PDA

View Full Version : Swan/dolphin Questions !!!!

daisy58
10-06-2006, 09:59 PM
what is the difference between the two??? We are 2 adults planning for May 07. Is one more "family", and the other "adults" in setup, amenities? Also do
the king standard rooms have a balcony?? Or do you need to upgrade the room catagory?
Am I correct in the following:
Extra Magic Hours-yes
Magical Express-no
Park charging to room-no
Package delivery from parks to resort-yes (does this include DTD???)
Able to make ADR's- yes (180 days advance like Disney resorts?????)
MYW Dining-no
Anything I left out?????
*****I also read somewhere that there is not a refridgerator, but a
minibar, which if you use it for personal stuff they charge $20.00???
And is that per stay, per night....how is the enforcement????
THANKS!!!!

daisy58
10-07-2006, 12:15 AM
bumping myself!!!! :wave:

Rella Bella
10-07-2006, 01:07 AM
what is the difference between the two??? We are 2 adults planning for May 07. Is one more "family", and the other "adults" in setup, amenities? Also do
the king standard rooms have a balcony?? Or do you need to upgrade the room catagory?
Extra Magic Hours-yes
Magical Express-no
Park charging to room-no
MYW Dining-no
Anything I left out?????
THANKS!!!!
HI DAISY! :wave2:
Hello to your pretty little dog too!
I will help all I can.
We stayed in the Dolphin. LOVED the room, especially the King bed!
THE BEST BED we've ever had on property! They call it the Heavenly bed... and they're not joking! Very comfortable and upgraded linens too.
The Swan has them too.

The pool area is phenomenal! Lobby areas are beautiful in both hotels, the rooms were wonderful, the hallways were long and a bit tired & worn. The Dolphin is HUGE!!!!! Long walk from elevator to room. When I go back I will stay in the Swan... a little smaller.

Food was great, transportation & location wonderful.
We had a park view but didn't ask for an upgrade.
Don't remember much else.

If you choose S or D go to Starwood Preferred Guest & sign up to earn points. You will probably earn a free night (or close) with just your 8 days!

Have fun planning!! Rella :wave2:

daisy58
10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks Rella! :love:
ps...she really is a cutie pie, huh....I just luv her to pieces! :love: If only they had disney doggie days.....
....She has a not so secret crush on "Tramp" pluto:

webray
10-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Extra Magic Hours-yes
Magical Express-no
Park charging to room-no
MYW Dining-no
Anything I left out?????
THANKS!!!!

Balcony rooms are definately a category of their own..I have never been in a standard room that has a balcony.

You definately get EMH, we have many times.

No park charging to room.

There is a mini bar. We usually just put a couple bottles of water in front of the stuff to chill as needed.

Swan and Dolphin are both great. Comfy beds, wonderful ammenities, nice atmosphere. Dolphin has Picabo, the 24 hour restaurant. Dolphin has larger lobby area. Swan is much smaller than Dolphin, so shorter walk to room.

CindeBella
10-07-2006, 08:31 AM
We just returned from our first Dolphin stay a couple of days ago. We have always stayed at the Swan. The was our first trip without our 3 lovely children. We wanted to experience an adult Disney vacation of fine dining and moving at our own pace.

We had a king room with a distant view of the MK. We were able to see the fireworks in the evening which were amazing! We didn't ask for this or pay extra.

As far as a shuttle from the airport... to be honest, we were happy to pay the $109 for a car to take us to and from the airport. Not only for comfort but to save time. We arrived at 11am and wanted to get a start on the F&W Festival at Epcot. Our room wasn't ready at the time of arrival, which was a first, so we left our bags at the bellstand and went to Epcot. The Swan/Dolphin have drivers all the time which makes it nice if you don't want to ride the bus. We used a driver to take us to the Contemporary for breakfast one morning at the end of our stay.
The hotels also have very nice restaurants. This was our first time dining at Shulas and the food/service was outstanding! The best dining experience yet.
Our drinks were very strong, only ordered one :rotfl2: and our waiter sent us a complimentary molten cake that was AMAZING. The Bluezoo was very good as well.

ADR can be made regardless of where you are staying. Those that live near by make them as well.

The only complaint I have is that we tend to find additional charges on our bill at times. This time there was a $2 charge for something that was not specified but was taken off. Not a big deal being $2 but they did not explain the charge. There is a charge for the mini bar if things are moved around.. we were told there is a scale. Not sure how accurate that info is but we have seen charges for items that we have not taken. In fact, we have never taken a single item. I have asked that the bar be locked and food be taken out when we are traveling with our 3 children which they have done. They did let us use the mini refrigerator when our daughter's formula needed to be kept refrigerated, at no additional charge. Don't let those things give you a bad take on the hotel, just check your bill. The good far exceed the bad! The employee at the bellstand could not find our return reservation to the airport from Happy Limo, he gave us a voucher for a complimentary service to the airport. Our driver showed up so we did not need it.

Also, sign up for a preferred guest on Starwood's website.

Have a good trip!! princess:

CindeBella
10-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Forgot to answer... packages are sent from DD as well as the parks. Sounds as if everything else is correct. The king room we had did not have a balcony. I'm not sure what the extra charge is for that.
I can't say that one is more family friendly than the other. Both are very similiar as far as I can tell.

