PDA

View Full Version : Million Dreams observations....

krismom
10-09-2006, 12:01 PM
We just got back from 6 nights at DisneyLand and had a wonderful time! I wanted to comment on the million dreams promotion- basically, I wish I hadn't known about it prior to going. I saw people everywhere with those "dream fastpasses" around their necks and kept thinking- how'd they get those?! I was happy for others- but kept hoping and waiting fo rour "turn", which never came. I saw lots of "dream" pins, lanyards, hats, and those illustrious fastpasses- we also saw many CM's with their "million dreams" messenger bags all over the park. I guess the marketing concept is a good one for disney since it doesn't really cost them anything- but I didn't like the feeling that I wasn't in the right place at the right time all week! I guess my Cinderella step-sister envy was showing!
Good Luck to everyone else!

PrincessSophie'sMom
10-09-2006, 12:07 PM
The families that will never be able to afford to even GO to Disney are probably pretty envious of YOU! Hope it didn't put a damper on your trip. That would be a shame.

SamIAm21
10-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds like the green eyed Monster got the best of you. I hope you had a magical time anyway. :wizard:

Vickie46
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from.. it drives my husband crazy everytime I go running in the other room and saying.. you won't believe this.. or guess what this family got... he says he just don't want me to get my feelings hurt when we might not get picked.. I said.. you know... I will pray for a dream... and ask God.. for one.. and if someone else needs it more than me.. than that is the way it should be... I wished we all could get a dream...

but in reality.. its a dream just to be going!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

disneyfansmandl
10-09-2006, 12:58 PM
We also try not to think about other people winning and not us but we are only human. We are leaving in 5 days and plan to have a Magical trip whether we get YOAMD stuff or not.

SnwflkCts
10-09-2006, 01:05 PM
It is hard not to be envious. I am going to try not to be envious too. I rarely win anything no matter how mundane the prize is ... so only trying to expect a fun time! :sunny:

FantasmicDreams
10-09-2006, 02:16 PM
You know, on my last trip I was upgraded for free from a standard room to a concierge room at Boardwalk. So even if I don't get anything this time, I keep saying....could a FP really top being in the concierge for a week? Nah. Nothing will top that. That was my dream, just a little early. ;)

disgoer
10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
We just returned and the safari in front of us got stopped at the unloading area and everyone on that particular safari got dream passes for the day. But it was really no big deal because there were no real lines for anything. For example, Everest had a 20 minute line at shortly after noon.

Tink-n-Belle
10-09-2006, 03:09 PM
I love hearing everything people are winning. ITS GREAT!! Our chance of winning is just as good as their chance of winning. So if I don't win a dream fast pass-- That will make me all the more excited when I win theCruise :rotfl2:

Its just great knowing that lots of people are being sprinkled everyday with Pixie dust. Just being their with my family will be enough for me!!! :love:

njchris
10-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Maybe some of it is the green-eyed monster, but when I read about people getting 3 or more of these dreams during their stay (and even multiple ones in one day!), and I come back having been there at the same time only having experienced frowns on MANY CMs faces, it makes me feel a bit sad. I guess i would have liked SOMETHING...... It sort of makes me feel left out of what was going on all around me.

DisneyFan06
10-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I am going in 19 days! :cool1: Anyways, I think it is awesome for Disney to do such a promotion. I am not going to Disney just for the chance at winning a new set of Mickey Ears; however, if I did it would be nice. Although I do understand what you are saying but I will have a good time no matter what. I believe even seeing someone with the ears of the pins or any of the such would put a smile to my face because I would be watching someones dream come true.

Plantlady
10-09-2006, 04:22 PM
I would be the same way.. always wanting what was just out of my reach.

We are planning on going to Disneyland in July of 2008. Perhaps it's good that we're not going during this promotion, so I wouldnt' constantly be trying to find the guy that is giving out the DVC membership.

