PDA

View Full Version : Which Resort is OVER RATED/UNDER RATED on the DIS!

abaldacci
10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Following the thread on the over rated eateries on the Dining Forum.
Plus it's time for me to start picking a new resort to stay at next trip. :)

Lilolvr
10-04-2006, 11:16 AM
OVERRATED: The lodges...AK and WL!!

Badllamamama
10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Swolphin is/are overrated!!

weflyinhi
10-04-2006, 11:22 AM
The lodges...AK and WL!!

The WL is awesome. One of my absolute fav resorts on grounds.

Foladar
10-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Underrated definitely goes to WL/AKL for me.
Overrated ... can any Disney resort be overrated? I suppose I'd say CSR if I had to choose one.

Buzz'sBetterHalf
10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
WL, CR and POFQ are overrated IMO.
CSR is underrated.

Pooh Bear Hugs
10-04-2006, 11:37 AM
The values, they let the magic spread through all budgets. :sunny:

Terk-1
10-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Under rated: Wilderness Lodge & Beach Club

Over rated: Caribbean Beach & Pop Century

Sammie
10-04-2006, 12:29 PM
No offense intended but as to which resort is over rated or under rated is strickly opinion, based on others' opinions. :confused3

bessjlj
10-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I tend to agree, you are going to get people who love/hate every resort. :)

But, IMHO underrated: WL (I LOVE that place, it is like a second home to our family)

Overrated: Pop (not sure why it so loved over the other value resorts)

Beach and BW: Right on target...can't beat the convenience of either

Buzz2001
10-04-2006, 12:41 PM
No offense intended but as to which resort is over rated or under rated is strickly opinion, based on others' opinions. :confused3I agree.

You might as well read these threads.

Which deluxe?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1240191

Which mod?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1239741

Lewisc
10-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Over-Rated
Easy, the Grand Floridian. Rating guides, such as Mobil, rate the GF as 3*, the same as the other deluxe hotels. Disney implies the hotel is rated higher than it is. Many guests think it's a 4*, even a borderline 5*, hotel but it's not.

The hotel is themed like a 5 star hotel but it isn't one.

Sammie your post makes some sense but the GF is rated as a 3* hotel and many DIS think it's rated higher.

Under-Rated by DIS--I'd say Swan Dolphin. Many DIS don't like the hotel because it isn't run by Disney and doesn't have some of the Disney theming such as Mickey wake up calls.

The variety of restaurants is better than any Disney hotel. Fresh is regarded as the best buffet on property. blueZoo is rated as one of the best retaurants. Shula's is probably the best steakhouse on property. Fountain is great, less crowded, alternative to B&C. The Grotto pool is the second best pool on property. It's a great location. Guests can sometimes get a discounted room for about the same price as a moderate.

The rest of the Disney hotels pretty much match the ratings most of the DIS posters give the properties.

CarolA
10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Overrated: GF, Disney wants that price for THAT service? Are they kidding?

Underrated: All Stars.... Good value and better service then the GF.....

G8RFAN
10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
To the OP, you are not going to accomplish much with a thread like this. It is so subjective and so many changing variables can influence the perception of value such as time of year with crowds, changing rack rates, AP & FL discounts, construction/upgrades at the resorts, type of room, weather, personal moods, individuals' disposable income, experience with other resorts both Disney and non Disney, etc.

That said, to me GF, CBR, and WL are over rated and SSR and AKL are under rated. :crazy:

abaldacci
10-04-2006, 12:57 PM
TO all of you off topic people! I want everyone's thoughts on different resort jaded or not or I would not have posted this thread. I base alot of what I do (( buzz ) I stayed at the csr) on what people say on these boards. :thumbsup2
Thank you all.

Sammie
10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Over-Rated
Easy, the Grand Floridian. Rating guides, such as Mobil, rate the GF as 3*, the same as the other deluxe hotels. Disney implies the hotel is rated higher than it is. Many guests think it's a 4*, even a borderline 5*, hotel but it's not.

The hotel is themed like a 5 star hotel but it isn't one.

Sammie your post makes some sense but the GF is rated as a 3* hotel and many DIS think it's rated higher.

Under-Rated by DIS--I'd say Swan Dolphin. Many DIS don't like the hotel because it isn't run by Disney and doesn't have some of the Disney theming such as Mickey wake up calls.