We have considered the DVC and will probably go ahead with it, but it's so hard for us to leave these two resorts. The pool and beach is amazing. Palio and Kimonos are good restaurants also.

daisy58
10-07-2006, 07:44 PM
So...we booked a standard room at the Swan...already happy to be saving $$$ yet not giving up our deluxe epcot room and location...signed up last night for Starwood, also their c/c, since you get 10000 points after 1st use!
Booked the room under AARP discount (we are only 51/48 yrs-but when DH :smooth: turned 50 last year, AARP offered their membership, and I said
heck yeah! more discounts!) THEN today, saw on the AARP website, that
members get an upgraded Starwood discount plan (preferred plus), So I called Starwood, asked for the upgrade, and Marcus, the agent said, how about I do one better, and upgrade you to gold??? :cool1: So NOW, we have the AARP discount, automatic room upgrade with the gold Starwood,
and we can use the 10k points for a *free* night in our upgraded room!!!!
:woohoo: I am totally stoked!!!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

PrincessKitty1
10-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Daisy58! I had just rejoined the Starwood Preferred program (couldn't find my old card) for our upcoming stay in November, and I had no idea there was an AARP perk!

I just turned 50 last month and joined AARP a few months before for the discounts--they ARE great! :cheer2:

daisy58
10-07-2006, 08:52 PM
PrincessKitty- be sure to call starwood and have them upgrade your
regular starwood program to the AARP one!

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
10-07-2006, 08:54 PM
The rooms may have some minor differences, but nothing that I noticed. The decor is the same. Same Heavenly Beds.

We like the Swan due to its smaller size and easy walk to the Boardwalk area.

Have a great trip!! I have posted several photos on the resort photo thread. Take a look if you have time.

The pool area is very nice and you are going to love the famous oatmeal soap. The WDW channels are on the TV just like an official WDW hotel.

daisy58
10-07-2006, 09:03 PM
oooohhhh I LOVE oatmeal soap!!! :love:
Which makes me think of yet another question!!
are the room toiletries, shampoo etc better than at the Disney resorts?
(I never did like their shampoo/conditioner, and am not a fan of Ivory
soap! It dries my skin out!!! :blush:

PrincessKitty1
10-07-2006, 09:12 PM
PrincessKitty- be sure to call starwood and have them upgrade your
regular starwood program to the AARP one!

I definitely will, thanks!

happymommy
10-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Extra Magic Hours-yes
Magical Express-no
Park charging to room-no
MYW Dining-no
Anything I left out?????
THANKS!!!!

I just stayed at the Swan in April, then the Dolphin in August. It was me, my DD7 and DS9. Here's my take:
Both: I booked a balcony room. Definitely need that one. DS has asthma, so can't have it cooped up. Love to get up before kids to have coffee on balcony - it's like having another little room. Stayed on points for both trips, so worth the extra points.
Swan: room nice size - king room with double sleeper sofa. Two sinks. Love that. Room clean. Had to have engineering come to take fuse out of motion detector to have A/C run when we were not in room (asthma). Son has food allergies so they brought a small fridge no charge. If you have a medical reason they'll give you a fridge. Never did package delivery. Did magical hours (?) so yes that's good. Room service good. It's quiet at the Swan - I loved that!

Dolphin: ditto balcony room. They gave us a corner room. We had an additional balcony that was huge. BUT it was a smaller room by far. King bed but the sofa sleeper couldn't open: I told them to remove it and give me a rollaway. The room seemed dirtier - maybe since it's a corner with the two balconies but I had some huge bug and lots of little bugs that bit me and a friend one night on the balcony. It was more convenient to the laundry room, the restaurants, and the shops. We carried sushi out 4 nights (DS loves it but it's pricey, about $75 each night for us 3). Got the fridge, got the A/C under control. Missed the second sink and the extra space for toiletries (brought the over the door shoe holder so that was good).

I think the Swan was nice and quieter. I am going back there in March. I never got the minibar key either time - don't know how to comment on that but if you want any other advice PM me! I am sold on the location, and the service is pretty good - much better than we've had at a lot of Disney resorts. The room service had kids' meals so that is good for a parent who frequently travels there without the DH (he works too much!).

Dan Murphy
10-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I enjoy the Swan over the Dolphin, smaller.

CindeBella
10-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Which makes me think of yet another question!!
are the room toiletries, shampoo etc better than at the Disney resorts?
(I never did like their shampoo/conditioner, and am not a fan of Ivory
soap! It dries my skin out!!! :blush:

I'm not a big fan of the toiletries. I brought my own in travel containers.

Just an head's up... The swan/dolphin offers a gov't discount, nurse discount and teacher's discount for just above the moderate resort price. Disboards had a discount rate of $155 recently which was $4 dollars cheaper than what we were able to get with my husband's gov't discount.

The Swan/Dolphin had a few "Best" in Birnbaum's official guide. Shula's had best steak, Palio's had either first or second place for italian, Bluezoo for seafood, first for room service... I can't think of the rest at the moment, but I can testify that all of the above mentioned are the best.

