PDA

View Full Version : contemporary hotel arcade leaving

slg4crzn
10-04-2006, 09:56 AM
On a recent trip to Disney World I was discussing with employees about all the renovations going on and was told that rumors are the arcade will be moved to the concourse area and will not have many games. For all those that enjoy the arcade like we do I ask them to write to the hotel and express your concerns. Rumor is that they want a 5 Star restaurant to replace the arcade and eating area. The arcade is one of the reasons we pick that hotel. Wasn't Walt all about family and fun not going to a fancy place to eat for adults????

spiceycat
10-04-2006, 10:41 AM
yes families made WDW.

but I think WDW is trying to change the Cont into a convention hotel.

in this case I think they are missing the boat. business workers don't take their families on conventions mostly. but they aren't generally at WDW - I think more families will be coming than WDW has planned on at this point.

Lynne M
10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Yep, Walt was all about families and fun, but for some families (like mine), it'd be much more fun to eat at a nice restaurant than to play arcade games. Nothing against your point of view at all, but everyone has different tastes. :)

WI_DisneyFan
10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Rumor is that they want a 5 Star restaurant to replace the arcade and eating area.
Seriously? A 5-star restaurant? Everything I've heard up until now is that the Concourse Steakhouse will be moving down there. While I'm a huge fan of the Concourse Steakhouse, I certainly wouldn't consider it "5-Star" quality. I'm not saying you are fibbing to us, but it surprises me that the CM would tell you this.

WI_DisneyFan
10-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Seriously? A 5-star restaurant? Everything I've heard up until now is that the Concourse Steakhouse will be moving down there. While I'm a huge fan of the Concourse Steakhouse, I certainly wouldn't consider it "5-Star" quality. I'm not saying you are fibbing to us, but it surprises me that the CM would tell you this.
One more quick thought on this. Isn't this what the California Grill is for? That is the CR's "upscale" restaurant, and the Concourse Steakhouse is its more moderate restaurant. I'm not sure if they would want more than one upscale restaurant at the CR. Of course, I could be completely wrong on this, too, since I'm not "in the know".

susanc
10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
On a recent trip to Disney World I was discussing with employees about all the renovations going on and was told that rumors are the arcade will be moved to the concourse area and will not have many games. For all those that enjoy the arcade like we do I ask them to write to the hotel and express your concerns. Rumor is that they want a 5 Star restaurant to replace the arcade and eating area. The arcade is one of the reasons we pick that hotel. Wasn't Walt all about family and fun not going to a fancy place to eat for adults????

When I used to go to the Contemp Arcade when I was young (70's, 80's, etc) I remember the arcade being huge! It was so much fun (wasnt there even a shooting arcade in there?). It seemed much smaller when I went 1.5 yrs ago, just not the same anymore. In anycase, I think they should make it bigger again as opposed to getting rid of it. But I also think they should bring back the penny arcade to main street, lol.

monorailsilver
10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I thought the arcade was bigger too years ago & then later on in the late 80's early 90's it looked so much smaller.

Daryl
10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Maybe this is part of a plan to slightly shift the profile of the entire resort. After all, the GF has 2 upscale restaurants and one 5 star, so if you consider the other CR upgrades; remodeled rooms, flat screen TVs, the rumor may be on target ;)

becky1960
10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
There was a post not to long ago about all of this, CR north wing is being torn down for a DVC wing and there are major changes going on including arcade and a new resturant. There were also some artist sketches posted somewhere.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
10-04-2006, 01:59 PM
On a recent trip to Disney World I was discussing with employees about all the renovations going on and was told that rumors are the arcade will be moved to the concourse area and will not have many games. For all those that enjoy the arcade like we do I ask them to write to the hotel and express your concerns. Rumor is that they want a 5 Star restaurant to replace the arcade and eating area. The arcade is one of the reasons we pick that hotel. Wasn't Walt all about family and fun not going to a fancy place to eat for adults???? When I was at the Contemporary in August a Cast Member told me the arcade is moving to the Fantasia store, which means Bay View Gifts will now be selling all the merchandise. I also think from pictures I saw they plan to see some items on the 4th floor, not 100% sure about. Was going by pictures of artist renderings they had up. Anyway I just thought that everyone should that the new arcade will not be beside Chef Mickey's or the Concourse Steakhouse.

