PDA

View Full Version : Attention South Carolina and Georgia Cruisers!!

RellingTwin
11-08-2001, 06:01 PM
I am putting together a DIS meet at the Disney Hilton Head Resort for the weekend of Pesidents Day. Feb 16-17! Call and make your reservations today! Studios are 105/nt 2BR 165/nt.
Please let me know if you can come.

Dave_from_Marietta
11-08-2001, 06:07 PM
Sounds like fun! What's the deposit deadline?

RellingTwin
11-08-2001, 06:40 PM
When I booked I just gave 1 night's rent as a deposit (on my Disney Credit Card). So I did not listen to the deposit bit too well, sorry. I think you have two weeks to send in the deposit, if doing it by mail.

Tluvs2talk
11-08-2001, 09:33 PM
Hi Mary,
I sent you a private message. I am going to call tomorrow and see if we can get a room. I will let you know if we do.

Teri

ruvidu
11-09-2001, 07:21 AM
Mary.
17th is our anniversary and we are usually in Charleston for the Wildlife Expo but:
This sounds like a nice change. I will talk to Better Half and see what she says.
Russ

natsmom125
11-09-2001, 07:57 AM
Mary....

Sounds like fun. Unless we are in WDW..which we try to do when Natalie is out of school..
we'll be there.

And we don't even have to worry about a room.........................

Phyllis
:cool:

"Ginger"
11-09-2001, 09:43 AM
That sounds like fun, I'm going to check the dates to see if we can make it. Phyllis you'll have to stay home that week. LOL

Beth11
11-09-2001, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Mary for organizing this DIS Meet! Sounds like great fun!

We'll be there!! We may or may not stay in HH since it's just a 40 minute drive! We have an obligation for Sunday afternoon.

Anyway, keep the information coming!!!

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Beth11

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc
Can you tell I'm excited!!!!???

SCDizneyDawn
11-09-2001, 05:30 PM
hi, I am also very intrested! I am temporarily in Beaufort which is only 40 min up the road, so we may or may not stay also.
Keep us up to date on the plans!
Dawn
DVC @ BWV Oct 00
Wonder Dec 01
DizneyDawn@aol.com

RellingTwin
11-09-2001, 05:40 PM
I just got off the phone with DHHIR. I had heard there were some great rates to be found and I am glad I did. By joining the Disney Club we will be getting a 2BR for the same price as a Studio!

I am so glad you guys are interested!

For those of you who are already nearby (NatsMom125, Beth11 and SCDizneyDawn) you have NO EXCUSE! You MUST come LOL!

I will post updates as we get closer to the weekend!

Tluvs2talk
11-09-2001, 06:49 PM
Hi Mary,
We just made our reservations. we check in Fri Feb 15th and check out Monday Feb 18th. We just got our Disney Club new offers in the mail yesterday and were able to book a 1 bedroom villa for $89.00 a night . The 2 bedroon villa was around $115.00 with tax. You do not need the coupon but do need the code. You also must have a valid Disney Club Card. If you are a Disney Club Card holder and have not received your new info you can e-mail me at Tluvs2talk@aol.com and I will give you the code. There are limited rooms available at this rate. See you there. It does say on offer that coupon is not required for redemption-provide membership card at check-in.

Teri :D

Tluvs2talk
11-10-2001, 04:30 PM
Bump

Dave_from_Marietta
11-11-2001, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Tluvs2talk

We just got our Disney Club new offers in the mail yesterday and were able to book a 1 bedroom villa for $89.00 a night . The 2 bedroon villa was around $115.00 with tax. You do not need the coupon but do need the code. You also must have a valid Disney Club Card.

Thanks for the tip, Teri. I joined the Disney Club and the savings I got for this one stay at Hilton Head pays for itself. We'll be checking in on Friday and out on Sunday.

Tluvs2talk
11-12-2001, 05:59 PM
Dave_from_Marietta,
I'm glad you were able to book a room. We, hubby and I look forward to meeting you. We will see you in Hilton Head.

Teri

"Ginger"
11-12-2001, 06:14 PM
We could use a little mid winter break in a warmer area. I've talked DH into it and I also found my old Magic Kingdom Club card to call and get a new Disney Club Card at a discounted rate. Now I was wondering, I am a DVC member, does anyone know if we would get the same discounted rates.
I'll pack the cruisin blender and restock the travel bar. YAHOO!

