PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Laptop Sale - Compaq Presario V5305WM Laptop For $398

TENIA66
10-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Walmart Laptop Sale - Compaq Presario V5305WM Laptop For $398 (http://www.blackfriday.info/ads/walmart-black-friday-ad.html)

The Walmart laptop sale is starting early this year. Starting November 5th, Walmart will be having the Compaq Presario V5305WM Laptop on sale for $398. The technical specs are:

* 2.00 GHz Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor 3300+
* 512MB 333MHz DDR (upgradable to 2GB)
* ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP (128MB)
* 60GB 5400RPM Hard-Drive
* 24X DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
* 15.4” WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display
* Integrated 56k modem, 100mb Network Card and 54g 802.11b/g Wireless Connectivity
* 1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (Not PCMCIA)
* 10.2-inch (L) x 14.1-inch (W) x 1.38-inch (min H) /1.77-inch (max H)
* 6.4 lbs

There will be a minimum of 15 per store with a limit of 1 per customer. This is only good from November 5th to November 11th at Wal-Mart.

MemoryMakers2669
10-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Anyone know if this is a good computer or is it a you get what you pay for type thing? I would love one, especially now that I am wireless, but don't want to pay too much for one. I am not familier with the Processor.

grlzmom
10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
I am also interested, but dont understand the "wireless connectivity" part.

Does that mean built in wireless card? If someone has time to explain, I would be extremely grateful!!!!!

TENIA66
10-29-2006, 07:26 PM
It means that the wireless technology is integrated, wireless card in it.

it's good for browsing, light work, and picture editing.

bamamom
10-29-2006, 07:28 PM
I would like to know as well....I need one for school really bad. Was going to go with Dell since that is what my hubby gets discount on through work and that is what our desktops are....if this is a good computer for the price then I would much rather save some dough :thumbsup2

Davidsmommy
10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
100mb Network Card and 54g 802.11b/g Wireless Connectivity

Hi grlzmom.

I am no expert (on anything lol), but yes, the above specs means it has a built in wireless card.

Everything else on the specs looks pretty decent for a less than $400 laptop, honestly. I run a very busy e-commerce business with a home network consisting of several laptops and 2 desktops, and those stats are not terrible for the price.

Personally, I would upgrade the ram to 2 GB immediately, but that wouldn't put it over the price of a Dell/Gateway with similar specs (I think - didn't price it, but it shouldn't)...512 Ram isn't terrible - I just want the fastest I can get.

For those who aren't totally familiar with computers (and, again, I am NOT an expert - this is my understanding of everything) -

Ram is memory. It helps with speed of your computer. Everything I have read (and experienced) is that the more, the better. I am a ram hog.

Your hard drive size is the "storage" your computer will have. 60 GB is plenty for most home users, even picture people. One of my desktops has a 40 GB harddrive. I have thousands of pictures (pictures are one of the largest things you will deal with - a word document is small. Excel documents are larger) saved, and am nowhere near my capacity.

That system doesn't have a dvd rw, which many people want (I have one and have never used it.)

Honestly, it seems like a good basic system. Not something you would want to use for screaming graphics for heavy gaming, but for basic home use, it should be sufficient.

Disclaimer - I am not a techie geek. I am sure somoene will come along and tell me I don't know what I am talking about. That may well be true. This is my firsthand experience, based on about 10 hours of computer use a day. For several years. But, I am not a techie...just a user.

Davidsmommy
10-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Here is a similar value Dell System:

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380 (1.60GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)

Operating System - Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
- Unless I missed it, the walmart system doesn't say what OS (if any) it has loaded - something to consider, since it could be a couple hundred to add one if it doesn't have it.

14.1in WXGA Display (Walmart system has larger screen)

512MB DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimm

60GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

Dell 1370 Internal Wireless Card (802.11b/g, 54Mbps)

No software, etc.

Looks like that system would price out at $529.

Remember the Dell display is a little smaller, but I am guessing the Intel processer is a little better (not sure though).

2angelsinheaven
10-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I would assume the Walmart ones comes with Windows XP, it's pretty standard. You could always add a portable DVD-RW drive for not a whole lot. We bought a HP laptop last year and spent $800 on ours for similar specs (but with a DVD-RW) so this seems like a great deal.

grlzmom
10-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Thanks for all the info.

I am looking for laptops for the two teen dds for Christmas. They dont do any gaming, mainly a little internet and homework, and of course, picture stuff with their cameras.

Dont want to spend too much since I need two :goodvibes

NewEnglandDisney
10-30-2006, 06:20 AM
That looks like an excellent deal, out of the box. Sure, a RAM upgrade would be nice, or a DVD burner, but that's a great price for a laptop like that. Even the graphics card is decent - it won't do cutting edge stuff, but would play most games reasonably well.

