View Full Version : OT: Quick advice PLEASE! Harborside Villas at Atlantis - UPDATED

10-30-2006, 04:34 PM
I posted this over on the DVC boards but was getting no advice so I'm gonna do it here again on the budget boards because I'm sure you all will give me sound advice!

Here goes:

O'kay, DH has a co-worker who owns there and has a trip booked for 11/11-11/15/06 but can't make it. He says that it is a one bedroom. He has very graciously offerred the unit to DH (because he knows that DH has a travel crazy wife) for $200 total which I assume to be at his base maintenance costs, if not below.

We have a trip to TX planned for Xmas to my in-laws. I have a trip to VWL planned over Prez Week with just our 2 girls because DH doesn't have the vacation days. We are ALL going on an 11 day cruise in April over Easter Break. AND I have a "just in case" reservation at BWV for late August.

DH doesn't have the vacation days. Although, he has the option of taking unpaid days, IF NECESSARY. He says he has some deadlines to meet - not sure how much willl be completed by 11/10/06. So, taking Mon-Wed off is iffy.

We will not be taking the kids (School) so will have to leave them with my parents who are currently in Miami until 11/8/06.

I, myself, have a lot of work in the office. But, hey, am always up for another trip!!! But my boss (family) may not be as happy about me taking off especially since my folks get the kids too.

The airfare would be $245/rt pp. So, 4 nights for the 2 of us would cost us $ approx. $700 NOT including food. Which I think is a GREAT deal for HV at Atlantis, except that my vacation budget has been blown a long time ago. Lol! (Although we CAN afford it) It will be "tough" for both of us to get away.

What would you do in MY situation? I would like to let DH's co-worker know yay or nay ASAP. I'm sure his cancelling is last minute and I don't know what the cancellation policy for his timeshare is but I'm sure he needs time to offer it to someone esle if he gets penalized for cancelling directly.

10-30-2006, 09:35 PM
We just returned a little over a week ago and I would save the vacation days and pass on the Atlantis. We cruised there and got a very nice room next door at the comfort suites (for FAR less, I might add), giving us full privies at the Atlantis. It was very crowded and very spread out. Too much hiking from one side to the other and the cost of food and drink is terribly expensive. Save your vacation time and enjoy your Easter cruise intead. You're not missing anything! The kids had more fun than we did there. The "straw market" was horrible.

NOT Atlantis bashing...just saying if it came to having to chose, I'd pick DISNEY EVERY time!!! ::MickeyMo

10-30-2006, 09:49 PM
We stopped by the Atlantis when we were in port in Nassau. It is awesome. Paradise Island is beautiful, clean, (not like Nassau.) I agree about the cost of food and drinks- we had lunch at a bar/grille at ATlantis and it was really high- like $400 for burgers, club sandwiches and drinks (some had beer, some had soda) for 7 of us.
Not saying go or don't go- just saying- Atlantis is a killer place.

10-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Sounds like a inexpensive last minute trip but I'd also consider the cost of food and extra's. We went for the day since we were on the DCL but I saw some of the menu's and price tags and they were steep. I guess if you can also manage that piece of the trip than go for it. But if you do decide to pass, you have other trips lined up to look forward to so it's not like you won't be going anywhere for a while. Either way, good luck with your decision. :sunny:

10-31-2006, 07:18 AM
based on what you have posted..I would not go. The trip could be hard on you and DH(and your jobs). The trip will be stretching your finances at a time when the Holidays are coming and there are always unexpected expenses. It is not like you are planning on going, so noone should be disappointed.

I would rather you plan a trip that is a more convient time for everyone and you can go and relax(even though it will not be for $200). I wish you the best in your decision. :grouphug:

10-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies and input folks!

We have declined his generous offer.

While we CAN afford it, while it is a good deal at a great place, while we both CAN get off if we have to, it just didn't feel right.

DH could probably finish his jobs. But he HATES last minute stuff. He paces himself according to his current work load with leeway for last minute jobs to make sure that he has plenty of time to finish all his projects. If the trip was a few weeks away, he would be all over it and adjust his schedule. But he doesn't want to disturb the "rhythm" he's got going at such short notice.

Me, I would have loved to go with DH but since he's not enthused, then no biggie. I'm actually MORE excited about planning my upcoming WDW trip without DH since I finally manage to snag sale airfare and it's a definite go! :lmao: Only fellow disney addicts can understand!!! Lol!!! :dance3:

10-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Disney Time!!! :cool1:
I think you made the right choice!! :grouphug: