PDA

View Full Version : 9 people on a budget

five_lil_monkeys
10-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Ok, we have decided we will be staying onsite....but Im trying gauge what
our reasonable options are. We have 7 in our family (my dh, myself, dd-12,dd-9,ds-7,dd-5 & ds-4) along with my father in law and his 12 year old daughter. I had considered the wilderness cabins, BUT they wont fit us? Ok, so then are we stuck with just 2 rooms at an All Star resort? Obviously, the ASMo looks good b/c I have several toy story fans. Then Im reading about the bad bus situation....we will be taking our truck but Im not sure we'll be wanting to drive around either. I dont know if father in law wants to stay seperate from us...since his dd will probably want to stay with my 12yo and vice versa. There are just a LOT of us, and while we arent "broke" for this trip and dont want it to be too "budgeted", we also want to watch our spending. I dont know that we will even eat more than a small breakfast in our room...I just dont feel like I can gauge that. Maybe we will do the suggested mid day breaks......maybe not? I just dont want to spend more than necessary on the room. We do need a good pool for relaxing away from the parks. I think I am going to forego the waterpark option. We are going to do (as it looks now) 6 days there in very early June (Im looking at the 3rd). Any help from you veterans would be great!

welovedis
10-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi five-
While I don't know much about the new All Stars Family Suites, maybe one of those would be good with a connecting or adjoining room for your FIL? Each suite can accomodate up to 6 guests, have 2 bathrooms and a mini kitchen area. Many one of those rooms and another for your FIL?
Here's the link to the FAQ thread about those particular rooms at All Star Music:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

The pools are adequate at the value resorts, the kids usually have a blast. I don't think you'll get a pool with a slide unless you moved up to a moderate but you are still talking about getting a couple of rooms so it can add up!

POR has some trundle bed rooms but those can only fit 5 people so you'd be talking about one of those rooms plus another room for your FIL & his child.

Check out mousesavers.com for lots of info on room rates and discounts that were offered this past June, it could give you an idea of what you'd spend (about) next year.

Also, here's a link to the current menus for most of the counter service restaurants, food carts and the sit-down restaurants so you can see what the pricing looks like.
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

The dining plan may or may not be worth the additional cost, depending on how much your family eats and where you'd like to dine.
http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/packages06a.htm

Keep reading & posting, you should get lots of help (& advice) on what might work for you! :)

plutolovr
10-06-2006, 01:58 PM
FYI: Two rooms at a value resort (not suites) will not fit your family. There is a limit of 4 per room.

spiceycat
10-06-2006, 02:33 PM
the values and moderates both have double (full) size beds - not queens - if this matters to you.

five_lil_monkeys
10-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Well, dern. I dont know what the heck we are going to do then? Maybe a suite for us and a regular room for father in law? Thats going to jack up our cost. I was thinking I read you could pay a fee for one extra person. I mean....I shouldnt have to get a 2nd room b/c of my 4 year old (when it comes to the suites) And the cabins...they hold 5 or 6?

five_lil_monkeys
10-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Oops, double posted.

Allison
10-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Well, dern. I dont know what the heck we are going to do then? Maybe a suite for us and a regular room for father in law? Thats going to jack up our cost. I was thinking I read you could pay a fee for one extra person. I mean....I shouldnt have to get a 2nd room b/c of my 4 year old (when it comes to the suites) And the cabins...they hold 5 or 6?

The extra fee pertains to having more than 2 adults in the room but you still can't go over the capacity of 4.

If you are staying at a regular room in a value or a moderate other than POR you will need 3 rooms for 9 people.

You would all fit in 2 rooms at POR.

spiceycat
10-06-2006, 03:00 PM
the only thing that allows even 8 is the DVC resort - you can rent a 2-bedroom from a DVC member.

but 2 rooms at a value will be cheaper. I would go with 3 rooms - 2 for your family and one for your il.

the FW cabins allows 6.

the extra charge is for adults over 2 in the room. Not for extra people in the room.

disney does enforce their capacaity rules.

maybe you should look at offsite.

DisneyMomx7
10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Two rooms at POR will sleep 10. Assuming you don't have a problem with some of the children sleeping in the room with your FIL and his daughter that would probably be your best bet, budget wise. If you or your FIL have AAA two moderate rooms would probably be close in price to 2 value rooms at rack rate. HTH.

five_lil_monkeys
10-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Or would it be better to get the suite at ASMu for us (sans the oldest dd) and then the F.I.L. get a regular room there for him, my oldest and his dd?
That would give us enough room right?

Dallas_Lady
10-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Heather! What a small world!

Disney is pretty tough on their occupancy rules. Some may say that they were able to get by with more than the allowed amount of people, but, you'd hate to start your vacation on a bad note.

With 9 people (3 adults, 6 kids) your options are 3 rooms at a Value Resort or you could do 2 rooms at POR. In case you didn't know, POR is a moderate that allows 5 to a room (Like Allison said). I think that would be your best option for staying onsite. I've stayed at POR and we LOVED it. The rooms will be a little bigger than at a Value, so it will be a little easier for that many people to be so close together.

As for as the "bad bus situation" goes, IMO, that is really a matter of what you are comfortable with. If you are willing to wait 15-20 minutes (and sometimes more at closings) for a bus and know that you won't always get a seat, then you will be fine on the buses. If that is unacceptable for you, then you'll hate them.