The variety of restaurants is better than any Disney hotel. Fresh is regarded as the best buffet on property. blueZoo is rated as one of the best retaurants. Shula's is probably the best steakhouse on property. Fountain is great, less crowded, alternative to B&C. The Grotto pool is the second best pool on property. It's a great location. Guests can sometimes get a discounted room for about the same price as a moderate.

The rest of the Disney hotels pretty much match the ratings most of the DIS posters give the properties.

But my point is, it is still people's opinons. None are over rated or under rated by everyone. I could care less about the Swan and Dolphin. In fact I am so not interested I have never been in a single restuarant there. Does that make your opinion over rated. No it simply means we don't agree.

As to the Grand Floridian if there was a 6 star rating I would give it. :thumbsup2

So while I can agree that asking for other's opinions about what hotel they like and why is useful. As you might like or dislike some of the same things. But to simply list a hotel as over rated or under rated based on opinions does not serve any purpose to me.

Oh well have fun, just don't see the point.

Lewisc
10-04-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree with your last statement, I don't see how this thread is much different than other threads where people talk about their favorite resorts. The reason why a guest prefers a resort counts more than just saying a resort is over or under rated. The fact that a resort is properly rated doesn't mean a guest will like it.

You kind of prove my point about the GF. Objective rating services rate it as a 3* hotel but some members of DIS "over-rate" the hotel. DIS members, such as yourself, might like the GF hotel but you are over rating the hotel if you give it 6*. I'd say this is probably the only hotel in which DIS members rate a hotel significantly higher than objective ratings. The fact that GF is "over rated" doesn't mean people don't love the hotel.

S/D objectively meets the critera of a deluxe hotel but in general DIS rate it lower because it's not Disney. Many guests seem to prefer a "Disney" hotel with Disney theming but I'd say the hotels are under-rated by some DIS. Again just because I think it's under rated doesn't mean guests will like the hotel.

But my point is, it is still people's opinons. None are over rated or under rated by everyone. I could care less about the Swan and Dolphin. In fact I am so not interested I have never been in a single restuarant there. Does that make your opinion over rated. No it simply means we don't agree.

As to the Grand Floridian if there was a 6 star rating I would give it. :thumbsup2

So while I can agree that asking for other's opinions about what hotel they like and why is useful. As you might like or dislike some of the same things. But to simply list a hotel as over rated or under rated based on opinions does not serve any purpose to me.

Oh well have fun, just don't see the point.

klwdisney
10-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Underrated: POR Love this resort and think it's deluxe bang for the buck

Overrated: POP Couldn't wait to stay at this resort last Oct after all the positive posts. Was not to my liking and definitely preferred ASMo to POP.

*Fantasia*
10-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Overrated: any Disney Resorts (just pick which resort you least like)
Underrated: any Disney Resorts (just pick which resort you like the best)

The answers will vary widely depending on it's individual taste.

rie'smom
10-04-2006, 05:00 PM
under rated:CSR and Fort Wilderness cabins.

maxiesmom
10-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Gee wiz, why are so many people giving the OP such a hard time? If you don't want to answer the question, don't answer it. Why so many snarky comments? :confused3

over-rated-haven't found one yet :thumbsup2
under-rated-- the Contemporary. Love this resort. :love: I think the themeing is great and it feels very Disney to me, 2 complaints I have read. And you simply cannot beat walking to the Magic Kingdom!

safetymom
10-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Please watch the comments everyone or this thread will be closed.

dolphin01
10-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Overrated: any Disney Resorts (just pick which resort you least like)
Underrated: any Disney Resorts (just pick which resort you like the best)

The answers will vary widely depending on it's individual taste.Great answer!!

underrated - CSR
overrated - POFQ

WDWRC
10-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Overrated: by far.....Grand Floridian

Underrated: Boardwalk, to me it is the best resort in the Epcot area!

DisneyWorldWisher
10-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Overrated: POFQ, it was terrible.
Underrated: Yacht Club, very good!

lillygator
10-05-2006, 07:45 AM
I think this is very subjective. You are going to find people who love/hate different resorts.

I think the most overrated resort for me (from the hype on the boards) was Port Orleans. Sure it was ok, and we only stayed a weekend there and yes I would stay there again with an AP or FL resident rate if it was a last resort. But I don't think it was a fantastic as the many on the boards proclaim.

But different strokes for different folks right?

ETA: I think the most underrated is the Boardwalk. I already had the idea that I wouldn't like it before going but got a great deal over the 4th of July and decided why not. WE LOVED IT ~ scary clown and all!!