You will enjoy your stay princess:

jwfla422
10-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Swan. We have stayed at both the S/D several times and although we do like both we prefer the Swan a bit more because of it's size. The walk to your room is much quicker and the Swan is easier to navigate. That being said it's really a matter of personal preference. The Dolphin does have more conveniences. They are shared by both resorts but the conveniences are naturally closer to the Dolphin since they are located there (ie. Picabu's being 24 hrs with refillable mugs available, laundry, the gameroom, grotto pool is closer).

The $20 charge to empty the mini-bar is a one time charge. We bring our own portable frig so we don't use the mini-bar at all. There is no freezer in them so you can't freeze ice packs, etc. The only trouble we had this trip was with the parking lot scanner. It didn't work at all and everytime we exited the lot I had to wait for the attendant to let us out (we should have just gone through the "day visitor" line). Once we were double charged but they removed it with no problem.

You can click on my links below to see the Swan studio or king executive suite (which is a regular king room with a connecting door to another room which is a huge palor room).

DisneyFans4
10-08-2006, 02:56 PM
You'll enjoy your stay at the Swan, we just love it there!! This past August we had the grand suite and 3 balconies, absolutely wonderful!!! We had an Epcot view and we watched Illuminations every night from our balcony.

If you make purchases downtown they will send it over to the Swan. Just pick your packages up in their gift shop.

tjmw2727
10-08-2006, 03:06 PM
We love the Swan and Dolphin and just returned from a 6 day stay at the Dolphin. I prefer the Dolphin just a bit over the Swain because of the Picabu restaurant, they call it a buffeteria but its got cold sandwiches, salads and grab and go items as well as pizza and great food including the soup which is a fav of my dd's. If you request a room close to the elevators its not a long walk to anywhere, esp if you ask for the west wing. OTOH since the Dolpin is bigger you have a better chance of getting the coveted Epcot view - although its a Loooong walk to the elevators but if you get one it its worth it.

In general for us the S&D are a great option as they are often priced at the WDW moderate point but offer more including inside corridors and great restaurants. So many restaurant options in the S/D plus walking distance to the Boardwalk and YC/BC as well as MGM and Epcot. I love the heavenly beds and the toiletries are bath & body works, I love the oatmeal soap.

As far as WDW perks they offer the package delivery to the resort gift shop and EMH's same as WDW resorts and great transportation. The bus route is usually shared with BW and YC/BC and you have the boats or walking paths as well. You won't be able to charge from the parks to your room charge or have access to DME however.

The Grotto pool is our second favorite only to Stormalong Bay and since they also offer the warmer "spring pool" its my dd's favorite pool. The girls also prefer the slide at the Grotto better than Stormalong because they don't like to walk across the "street". The Grotto pool is tied for second place among our family with the Polynesian pool.

FWIW we visit often and have stayed at most of the WDW resorts in every category and the Dolphin is my first choice every trip.

TJ

DisneyFans4
10-08-2006, 03:40 PM
When we were there in August the bus was not shared with YC or BC. It was Boardwalk, Swan and then Dolphin. Guess they realized the old way was just way too crowded for that bus. Depending on where it was going sometimes the Swan was the first stop.

Tiffany
10-08-2006, 04:20 PM
We just returned from our first Dolphin stay a couple of days ago. We have always stayed at the Swan. The was our first trip without our 3 lovely children. We wanted to experience an adult Disney vacation of fine dining and moving at our own pace.

We had a king room with a distant view of the MK. We were able to see the fireworks in the evening which were amazing! We didn't ask for this or pay extra.

As far as a shuttle from the airport... to be honest, we were happy to pay the $109 for a car to take us to and from the airport. Not only for comfort but to save time. We arrived at 11am and wanted to get a start on the F&W Festival at Epcot. Our room wasn't ready at the time of arrival, which was a first, so we left our bags at the bellstand and went to Epcot. The Swan/Dolphin have drivers all the time which makes it nice if you don't want to ride the bus. We used a driver to take us to the Contemporary for breakfast one morning at the end of our stay.
The hotels also have very nice restaurants. This was our first time dining at Shulas and the food/service was outstanding! The best dining experience yet.
Our drinks were very strong, only ordered one :rotfl2: and our waiter sent us a complimentary molten cake that was AMAZING. The Bluezoo was very good as well.

ADR can be made regardless of where you are staying. Those that live near by make them as well.

The only complaint I have is that we tend to find additional charges on our bill at times. This time there was a $2 charge for something that was not specified but was taken off. Not a big deal being $2 but they did not explain the charge. There is a charge for the mini bar if things are moved around.. we were told there is a scale. Not sure how accurate that info is but we have seen charges for items that we have not taken. In fact, we have never taken a single item. I have asked that the bar be locked and food be taken out when we are traveling with our 3 children which they have done. They did let us use the mini refrigerator when our daughter's formula needed to be kept refrigerated, at no additional charge. Don't let those things give you a bad take on the hotel, just check your bill. The good far exceed the bad! The employee at the bellstand could not find our return reservation to the airport from Happy Limo, he gave us a voucher for a complimentary service to the airport. Our driver showed up so we did not need it.

Also, sign up for a preferred guest on Starwood's website.

