PDA

View Full Version : How does Southwest Credit Work?

LauraR
11-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi, I'm thinking of booking flights on SW for Feb. with the sale going on today, but wondering if I should hold out for a good Ding. But I've read posts where people have gotten better sale prices for flights they've already booked on SW and received credit. How does that work? If a better fare comes along in a Ding, would I then call the airline and request that fare (or the difference between the booked flight and the Ding fare), or would I book the Ding fare and get credit for the fare I already paid? Thanks for any light you all can shed!

pjlla
11-01-2006, 11:43 AM
I can share one experience. I had to cancel a trip to DW.... I had already booked the flights with SWA. They sent me vouchers for the credit. BUT.... when I went to book another trip, I was unable to use those vouchers for an online ticket purchase. What I had to do was this.... after the new trip I forwarded my ticket confirmations as well as the vouchers to an address in Dallas (I called and asked for the address). Once they saw that I had spent a equal/greater amount than the vouchers, they credited me the voucher amount on my credit card. And promptly I might add. Sounds a bit complicated, but it was well worth the almost $400 I had coming to me! Good luck.....P

ETA: Just realized I didn't thoroughly read your post. I guess I didn't really answer your question.... SORRY!.......P

solgent
11-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of booking flights on SW for Feb. with the sale going on today, but wondering if I should hold out for a good Ding. But I've read posts where people have gotten better sale prices for flights they've already booked on SW and received credit. How does that work? If a better fare comes along in a Ding, would I then call the airline and request that fare (or the difference between the booked flight and the Ding fare), or would I book the Ding fare and get credit for the fare I already paid? Thanks for any light you all can shed!

Here's how it worked (for me):

Step 1) You call them and they cancel "Reservation A" for you.

Step 2) You then book at the new price (Reservation B) and there is a place in the payment screen where you can put in the Reservation A "code number" and it uses the credited amount towards Reservation B.

Step 3) Since the whole reason you did this is because Reservation B costs less than Reservation A, you will still have a credit remaining. At some point in the future, you book another SWA flight (Reservation C) and again use the Reservation A code number. Repeat this step until Reservation A credit is all used up.

Important points to note:
1) I have heard that after using Reservation B, people have been able to get the remaining Reservation A credit back onto their credit cards by calling SWA. I was making Reservation C before too long so didn't bother trying this.

2) There is a period of time in which you can get the credit, either by booking a new reservation or possibly getting a refund on your credit card, or you will lose it. Again, I had Reservation C coming up, so didn't have to worry about this.

3) You will notice that between steps 1 and 2, you DO NOT have a reservation. You must be ready to book Reservation B immediately upon cancelling Reservation A. I had my computer all set up ready to click the button as soon as SWA representative told me that she had cancelled Reservation A. There is a chance that, having cancelled Reservation A, Reservation B will no longer be available, and you could end up paying more than you were for Reservation A. But if you move quickly, the chances are that you will be successful.

patsal
11-01-2006, 12:50 PM
I go to change itenerary on the website. Enter my flight confirmation, cancel my flight and rebook the same flight. It shows how mcuh credit I have, then I send a letter to Southwest requsting that they credit my credit card account for the difference. As far as Ding goes--I think, but I am not certain that you need to do this via the phone. Some people have mentioned being charged a $25. fee for this so be sure the flight price is significant enough to warrant the change--example if the $54.88 that is being charged now for the flight my Mother paid 109.00 for gets a further reduction with a Ding for $39 I doubt it would be worth it for us to change it if there is a $25 fee as my time is worth something.

Before you cancel anything, though, put in everything in a different window to be sure they have what you want so you dont' cancel a flight and end up with nothing.

LauraR
11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Solgent, for your explanation. That helps a lot. Thanks for your feedback, too, Pjlla. The more I know about how SW does things, the better. :)

tmt martins
11-01-2006, 02:26 PM
As I have 4 credits going right now I can shed some light on the subject.

1- Book your trips but book One-ways only ( this will give you 1 confirm number for each direction).Explain in Note A at bottom.

2- If a sale price comes up and you booked on-line you go to Travel center and make changes. This is also if you are just making any changes to dates or times as well. NO FEES for this. The credit you recieve is called a TTV ticketless travel voucher.( Note B )

3- If a Sale comes up and you booked by Phone you have to call and make the changes just as above with all else.

4- If a Ding comes up you have to cancel your original flight and apply your TTV to the Ding .The cancel part can be done over the phone or on-line . BUt the Ding can ONLY be booked on-line. I use 2 different browsers as it's easier and faster to do both.

A-Book one ways because if a Ding comes up you have to cancel that Ressie the entire Ressie.One direction might be cheaper but the other may now be higher.So with the One ways you can just cancel that leg of the flight.

B-TTV is good for 1 year from date booked not date traveled.You can call and sometimes get it back on your CC but that is not always the case unless you booked a Full refundable ticket.The 1 year can also be extended in some cases . To do this call 1-214-792-4223 not the regular CS number.

Also I have never been charged a fee for cancel or not even showing up for flights with SW you just get the TTV.I fly 4 to 6 times a year with them and have to make changes all the times.Because of this I have never had to call and get a refund to CC as I always have a trip planned.I book as soon as I know my dates and they open up and make adjustments down the road.

LauraR
11-01-2006, 02:51 PM

1- Book your trips but book One-ways only ( this will give you 1 confirm number for each direction).Explain in Note A at bottom.

2- If a sale price comes up and you booked on-line you go to Travel center and make changes. This is also if you are just making any changes to dates or times as well. NO FEES for this. The credit you recieve is called a TTV ticketless travel voucher.( Note B )

3- If a Sale comes up and you booked by Phone you have to call and make the changes just as above with all else.

4- If a Ding comes up you have to cancel your original flight and apply your TTV to the Ding .The cancel part can be done over the phone or on-line . BUt the Ding can ONLY be booked on-line. I use 2 different browsers as it's easier and faster to do both.

A-Book one ways because if a Ding comes up you have to cancel that Ressie the entire Ressie.One direction might be cheaper but the other may now be higher.So with the One ways you can just cancel that leg of the flight.

B-TTV is good for 1 year from date booked not date traveled.You can call and sometimes get it back on your CC but that is not always the case unless you booked a Full refundable ticket.The 1 year can also be extended in some cases . To do this call 1-214-792-4223 not the regular CS number.

Also I have never been charged a fee for cancel or not even showing up for flights with SW you just get the TTV.I fly 4 to 6 times a year with them and have to make changes all the times.Because of this I have never had to call and get a refund to CC as I always have a trip planned.I book as soon as I know my dates and they open up and make adjustments down the road.

Wow, thanks for the great tips! That's very helpful.

SplshMtn99
11-01-2006, 02:54 PM

:thumbsup2 Perfect. Now THAT is a post worth printing & keeping with trip info. :thumbsup2

tmt martins
11-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks

Thats what i get for just sitting around all day with nothing to do as we just got back last night.

LauraR I'm down your way all the time for Work. SW always has great deals out of BWI this last trip ended up at $112 RT and our DEC trip is at $137 right now.Plus so many direct choices each day.

brettb
11-01-2006, 04:07 PM
A few comments on requesting refunds:

1) I have never faced a $25 fee.
2) Prior to our last trip at the end of September, I have called right after rebooking at a lower fare and received a refund to my CC. However, I'd usually get told that my original fare was non-refundable, yada, yada, yada and then I'd explain that my itinerary hadn't changed - same passangers, same dates, same flights. About half the time, they'd submit a refund request. The other half, the first person I spoke to would repeat the non-refundable spiel. Upon calling back a few minutes later, the next person would submit the request. I don't think I ever had to call back more than once.
3) For our latest trip, 2 or 3 calls before the trip actually took place were unsuccessful. However, I called after we had completed the trip (about a week or so) and the first person I spoke to submitted a refund request.

The credit from the last trip had me really nervous! With that flight, we earned our first Rapid Rewards award and we're unlikely to fly before that credit would have expired.....

Anyway, this is one of the many reasons I LUV SWA.

LauraR
11-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks tmt martins! I went ahead and booked our Feb. tickets, feeling more confident after reading your explanation that I know what to do if a better Ding comes along. But even if it doesn't go any lower, I'll be happy with the $548 for 4, RT, I just got (and N/S sure is great). I do love SW's flexibility---too bad more airlines aren't like them!

That's great that you'll be heading on another trip so soon!