JamesMom
10-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Overated IMHO is the Grand Floridian. My new hubby & I stayed in the honeymoon suite (suite? one room? Ok...) for our Disney intimate wedding. You couldn't beat the convience - carriage for the ceremony, reception in same hotel, one word - monorail and it is absolutely beautiful with the fresh flowers everywhere and we had many a drink listening to the music. But we paid $600 a night for that room. We travel to Las Vegas often and I get a Bellagio Lake View room comped when we go, but that room goes for only ~ $300-350 and blows away the Grand Floridian in terms of amenities, service and space. We are glad we stayed there the then 4 mandatory Deluxe days for the Initmate package, but we actually much happier in the POR for the next 6 nights. If money were no object - sure, we'll stay there again. But if I am spending more than 1 days salary on a room - I think we'll pass.

Jynohn
10-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Underrated: The Ft. Wilderness cabins. I was nervous about staying there since I hadn't heard too much about them, and the whole family LOVED it there. In fact, we now try to add a couple of days there to our DVC trips because we enjoy it so much.

Overrated: The Contemporary. HATED it. We got a great deal through Shades of Green for only $78 per night in the North Garden Wing and were really shocked by the condition it was in. Dirty carpets, peeling wallpaper, broken fixtures and just a general run-down feeling. I'm glad to hear it's getting a much-needed upgrade, but Disney should be ashamed of themselves for letting it get to that point to begin with. If I was disappointed for $78 a night, I can't imagine how people felt who were paying rack rate :(

DisneyMomx7
10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Most over rated - Poly
Most under rated- CBR

Just my opinion, no flames please.

jworthy
10-05-2006, 12:16 PM
We have only stayed at 3 resorts and I would say that BC is highly overrated. I would stay at POR over BC for the same price anyday.

safetymom
10-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Most overrated- CSR
Most underrated- CBR

jjohnson
10-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Why so many snarky comments? :confused3

LOL... I love the word "snarky"

missypie
10-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Under-rated: CR - The convenience to the MK cannot be beat! And both views are great.

But it is a shame - with the general lay-out and new decor, the CR is probably the most "adult" feeling of the resorts, but it's the most convenient to the MK. It should have the ULTIMATE kid-friendly themed decor!

Lewisc
10-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Most overrated- CSR
Most underrated- CBR

Actually almost any value and moderate resort is both over rated and under rated. The difference between the resorts in those categories is far less than many people on DIS would have us believe. The main difference is theming which is nothing more than personal taste. Movies is far more popular than Music. AFAIK the only difference is the theming. It's not really fair to rate a resort based on the icons.

CSR has more amenities than other moderate resorts but I'm not sure how many guests use the health club. Buzz has some nice pictures of CSR but other people have posted nice pictures of other moderate resorts.

frank_mas
10-05-2006, 03:16 PM
You know... a better question would be to ask people to list the resorts at which they have stayed, in the order the felt was the "best value".

But even then, as everyone else said... its still just eveyone's opinions.

Some people love theming... so they're going to value that highly. Some spend lots of time in the hotel pool, so that will be it...etc.

I think the one consistent thing you read here is that you can have a fantastic time at any resort you pick. It's what you make of it that counts.

4theloveofdisney
10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
IMHO, we thought Boardwalk Villas was very overrated. We just were not impressed. :confused3

Jalva22
10-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Sorry, but I'm cracking up at all the people blasting away at the OP for setting up this thread. Yes, it's subjective, yes, all he/she's going to get are personal opinions. Well, that's no different than all the "convince me to stay at...." threads. Really, this thread is just asking the same question from a slightly different angle. The angle may make some people think about the question in a different way and end up giving us new information. So, I don't see the problem. BUT, what I like best is that most of the people who have complained about the thread have gone ahead and answered the question! :rotfl:

Personally, I've only stayed at 3 of the resorts and liked both deluxes and didn't like the value. My wife has stayed at the same mod twice and says it was "just okay." Probably just what should be expected from the 3 different tiers. We're planning a split at WL/AKL next June and I've been reading tons of glowing (subjective/full of opinion) reports about the WL. I sure HOPE it isn't overrated!

willidc
10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Over rated ---GF (and over priced)

Under rated---POR, YC, AKL

WDW LifeLong Fan
10-05-2006, 07:14 PM
One resort that you don't hear much about and I think underated, would be OKW. :thumbsup2

Luv'sTink
10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Isn't most of the post on these boards...someones opinion! Jeez, I read this thread with interest of peoples opinions.

dolphin01
10-06-2006, 05:26 AM
underrated - CSR
overrated - WL

AKLRULZ
10-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Overrated - Values, any of them
Underrated - Contemporary Resort

NancyIL
10-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Swolphin is/are overrated!!