Thanks and I hope you don't mind us Marylander butting in for some "Dis'er" fun.
Ging.:D:bounce:

RellingTwin
11-13-2001, 05:48 AM
Ginger! I am so excited you are coming to HH! To answer your question, no, DVC members do not get the discounted rates:(
I did what Dave did, I joined the Disney Club to get the discount. It was well worth it!

Beth11
11-13-2001, 07:07 AM
Oh, I'm getting so excited! This is going to be great! It's wonderful to see everyone making plans and sure Ginger... it'll be great to have you there. It really doesn't matter WHERE you live!!!

And Phyllis... here's our chance to finally meet... Can't you do to WDW another time?? :o LOL!!!

This will be a great way to deal with the after holidays "blues."

Beth11
:D :D

RellingTwin
11-13-2001, 06:47 PM
Has anyone besides Phyllis and I been to HH before?
I think we should take over Big Merggies Dan for our DIS Meet!
Ginger there is even a place for your blender!!!

Tluvs2talk
11-13-2001, 07:11 PM
Hi Mary,
I've been to The Disney resort at Hilton Head at least 6 times. Murggies Den sounds good, if they will let us meet there. Disney's Beach house is also a good place for a meeting.

Teri

RellingTwin
11-13-2001, 07:35 PM
Teri...YES,YES The BEACH HOUSE!!! Great idea! Last year when we went in Feb we were the only ones there!Do you remember what time it closes? What would be a good time for everyone to meet there?
We are checking in on Sat. but plan on getting there early (before noon) so we can have to whole day.

Tluvs2talk
11-13-2001, 08:12 PM
Hi Mary,
I believe the beach house closes at 6:00 during the Winter months. I will check and verify that time. I will post a definite time when I know for sure. I think that is a good spot because there is plenty of room inside and out. It will probably be pretty desserted in Feb.

Teri

Dave_from_Marietta
11-13-2001, 09:00 PM
I haven't been to the HH resort, but the Beach House sounds nice during the day. I read that is closes at 6, though. Is the Live Oak Lodge an option for the evening?

Beth11
11-14-2001, 05:36 AM
I've been going to HHI off and on my entire life for beaching, shopping and day trips. It's a wonderful island!!!

I have never been to the Disney Resort but trust all of you to make our plans. I'm game for whatever you all choose. Please let me know if there is something that needs to be checked out in person. It's just a short drive from Savannah and I'll be happy to do some leg work, if needed. I was just there yesterday at the Outlet Stores doing a little Christmas shopping!

Beth11

:cool: :cool:

Tluvs2talk
11-14-2001, 01:05 PM
Hi Everyone.
I found a site that has great pictures of Hilton head. It shows the rooms, beach house , Murggies Den, The pool are etc. I thought you might want to have a look. There are also some great cruise pictures on this site. http://hometown.aol.com/ILuvDVC/ILuvDVC.html

Teri

"Ginger"
11-14-2001, 02:11 PM
I just called and was told the HH is completely booked for that weekend. I asked to be placed on a waiting list and I was told to just keep calling back. I will keep calling.

Teri I just looked at the pictures and now I really want to go. Thanks for the view.

"Ginger"
11-14-2001, 03:40 PM
O.K. strike the last post. I called again and got a new CM and she said that the last CM was looking at Vero Beach. We are booked to join you on Feb 15,16, 17 leaving on 18. We got a 2 bedrooms.
See you all there.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

RellingTwin
11-14-2001, 04:45 PM
Great pictures!

Ginger...you had me worried there for a min. So glad you called back!

Another option we have for our meet (if the weather is too cold or if rainy) is Big Murggies den. We can call that "Plan B";)

I also know that the winter is when they re-do the pools. Last year the Resort pool was closed the first time we stayed (in Jan) and the POol House was closed the 2nd time (Feb). I do not think they re-do the pools Every year. The good news is there is always at least 1 pool opened.

SCDizneyDawn
11-14-2001, 05:57 PM
Hi,

I also can do leg work if it is needed. I have local phone access to Hilton Head (it is how I access AOL) , and I will also be happy to make any phone calls if needed!
I am so excited to actually have the chance to meet some fellow DIS people!
I have stayed at the resort once, and it was during the winter also! I never went to the beach house, so I am intrested to see that.