Corwin12
10-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Just being in Disney World for 10 days with the one and only woman I will ever be in love with is all the dream come true I'll ever need. :love:

kaybird
10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
This is where I sometimes think these boards (no flames please) can hinder a vacation. We all love hearing about magical things that happen, (for instance at Whispering Canyon) then if the same thing that happened to Mary Doe doesn't happen to Jane Doe, they are disapointed. I have truly been afraid of this since they announced the Million Dreams. We have a great trip every time, appreciate any special magic moments, and try not to compare our experiences to others.

BTW-this is not to say I won't be screaming and jumping up and down if we do get something special, just trying to remain focused on making our own trip the best! :banana:

MonkeyPants
10-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I can totally understand the feelings of the OP. I also think not knowing about the promotion would be cooler

DisneyFan06
10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
I can totally understand the feelings of the OP. I also think not knowing about the promotion would be cooler

I agree. But lets think for a second. The majority people visiting the parks do not know about the promotion, which makes it that much better. We, being Disney geeks or freaks as you say, already know.

budcollector
10-09-2006, 04:58 PM
well the way i'm looking at it is, i'm gonna be there for christmas and since
christmas is the time for giving, Disney can give me one of the BIG Dreams Gifts :smokin:

DisneyFan06
10-09-2006, 05:01 PM
All I would suggest to you is just dont go expecting gifts.

bjakmom
10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm excited just to think there will be more 'happy' (those who've won a dream) people in the parks every day - that would be the answer to my dream - a day in the parks where everyone else is in as good a mood as I am :thumbsup2 (big dream, I know! ;) ) :smooth:

njchris
10-09-2006, 09:57 PM
All I would suggest to you is just dont go expecting gifts.

That's true.. but I also expected the CMs to be extra happy, smiling, nice, etc.... I found the opposite. One CM was complaining about her hours at a stand, another took my ice cream order and didn't even look at me, even when taking my money and giving my receipt back. I said thank you and got nothing back.

Maybe if they were nicer, I wouldn't feel this way as much.

JustKryssi
10-09-2006, 10:16 PM
I would be more than happy to never win anything if it meant that some little kid got it instead.

My pixie dust comes from the fact that I have enough resources to visit from NJ once a month.

Tinkerbellmom33
10-09-2006, 10:26 PM
It would be awesome to win, but just being there is enough. This trip is my Bday gift and I definitely wasn't expecting it, so I've already got my dream! :goodvibes Good luck to everyone! pixiedust:

CindyBella
10-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I understand how that might be frustrating.

I feel very lucky to go as often as we do. That is enough for me. MY DS9 was asking about the dream fast pass. I could tell he had a "I have GOT to get that" look in his eye. I told him we do not really need it. I told him I would rather someone who planned a "once in a lifetime" trip and saved for years get it over us. I reminded him that there are a lot of kids at WDW whose parents just can't buy them things. Tickets into the park are enough for them. If they recieved a wish over us I would be thrilled!

SamIAm21
10-10-2006, 09:33 AM
I am going to WDW at Christmas time. I'll be able to see the parks decorated, I'll be able to attend MVMCP, the Candlelight Processional, Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights, and I get to do this with my daugther and my sister in law, who is a great friend! We can't wait to go. That's a dream all in itself. My DH asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year and I said for the three of us to have a magically wonderful time and all be healthy for our trip in late November!!

Just being able to afford to do this for my DD and to share it with a good friend is DREAM enough for me.

Allison
10-10-2006, 09:54 AM
I am going to WDW at Christmas time. I'll be able to see the parks decorated, I'll be able to attend MVMCP, the Candlelight Processional, Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights, and I get to do this with my daugther and my sister in law, who is a great friend! We can't wait to go. That's a dream all in itself. My DH asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year and I said for the three of us to have a magically wonderful time and all be healthy for our trip in late November!!

Just being able to afford to do this for my DD and to share it with a good friend is DREAM enough for me.

BRAVO!!! :cheer2:

nuke
10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
I actually get happy watching other people get surprised and win something. It's not going to ruin my trip if I don't win, I'm just happy being at DW. I don't need a dream granted or a smile from a CM to be make my trip special.

WaltD4Me
10-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I actually get happy watching other people get surprised and win something. It's not going to ruin my trip if I don't win.

