PDA

View Full Version : Best stores for deals

mjantz
10-31-2006, 08:51 PM
This is slightly different than 'Best Discount Stores'. I'm talking about retail stores whose sales a/o clearance racks/shelves/etc., are really, really good.

One of my favorites which is a mostly Southern chain is Mardel. They sell Christian items (CDs to t-shirts to Bibles) & teacher supples. At their retail prices I find them a bit overpriced. However, their clearance nooks are awesome! I bought my DS a tie-dyed t-shirt that says 'Jesus Freak' & my MIL a 4th of July cross (don't ask!) both for 90% off. I've bought nice teacher supplies for my kids teachers for 75% off or more. Every time I go in there, I spend less than $20 & walk out with bags of stuff.

Another favorite is Kohls. I don't go in there very often but every time I do I walk out with some steals. Last time I had a coupon that took an extra 20% off anything you bought. Between that & clearance prices, I cleaned up!

So, share with me!!

Muushka
11-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I agree about the Kohl's. Going there today in fact!

My favorite place for bargains is Sams Club. They have 2 areas in the store I visit that has shelves with clearance stuff. In addition, throughout the store they have many markdowns. Yesterday I was there and saw a tree saw (extension type of thing) that I almost bought for $35.99 last week, this week it was $24.81. The .81 is the clue! That means it is on clearance. After Christmas I get some great deals there. Funny, but I don't usually see too many bargains at BJ's?

kfeuer
11-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Muushka, I agree about Sam's Club. I walk up and down every aisle scanning for items ending in .01 everytime I go in there.

My favorite department stores for clearance are Dillard's and Parisian. When Dillard's has an extra 50% off their clearance prices you can find amazing deals (particularly on things that are already 75% off). Parisian will do 70% and occasionally 90% off the last markdown, too. Occasionally Macy's will have some good markdowns, but you have to hit it at just the right time (and since they're constantly running "sales" it's easy to miss the truly good ones).

I guess they're technically outlets, but I love Talbot's Outlet and Nordstrom Rack, too.

My goal it to get our clothes at least 75% off retail (but 80-90% is the sweet spot).

ogreenlee
11-01-2006, 10:44 AM
I think that Kohl's typically is a rip-off. Sure, their clearances are ok, but they're always having 50% off this or that, and everything in the store has a sales tag on it. They never sell anything for regular price, and that's because their regular prices are outrageous. The sweaters that they have for 50% off shouldn't be $45 to begin with.

They have huge mark-ups and then say they're having a sale. It's a discount department store for crying out loud, and their "original" prices are higher than you would find at Macy's. I mean... who falls for this?

There's a children's chain of clothes (small chain) called Chocolate Soup. They always have their clothes at 70% off, but I see some of the same clothes at other stores listed for the 70% off price as their original. I've stopped going in there b/c they seem to think that I'm the idiot.

Hedy
11-01-2006, 10:52 AM
I think that Kohl's typically is a rip-off. Sure, their clearances are ok, but they're always having 50% off this or that, and everything in the store has a sales tag on it. They never sell anything for regular price, and that's because their regular prices are outrageous. The sweaters that they have for 50% off shouldn't be $45 to begin with.

They have huge mark-ups and then say they're having a sale. It's a discount department store for crying out loud, and their "original" prices are higher than you would find at Macy's. I mean... who falls for this?

There's a children's chain of clothes (small chain) called Chocolate Soup. They always have their clothes at 70% off, but I see some of the same clothes at other stores listed for the 70% off price as their original. I've stopped going in there b/c they seem to think that I'm the idiot.
I've always been underwhelmed by Kohls, except maybe for socks. I'd rather get last season's Nine West shoes at Marshalls/TJ's for the same price I could get "Nine and Co." shoes at Kohls.

ogreenlee
11-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm addicted to Marshall's/TJMaxx!

JessNJ
11-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Aeropostale is one of my favorites for deals. Usually in the back they have a clearance rack, and I have found some sweatshirts for under $3.00. It's totally hit or miss, but every time I go to the mall I look at their clearance section.

mercydisney
11-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I love to shop at Beall's. I always get great deals. Esspecialy when they have their 50% off clearence sale. Target is another favorite, and going on the budget boards to see what stores are having a sale. :surfweb:

I agree w/ogreenlee Kohl's is a rip off. They just opened one by us and I went in to see what all the excitement was about. Very disapointed :crazy: :confused3, I think their quality stinks. I love their fashion and very trendy store, I just think their mark up is pretty high. That's why their able to discount the items that were not sold at regular price. I would rather pay a little extra for merchandise that will last me longer.

xbatman
11-01-2006, 06:54 PM

I don't think Kohl's is a rip-off. It's just like everywhere else - you have to know your prices. I'm a very happy Kohl's shopper, but I would never pay full price and not usually 50% off unless I have an additional coupon.

However, getting clearance Osh Kosh, Carter's, etc. cheaper than Walmart clearance is good enough for me. I also love Old Navy clearance for DD.