PDA

View Full Version : Who has the Mickey Waffle Maker?

blessedby3
10-31-2006, 12:00 PM
I was just wondering who has this and if you are worried because it says in the ads for it that it has some cancer causing agent in it. How could they sell it if that is the case? I have always wanted to get one, but couldnt figure it out and I think it says its in CA. :confused3

leslieh
10-31-2006, 04:14 PM
i have had one for 4 years, dont use it allot, no problem here, unless we can blame DHs prostrate caner on the waffe maker? I dont think disney would put their name on it. Tuesday Mornings will have them for sale on election day.

robinb
10-31-2006, 04:19 PM
That's because the waffle maker is coated with Teflon.
http://www.cancer.ca/ccs/internet/standard/0,3182,3225_1295614293_1295614320_langId-en,00.html

dis-happy
10-31-2006, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, it's the silly state of CA. They passed a law a few years ago that anything that might remotely cause cancer be labelled as such. It's way overboard.

crl
11-01-2006, 06:13 AM
We have the Then and Now Mickey Waffle Maker and we love it.

snowwite
11-01-2006, 06:16 AM
We have had one for several years butr what I need is the recipe for Mickey's batter. We got some at williams sonoma that was c,lose but not the same. I have other Teflon pans and a George Forman grill w/Teflon too. So many things cause cancer I cant worry about it all or I would need to become a bubble girl.

patsal
11-01-2006, 06:21 AM
I believe, in additon to the teflon, anythign with a cord that plugs into an outlet has that warning on it as well. Something about one of the kinds of wire used to conduct electricity being connected to or suspected of causing cancer. Anyone remember when the light up disney houses were available on disneyshopping and there was a disclaimer about cancer and the state of CA with those as well?

robinb
11-01-2006, 07:08 AM
I believe that the "CA" stands for CANADA and not CALIFORNIA.

MinnieMe2
11-01-2006, 08:19 AM
I work for a state college in Massachusetts. We aren't allowed to purchase any furnishings unless they meet the California fire code, even though we can get things like computer chairs for less than half the price of stuff that meets the California fire code. The standing joke is, if the building catches on fire, we'll be fine as long as we sit our chairs :teeth: !

dcfromva
11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I believe that the "CA" stands for CANADA and not CALIFORNIA.

I think this is actually referring to California Proposition 65.

From the State of CA's website: Proposition 65 in Plain Language! (http://www.oehha.org/prop65/background/p65plain.html)

Another perspective:California's "Prop 65" ... You Need To Know About It (http://www.manufacturing.net/article/CA6370604.html)

I don't know what to make of all the warnings. I have noticed there are an abundance of scary warnings on commonplace items in CA. It is difficult to figure out the true risk when just about everything has some sort of warning. I remember seeing a warning on a door to the utilities room at a hotel where we were staying and one would have thought there was a nuclear power plant behind the door.

I'm not saying there is no true risk, but it seems like things with negligible risk is grouped in with high risk when the standard is this:
"For a chemical that causes cancer, the "no significant risk level" is defined as the level of exposure that would result in not more than one excess case of cancer in 100,000 individuals exposed to the chemical over a 70-year lifetime. In other words, a person exposed to the chemical at the "no significant risk level" for 70 years would not have more than a "one in 100,000" chance of developing cancer as a result of that exposure.

For chemicals that are listed as causing birth defects or reproductive harm, the "no observable effect level" is determined by identifying the level of exposure that has been shown to not pose any harm to humans or laboratory animals. Proposition 65 then requires this "no observable effect level" to be divided by 1,000 in order to provide an ample margin of safety. Businesses subject to Proposition 65 are required to provide a warning if they cause exposures to chemicals listed as causing birth defects or reproductive harm that exceed 1/1000th of the "no observable effect level."

-DC :earsboy:

blessedby3
11-01-2006, 10:20 AM
:thumbsup2 Thanks for the posts. Guess I wont worry about the waffle maker anymore. I love Mickey Waffles :thumbsup2

mickeyluv'r
11-01-2006, 10:33 AM
We have one...I think the real danger of Teflon comes if it gets scratched. If it does, then particles can come off in your food. In that case, it's not healthy. Anyone with scratched Teflon frypans should throw them away. There is far less risk of that happening with the wafflemaker - just don't use a knife or fork to remove the waffles. If you can't use your fingers, use a plastic or wooden utensil.

The one thing I would say about ours is that the waffles aren't particularly crispy. There are two things I have found to help fix this:

1. Keep the waffles warm in a slow oven - as the waffles finish cooking, put them in the oven. Everyone can eat a warm crisp waffle together, instead of a limp waffle one at a time.

2. Cook them longer.

3. This is the best of all - instead of regular pancake mix - use corn muffin mix (or a mix of regular and corn) for the batter. These are really great, especially with real maple syrup! (the only way to eat waffles!)

GIGI&MIMI
11-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I think it has to do with plastics. If the waffle maker has a plastic exterior it falls under the CA law. They had the same warning on the Cinderella car at Disney shopping last Christmas. It freaked me out at first, but it's just a technicality.

Livin'4Disney
11-01-2006, 12:04 PM
There is a thread in the Camping Forum that is called Do you LOVE Mickey Waffles???
It list a website to order the official waffle batter they use to make them at Disney or at least at the Trails End Buffet in FW. Just search for mickey waffles trails end and it will be the only one to pop up.

I will be at Tuesday Mornings on 11/7 bright an early to purchase one for our family :)

grlpwrd
11-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Well, there are people like me who don't believe in using Teflon because it has been officially labeled a "likely carcinogen" by the EPA even if DuPont says otherwise.

I am also the type who does not use plastic containers or wrap in the microwave and otherwise because of the danger of seeping chemicals (such as phthalates and bisphenol- A (BPA) ) into your food. In fact, I got rid of most plasticware in my kitchen and use only safe,chemical-free kitchenware.

I learned this from reading different sources and from the wonderful people at www.mothering.com who believe in attachment parenting and healthy living. It is a health issue and I do take it seriously.

snowwite
11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
There is a thread in the Camping Forum that is called Do you LOVE Mickey Waffles???
It list a website to order the official waffle batter they use to make them at Disney or at least at the Trails End Buffet in FW. Just search for mickey waffles trails end and it will be the only one to pop up.

I will be at Tuesday Mornings on 11/7 bright an early to purchase one for our family :)
Thanks for the tip :thumbsup2
I think I will risk it and use my wafflemaker. :rolleyes:

PrincessMom98
11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a Mickey waffler, can anyone give me more info on the one Tuesday Morning will have onsale? Is it the 4 at a time?
Thanks!

Livin'4Disney
11-02-2006, 04:44 AM
In the picture on the ad flyer it looks like a two count waffle maker. They also have a pooh/tigger imprint waffle maker and toasters with Cinderella and Mickey imprints. The mickey waffle maker is not an imprint one. It is the actual head shape.