ReallyFunMom
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
That would be a shame! We were there this weekend before and after dinner at the CG. Kids loved it and I thought it was reasonably priced. We even have APs to DQ but the kids kept asking to go back to the arcade where they could earn tickets. I told them they had to wait until the next trip so I'm in big trouble if it changes.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
10-04-2006, 02:50 PM
That would be a shame! We were there this weekend before and after dinner at the CG. Kids loved it and I thought it was reasonably priced. We even have APs to DQ but the kids kept asking to go back to the arcade where they could earn tickets. I told them they had to wait until the next trip so I'm in big trouble if it changes. They are not moving the arcade until the Food & Fun Center closes, at least that's how I assume they will do it. This will happen sometime next year, just not sure when. As for what games they will have? I assume they will make room for the prizes counter & have games with tickets, because I don't see them getting rid of it after having it for so many years.

spiceycat
10-04-2006, 03:40 PM
There was a post not to long ago about all of this, CR north wing is being torn down for a DVC wing and there are major changes going on including arcade and a new resturant. There were also some artist sketches posted somewhere.

WDW changed it mind. Now rumor has it AKL will be first. (maybe because of the dis....) anyway the Cont DVC is on the back burner.

the north wing is surpose to be rehab starting soon.

nevertez
10-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Yea from August 25-1sep I stayed at the contemporary, not many people were there even during peak hours or inclimate weathers days. I remember when I use to go camping at fort wilderness and take the boat over. The Gaming Center had a shooting arcade with a wizard that turned into a skeleton, It was a scary but a lot of fun. I remember it being a lot bigger too although everything in disney was giagantic when you were 6 years old. Well Fare thee well Arcade!

iloverags2
10-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I suppose this means they will be taking out the pool tables. :sad1: That totally bums me out as this is something DH and I do on each trip to WDW, no matter where we are staying.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
10-04-2006, 11:13 PM
I suppose this means they will be taking out the pool tables. :sad1: That totally bums me out as this is something DH and I do on each trip to WDW, no matter where we are staying. I don't know if anyone has seen my 2 previous replies to this thread, but I am going to say again the arcade is not going away forever. It's moving into the Fantasia store on the 4th floor. Yes it may not seem like the old arcade & I admit I think where it is now is a great location. However I see that the bulk of the responses are that it's going away forever, when it's just moving to a new location. Plus maybe we should give it a chance to see what games they bring up to the new location, before you start saying how bad it will be next year.

Cookie Princess
10-07-2006, 08:51 AM
CR has the biggest arcade on property and I know DH and DS would be bummed if it gets any smaller! They loved it. :thumbsup2

mlholster
10-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Does anyone remember the movie theater in the arcade? This would be in the 70's. It was located back by where the air hockey is now. I think thye showed Disney movies, of course. I remember my kids loved it for an afternoon break. I am not happy they might move it, it always seemed HUGE, larger than life, just part of the magic feeling :confused3
Lynn in IL.

vonpluto
10-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Does anyone remember the movie theater in the arcade? This would be in the 70's. It was located back by where the air hockey is now. I think thye showed Disney movies, of course. I remember my kids loved it for an afternoon break. I am not happy they might move it, it always seemed HUGE, larger than life, just part of the magic feeling :confused3
Lynn in IL.

Yup, remember it well. :thumbsup2
Last flick we saw there was Song of the South in 87-88.
Last time I looked, it was still there, but no longer used. :sad2:

vonpluto
10-07-2006, 10:16 AM
On a recent trip to Disney World I was discussing with employees about all the renovations going on and was told that rumors are the arcade will be moved to the concourse area and will not have many games.

This is one of the points overlooked in all the Who-Ha about what going to happen at the CR. :listen:

Even if the new arcade takes over the entire Fantasia/Sundrie area, it will still be less than half the size of the F&FC. :furious:

Bad idea. :sad2:

popcorn::

LoraJ
10-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Lynn in IL.

Yes!
I was just going to post about this.

I loved the theater. Back then the arcade was mostly pinball machines and air hockey. I was 7yo at the time and would sit in the theater and watch Herbie The Love Bug or whatever else they had on.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
10-07-2006, 12:35 PM
This is one of the points overlooked in all the Who-Ha about what going to happen at the CR. :listen:

Even if the new arcade takes over the entire Fantasia/Sundrie area, it will still be less than half the size of the F&FC. :furious:

Bad idea. :sad2:

popcorn:: Actually from what I was told the Sundries store is staying, although with WDW you never know what will happen. Also it makes sense moving the arcade away from where it use to be. If you were to be having dinner at the new location of the Concourse Steakhouse, would you want to see a bunch of kids running in & out of the arcade & hearing all the noises with some of the games? Plus my gut feeling is they will be putting a bunch of the tables & etc where the arcade use to be, so that is why they need to move it. So it's a logical reason to move if you look at it from my view.

vonpluto
10-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Actually from what I was told the Sundries store is staying, although with WDW you never know what will happen.
So, if the Sundrie store remains, the largest (and best) resort arcade becomes something akin to the size of Y&BC or PO, and maybe even smaller than DXL. oy geWalt :sad1:

Also it makes sense moving the arcade away from where it use to be. If you were to be having dinner at the new location of the Concourse Steakhouse, would you want to see a bunch of kids running in & out of the arcade & hearing all the noises with some of the games? Plus my gut feeling is they will be putting a bunch of the tables & etc where the arcade use to be, so that is why they need to move it. So it's a logical reason to move if you look at it from my view.

