PDA

View Full Version : OT: Front load washers and HE detergent

Lorikr65
10-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Had to get a new washer machine today. My old Whirlpool (14 years) stopped spinning and I have been eyeballing the front loaders anyway!! We got the Whirlpool Duet. I know you have to use the high efficiency (HE) detergent with it - Tide makes one, because of the concentrate I guess. Does anyone know if I can use up what I have (Tide Coldwater) and how much less you are suppose to use. Or, should I just give it away and go get the new stuff!!

Thanks - Lori

dawnball
10-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I just used up what I had, but used very little. The stuff I have now is He/regular, and I still have to use less than the He directions tell me to or I have soap suds at the end.

Passions71203
10-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I have the Whirlpool Duets (My dad works at Whirlpool) and we use HE Det.
I normally use Tide but they do have other brands out on the market.
I don't know if you should use anything else :confused3 :confused3
Sorry I can't answer your question.

MrsPete
10-28-2006, 05:25 PM
When I got my HE machine, I gave away the little bit of leftover "regular" detergent that I had. It might not really hurt the machine, but I wasn't willing to risk my $1400 washer/dryer set for $2 of detergent!

I bought a GIANT bucket of HE detergent from Sears for $20 back in April, and I'm still using that same bucket. Because you use so little, it lasts forever.

TMTIP
10-28-2006, 05:49 PM
We have the Duet also, don't use regular detergent! My husband accidently used the old regular Tide and it took almost two hours of wash time to clear the machine of soap suds! I bet he'll never make that mistake again!

rocky41102
10-28-2006, 06:27 PM
You can use regular detergent if you have to, but it can damage the machine. If you do use it, only use about 1/4 of what you would normally use in a regular washer. Regular detergent suds way too much and something about it can damage the machine-cause leaks and things like that. I've used regular detergent in ours before, but only here and there and only when I had to have something washed immediately and didn't have HE stuff.
Also, most brands of detergent make an HE type now.

mickeyfan2
10-28-2006, 06:55 PM
I would give it away.

Hedy
10-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Supposedly, HE detergent is watered down regular stuff (and available in some generics in addition to tide). However, having seen a washer break bc of too much detergent, I'd vote that watered down detergent is cheaper than a washer.

stm61
10-28-2006, 07:06 PM
that's funny, I bought a front loader a few wks ago. I should have sat down with the papers that came with it, but I just haven't had the time. Lowe's installed it and showed me how to work it. They never said anything about using a special detergent. One of the guys that installed it told me he bought the same one, how much his wife liked it, and how he'd built a platform for it so she didn't have to bend down so far. Not knowing any better, Ive been finishing up the detergent I already had. I've never had a problem with suds in the washer! Maybe it's the brand I used? Can't remember what it is, but it's not name-brand. Something like Sunlight? I did buy a bottle of the Tide HE, which is the only HE I've seen in any of the stores here, just to see if there's a difference, but I haven't opened it yet.

surfgirl
10-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't use it. Probably safe ~ if you reduce the amount, but is it really worth it ?

I use HE Wisk. I prefer it over Tide. I get almost any possible stain out of clothes just with a regular wash cycle (I have small kids, so we have lots of things spilled down the front !).

good luck! Once you've gone front load, you'll never go back!

jackskellingtonsgirl
10-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Read your owner's manual to see what it says about HE detergent.

The Bosch front loading machines can use regular but you reduce the amount. The Bosch machine also can not use chlorine bleach, so there may be other things you need to know about your new washer besides just the HE detergent. We use Tide HE and a bleach pen or spray Shout for stains.

canwegosoon
10-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I use tide HE, but just got a bottle of Method HE, and All HE...I want to try all of them out.

DisneyFanTN
10-28-2006, 09:30 PM
I have had a front loader for six years and have had no problems using regular detergent (i.e. cheer or tide). I started out a dedicated HE detergent user but as the years have gone by, I went back to the regular detergent. I always use a reduced amount. Good idea to check the owners manual, some front loaders may be more sensitive than others. pooh:

Lorikr65
10-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'll just exchange the bottle I have for an HE one.