Have a good trip!! princess:

How far in advance did you make your Shula's reservation? I am thinking of canceling our Dec 16th ADR at the Yatchman's and trying Shula's instead.

Tiffany
10-08-2006, 04:24 PM
We will be at the Swan for the first time, since June of 2005, this coming December. Does anyone know what the current rate is for valet and for self parking and for internet service?

tjmw2727
10-08-2006, 05:13 PM
When we were there in August the bus was not shared with YC or BC. It was Boardwalk, Swan and then Dolphin. Guess they realized the old way was just way too crowded for that bus. Depending on where it was going sometimes the Swan was the first stop.

Interesting, as we were just at the Dolphin last week, 9/28-10/6. We definately stopped at the YC/BC and then the Boardwalk on the way to MK. On the way to AK we stopped at the YC/BC but not the Boardwalk. Then on the way to DTD we stopped at YC/BC then the Boardwalk and then TL, on the way back the Swan was the first stop on every occasion.

Perhaps it varies depending on crowds?

TJ

DisneyFans4
10-08-2006, 05:34 PM
That would explain why at times the Swan was the first stop and then Dolphin and then the parks. I guess certain times the Boardwalk was the first stop and then it went onto YC and then BC. We were there for 14 days in August and not once did our bus stop at the YC or BC. Maybe it does depend on the crowds but it was pretty crowded the first 2 weeks in August.

CindeBella
10-08-2006, 07:05 PM
How far in advance did you make your Shula's reservation? I am thinking of canceling our Dec 16th ADR at the Yatchman's and trying Shula's instead.

We made the ADR's that afternoon. We were too tired to shuttle to the restaurant we planned that evening. We were the only couple in the room and had our waiter's undivided attention.

princess:

CindeBella
10-08-2006, 07:10 PM

This is the only route we have taken during all of our stays at the S/D. princess:

fsu
10-08-2006, 08:03 PM
We will be staying at the Swan for the 1st time in Dec. for our 7 year anniversary. I love reading these posts about the swan and dolphin. Am I understanding that there is a charge for self parking at the hotel if you are staying there that seems strange to me I hope I misunderstood? Also we are staying at the Swan is it a close walk to eat at the restaurants at the Dolphin. Also what is the bus service like to the parks and I have read that you can take a boat to some. Is there a way to get to downtown Disney with boat or bus? Sorry for all the questions we usually stay at the All Star Resorts so we are really exited about the Swan.

CindeBella
10-08-2006, 08:23 PM
We will be staying at the Swan for the 1st time in Dec. for our 7 year anniversary. I love reading these posts about the swan and dolphin. Am I understanding that there is a charge for self parking at the hotel if you are staying there that seems strange to me I hope I misunderstood? Also we are staying at the Swan is it a close walk to eat at the restaurants at the Dolphin. Also what is the bus service like to the parks and I have read that you can take a boat to some. Is there a way to get to downtown Disney with boat or bus? Sorry for all the questions we usually stay at the All Star Resorts so we are really exited about the Swan.

There is a charge for parking at the S/D. We don't leave Disney so we no longer rent a vehicle.
Swan and Dolphin are adjacent. To be honest, the walk isn't a big difference to me. Especially when you consider all of the walking you will be doing while you're there.
The bus service usually picks up at the Boardwalk, Swan and then Dolphin. We walk to Epcot and MGM, or take a boat. This week we only took the boat one time since we stopped at Big River for a couple of drinks to/from where we were going :thumbsup2 It's a nice walk, the grounds are beautiful and the weather was perfect.
A bus will take you to DD. Although we used a Mears driver to take us to the Contemporary for breakfast Wednesday morning.. too tired to ride the bus route to MK and walk to Contemp. Mears drivers are always waiting outside the hotels to take you anywhere... nice but can get $$.
It is a beautiful hotel and we love the Boardwalk area... the music playing, restaurants and boats - it's perfect. Flying Fish is excellent as is Spoodles for breakfast on the Boardwalk. All of the restaurants at S/D are wonderful!
We consider other resorts but keep coming back.

Congratulations on your 7th anniversary! We celebrated our 10th at the Swan in May princess:

DisneyFans4
10-09-2006, 07:02 AM
I absolutely love the Swan and have been there 3 years in a row now. I've never felt more like I was in Disney until staying there. Epcot is my favorite park and I just love walking there. If your staying at the Swan and just walk over the bridge and go through the Boardwalk it's much faster to get to Epcot. It's faster to walk there then taking the boat because the boat makes all the stops. From the boat the stop is Swan/Dolphin, YC/BC, Boardwalk and then Epcot.

My DH is there right now for a convention but is staying at the Boardwalk. He can't bring himself to stay at the Swan because of so many memories. He's a real softie. He already hates his room and has asked to be moved this morning. They put him in a room right next to the elevator, vending and ice machines, and it's next to the bus stop.

Transportation is great and we have never had a problem. We never rent a car because we usually don't leave Disney but if we decide to do Sea World or Universal, the cabs don't cost that much.

fsu
10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Oh well I am sure we will still enjoy the Swan. Paying for parking when you are paying to stay at the hotel is a pet peeve of mine. We live in the panhandle of FL so we drive to Disney but then park and dont touch the car untill we leave, we like to let Disney do the driving. Still very excited and cant wait to stay at the Swan for the 1st time. We always have driven by it and said wouldnt it be nice to stay there and now we finally are. Thanks for the comments.