I'd pick one up myself if it had a DVD burner and a PCMCIA slot. The PCMCIA slot would be useless to 99% of you (I just use some legacy devices), but as long as you can go without DVD burning it's a great system. And, if you really want to add one later, you can get an external one for $60-80 on sale that connects via USB to any PC.

Grlzmom - I would think these would be perfect for what you are looking for, especially if you need two.

You've just got to keep in mind who's going to use it - unless you are going to be doing heavy video editing (i.e. everyday) or playing the newest-of-new games, these system specs are going to satisfy any Internet/music/homework use.

If I wasn't going to WDW in a few weeks I do think I would be picking one up myself for my living room - I'm using a 10-year old laptop in there (just upgraded it to 144MB of RAM lol) just for the internet, and while it's servicable, for four hundred bucks I'd replace it.

NED

hsmamato2
10-30-2006, 12:14 PM
This is a really good deal- I don't think Compaq is top of the line,but for 398? Dell prices can't get close, b/c I was looking the other day... this is a notebook!
I actually just orderd a Compaq refurb off ebay the other day for around $200, it has less 'power' than this one( I needed it for some really basic internet and work),but for this price, I may get the walmart one too, that's 2 laptops for $600? I like them numbers!!!
This way- when one inevitably dies, I'll still have one that works-
I personally hate my HP we got a few years ago, nothing but trouble,time and money!

bamamom
10-30-2006, 05:02 PM
So these are coming out before black friday? Wonder if there will be another laptop for black friday? :confused3

tinan
10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't automatically assume that these come with Windows XP. If I recall correctly, I remember seeing something somewhere that WalMart was selling computers either a) without operating systems or b) selling them with Linux software on them. Linux is just another, but free, operating system. My husband loves that and with all the viruses, bugs, etc. wants to switch all of us over to Linux. Since I am resistant to change in general and somewhat of a control freak, of course, I am reluctant to change. The latest versions are looking more and more like Windows, but some programs I use can't be used on Linux, yet. When they can, they I will be more willing to change.

By the way, $400 for this laptop is a decent price and my techno-geek dh would say it is ok for an upgrade here, but he too would add more memory as he is also a memory hog. For that matter, XP is a memory hog in and of itself. We have a Compaq laptop that came with 128 megs of ram with Windows XP and it was near impossible to work on it until we upgraded the memory.

Davidsmommy
10-30-2006, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't automatically assume that these come with Windows XP. If I recall correctly, I remember seeing something somewhere that WalMart was selling computers either a) without operating systems or b) selling them with Linux software on them. Linux is just another, but free, operating system. My husband loves that and with all the viruses, bugs, etc. wants to switch all of us over to Linux. Since I am resistant to change in general and somewhat of a control freak, of course, I am reluctant to change. The latest versions are looking more and more like Windows, but some programs I use can't be used on Linux, yet. When they can, they I will be more willing to change.

I agree, and my dh practically had a heart attack the other day when I very casually said, out of the blue, "Maybe we should consider macs in the future....."

He was like, "Who kidnapped my wife and brainwashed her with the mac mantra?" LOL!

I am considering it though....the main thing that is holding me back is the software I would need for my business.....

grlzmom
10-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Wow, all these replies are great.

I guess I am going to attempt to purchase a couple of them if we can find them this weekend.

I wonder if Walmart has them in stock and out now or if they are waiting til the 5th to put them out? I will have to drag dh out with me since its a one per customer thing and I need two.

Corwin12
10-31-2006, 06:08 AM
The AMD Sempron Processors and Intel Celeron Processors are the slowest, cheapest processors on the market today. They will be sluggish beyond any basic computing ... i.e. word processing or email or internet. I just priced out a Compaq on HP's website. Under the academic purchase program, you could get a laptop with all the same specs except a Turion processor for 889.98. There is 150.00 in instant savings plus 180.00 in mail in rebates to bring the price down to 511.38. And this includes a color inkjet printer.

Mskanga
10-31-2006, 06:58 AM
I personally would never buy a Compaq , by the way I have always bought my desktops and laptop from dell outlet and I have been very happy with them for both reasons , quality and price.
BTW my laptop has an intel celeron processor and it's not slow at all.

MemoryMakers2669
10-31-2006, 08:30 AM
I personally would never buy a Compaq , by the way I have always bought my desktops and laptop from dell outlet and I have been very happy with them for both reasons , quality and price.
BTW my laptop has an intel celeron processor and it's not slow at all.

My experience is just the opposite. Both Compaq we have had were awesome and lasted for years. The one problem we ever had with the one, they sent someone to our house to fix it..free. The Dell, HATE it, it has been nothing but problems with it and calling them is a nightmare, they are no help at all.

nuke
10-31-2006, 09:41 AM
I have a Dell at home with a Celeron processor and its slower than my old windows 98-7 year old computers at work with Pentiums inside. Any computer I buy from now on will not have a celeron. It literally takes over a minute to open any program. In fact I'm so frustrated with my home computer that I'm considering Apples.

ignatz1
11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I have a Compaq laptop...love it... have a Hp desk top love it... had a Dell...hated it.. had a lemon i guess couldn;t get thru to anyone at
dell that could help me and it never quite right, bought the Dell because of the price but quickly went to Compaq.

