PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining frequent flier miles

chuckcorden
10-31-2006, 06:51 AM
Now that I am a DVC member (as of last week) I would like to make my trips to WDW as inexpensive as possible. I am trying to focus on frequent flyer miles. I don't fly much: just to WDW or, in the past, to Las Vegas. So while I might get some FF miles, it probably won't be many.

Does anyone have experience with using a credit card that gives you frequent flyer miles for every dollar you spend? I'm thinking, in particular, of the American Express Skymiles program that I saw on the Delta web site. My wife and I have one credit card and we have been very pleased to have just that one. Would it be worth it to get the AE card just to get the FF miles? Or is there another way of accumulating these miles? :confused3

Thanks.

Chuck pirate:

dcfromva
10-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Now that I am a DVC member (as of last week) I would like to make my trips to WDW as inexpensive as possible. I am trying to focus on frequent flyer miles. I don't fly much: just to WDW or, in the past, to Las Vegas. So while I might get some FF miles, it probably won't be many.

Does anyone have experience with using a credit card that gives you frequent flyer miles for every dollar you spend? I'm thinking, in particular, of the American Express Skymiles program that I saw on the Delta web site. My wife and I have one credit card and we have been very pleased to have just that one. Would it be worth it to get the AE card just to get the FF miles? Or is there another way of accumulating these miles? :confused3

Thanks.

Chuck pirate:
chuck,
I'm not sure which airport is your home base and which airlines fly into your home airport as this would have a bearing in your decision, too. Is Southwest a possiblity? On their card they give you 1 credit for every 1,200 spent,. It takes 16 to fly roundtrip. So, after $19,200 (plus annual fee), you receive 1 RT. You get double credit on Southwest Airline purchases.
Their rapid reward program has been very good when redeeming the award tickets, too.

-DC :earsboy:

keishashadow
10-31-2006, 07:07 AM
We fly AirTran or SW for low fares from PIT. AT doesn't use "miles" but, a credit basis.

We signed up for a "signature" visa card (no pre-set spending limit), no annual fee, etc. thru Juniper Bank. AT has a very liberal policy of garning free flights, 8 credits and you're entitled to a 1 way tix. Each flight segment = 1 credit & each $1000 on the card = 1 credit too.

They even had a promo @ Wendy's w/drink cup coupons that you could turn into free flights (we were able to snag RTs for everyone w/an AT reward # in our family)...hope they bring a similar deal back soon.

Quick & painless for us, have been able to redeem rather easily.

good luck.

Chicago526
10-31-2006, 08:06 AM
If you don't want to be loyal to any one airline, you may want to look at a card that you can use miles/points towards any airline. Both American Express and Capitol One have such cards. Otherwise, you should go with the airline card that you'll travel on most. Be sure to look at their schedules, is there a carrier that offers non-stop flights? Is there an airline that seems to have more flight options than another?

I have a United Mileage Plus card, so I earn miles on United. They have the most non-stop flights for the places I travel to most (Orlando, Las Vegas, Phoenix, LA/Anaheim, and Harrisburg PA) so they are the right choice for the way I travel. Look up the flight schedule for the top 4 or 5 cities you travel to (even if it's just once every couple of years) and see who seems to have the best flights.

NancyIL
10-31-2006, 08:51 AM
I like the Starwood Preferred Guest AMEX, because the points you earn (1 per dollar charged) can be transferred to quite a few airlines - most on a 1:1 basis. You can also use the points for free nights at Starwood hotels: Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, W, etc.

https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=6/15439/b/58/3043277043/304081231260/0/n

calypso*a*go-go
10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
I have the SkyMiles card and really like it. Amex always has specials running throughout the year where you get double miles (sometimes triple). I usually alternate and get one for me, then when it's time to renew and pay the annual fee, I'll get one for DH and cancel mine. I know that's not supposed to be to great for your credit score, but it hasn't hurt us in anyway. It's amazing how fast the miles add up. Also, before you commit, do realize that it is sometimes very difficult to find frequent flyer seats at the 25k level...you really have to plan as far in advance as possible and be flexible on what days/times you can fly (especially when trying to book more than one seat).

Tinkaroo
10-31-2006, 10:03 AM
I also vote for an AmEx - depending on the airlines servicing your area, Membership Rewards is awesome. I've transferred my points for a number of free tickets on Southwest, Hawaiian, and Continental. The only major airline that doesn't participate is American. (I know Delta participates.)

If you fly a particular airline a lot, I would also check out the rewards section of their website, and see the various ways you can earn miles for their FF program. Many of the major carriers let you earn miles from restaurant visits, hotel stays - even regular retail purchases, such as Home Depot, your local grocery store, etc. So, you might be able to get double the points (use a card that garners you the rewards to pay for the merchandise, but also make your purchases through their website for the extra mileage bonuses).

Good luck! :goodvibes

chuckcorden
10-31-2006, 12:30 PM
chuck,
I'm not sure which airport is your home base and which airlines fly into your home airport as this would have a bearing in your decision, too. Is Southwest a possiblity? On their card they give you 1 credit for every 1,200 spent,. It takes 16 to fly roundtrip. So, after $19,200 (plus annual fee), you receive 1 RT. You get double credit on Southwest Airline purchases.
Their rapid reward program has been very good when redeeming the award tickets, too.

-DC :earsboy:

I normally fly out of Bradley International (BDL), north of Hartford, CT. As the name "International" indicates, a whole slew of airlines use this airport. Most of the time I use Delta because it flies to MCO several times a day. I'm not that familiar with Southwest but I think a flight or two leaves BDL daily.

Thanks for the info.

Chuck pirate:

M 'n C
10-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Definetly check out AMEX green rewards (just the regular reward program). I think to get a ticket on an airline you need about 1.5 points to get one mile. I think it takes ~25,000 points to get 1 ticket. but you can get other things with the rewards if you didn't want an airline ticket so its worth it to me in that sense.