I feel just the opposite - the Swan/Dolphin are underrated. :)

taximomfor4
10-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Overrated: GF, AKL
Underrated: WL (except the CY views, which I thought were nice but OVERrated).

PamNC
10-06-2006, 08:26 AM
it's not an easy question. It's subjective. You'll get so many different answers. No answers are right or wrong. And, people can only comment on resorts they have actually stayed in. We've stayed at CR, Poly, GF, CBR, CSR, WL, POR, Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC, All Star Music, and OKW.

I think WL is over-rated. Many people would not agree. We weren't impressed with the small, dark rooms or the small pool or the CM's. However, the lobby and grounds and outside of the hotel are breathtaking. We didn't like the boat transportation. SLOOOOOOOWWWWW.

We didn't like OKW - but I don't think it gets tons of "props" on the boards anyway.

As far as under rated - my vote would be for the Swan and Dolphin. They get a little bit of flack for not being Disney owned. We were a bit apprehensive about staying there for the first time in 2004. Boy were we pleasantly surprised! We didn't miss a bit of the magic - it has the magic and then some.

Again, this is all a matter of opinion. But it's good to read about the different points of view.

PamNC

Cookie Princess
10-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Under rated: CR - people blast this hotel for being sterile looke, but the view and walk to MK can't be beat. POR - great setting for a great price and some rooms sleep 5.

Over rated: POP - now let me say that we have had pleasant stays at the various All Stars, but we really hated POP. The rooms were noisy and the bus waits were lengthy...never again.

tweetie
10-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Overrated - AKL
Underrated - POR

G8RFAN
10-08-2006, 09:17 AM
After 35 posters with opinions, here are the results:

AKL - 3 under and 3 over
AS* - 2 under and 1 over
BC - 1 under and 1 over
BW - 2 under and 1 over (the over specifically stated BWV but so much of the resort is shared)
CBR - 2 under and 2 over
CR - 4 under and 2 over
CSR - 4 under and 2 over
Dolphin/Swan - 3 under and 1 over
FW (cabins) - 2 under
GF - 7 over and 1 under
OKW - 1 under 1 over
Poly - 1 over
POR - 4 under
POFQ - 3 over
POP - 1 under and 5 over
SSR - 1 under
WL - 5 under and 5 over
YC - 2 under

The interesting thing is that POR and POFQ are polarized opposites in perceived value. In GF case, the only way to go when you are at the top is down. Otherwise the need for different theming is clearly evident. :goodvibes

Ziva
10-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Underrated- Port Orleans French Quarter

Overrated- Old Key West

Jason71
10-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Overrated--CR (upkeep has been lacking, although I think opinion of the CR has been falling on the board the past year or two, so maybe not as overrated as it used to be)

Underrated--CSR (doesn't get a lot of love, but I think it is amazing if you don't mind the walking)

LoraJ
10-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Overrated: Grand Floridian, while I haven't stayed there, I can stay at nicer hotels in NYC for less money.

Underrated: ASMu & CBR

IWISHFORDISNEY
10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Over- BC just didnt do it for me but loved BW
Under- AKL deluxe at a low rate.

Cool-Beans
10-08-2006, 02:52 PM
I think it depends on what you like. The only hotel that I think is gushed about on the DIS that really gets folks whipped up into a frenzy is the Poly.

The Poly is a great hotel, but I think a lot of people take what is said around here to heart, and expect it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It just isn't that great.

But that seems to be changing. I think the new hotel that is going to be the DIS favorite is the BWI...but I could be wrong. :)

Cee
10-09-2006, 06:34 AM
I've stayed just about everywhere and have not been disappointed yet. I
suggest trying them all and then deciding which are your favorites. It's a
great excuse for going back. As if any of us needed an excuse............... ;)

maxiesmom
10-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I've stayed just about everywhere and have not been disappointed yet. I
suggest trying them all and then deciding which are your favorites. It's a
great excuse for going back. As if any of us needed an excuse............... ;)

That sounds like a plan to me!!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

dzneelvr
10-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Over: Poly. Although we love the Ohana Meal
Under: ASMo. our family fave. no complaints at all after 10+ years
:thumbsup2