With all the "stars" posting on these threads I'm a little insulted Oprah or Paula Abdul or Ty, etc. hasn't come to join this one!!

piglet33
10-29-2006, 07:50 AM
I have had a front loader for six years and have had no problems using regular detergent (i.e. cheer or tide). I started out a dedicated HE detergent user but as the years have gone by, I went back to the regular detergent. I always use a reduced amount. Good idea to check the owners manual, some front loaders may be more sensitive than others. pooh:

I have an LG front loader and have always used regular Tide (I juse use less) and never had any problems with excess suds. Maybe it does depend on the brand of the machine and it's sensitivity. :confused3

Banana magic
10-29-2006, 10:01 AM
I have the Whirlpool duet. I use only HE. I even had a problem with the Costco brand detergent that said it could be used with HE washers. It made too many suds. I use Tide HE now. You can get the huge one at Costco in the HE, or I sometimes just buy the regular size if its on sale.

Hygiene99
10-29-2006, 10:13 AM

We also Started on HE
but have gone to regular tide reduced amount!
6 years not a peep out of it!
:teeth:

Anne34
10-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I just got a LG front loader and it has a sticker on the drawer you pull out for the detergent that says to use HG. I use All free and clear HE. I find it at Meijer with the regular detergent.

tinan
10-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Ok I don't have one of these HE washers yet, but have had the opportunity to use one and loved it!!! When my washer breaks, I will then get one of these HE washers. We had the opportunity to use it in the children's hospital that my daughter was going to for chemo treatments. When they were installed we were told over and over again that we could use regular detergent, but we should only use about 1/4 - no more than 1/2 of what you would normally use. I used this amount and it worked out wonderfully. With the hospital installing so many new ones on that floor, I wouldn't think they would have allowed us to use regular detergent if they were going to ruin the machines. The families on those floors rely on those machines as many are there for weeks or even months at a time.

petrymom
10-29-2006, 02:01 PM

I am with you. I have had my front loader for two years. Use less regular detergent. I am not totally sold on the HE detergent.

lost*in*cyberspace
10-29-2006, 02:15 PM
You should ONLY use HE detergent with a front loader; I use Tide HE.

Tinkmom
10-29-2006, 03:10 PM
At any rate, it has been several. When I bought it, HE detergent was very hard to find, and when you could find it, it was Tide. I have to use no fragrance, hypoallergenic detergents, and don't particularly care for Tide anyway. I have nearly always used regular detergent, but about 1/4 as much as before. No problems whatsoever from my washer.

I LOVE the front loader. Our clothes seem cleaner and are definitely softer than with any washer I have ever had. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of film/residue was left on our clothes all of those years. Yuck.

lastminutemom
10-29-2006, 04:13 PM
This is avery timely discussion for me. I have to use detergents with no scent, etc (free) because of two of my children's skin conditions. At first, I found ALL Free and Clear for HE and then it was gone. Now I went to Target today and they didn't have the Tide FREE for HE. This is killing me. If I can't find it tomorrow, I guess I will just try the old stuff and use less.

thanks.

Mouse House Mama
10-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I have a Kemore HE3 and I use regular detergent. I cannot use Tide as it is too harsh and my kids have sensitive skin. I have had this washer for a few years and have had no problems. princess:

gottaluvdis
10-29-2006, 04:34 PM
This is avery timely discussion for me. I have to use detergents with no scent, etc (free) because of two of my children's skin conditions. At first, I found ALL Free and Clear for HE and then it was gone. Now I went to Target today and they didn't have the Tide FREE for HE. This is killing me. If I can't find it tomorrow, I guess I will just try the old stuff and use less.

thanks.

I've had a front loader for 2 years and use ALL free and clear small and mighty (small bottle) - non-He. I fill up the cap maybe 1/2 way and it's been fine. You can use the regular ALL free and clear (don't need He). I currently have Wisk small and mighty He because I had a coupon, but will go back to the ALL after it's done because I don't like the scent and color in the Wisk. I've always used a non-He detergent (up until this bottle of Wisk) and have never had any problems. I have the Kenmore Elite He3 set.

canwegosoon
10-29-2006, 05:34 PM

thanks.
There is some All F/C at my local market, and I think Method also has one...you can find that at Target.

welovedis
10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Every manufacturer has different specs, but ours said you could use either. I use regular and just use 1/2-1/3 of the normal amount. We'd have our current household set for over 6 years with no issues at all.

Robinrs
10-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Wow, this is just on time for me. I just bought a Whirlpool Front Load machine yesterday and it will be installed tomorrow. I have the book and saw the info on HE and had NEVER heard of it before! I took a stroll down the laundry aisle today in my neighborhood Kroger and was surprised at the MANY choices!