ITA! I would love to see someone get a dream! Sure, it would be nice if I got one too, but I would never go expecting something and it sure would never ruin my trip if I didn't.

I knew when they announced YOMD that some people were going to be disappointed and some would even feel "cheated", but like someone said up-thread, I feel so incredibly lucky to just be able to go to WDW in the first place, I don't know how I could feel that way just for not getting a Dream FP or YOMD ears or a pin or whatever.

lovethattink
10-10-2006, 02:07 PM
I've been to a park 4 different times since the new celebration. I've seen guests with the dream ears and others with the dream passes. I even know 3 DISers who got passes, way to go Zeta girls! However, let's not lose sight of the magic the cm's provide every day. DH got an extra piece of fish at the Fish and Chips stand at Epcot last week, for his hungry belly that was a dream come true, but certainly not an official dream wish. Chip, Dale and Minnie played with my son at the Character connection for a long time before another guest came up to see them!

Sure I'd love to get an official dream granted, but I'll settle for the "regular" Disney magic anyday!

Zippa D Doodah
10-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Possible cynical comment alert: pirate:

The whole idea of "magic" is what keeps me and my family coming back to WDW. The CMs are always superb. We always have a great time. I appreciate all the tings great and small that Disney does for us. Now for the cynical part... does anyone else think its hilarious that Disney is telling us that its giving us a "million dreams"? A hat, a pin, or a fast pass is not what I lay in bed and dream of at night. For 99.999% of us going to WDW during the YOMD will be like any other time. 'Extra Magic' will happen sometimes; sometimes it won't find its way to us. The big prizes will undoubtedly be a big deal for the handful of people who win those. It does not serve the rest of us well to adopt an attitude of expecting extra dreams come true. Excellent marketing strategy by Disney, although they would be getting my money anyhow :teeth: . But it seems more like the year of a few hundred dreams and a million or so small magical moments. It's Disney! It's enough for us to enjoy it without wishing for a carrot that is on a stick that's a mile long.

Windy City Heather
10-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Sure I'd love to get an official dream granted, but I'll settle for the "regular" Disney magic anyday!

I agree, I am more than happy with the "regular" Disney magic. My dd4 seems to get the regular disney magic every trip. The big ticket items were the only thing than made my heart skip a beat witht he Year of A Million Dreams. The magic my dd gets is way better than the mouse ears, pins, or even fast passes. She has been picked to start a parade, picked to be in Belle's Story Time, she road Soarin as a vip, woke tink, had extra play time with characters, road Peter Pan with Wendy twice and Snow White with Snow White and road the front of the monorail many times. These are better than the trinket prizes they are giving away.

drakester
10-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm with the last 2 poster. It seems like everytime we go something magical happens. One year my daughter got to open mickey house and have a long one on one meeting, getting to do log racing with a cast member after splash mountain, unlimited fastpass for tt. So I can't complain. If we get a dream in Jan. that would be nice but I'll settle for the regular kind of Disney magic any day. :thumbsup2

princssdisnygina
10-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I think it is ok to be a little envious but we should all be happy for those getting that little something extra! I go to Disney for the magic I get no matter what...and if I get something extra great, if not the regular Disney magic works for me! It is like going to Las Vegas...if you plan on winning you will be disappointed! We should go to have fun and no worry about it or let it distract us from the magic that is happening by being there with our family and friends!

Gina

gymborocks
10-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I was there from 9/30 - 10/7 - AWESOME vacation. The only "dreamy" thing we got was a free wheelchair rental for my Mom one night at MGM. That being said, I really didn't feel envious because I wasn't expecting anything. I only saw one person with one of those cool FP's, and she was so nice that I was happy for her. It would have bummed me out if I saw a ton of people with them, though. Or if it seemed like everyone around me was getting stuff.*

KatheeME
10-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Kaybird, I think you stated this very discreetly and I agree. Have a magical trip and may your dreams come true! :)

This is where I sometimes think these boards (no flames please) can hinder a vacation. We all love hearing about magical things that happen, (for instance at Whispering Canyon) then if the same thing that happened to Mary Doe doesn't happen to Jane Doe, they are disapointed. I have truly been afraid of this since they announced the Million Dreams. We have a great trip every time, appreciate any special magic moments, and try not to compare our experiences to others.