DisneyFans4
10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
FSU-You really will love your stay and if possible ask for an Epcot view because it is to die for. You see everything!!

At least my DH got a new room at the Boardwalk and it's much nicer and quieter but a little further away but he doesn't care. He has an Epcot view.

mickeyluv'r
10-09-2006, 05:22 PM
We've stayed there numerous times, and we always felt the Swan had slightly better amenities for us. The beds are larger (althoughI haven't confirmed that this is till true after the renovations), the park bus goes to the Swan first, and we love having a view of the parks. I think both are about the same regarding kids vs. adults. Balconies are extra. We did not use ours much when we paid for it. We do enjoy our view though, and prefer the front of the resort or looking towards Epcot.
Although you can't use your room key to charge fromt he parks, you can use it withint the two resorts. For us, really the only time we ever wish to use a room charge is when we're at the pool and want a drink or snack, and don't want to bring a large wallet or pocketbook. By the way, if you choose to do so, both reosrts have poolside bars - though the one by the Dolphin is better and has more hours - which will serve you lovely fruity cocktails like pina coladas...mmm....

Without taking anything out of the minibar, we've usually been able to find space for a tiny item or two. We've always been able to find room for a pint of milk for our coffee, and sometimes we've even beena ble to squeeze in asome leftovers....once we had a big slice of chocolate cake....sometimes we can even sqeeze in a bottle or two of water along the top.

Yes, the soap, shampoo, etc, is much better at the Swan than the standard Disney fare. The only exception was the GF, which has it's own line of products.

If you stay at the SWan, and don't feel like hiking allthe way over to the Swan for a QS breakfast at the buffeteria, you can also get some breakfast items at the Swan. There is a little bar near the back entrance ( the one that leads tothe boats/pool) whic sells basic breakfast items in the morning. We did find it worthwhile to pick up some cereal at a grocery store, and bananas and bottled water. Then for a snack in the room, all you need is a little milk each day. Youcan also pick up somethign to eat at the Boardwalk bakery,and the walk to and from Epcot is beautiful. WE've also enjoyed eating at the brewpub on the Boardwalk, usually with no ADR's. We've also had good luck eating at the SWna, though I can't say I'll miss Palio's. Our last meal there was not very good, and WAY overpriced. We much prefer Kimono's, but we're sushi nuts. Youcan also plan on getting breakfast in the parks. The Land in Epcot is a favorite, Starring Rolls is a favorite at MGM (though it's light fare, like bagels). At Magic Kingdom we are inclined to make ADR's for Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, or hoof over to the Dolphin before we go.

As for the busses, the last time we went, the Swan bus only went to the Dolphin. Other times we've seen the bus make the Epcot resorts loop, especially if you get on the bus at non-peak times. Usually in the AM and late PM, it only went to Swan/Dolphin. If you are quick walker, and you find that the bus is making stops at all the resorts, or you are leaving a park mid day and one of the other buses is boarding...it only takes about ten minutes max to walk from either the YC or the Boardwalk to the Swan or Dolphin, if you're a reasonably fast walker, and the walk is very nice. In the mid-day especially, or if you are going to another resort as part of your outing, it is worth taking the car out of the parking lot to get there more quickly.

Incidentally, the parking fee was put in place to replace a resort fee that they used to charge guests. We found that it greatly reduced the number of people parkig in the lot, whether they were non-guests or people who have decided now to use a towncar service. If you don't plan on using your car, a twoncar service will allow you a grocery store stop, and probably cost slightly less than a rental car.

DisneyFans4
10-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I had forgot to mention but room service at the Swan is wonderful!! The food is great and the service is quick. We used it a couple of times when we just got back so exhausted from the parks and just didn't feel like going back out again to eat. They have an extensive menu and they are open 24 hours. If you have food concerns or allergies as I have with one son, they really do accompany you.

As another poster indicated, the soaps and lotions are much better than what is given in the Disney hotels. I always bring home some of the oatmeal soap because it is wonderful!!!

Tiffany
10-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Can anyone confirm with the current self parking and valet parking fees are at the Swan? Just want to budget accordingly for our upcoming December stay.

CindeBella
10-09-2006, 06:30 PM
I had forgot to mention but room service at the Swan is wonderful!! The food is great and the service is quick. We used it a couple of times when we just got back so exhausted from the parks and just didn't feel like going back out again to eat. They have an extensive menu and they are open 24 hours. If you have food concerns or allergies as I have with one son, they really do accompany you.

As another poster indicated, the soaps and lotions are much better than what is given in the Disney hotels. I always bring home some of the oatmeal soap because it is wonderful!!!

ITA about the room service! S/D is voted best at Disney in Birnbaum's. We used the room service in May at the Swan, as we usually do when we're exhausted. Our server told us our tip was not included when it was. We usually don't look at our food bills too close...
Kimonos is my favorite but closes around 10pm I believe.

