PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Disneyland - expected it to be small & crowded but did NOT expect rude CMs

Sue88UK
09-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi

Did not know which board to put this on so decided on this one.

We were in Hong Kong for 5 weeks from 17 July to 22 August visiting friends and family and are Disney fans. We have been to both Disney parks in the USA and Paris many times. We stayed at the Hollywood Hotel on our first two nights in Hong Kong which was a lovely looking hotel the rooms were a good size and comfortable. On the last two nights we stayed at the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel which is very much like the Grand Floridian in style. This was a beautiful hotel and again rooms were a good size for the four of us and comfortable - particularly the bed.

With a little research we had expected the park in Hong Kong to be small, crowded because of the holidays, rude and queue jumping mainlanders and the weather to be hot. All these expectations were fulfilled.

However, we did NOT expect to encounter rude CMs.

On our second to last day in Hong Kong we just entered Adventureland from Main Street where there is a stall to the right of the entrance. We wanted fast passes for the Lion King show and asked the girl at the store for directions, she pointed it out to us. Now the girl was not busy because there was no one else about, she was holding a little fan to her face which I don't blame her because of the heat but apparently they are not allowed to do this. Anyway because my children pin trade and she had a lanyard around her, I glanced at the pins on her lanyard. She immediately held up the lanyard and said in NOT a very friendly voice "Did you want to see this? Why don't you ask?! I feel embarassed if you look at me like that!!" Imagine my shock!! Now I'm a woman of 42 and with two kids in tow - why would she think I was staring at anything other than her lanyard?!!! I was so shocked by what she said and her attitude that I didn't know how to react, I just turned around and walked away. I really should have said something to her.

Anyway, the more I thought about it the more uncomfortable I felt. She was really accusing me of doing something nasty. I went to City Hall and told a CM about my experience. The nasty CM's name was Mandy. The CM in City Hall was sympathetic but she did not write a report. She said that Mandy must be having a bad day, but I said that was no excuse to speak to a guest that way! She said she hoped the experience did not spoil my day but I said of course it had otherwise I would not be standing in front of her.

I told her I met some CMs in Florida last summer where they were sent for training. I know that they are the lucky ones and that they cannot send everyone there to be trained. Maybe because of this I was expecting most of the CMs to be more like the ones in the other Disney Parks.

Hong Kong Disneyland should train their CMs on better service attitude and also not to be afraid to speak to mainlanders when they are clearly queue jumping and acting in a non sociable manner. I saw an incident where a CM just let a mainlander queue jump.

On the last day of our stay, we decided to stay by the pool at the Disneyland Hotel. I noticed that the lifeguards by the pool looked so bored. They have a slide and they have a lifeguard at the top of it. The slide has a red light and green light. Obviously when the light is on green you can slide down the water slide. Now although the lifeguard is there, I watched him and he was NOT looking whether we were going down when the light is on green or red, in fact he was not looking at us at all. There were young children in that queue. I was a little shocked by this.

I will visit HK Disneyland again but not in the near future. I will return when there are more attractions and hope by then the mainlanders have learnt more social skills - they catch on very quickly. I did not see any spitting at all. And the CMs - maybe Disney should give them more training or pay them more... :confused3

pumba
09-24-2006, 01:31 PM
oh wow......how exciting to go to HongKong......is it anything like Disney World? What are the restaurants like there....do they do American foods as well as nation foods......thanks for taking the time to tell us about the CMS there too

serendipity
09-24-2006, 06:32 PM
what a shame! Although, I can't say that I'm that suprised...how can they understand disney magic, if they have never been here?

Sue88UK
09-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi Pumba

Yes they have a burger place and also in the Royal Banquet Hall (self service) they have a steak and grilled chicken counter. Food selections aren't that great at DL Hong Kong.