-Giovanna

3for Me
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
While I normally always recommend staying on-site, I think this might be one of those times where off-site might be a better fit for your family, especially if you are on a budget. If you will have a vehicle and could find a condo close by, that might be ideal.

We are a family of five and even then, options are much more limited than with families of four or less. Believe me, I feel your pain!

Good luck in your decision.

Dallas_Lady
10-06-2006, 03:21 PM
The more I think about it, I agree with 3forme. It's hard for me to recommend offiste, but if I were in your shoes, it is probably what I would do (especially since you have transportation). Do you plan to do any EMH mornings or nights? Are you doing the dining plan? If not, you could find a nice house to rent that would give you tons of of space for everyone, and a private pool for what you would end up paying to stay onsite.

salmoneous
10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
You sound like the perfect candidate for getting an off-site timeshare. Check out the "Orlando" forum for more information.

five_lil_monkeys
10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey mama! I want to stay on site if possible (now that all you mamas got me talked into it,lol) so we have the option of not driving if we dont want to, and I do want to at least take advantage of the extra night hours. We did that when we went on our honeymoon...in '97..and we loved it! You dont think the suites would be a good option? With P.O.R Im looking at $330 a night and with ASmu, Im looking at $355.....either way, I figure f.i.l. will pay about $115. I know I cant get a discount with the suites. This is just so much to take in.

robinb
10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
:welcome: to the DIS!!!

I would also suggest 3 rooms at a value resort if you wish to stay on-site. Your FIL and his DD can have your 12-year old DD in their room. You can then have two connecting rooms for you and the rest of your kids. You and your hubby will have your own room and the other 4 monkeys can share the connecting room.

If you are really on a budget I would suggest that you book a pool home off-site. You can get a 4-6 bedroom house with a private pool for less than 3 rooms at the All Stars. I seriously considered this house: http://www.romancingthemouse.com/id46.html when I was looking at pool homes over the summer. It's a 5-beroom home with a private pool and hot tub, full kitchen, washer & dryer, very close to WDW and only $1200-$1300 for the whole week. Each bedroom can have a King-sized bed or two twins.

welovedis
10-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Heather! What a small world!

Disney is pretty tough on their occupancy rules. Some may say that they were able to get by with more than the allowed amount of people, but, you'd hate to start your vacation on a bad note.

With 9 people (3 adults, 6 kids) your options are 3 rooms at a Value Resort or you could do 2 rooms at POR. In case you didn't know, POR is a moderate that allows 5 to a room (Like Allison said). I think that would be your best option for staying onsite. I've stayed at POR and we LOVED it. The rooms will be a little bigger than at a Value, so it will be a little easier for that many people to be so close together.

As for as the "bad bus situation" goes, IMO, that is really a matter of what you are comfortable with. If you are willing to wait 15-20 minutes (and sometimes more at closings) for a bus and know that you won't always get a seat, then you will be fine on the buses. If that is unacceptable for you, then you'll hate them.

-Giovanna

Actually the other room option would be a family suite and another room at a value as opposed to 3 value rooms or 2 mod rooms.

As someone else mentioned with the mods, you are still getting double beds, not even queen size, outdoor walkways and bus service that is not getting stellar reviews either. I do have to say that during the visits we had to WDW this past year we saw POP and the All Stars had buses lined up waiting to clear the crowds at park closing (while we waited for a GF, CR & Poly bus forever) and the crowd was cleared quickly.

While the mod rooms at CBR are 340 sq ft, the ones at CSR & POR are smaller, at 314 sq ft or so. Value rooms are 260 sg ft, the family suite is 520 sq ft.

I also wonder if you'd just be better off renting a home for all of you, or getting into some other kind of timeshare/condo considering the size of your group. If you are talking about early June, then that is summer season and the rates aren't exactly cheap. :(

What about the Nick hotel (Holiday Inn Family Suites) or some other type of offiste suite hotel?

robinb
10-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey mama! I want to stay on site if possible (now that all you mamas got me talked into it,lol) so we have the option of not driving if we dont want to, and I do want to at least take advantage of the extra night hours. We did that when we went on our honeymoon...in '97..and we loved it!
Staying up extra-late in the summer is a completely different experience with 5 kids than it is as a honeymooning couple. IMO, late-night EMHs are not all they are cracked up to be. We went in late August and the lines were just as long (and even longer!) at night during EMH than during the day. Plus, the regular park closing time in the summer is 10:00 PM or later. That was late enough for my 7-year old!

The best way to tour is to choose a non-EMH (morning or evening) park for the day. Many of the on-site guests will be at the EMH park.

disneywithfive
10-06-2006, 04:09 PM
The Hotel Royal Plaza has room for 5 in each room. Two doubles and a pull out sofa. The rooms are a nice size and they have bus transportation to WDW. I don't think they have EMH options though. It's near downtown Disney.

five_lil_monkeys
10-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Im starting to think maybe you guys are right (after seeing the above mentioned house,lol) And after I posted about the EMH I started thinking....hmm, there were just the 2 of us adults then. Maybe the kids will be tuckered out by the evening anyways. See....there is a reason I came here (other than Giovanna!) I knew I couldnt figure this stuff out on my own!