The Dolphin did not have the oatmeal soaps last week =( I, too, love it. The pink one is drying for me. I tend to be pretty picky in regards to shampoos, conditioners and lotion so keep that in mind :blush:

You mentioned that you have a son with allergies, DH and I were impressed we were asked this while at the Concourse Steakhouse for breakfast last week. Another good thing about Disney!!

I didn't realize this until someone mentioned it... but we weren't charge resort taxes either time this year. I guess that's a good thing since we no longer plan to rent a car.

ADP
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Can anyone confirm with the current self parking and valet parking fees are at the Swan? Just want to budget accordingly for our upcoming December stay.

I want to say that the self-parking is $7.00 per day and valet is $14.00. I'm about 75% sure.

DisneyFans4
10-10-2006, 06:39 AM
You mentioned that you have a son with allergies, DH and I were impressed we were asked this while at the Concourse Steakhouse for breakfast last week. Another good thing about Disney!! .

I found during our past trip that all restaurants in Disney are sensitive to food allergies. Each restaurant we went to the chef would actually come out and asked what my son planned on ordering and at times discouraged him from certain items either because certain items may have nuts in them or were cooked with something where nuts were nearby which I thought was terrific.

I found the same to be true with the pink gel-type soap and it was drying for me to and I have very sensitive skin. I used the oatmeal soap the entire time. I also bring my own shampoos and shower gels from home since I am sensitive.

I didn't know that the room service at the Swan was rated so high, no wonder it was so good. I've never had room service before so I can't compare with any other hotel but I can tell you the room service at the Swan is up there in my book and I would never hesitate. It's funny you mention Kimonos because me and DH love it there! We would actually order room service for my boys and then we would go downstairs to Kimonos!!!:thumbsup2

Blondie
10-10-2006, 09:54 AM
The daily self parking fee is $8 now.

We've had a room service breakfast twice at the Swan and both times it was wonderful! I highly recommend it!

My DH ordered the Swan & Dolphin breakfast, while I just had the pancakes. The strawberries and fresh cream were complimentary!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/StellaBella05/WDW%20February%202006/DSCN0695.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/StellaBella05/WDW%20February%202006/DSCN0696.jpg

jwfla422
10-10-2006, 11:58 AM

Actually $8.52 with tax....wow, Blondie, you're making me hungry with those photos!! :teeth:

TigrLvsPooh
10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
We love the Swan. :goodvibes We will be staying there for the third time in just a couple of weeks. The location is great and there are lots of dining options because you've got fantastic restaurants in both the Swan and the Dolphin, as well as a very short walk to the Boardwalk area.

This will be our first stay there with the kids, the last two stays we were alone. I think its a great place for an adult trip because the dining is so superior. In my opinion many of the Disney restaurants have gone down the toilet since the dining plan came along. Last June we had amazing meals at Shula's, Bluezoo, Palio, and Kimonos. The karaoke at Kiminos is always super fun!! :) The bartender there makes great martinis. :thumbsup2

The quiet pool near the Swan is always quiet, and the Grotto pool is great for the kids. Definitely one of the best pools on property. :) The pool over by the Dolphin is great too because they have a lady who brings around free water, towels, magazines, etc. And they have a nice bar with food. :woohoo:

We are lucky that our rooms at the Swan are dirt cheap. We pay about the same as what other people pay for a Value resort. So for us its an easy decision. I still love the Poly, GF, YC, WL, and AKL, but for the price we'll be doing the Swan from now on. Unless I hit the lottery, then I'm going back to concierge!!! :lmao:

DisneyFans4
10-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Last June we had amazing meals at Shula's, Bluezoo, Palio, and Kimonos.

I just wanted you to know that Palio is now closed. I loved that restaurant and am very sad it is gone. I heard a new italian restaurant is moving in. My DH is there now on a convention and walked through the Swan lobby this morning and told me that entire area is boarded off due to the construction. Also, concierge service is still there but not the lounge, they also got rid of that which was another service I really loved. I just loved Thabo and really did miss him this year. I heard he is doing something over at the Dolphin but he will surely be missed.

CindeBella
10-10-2006, 01:36 PM
I just wanted you to know that Palio is now closed. I loved that restaurant and am very sad it is gone. I heard a new italian restaurant is moving in. My DH is there now on a convention and walked through the Swan lobby this morning and told me that entire area is boarded off due to the construction. Also, concierge service is still there but not the lounge, they also got rid of that which was another service I really loved. I just loved Thabo and really did miss him this year. I heard he is doing something over at the Dolphin but he will surely be missed.

Oh no, DH loves Palio's. While making ADR's for our trip last week, I was told it was being refurbished not closed. I'm sure the next restaurant will be just as good. S/D have exceptional restaurants!

CindeBella
10-10-2006, 01:43 PM
I found during our past trip that all restaurants in Disney are sensitive to food allergies. Each restaurant we went to the chef would actually come out and asked what my son planned on ordering and at times discouraged him from certain items either because certain items may have nuts in them or were cooked with something where nuts were nearby which I thought was terrific.

I found the same to be true with the pink gel-type soap and it was drying for me to and I have very sensitive skin. I used the oatmeal soap the entire time. I also bring my own shampoos and shower gels from home since I am sensitive.

