PDA

View Full Version : Package? Buy tickets separate? HELP!

disneyfanfamily
11-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Hopefully this is the correct board to post this on....

We are going to WDW next year - probably the week of July 4th...I know, I know...but it is probably the only time because of DH vacation. That is the only time we have ever been there, so we know what to expect. Slight chance we can go in August for the possibly free dining that they may or may not have...but not looking good

Here is my question. I have the money to purchase tickets now. My understanding is that they will go up in January. Should I buy then now for me, DH, and my 3 children (2 are Disney adults, 9 & 11)? Will I lose out on any savings or deals if I do not use a package. I know if the free dining is an option, I would have to buy a 1 day pass for everyone in our party...Will this affect anything if I go through AAA? HELP!!!

We went through AAA and Travelocity before for our Disney needs. Never have done things separately. So any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Angela

aka-mad4themouse
11-01-2006, 09:04 AM
It's basically a gamble. You can either gamble that Disney will offer some sort of discount for your dates or you can buy your tickets now before the increase and gamble that there won't be any discounts for your vacation. There is no definite answer.

For the past two years, there have been no package discount codes for the months of June & July. Whether this will continue remains to be seen. If I were planning a July vacation, I would not count on there being any codes for the general public during that timeframe.

If it were me, I'd be planning to do my vacation la carte. The only way that I would do a package for July would be if I absolutely wanted the DDP (which I doubt will be offered for free during July). It will be cheaper to do all the parts separately.

AAA discounts can be obtained for both room-only and vacation packages. The discount will be based on the resort type and the season that you will be staying. For packages, only the room portion of the package is discounted. If you book a room-only, there are several advantages.
You retain control of the reservation, since you are the one who makes it, not a TA.
You only need to put a deposit equal to one night's stay down. For a package, the deposit is $200.
Final payment on a package is due 45 days prior to the start of your vacation. A room-only ressie does not need to be paid in full until you arrive at the front desk to check in.
The cancellation policy for a package provides for penalties if you cancel inside of the 45-day mark. You can cancel a room-only ressie with no penalty up to 5 days prior to your arrival.
You can purchase discounted tickets from a ticketbroker for less than the advance-sale price that Disney offers.

Yes, there's always the possibility that Disney will offer some sort of package discount in July. There's a chance that free dining will be offered again in August and you would be able to go then. If you purchase your tickets now, you would not be able to take advantage of a package discount later unless you bank the passes for a later visit. One thing that you may want to note about the free dining packages. The one that is currently being offered to UK and Ireland residents for the summer of 2007 requires a minimum 5-day stay and the minimum purchase of a 5-day base ticket for each member of the party. If Disney does offer the free dining to US residents next summer, I would not be surprised if they make the same requirements.

I hope this helped a little. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

disneyfanfamily
11-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks Lisa. :thumbsup2 That info helped. I really doubt that there will be ANY discount codes for June or July (we would be leaving June 26, coming home July 6 ). We will not know for sure about possibly going in August until December, maybe January. By that time, the ticket rates will have gone up. I would love to be on the dining plan - but on if it is free because we do not eat in very many sit down places and 3 of us are very light eaters (can share meals easily). So the ONLY reason for going in August would be the free dining that they may not even offer. My understanding is that the crowds in August this year, because of the free dining, was not much better than the week of July 4th, so crowd level is not even a deciding factor. Decisions...decisions....It does not help that I am a very poor decision maker :rolleyes: WHAT TO DO!!!!