BTW-this is not to say I won't be screaming and jumping up and down if we do get something special, just trying to remain focused on making our own trip the best! :banana:

mmiller711
10-22-2006, 08:31 PM
I should be receiving my "dream wish" any day now. My DD is pregnant with our second grandchild! Just think, a new little Mickey Fan to share the magic with! We are so lucky to be able to go to Disney every year. My DD lets our grandson go with us even if she can not and I know alot of parents wouldn't. My wonderful SIL is in the Army and scheduled to be moved from our hometown recruiting duty in one year. I hate that they will all be moving away from us and hope we can continue to spend time with the babies and them. Just being able to be with friends and family is a dream come true! I'll take that over a fastpass or a pin any day!

theresak
10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
We're going to be there for 13 days. 13 DAYS!!!! I never ever dreamed of being able to go to DW when I was growing up, and now I can see my boys enjoy the wonder of Disney.
Can it get any better?? :cool1:

saschab
10-22-2006, 09:33 PM
I would be more than happy to never win anything if it meant that some little kid got it instead.

My pixie dust comes from the fact that I have enough resources to visit from NJ once a month.

(highlights, mine)

Wow...I'm not jealous of YOAMD winners, but I sure am jealous of you!
;) :goodvibes

katrini111
10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Just seeing the smiles on my boys' faces is a dream come true for me! :love:

WaltD4Me
10-22-2006, 10:21 PM
if I get something extra great, if not the regular Disney magic works for me! It is like going to Las Vegas...if you plan on winning you will be disappointed!

EXCELLENT analogy! I never expect to win anything in Vegas, but I always have a great time! And the one time I DID win, and it wasn't all that much, I sure wasn't expecting to, so the thrill and surprise of it made it even better...and more fun!

And "winning" something at Disney WOULD be really be cool since I won't have to put money in any machines to do it, but "win" or not, I'm thrilled just to be there.

Sabbie
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
This saddens me a little...

Isn't is a dream come true enough when you're walking down Main Street, in front of the Castle.. and realize how AMAZING the world Disney creates really is?

kaytieeldr
10-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Maybe some of it is the green-eyed monster, but when I read about people getting 3 or more of these dreams during their stay (and even multiple ones in one day!), and I come back having been there at the same time only having experienced frowns on MANY CMs faces, it makes me feel a bit sad. I guess i would have liked SOMETHING...... It sort of makes me feel left out of what was going on all around me There are two different things going on. There's the Year of a Million Dreams Sweepstakes, during which an average of 1,551 official prizes will be awarded each day of the promotion, with winners being split among Disneyland, Disney's California Adventure, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, postcard entries, and possibly other DL/WDW locations each day, out of over 170,000 Guests per day and who knows how many mail-in entries, or a less than one tenth of one percent chance of winning a YoaMD prize; and Cast Members granting unexpected, unofficial 'wishes' to random Guests, with absolutely NO official count released. IT'S ALL JUST CHANCE. As someone indicated upthread, thousands of families will never even get to go to Walt Disney World.

well the way i'm looking at it is, i'm gonna be there for christmas and since
christmas is the time for giving, Disney can give me one of the BIG Dreams Gifts Except the Sweepstakes is being run by an entirely impartial company :) and the awards are random.

DVD CM
10-23-2006, 02:55 AM
Sorry to be posting under my husband's name....

but I had to add that I really, really want to see someone get a prize during our trip that starts the end of this week. I don't want to win anything at all...because, well, the husband works for the Disney Studio and we would have to decline gracefully! Could you imagine, if we won the DVC prize? I would just die!!!!

But I am happy and thrilled that this trip is my "Million Dream Prize," as it was a surprise trip for our anniversary!

Ishy
10-23-2006, 07:13 AM
They have a daily snail mail as well. From what I understand, the snail mail entries are treated just like a 'park' - on the days that snails are picked from they will be awarding all the things that don't require you to use it that day. So the prizes will vary from the pool of lanyards and ears right up to a chance for the biggies - DVC, cruise, grand marshal world tour.