I didn't know that the room service at the Swan was rated so high, no wonder it was so good. I've never had room service before so I can't compare with any other hotel but I can tell you the room service at the Swan is up there in my book and I would never hesitate. It's funny you mention Kimonos because me and DH love it there! We would actually order room service for my boys and then we would go downstairs to Kimonos!!!:thumbsup2

Wow, I'm impressed the chef would come out to speak with your son! That is wonderful and reassuring. You can never be too careful.
DH has made many trips to Kimono's when I was too tired but I enjoy eating in the restaurant the most. Luckily, all three of our children love california rolls. I enjoyed them more than at "Japan" in Epcot.

I'm already missing S/D and it's been less than a week since we were there princess:

DisneyFans4
10-10-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm already missing S/D and it's been less than a week since we were there

I still miss it and we were there the first 2 weeks in August and DH is there now but not staying at the Swan. He can't bring himself to stay there and is at the Boardwalk. I don't know why Palio is closing but I heard a chain is coming in but an upscale italian restaurant. Good thing I purchased 2 Boccalini mugs as souveniers when I was there last because now it is my only memory of Palio.

As far as my son with the nut allergy I too was shocked when the chef actually came out but I guess who would know better what is in the food or how it is cooked than the chef! Allergies must have become such a serious problem that they do this now because they never did before. Before they take your order the waiter/waitress asks first if there are any food allergies.

tjmw2727
10-10-2006, 05:51 PM
LOL about the soap, I felt silly mentioning it but I love that oatmeal soap and the skin lotion. We did have the oatmeal soap last week (yea) 9/28-10/5 and I am so glad. During our april trip to the Boardwalk I took a walk over to the Dolphin and asked to purchase some of the oatmeal soap as the dove at the BWI was making me miserable ! Jessica at the front desk saved my vacation!!

As for parking, yes its 8.00 per day for self park, don't know about valet.

Hoping to get a good rate for our Easter stay so we can switch from POFQ, so far no luck.

TJ

DisneyFans4
10-11-2006, 08:34 AM
During our april trip to the Boardwalk I took a walk over to the Dolphin and asked to purchase some of the oatmeal soap as the dove at the BWI was making me miserable ! TJ

Dove!! My DH is staying at the BWI now for a convention and must be hating that!!!

CindeBella
10-11-2006, 08:54 AM
As far as my son with the nut allergy I too was shocked when the chef actually came out but I guess who would know better what is in the food or how it is cooked than the chef! Allergies must have become such a serious problem that they do this now because they never did before. Before they take your order the waiter/waitress asks first if there are any food allergies.

I believe it's Disney standard to go above and beyond, especially where children are concerned. It seems that there is always a child with a nut allergy in one of my children's classes. That makes me very precautious being a room parent. I can't imagine how many children with allergies visit Disney on a daily basis.

I don't think I could stay at The Swan w/out my family either. Hopefully, your husband is enjoying the F&W Festival. We loved it and plan to go back every year now. DH and I liked the beer course from Samuel Adams too.

Tiffany
10-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the replies on the self-parking and valet parking prices. Just a little over two months to go to our next stay at the Swan. I need to update my sig. and countdown clock.

DisneyFans4
10-13-2006, 12:28 PM
I believe it's Disney standard to go above and beyond, especially where children are concerned. It seems that there is always a child with a nut allergy in one of my children's classes. That makes me very precautious being a room parent. I can't imagine how many children with allergies visit Disney on a daily basis.

Yes, allergies are a big concern and even when I ordered from room service at the Swan they asked if there were any concerns. I know very well about the schools. I'm a lunchaide at my local elementary school and the children that have the nut allergies have to sit at a separate table and I can't tell you how many are at that table!

My DH is on his way home today. He loved the F&W Festival and he went to the Not So Scary Halloween Party last night at the MK and loved it!! He goes to that every year as well when he's there so long as it's being held when he is there. I collect pins so they have special ones that come out during the party.

mickeyluv'r
10-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Yes, allergies are a big concern and even when I ordered from room service at the Swan they asked if there were any concerns. I know very well about the schools. I'm a lunchaide at my local elementary school and the children that have the nut allergies have to sit at a separate table and I can't tell you how many are at that table!

Soory to hickjack a thread, but...
I'm sorry, but this sounds totally awful to me. The children with allergies are segregated!!?!?!? As someone with a nut allergy, I can tell you I would have found this situation terrible. It's hard enough to be a kid. Sorry. I don't love being around peanut butter, but I'd rather be near it than be segregated. I'm glad my school didn't do that.

I have also found the staff to be excellent regarding helping me find my way around nuts in foods. One place where they use lots of nuts is Wolfgang Puck's. Not the quick serve eatery, but the table service place.
The only thing I would be slightly critcal of is that Disney can sometimes be a tad overzealous - it's as much about lawsuits as loving kids or anyone else.
Numerous times staff has told me to avoid anyhting made with chocolate, or anything not made at WDW (the bread at Marrakesh), though the risk of cross contamination is low. I've had the Zebra domes, for example, at Boma a number of times and never had a reaction to them. I suppose there are people out there who are more sensative than I am, and I'm not complaining that they tell me about the risk of cross contamination, just that soetimes it seems a little over done. When I react, it is helpful if I know what item it was that caused the reaction in the first place, soI can guage how much I might have injested.

we1luv1dis
10-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Our DD(9) has severe dairy and nut allergies, it is safe to say we have had excellent experiences at several Disney restaurants. At the Chef Mickey character dinner, a chef actually came out and walked us thru the buffet pointing out what she could and could not eat and then made a special dairy free dessert for her. The chefs working at Spoodles on the Boardwalk have also been wonderful. We have stayed at the Dolphin several times and all their restaurants were very happy to show us their notebooks which detail the ingredients in all their food. Eateries in MK, Epcot, MGM and AK also have easily accessible ingredient lists.