I purchased a small generic bottle to try out. I'll see how it works!

joha
10-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi,
Congrats on your new washer (maybe one day...), BJ's also has HE detergent (Berkley and Jensen) 200 onz for 9.99. I don't have a high efficiency washer, but bought the detergent by mistake, but it turn out ok, give it a try.

:)

jrnunzio3
10-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone know if you can use the OxyActive (All) powder stain remover in a front loading washing machine? I used to use this in my other washer just to whiten the whites, but don't know if or how to use it in a front loader. I read the instruction manual and there is nothing in there about this. I don't even know what compartment it would go into. Any help will be appreciated as I have two tubs of this downstairs collecting dust.

Jenny

tiggerluver12
10-30-2006, 07:22 AM
I've had my Whirlpool Duet for over 4 years now and have NEVER used HE detergent. HE is a marketing tool to get you people to buy regular watered down detergent at a higher price. Its the same stuff JUST watered down. I use All and only use 1/2 the amount required in a regular machine. My machine is just fine.

mousefanmichelle
10-30-2006, 08:07 AM
I have had my front loader (Kenmore) for 5 years now and I don't use HE detergent. I use regular Wisk and everything is just fine. We did just spend $140 bucks repairing it tho. The dials that use turn to select a cycle broke and it wouldn't complete the last cycle therefore leaving the load full of water. Hopefully it is fixed now - hubby did it on Saturday and all seems fine. I do love that it leaves your clothes with much less water therefore making drying time less! My clothes also seen cleaner with it!

shamrock30
10-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I have a Maytag Neptune, and was part of the class action lawsuit over the mold issues. I haven't had mechanical problems with it though, and I've always used regular detergent, just less of it. I've had it for almost 6 years.

dwmagic
10-30-2006, 01:19 PM
I also have they Maytag Neptune set and have had them for about 4.5 years. I have always used regular detergent, just use half. At first, I would accidentally use the full amount of detergent, but never noticed suds in the washer or clothes. I haven't had a single issue using non HE detergent.

Lorikr65
10-30-2006, 08:28 PM
I had a full bottle of Tide Coldwater and brought it to the market and they let me trade it for an HE. Although, like one person said, "it seems to be detergent that is watered down." In fact, the woman that sold the machine to me said it just had to do with concentrate.

Anyway, I'm wondering if maybe I overloaded it. I use to put a pull basket in my old washer - full to the top. I put a little over that in the new machine and all the clothes were wrapped around each other, tangled and it took me just as long to dry (although there were more clothes). They didn't seem to be exceptinally rung out when they came out of the washer - no more than with my other washer.

Any suggestions??!!

Lorikr65
11-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Okay, so I've had my washer machine (Whirlpool Duet) for almost a week. I am just surprised that, (a) it takes 1 hr. to wash laundry and my old machine took 35 minutes; (b) it takes just as long to dry clothes in my dryer (same dryer); (c) clothes are more wrinkled. I've been putting the same amount of clothes I put in my old washer. The new washer is 3.8 which is pretty big.

I didn't know if I was doing anything wrong (although how can you mess up doing a load of laundry!). I use regular cycle with cold/hot and high spin.

Thanks - Lori

Passions71203
11-04-2006, 08:22 PM
"Okay, so I've had my washer machine (Whirlpool Duet) for almost a week. I am just surprised that, (a) it takes 1 hr. to wash laundry and my old machine took 35 minutes; (b) it takes just as long to dry clothes in my dryer (same dryer); (c) clothes are more wrinkled. I've been putting the same amount of clothes I put in my old washer. The new washer is 3.8 which is pretty big.

I didn't know if I was doing anything wrong (although how can you mess up doing a load of laundry!). I use regular cycle with cold/hot and high spin.

Thanks - Lori
10-30-2006 09:28 PM"

I think it has to do with whatever cycle you are using. Our regular cycle doesn't take that long ..... :confused3
Sorry that you haven't had much luck with it

cobbler
11-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I also have a Maytag Neptune. I don't remember reading anything about using HE detergent. I guess I will have to take a closer look at the owners manual. I have been using regular detergent and not a reduced amount either - I have been using powder. And I don't recall seeing anything with excess suds either.

Glad I came across this thread as my washer is only about 3 weeks old.