I have been sending in one or two post cards per week cause you never know and it gives me a dream of hope--- and yes.. the odds are so greatly stacked against me, I probably have better odds in the mega-millions :)

Anyone else doing the snail mail entry?

CathrynRose
10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Im doing the mail entry, as well.

But I JUST got back from WDW October 4th... after a long 11 day trip.

And, from my ticker below - Im headed back in January for a quickie little trip.

THAT is a dream for me! More than once a year?!?? Anything more than that, is gonna be icing on my YoaMD cake! :thumbsup2

ADP
10-30-2006, 07:43 PM
A couple of observations that I posted on another thread:

Just an observation of the Dreams and Dream Squad. Most Dream Fast Passes are being handed out early in the day. This gives the guests all day to enjoy them. In fact, most of the people I spoke with who received the Fast Passes, Lanyards, and hats all told me they got there dreams early in the day, before 11:00AM. My guess is that if you want to increase your chances of winning something arrive early and go on as many attractions as you can.

Another observation is that the Dream Squad are very covert. They seem to be hiding out until its time to hand out dreams. I asked about this to a few Cast Members and they told me at the beginning of the promotion a lot of people identified the Dream Squad members and were following them around. They were even getting approached by a lot of people asking for or about the dreams. Although you will see them walking through the parks they don't roam, they tend to hide out in other places and await there time and place to hand out dreams. When we received our dream lanyards and pins at Star Tours the Dream Squad member came out of nowhere to tell us about our dream, she reached in her bag for the lanyards, handed them out and left quickly through the back exit.

MommyPoppins
11-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I agree with you. Knowing about what's going on and having expectations(which is our own fault anyway) makes it hard to see other people getting magic. We go to WDW a lot and have never had anything extra special happen to us. Well that's not true. It never happens to me. DH took our two littlest boys on Buzz first thing one morning and they got the first family of the day award and a free picture. Which was great. Course the other half of the family missed out. ;) Anyway, I was just talking to my husband about this last night and how we never get any extra magic and that I'm sure we'd see tons of people getting the dreams this weekend when we go. He said we are just too under the radar. Which is true, we're quiet, shy, well he's not but I am and so are the boys, so we just don't draw much attention to ourselves. So he said this weekend we should just act crazy and happy and all in wonder. I said,"Well, actually it seems like a lot of things are happening in groups, so we can just find a crazy attention attracting fan and follow them all day." :teeth:

At any rate, we'll have a great time. And I am just thankful we can go so often. :)

Tomskatt
11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Our dreams are coming true each day we are there, but I would still love m y kids to be surprised! Anyway we're going tomorrow!!! Whoo hooo!

chigirl
11-03-2006, 04:36 PM
A couple of observations that I posted on another thread:

Just an observation of the Dreams and Dream Squad. Most Dream Fast Passes are being handed out early in the day. This gives the guests all day to enjoy them. In fact, most of the people I spoke with who received the Fast Passes, Lanyards, and hats all told me they got there dreams early in the day, before 11:00AM. My guess is that if you want to increase your chances of winning something arrive early and go on as many attractions as you can.

Another observation is that the Dream Squad are very covert. They seem to be hiding out until its time to hand out dreams. I asked about this to a few Cast Members and they told me at the beginning of the promotion a lot of people identified the Dream Squad members and were following them around. They were even getting approached by a lot of people asking for or about the dreams. Although you will see them walking through the parks they don't roam, they tend to hide out in other places and await there time and place to hand out dreams. When we received our dream lanyards and pins at Star Tours the Dream Squad member came out of nowhere to tell us about our dream, she reached in her bag for the lanyards, handed them out and left quickly through the back exit.

I agree...
we won Dream fast passes twice last week and I didn't see the Dream Squad people until we won them. Actually, before we went on TOT where we won our second one, I did see a CM using a "clicker", counting off people as we entered, but he had a black coat on, so I didn't see what he was wearing. They gave the lanyards to us after the lights came on just after the Rod Sterling video. Both times we won, we won before 11am.