CindeBella
10-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Soory to hickjack a thread, but...
I'm sorry, but this sounds totally awful to me. The children with allergies are segregated!!?!?!? As someone with a nut allergy, I can tell you I would have found this situation terrible. It's hard enough to be a kid. Sorry. I don't love being around peanut butter, but I'd rather be near it than be segregated. I'm glad my school didn't do that.

It may seem harsh for a child but most of these kids understand the reason. One of the mom's told me if her son touches a lunch table where a nut product has been, it could be fatal. Most parents don't know this... I didn't. Just a couple of weeks ago, she chased him down to smell his fingers after he touched a lunch table. I can't imagine having that fear all of the time. We all know how messy small children can be. My belief is it's better to be safe than sorry, especially in this situation. We all have to look out for the little ones princess:

CindeBella
10-13-2006, 06:31 PM
My DH is on his way home today. He loved the F&W Festival and he went to the Not So Scary Halloween Party last night at the MK and loved it!! He goes to that every year as well when he's there so long as it's being held when he is there. I collect pins so they have special ones that come out during the party.

Sounds like your DH had a wonderful time! DH and I went to the MNSSHP on the 2nd. It was packed. The parade was fun, seeing all of the villians, and the castle was beautiful.
DH and I decided we would like to come to every F&W from now on.

We gave our children pins and lanyards that we got on our trip last week. We weren't sure if the boys would be interested but they really liked them. I'm not so sure if they're going to want to trade their favorite pins though. lol.

Your lucky DH.. to be paid to go to Disney! Sounds like a dream job princess:

CindeBella
10-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Our DD(9) has severe dairy and nut allergies, it is safe to say we have had excellent experiences at several Disney restaurants. At the Chef Mickey character dinner, a chef actually came out and walked us thru the buffet pointing out what she could and could not eat and then made a special dairy free dessert for her. The chefs working at Spoodles on the Boardwalk have also been wonderful. We have stayed at the Dolphin several times and all their restaurants were very happy to show us their notebooks which detail the ingredients in all their food. Eateries in MK, Epcot, MGM and AK also have easily accessible ingredient lists.

That's wonderful... the mom that I mentioned earlier, wants to plan a trip to Dsiney. She will be thrilled to know the chefs will take that extra step. princess:

ctbasketlady
10-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes - The beds at the Swan are still queen sized and the Dolphin are doubles. As far as the refridgerator goes - we were able to get one for the week for $12.00 (cheaper than messing with the mini-bar). While I could have pushed to get it for free for my husband's diabetic supplies I didn't bother. We were upgraded to a balcony room and will DEFINATELY stay there again! The room service was awesome and no one had a problem falling asleep in the comfy beds! :cloud9:

ctbasketlady
10-13-2006, 11:02 PM
From the Swan/Dolphin web site:

AND COMING SOON:

Il Mulino New York Trattoria!

Traditional Italian cuisine from the Abruzzi region of Italy,
served in a lively bistro environment. Features a diverse
offering of elegantly and bountifully presented dishes,
prepared from original Italian recipes.

CindeBella
10-14-2006, 08:04 AM
From the Swan/Dolphin web site:

AND COMING SOON:

Il Mulino New York Trattoria!

Traditional Italian cuisine from the Abruzzi region of Italy,
served in a lively bistro environment. Features a diverse
offering of elegantly and bountifully presented dishes,
prepared from original Italian recipes.

Thanks for posting! I can't wait to try it out. I've read Il Mulino restaurant in NY is amazing. Here is a review:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/mag/article.pl?article_id=25390&base=25391

princess:

DisneyFans4
10-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Il Mulino is a good restaurant but I've never been to the one in NYC even though I'm here in NJ.

Well....DH came back yesterday and had a great time!! He got all of us pins and my NNSH tee shirt. I have last year's shirt and of course I wanted this year's. The promotion where you can get the throw for $15 if you spend $60 is beautiful!!!

He already got the dates for next year's convention so he can't wait. Once I know I can leave my boys alone then I plan to go!!!!!!

CindeBella
10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear your DH had a good trip! I really wanted that throw, I saw it after I bought most of the souveneirs already. I didn't spend $60 at the shop that carried them =( I asked if I could show them all of my receipts that totaled a lot more than $60 but she said no. I was able to do that in May. I love the one I got then.

I would definitely go if my husband we were planning a trip to Disney. While he's at his convention, you can spend time at the spa at the Dolphin and DD if you didn't want to go to the parks alone. Sounds like fun!! As much as I love going to Disney with our 3 children, we enjoyed our time there as well princess: