PDA

View Full Version : Presents for the Mailman???

GOOFY4DONALD
10-29-2006, 09:13 AM
I would like to give something to my mailman this Christmas. He has gone well out of his way to help when it was needed and I want to give him something. Now I know that you can't give them anything that could be considered monetairy (sp?) No gift cards or anything like that but what can you give them?
Thanks in advance.
goofy4donald

mickeyfan2
10-29-2006, 09:15 AM
We always put a $20 bill into a card that is put into the mailbox. It is always taken and a thank you is always left in our mailbox.

GOOFY4DONALD
10-29-2006, 09:16 AM
We always put a $20 bill into a card that is put into the mailbox. It is always taken and a thank you is always left in our mailbox.
I was wanting to to that but I heard that they can't take money.

summerrluvv
10-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Chocolates or a nice tin of the gourmet cookies they sell at Sam's/Costco, etc. I picked up a couple of the tins at Sam's that will make nice gifts for aftercare teachers, etc. I don't gift my mailman because I never have the same one and honestly they do a horrible job. I'm always getting other people's mail.

summerrluvv
10-29-2006, 09:18 AM
I was wanting to to that but I heard that they can't take money.

They aren't supposed to accept monetary gifts, as they are Federal employees, and I suspect if they got caught, they would be fired.

GOOFY4DONALD
10-29-2006, 09:24 AM
They aren't supposed to accept monetary gifts, as they are Federal employees, and I suspect if they got caught, they would be fired.
Let me ask this... I live on a rural route. My mailman works for a company contracted by the USPS. Do the same rules apply?

RED23
10-29-2006, 09:28 AM
My Dad was a mail carrier for over 40 years and he always received monetary gifts. It came in very handy for Chrismas shopping. We always give our mail carrier around $20 -$25 and always receive a thank you card. If you don't feel comfortable leaving money my dad would also get packaged candy, cookies, even bottles of liquor. Whatever you decide, I'm sure that he wil appreciate it.

Red

patsal
10-29-2006, 09:54 AM
When I had a regular mailman I would always get him a giftcard and a nice card thanking him for his hard work--giftcards are nto casha nd areok--I follow the same rule when working with government employees as I did with those who are in a religious order--they are not supposed to accept money and if they do it has to be given to the church, a giftcard though they can keep. I have not had the same mail carrier for greater than two weeks in a row over teh past two years. I wouldn't know who was gettign the gift so for this year and until I get a "permanant Mail carrier" I'm just going to skip it this year.

Mom2micayla
10-29-2006, 10:04 AM
We've never given a mail carrier a gift, but I'd think a giftcard would be fine. Perhaps you can contact his office and ask? I wouldn't mention his name of course.

As to the candy route.. keep in mind that lot of people are diabetic and won't be able to eat it. And alot of people are on low carb diets. I think I'd avoid candy if you can.

MissyDVC
10-29-2006, 10:07 AM
We love our mail carrier and have always given him $20 and a box of candy. I figure if he doesn't want the candy, he can give it to his wife. He goes above and beyond for us and always thanks us for our "generousity" :)

Kycha
10-29-2006, 10:36 AM
The law states that a mail carrier cannot accept monetary tips or gifts valued over $20.

Shere_Khan
10-29-2006, 10:43 AM
I wonder if you know him/her well enough and want to give a gift, maybe you could ask for his address and mail him a card. That wouldn't be giving the mailman a gift, it would be giving a friend a gift. That could work right?

mickeyfan2
10-29-2006, 12:21 PM
The law states that a mail carrier cannot accept monetary tips or gifts valued over $20.
I knew about the limit that is why we give what we do.

Bearvet
10-29-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm lucky - I have A Mail Lady!! I usually give her Yankee Candle, Bath & Body, etc. I always get a nice note from her, so I think she likes it.

Pea-n-Me
10-29-2006, 12:51 PM
We give $20 and a card. He seems to appreciate it. :)

Kycha
10-29-2006, 01:27 PM
I knew about the limit that is why we give what we do.

I'm sorry, but my response was not addressed to you. It was addressed to everyone else who said that monetary gifts are not allowed, when a quick google search(which is what I did) will give you the correct information.

fabshelly
10-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Kycha, who's the cute guy in your avatar?

We give Emma, our regular mailperson, 20.00. We give James, the "Emma's Day Off" mailperson, 10.00.

A Mickeyfan
10-29-2006, 01:39 PM
My mail carrier was transfered to another route last month :sad1:
Her & I always talked when she had to bring up a (Disney) package to the door. She is a big Disney fan too. When I found out she was leaving, I happened to have gotten my order from the online catalog delived. I had ordered a Mickey & Minnie salt & pepper shaker.. so I wrapped them up, placed them in the mailbox (yes, I know illegal) with a card on it addressed to her.. She loved it...
I miss her already...

tinan
10-29-2006, 01:45 PM
We usually give our mailman a gift certificate to a local restaurant I know he likes. We have a mailslot so our mail comes directly into our house so I just try to catch him when he is delivering and give him a card with the gift card. He is always very thankful.

