PDA

View Full Version : Eating healthy on a budget

tinkspark
09-24-2006, 10:00 AM
I would love to be able to join WW but I just can not afford it at this time. On a good week my budget allows for me to spend up to 20 dollars on food. But this is not always the case, so I end up eating a lot of ramen noodles and PB&J. Anyone been in this situation? Anyone have any tips, recipies, ideas on how to eat healthier on a tiny budget?

Fall1
09-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Some cheaper ideas I always use are: eggs, egg whites, tuna, oatmeal, salad - buy lettuce, tomato, carrots, etc. individually and make yourself, whichever fresh fruit is on sale.

mangokitty92262
03-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Beans can be a very good choice. Just don't oversalt them. I cook mine in a crockpot. I prefer pinto or black, sometimes red (kidney) is good. On a crazy day, I make "diversity" beans - throw a bunch of different kinds of beans in the pot and let them learn to live together.

anniet
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Whole grain breads may cost more, but will fill you up more than white breads, so you'll eat less (or at least feel full on what you do eat)

I buy a lot of beans, a lot of tuna (on sale for $1 or less per can and stock up) and stock up on the frozen veggie sales too.

I also have a saying, you can pay a little more now at the grocery store or pay a lot more later in the doctor's office!

DawnM
03-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Here are some frugal meal ideas:

oatmeal (the kind you cook yourself)

brown rice
barley
quinoa
lentils

You may have to cook a little more, but they will not only fill you up more, but they will make you feel a lot better than ramen (very unhealthy).

I personally would budget for fruits and veggies in addition to the above grains.

You don't have to eat meat. I went for a long time without it and felt great! Also, quinoa has loads of protein.

Dawn

TammyNC
03-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions...I'm also needing to get back to eating healthy without killing our budget.