disney
11-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Ohhh, I am talking about the 4G nano. My DD wants a pink one, that's why I asked the rep about mini ipods. Minis come in colors. The 2G does not come in color. It's plenty of memory for her, just not PINK :goodvibes !

A Mickeyfan
11-01-2006, 08:01 PM
I just checked on the apple site.. they are the same price as Target.. but.... if you are a teacher/school district employee.. you are a local government employee!! Go under that link for the discount.. it is $140 that way for the 2 gig & $187 for the 4 gig.. by the way, the 1 gig isn't on that site at all. 1 gig will hold 250 songs, 2 gig will hold 500 songs & the 4 gig will hold 1,000 songs....
with the government discount, free shipping & free engraving... you can't beat it.. I just am not comfortable with the return policy??????

Soupermom
11-01-2006, 08:57 PM
I called Apple this afternoon too and heard the same story. No longer giving discounts on IPODS at all. Never thought about going as a gov't employee though! For the poster who wanted color...Apple has a nice set of 5 colored "covers" (together in one package) for the Nano for $29 on the website. That should make your DD happy! I was going to get some...

Soupermom
11-01-2006, 09:21 PM
How exactly do you charge these? Does it come with whatever you may need to charge? :confused3

MyGoofy26
11-01-2006, 10:44 PM
They come with a wire that hooks right into the USB port on your computer to charge. Easy peasy!

And that stinks about the discount. I saved a good bit on mine. Of course prices have come down so my discount price is regular price now so that may be why they discontinued.

A Mickeyfan
11-02-2006, 07:21 AM
We just bought ours at COstco. Here is why... the cost 142.99, not a big savings but still lunch money. More importantly Costco has a GREAT return policy. No questions asked. I know the Ipods have a one year warranty, but it is a hassel to get them changed out.
Good Luck!
What gig is yours?

Skatermom23
11-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Ohhh, I am talking about the 4G nano. My DD wants a pink one, that's why I asked the rep about mini ipods. Minis come in colors. The 2G does not come in color. It's plenty of memory for her, just not PINK :goodvibes !

Costco carries the 4G Nano in pink but NOT BLUE! Guess which one my darling daughter wants??? :rolleyes:

mommic32
11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
I dont know if this will help you or not,,, but I signed up at the apple website as a member? And they sent me a $30.00 off code for purchases of $300.00 or more.... Yes,, I to have to get 2 Ipods,, a Green and a Pink,, so It will help me,,, unless someone can help me find the colored ones cheaper? Anyone?
Also,,, has anyone ordered from Apple and bought the extended warrenty? I hate to spend the extra money on 2 of the warrentys!
Also,,, does anyone know if it is worth it to buy a dock for one of the ipods? I just am wondering can you charge 2 ipods at the same time?
Thanks for any info........

84disney
11-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I was wondering if anyone who purchased at COSTCO could tell us what gigs and battery life. My parents are members at COSTCO, and we are members of SAMS. But, I have heard of no deals at SAMS. I think even if the ipods at COSTCO are not the "better" ipods the rep spoke of, I woould rather save the $. I will prob go to COSTCO with my parents if you guys give a thumbs up :thumbsup2 ....ohhhh are there colored ones there?

Soupermom
11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
How do I register on the Apple website? I can't find anywhere to do that. :confused3

mommic32
11-02-2006, 10:51 AM
How do I register on the Apple website? I can't find anywhere to do that. :confused3

I believe I did it on their web site under store,, I just created an account, which asked for my name and e-mail.. I belive I got the code like 2 days later.. I hope that helps,,, Also,,, I did create the account but haven't yet bought anything from the web site,,, I keep hoping I can find the Nano's cheeper,,,, but it dosent look like that will happen....

Soupermom
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone! I just registered and will wait a few days to see if I get a discount code to use. Maybe I can even combine that with the Gov't discount. I have lots to order! :teeth:

A Mickeyfan
11-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Costco carries the 4G Nano in pink but NOT BLUE! Guess which one my darling daughter wants??? :rolleyes:
So Costco has the 4 gig for $142.99??!!!

drgnfly30
11-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Apple gives my employer a discount (EPP program) The 2gb Nano is $140.00...

sticker231
11-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone who purchased at COSTCO could tell us what gigs and battery life. My parents are members at COSTCO, and we are members of SAMS. But, I have heard of no deals at SAMS. I think even if the ipods at COSTCO are not the "better" ipods the rep spoke of, I woould rather save the $. I will prob go to COSTCO with my parents if you guys give a thumbs up :thumbsup2 ....ohhhh are there colored ones there?

Costco carries the updated version of the IPOD. The 2GB is $142, the 4GB nano is $189. They cme in pink and silver. They also have to higher memory IPOds also, don't recall the prices. You can't beat the return policy!

84disney
11-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Sticker 231, that sounds good, and thanks for the answer. I'm suppossing the 2G does not come in colors, as they do not come in colors at the apple store? It will be great to go with my parents, and then, like you said, have an easy return policy. We have had trouble with older DDs mini that she got several years ago. THANK YOU, AGAIN :goodvibes .

Yensid_MD
11-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Go Here for a refurbished unit. They are a great savings and work wonderfully.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=32DAAC51&nclm=Certified

jjnv
11-03-2006, 02:03 PM
If you like audio books, you can get $100 off any ipod by signing up for 1 year audible.com membership. If you pay up front, you get 12 books for $149. They have a very good selection of books.

twinklebug
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Go Here for a refurbished unit. They are a great savings and work wonderfully.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=32DAAC51&nclm=Certified

I've read reviews that say these look, work and are packaged just like new. They also come with a 1 year Apple warantee!!! Best deal out there IMHO.

musicdude
11-03-2006, 05:04 PM
We puchased a refurbished unit and yes they do come in new packaging and look brand new. They come with a warranty and we have not had any problems. I would go with the mini and not the nano, just from hearing that the nanos break much easier than the minis. The size difference between the two is minimal. They had both with 2gb's for only $99 and the 4gb's for $149. IMHO you really can't beat that.

A Mickeyfan
11-03-2006, 05:38 PM
My DD says that the Nano is better than the mini? :confused3 Her friend had a mini & had nothing but problems.. she eventually gave it away to her younger cousin & got the regular Nano... of which she has since lost.. 2 of them I might add. I feel for her parents.. I do not think she will be getting anymore. If it were my dd, after loosing the first one, there would be no second. Each of them were lost in our local Target store... and no one ever turned them in... :sad2:

bugbugmom
11-03-2006, 06:16 PM
DD12 wanted a ipod for Christmas. So, I ordered her the new ipod shuffle for 79.00. I couldn't believe how small, it is about the size of 2 postage stamps. The sound is so crisp and clear and has an attached clip. DH wanted one so I ordered an additional one.

DISshopkeeper
11-03-2006, 07:39 PM

Check to see if you have an Apple store in your area. We have one in King of Prussia, PA, where they routinely hand you a new one if you are within warrantee.

Princess Nancy
11-03-2006, 08:20 PM
What gig is yours?

2 gig mini, silver, sorry for the lack of info. They have a bunch, but the cost is just under the regular price in most cases.