Kycha
10-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Kycha, who's the cute guy in your avatar?

:happytv: That is Hiro Nakamura. He is a character from the NBC series "Heroes".

I just realized I hit my 1000th post. Yeah me!

Love the Mouse
10-29-2006, 02:15 PM
My father was a letter carrier for over thirty years and he always received gifts...money, candy, bottles of liquor. He was always appreciative of the gifts he received.

Just keep in mind, that some letter carriers also share what they get with the letter carrier who takes over his/her route when they have days off or on vacation.

My father always gave something to his "fill in" guy. But, if you have a good letter carrier, I would definitely give a gift...we always try to show our appreication to our carrier.

Michaela http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/17858boo-thumb.gif

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/mkyla2871/resizefordisboards.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/mkyla2871/AlisonandMinnie2.jpg http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/mkyla2871/AlisonandMickey.jpg

gillenkl
10-29-2006, 03:00 PM
My DH is a mail carrier and they are allowed to accept gifts - he also shares his gifts with another carrier who does his route when he's off. Any non-packaged food items, he throws away due to the fact that it's from strangers and he doesn't know anything about their hygiene, illnesses, germs, etc.....

LoriNSC
10-29-2006, 03:12 PM
We always buy ours a nice box of chocolates or gourmet cookies and a card. He always mails us a personal thank you note. We don't know our mailman well but we've seen him & his family while eating out.

ogreenlee
10-29-2006, 09:27 PM
I didn't give a gift to my mail carrier the first year we lived here. Then the second year I gave her a small photo album that I got off of a TJMaxx clearance rack along with a handful of other last minute gift type things, with 20 bucks inside the album box. Last year I gave her a $20 gift card to Target. She LOVED that.

The poor woman... as many times as she has to walk up to my porch to drop off the mail... she definitely deserves something.

Disneymaniacs
10-29-2006, 09:58 PM
I was at Sam's last night. They had many different gift baskets of Ghiradelli and Godiva chocolates. Many were $14.99, $19.99 all the way up to $79.00. We picked up some of the $14.99 ones for the mail carrier, hairdresser, Sunday school teachers.

snowy76
10-29-2006, 10:24 PM
:happytv: That is Hiro Nakamura. He is a character from the NBC series "Heroes".

I just realized I hit my 1000th post. Yeah me!
Hiro rules! I love "Heroes" (as you can see from my siggy).

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

maggiew
10-29-2006, 10:26 PM
We give our letter carrier $20 in a card.

My dad was a letter carrier all of his life. I remember him bringing home loads of things. Mostly the things were tinned cookies, chocolates, bottles of wine, bottles of liquor, fruit baskets, etc. We had them stacked up all over the house!! I never saw the money though, hmmm, wonder why???? :)

I also give money to the paper delivery person and the garbage men.

Maggie

souper
12-20-2006, 10:21 PM
We do money. It always fits...and doesn't melt in the mail box. Our letter carrier has never had a problem with it.

tinkerbellmagic
12-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Hi, Here is another recent helpful thread on gifts for the letter carrier:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1300033

And here is a thread about how the PO saved a DISer $900 recently in an Ebay fraud scam:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1302685

tink

shamrock30
12-21-2006, 12:36 AM
We also do the $20 in a Christmas card. Our mailman is super nice. He goes out of his way to get to know everyone on his route.

graygables
12-21-2006, 01:22 AM
I used to give our mail carrier homemade hot cocoa mix and he would bring the jar back for refills! I miss him...

Our new mail carrier refused to take the cocoa mix, probably because he thought I was trying to poison him for all the times he's screwed up our mail. He gets a big ol' nuthin' from us anymore, besides, he usually has a sub running his route and I got tired of her lazy behind getting the McD's gift certificates. I want a GOOD mail carrier again!!!

lovindonald
12-21-2006, 07:17 AM
My Ex is a mailman. Yes, the rule states that they are not supposed to take monetary gifts but they all do and they would not fire them for it. Most of the carriers drop their "gifts" at their cars on their way back into the office. Nobody has ever said anything to the carriers in my ex's office. The management knows this happens and doesn't really care. I leave my carrier $25-$30 in a card and he always accepts it.

As for myself, a newspaper carrier who works 365 days a year, the best thing for me is cash since I am a single mom who struggles to make ends meet. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but we don't need another box of cookies, candy or anything else.

claudia
12-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Actually the law is that postal employees may not accept cash in any amount or form, including bills, checks or money orders from an outside source.
That being said, I always give my carrier $40, and she always leaves me a thank you card in the box.

Disneynutbsv
12-21-2006, 08:09 AM
I always give a gift card to Dunkin' Donuts...

wdwfan1
12-21-2006, 11:10 AM
My son in law works at the post office. He gets mostly money & gift cards. My mailman was very happy with his $$$$$ (as was the UPS man, the garbage men and the newpaper delivery man).