IMHO, leave the arcade where it is, move Chef Mickeys Zoo to the first floor and return some civility to the Grand Canyon Concourse. :rolleyes1

But, Iger does not sanction any of my ideas. :lmao:

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
So, if the Sundrie store remains, the largest (and best) resort arcade becomes something akin to the size of Y&BC or PO, and maybe even smaller than DXL. oy geWalt :sad1:

IMHO, leave the arcade where it is, move Chef Mickeys Zoo to the first floor and return some civility to the Grand Canyon Concourse. :rolleyes1

But, Iger does not sanction any of my ideas. :lmao: Once again I say it's a smart idea to move the arcade, because they need the extra room for the Concourse Steakhouse, if you have been there before & know how big the arcade room is, it makes the most sense. As for the arcade getting smaller, let's see what it will look like before we pass judgement on it.

Finally if your going to move Chef Mickey's to the 1st floor, where are you going to put the arcade? It would still have to move because Chef Mickey's needs a lot room for all tables of customers they get each morning, afternoon & evening. So to me that is a really stupid idea, moving Chef Mickey's because where they have it now is the perefct location.

justalocal
09-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Actually from what I was told the Sundries store is staying, although with WDW you never know what will happen. Also it makes sense moving the arcade away from where it use to be. If you were to be having dinner at the new location of the Concourse Steakhouse, would you want to see a bunch of kids running in & out of the arcade & hearing all the noises with some of the games? Plus my gut feeling is they will be putting a bunch of the tables & etc where the arcade use to be, so that is why they need to move it. So it's a logical reason to move if you look at it from my view.

Ok, I don't if anyone will read this, but here goes, the arcade is now on the 4th floor where fantasia used to be. The sundries shop is still there. The hours for the arcade are 8am to 11:30 PM. They are no longer 24 hours. The gift store is being moved to the middle of the concourse with huge walls capped by two giant mickey ears. The arcade can't really be seen. You come off the monorail and walk right by it. They have 1/3 of the games in 1/3 of the space. Yes the room looks nice, but it's not the same. As for the steakhouse yes its moving downstairs where the arcade used to be. Its getting a re-vamped (i.e higher priced) menu. Where the food center part was is going to be a giant bar/lounge that runs the width of the room. The contemporary had a restuarant on the second floor where all the convention guests go. They should have put the stupid restaurant there and left the arcade alone... 33 years of history down the drain. I just don't see how a smaller arcade will handle all the kids from the new dvc on rainy afternoon...maybe they'll have them go drink at the bar! Walt was a shrew business man, but somehow most of the changes going on at Disney have him spinning in his grave! Then again this is just my opinion.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
09-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Ok, I don't if anyone will read this, but here goes, the arcade is now on the 4th floor where fantasia used to be. The sundries shop is still there. The hours for the arcade are 8am to 11:30 PM. They are no longer 24 hours. The gift store is being moved to the middle of the concourse with huge walls capped by two giant mickey ears. The arcade can't really be seen. You come off the monorail and walk right by it. They have 1/3 of the games in 1/3 of the space. Yes the room looks nice, but it's not the same. As for the steakhouse yes its moving downstairs where the arcade used to be. Its getting a re-vamped (i.e higher priced) menu. Where the food center part was is going to be a giant bar/lounge that runs the width of the room. The contemporary had a restuarant on the second floor where all the convention guests go. They should have put the stupid restaurant there and left the arcade alone... 33 years of history down the drain. I just don't see how a smaller arcade will handle all the kids from the new dvc on rainy afternoon...maybe they'll have them go drink at the bar! Walt was a shrew business man, but somehow most of the changes going on at Disney have him spinning in his grave! Then again this is just my opinion.Actually what you posted is old news. The arcade has been on the 4th floor where the Fantasia store use to be since mid April. I even got to see it in person last month and while it was not the same as the old location, I thought the game selection was not that bad.

Also the new restaurant replacing the Food & Fun Center is going to be called the Waive and is going to be completely different then the Concourse Steakhouse. It is also set to open in April 2008.