A Mickeyfan
11-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I was doing a search on this computer to see if I can find anything out about it.. here is a link to C-Net.. and what posts they have about the computer itself
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7587_7-0.html?forumID=69&messageID=2299973&threadID=215456
maybe for the price Wal-mart is going to have it will not be a bad deal, but other than that, doesn't sound too great... :confused3

chardi
11-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I bought mine this morning and I'm very happy with my purchase.

lts862
11-05-2006, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't automatically assume that these come with Windows XP.

Actually, DH got one this morning and it comes with XP media edition. (Whatever that means). :confused3

My DH is a techno geek, too and said for the kids', (elementary and pre-schooler) this computer is a decent price. This laptop will be in addition to our desk top and another laptop.

Diabolicdesire
11-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I would wait to find one with a pentium or centrino mobile processor. I bought an Acer laptop with comp specs, except with a centrino processor a few months ago from Circuit City. I love it! The price was 399.00 after 1 mail in rebate for 150.00. :cool1:

tjschatter
11-05-2006, 02:33 PM
I just bought one of these last night. It does come with Windows XP. They released them at 12:01 am and they were sold out in 5 minutes. I went to 7 Wal-Marts and finally found one at 2:00 am in the morning. I hope you can still find one.

MemoryMakers2669
11-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I went to mine around noon (had no choice) just to see. I really had decided not to go with it anyway. The lady said they were sold out first thing this morning. People started lining up at 5am. Not sure what time they opened.

All this being said, Office Depot has this same computer on sale. You order it, in the store. It is actually cheaper, comes with a printer too. And you can upgrade it when you order it. I priced it out with the upgraded memory (512) and it was $359 shipped.

A Mickeyfan
11-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I went to mine around noon (had no choice) just to see. I really had decided not to go with it anyway. The lady said they were sold out first thing this morning. People started lining up at 5am. Not sure what time they opened.

All this being said, Office Depot has this same computer on sale. You order it, in the store. It is actually cheaper, comes with a printer too. And you can upgrade it when you order it. I priced it out with the upgraded memory (512) and it was $359 shipped.
I saw this ad today. I already went to walmart & got theirs.. now while your's does come to $359 shipped, how much did you have to lay out? I know that is with rebates? When getting three of them, the rebate part stinks.. I don't want to put out that much cash.. then wait 2 months for it back :confused3 If it was only one, I would do it, but got 3 in Walmart.. one for me & one for each of my dd's... also at the $359 price what hard drive did you get? I thought is was $299 for the 256mb & 40gb.. to upgrade the memory was $50, then to upgrade the harddrive was $65?? At least that is what I thought I read???? I figured it to come to $14 more but with a printer.

grlzmom
11-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I saw this ad today. I already went to walmart & got theirs.. now while your's does come to $359 shipped, how much did you have to lay out? I know that is with rebates? When getting three of them, the rebate part stinks.. I don't want to put out that much cash.. then wait 2 months for it back :confused3 If it was only one, I would do it, but got 3 in Walmart.. one for me & one for each of my dd's... also at the $359 price what hard drive did you get? I thought is was $299 for the 256mb & 40gb.. to upgrade the memory was $50, then to upgrade the harddrive was $65?? At least that is what I thought I read???? I figured it to come to $14 more but with a printer.

I looked at this option too, and also figured it would cost me more in the end (of course getting the printer though, which I didnt want) even after the rebates as the need to upgrade the harddrive, etc.

I have had very back luck with office depot rebates with my last one for a shredder taking over four months to come back so I didnt want to get involved with multiple rebates as we also needed three and that would have been alot of money floating around.

My friend has already gotten her dds walmart lappy fired up and running and thinks its great for the price. She is a techie so if I have any problems, she will be happy to help me. And, they cant be any worse than my dell which has been AWFUL and I will never purchase another one.

If there are better deals between now and Christmas, Walmarts return policy is great if your item is unopened and with receipt.

Happy holiday shopping to all :Pinkbounc

Tinkerbelle32
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I would steer clear of any computer/laptop with a celeron proccessor. I was told by several computer junkie friends(two who work at Best Buy) that celerons are being phased out. That's why everyone(Wal-Mart, Office Depot, etc.) is putting the price so low. They are actually selling them at close to cost. But they would rather get some money out of them rather then nothing. A new program called Windows Vista is coming out to replace Windows XP. Celeron proccessors are not compatible, hence Windows Vista is not an option. So, if you use any computer programs I would move up to a Duo core. I actually just bought a Toshiba Duo Core for $599 on sale at Best Buy, also came with a rebate for free Vist software. I hate to be the negative vibe here, but I would hate for people's computer to be obsolete in the next six months when they just purchased them. Tink