Dawn

RellingTwin
11-14-2001, 06:12 PM
OK Dawn and Beth...you two can pick up the KEG!!!:p :p :p

What do you all think of going out to dinner together? Last trip we went to a few places. The Oyster Factory, The Big Bambo, and a Pizza Place (can not think of the name),and Outback.We also tried the place just outside the resort and it was NOT good!

Beth and Dawn...what are your favorite places to eat at HH?

Since we have a kitchen we always bring breakfast and lunch stuff with us then go out for dinner.

Who has kids coming with them and what are the ages? Mine are 8y/o DS and 9y/o DD.

Dave_from_Marietta
11-14-2001, 07:33 PM
If we go out to dinner, there should be some good, local seafood involved.

<b>Or...</b> how about a <i><b>Low Country Boil</b>???</i>

Tluvs2talk
11-14-2001, 08:23 PM
I totally agree with Dave_from_Marietta about seafood. Hilton head has an abundance of Seafood Restaurants. maybe Natsmom can suggest a great place since she lives there. If it is rainy during the day, the pool house has the big indoor area with fireplace and plenty of sitting areas. Murgee's den in the oak lodge also has a fireplace, but not as much room. I am going to call and find out if the pool will be open. It is heated. There is also a huge Jacuzzi. They also have a bbq pit right outside of murgee's Den, I don't know if it is for guest use or the resorts, I will find that out too.

Teri

"Ginger"
11-15-2001, 09:56 AM
Hi All, We have a little girl named Ashley she will be 5 on Jan 20. My DH's birthday is the 10th of that month.
Dave what is a low country boil? Is that like shrimp boil? If so I'll bring the Old Bay seasoning. Who's got a big pot? Should we request buildings close to the pools area? We could link our ressies together to be close to each other, maybe the same building.

Are there outdoors grilling areas? Will we have maid service everyday? Wonder if we could get a dinner cruise?

I LOVE VACATIONS. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Tluvs2talk
11-15-2001, 12:14 PM
Hi Ginger,
Thanks for the info and for calling. The security gate is right before you enter the resort. There is a button you push to talk with the CM's at the front desk. I guess we will have to get a list of names of people attending but not staying at the Resort. We can finalize a list closer to the February meet. I don't know if they have a dinner cruise, but I know they have different boat cruises that tour different islands. In my previous post I stated that they have a bbq pit located right off of Murggie's Den, I guess I can e-mail through the link you gave and find out. Do you know what building you are in?

Teri

Tluvs2talk
11-15-2001, 12:54 PM
Hi All,

I just sent e-mail to the link Ginger provided beloe is my e-mail. I will post reply when I receive it.

Teri
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi,
I am coming to Disney's Hilton Head resort along with several other families for a DIS meet, February 16th and 17th 2002. What I need to know is if there are places for outdoor grilling? I know there is a bbq pit located off Murgee's Den, is this available for use by guest? Will the pool be open in Feb at resort and beach house? We were also told there was a place for meetings, Where is it located and is there a charge for use. One more question, are there any dinner cruises that leave nearby?

Thank you
Teri

Dave_from_Marietta
11-15-2001, 02:11 PM
"Ginger", a Low Country Boil is a coastal Carolina/Georgia tradition equivalent to a backyard barbeque. There are many variations to the recipe, but the basic ingrediants are shrimp, smoked sausage or kielbasa, corn on the cob, red potatoes, spices, and just about anything else you might want to throw in the pot. Everything is boiled together in a big pot over a propane burner out in your barbeque area. (I could borrow the appropriate hardware from some folks at church.) It's a lot of fun! And we'd definitely need your Old Bay!

Hygiene99
11-15-2001, 03:27 PM
lots of questions , ok witch airport would we fly into ??
2 how far is it from the airport ?
rental car or shuttle and
Can we come jen would die if i surprised her with a little weekend jont to sc we r dvc member but with rates like that better off renting....

well Rellingtwin ????
heard it is very nice there ......
Peter. :confused:

RellingTwin
11-15-2001, 04:27 PM
Peter, I belive you could fly int Savanha Ga (about 40 min from HH) or Charleston (about 2 hours from HH). I think Air Trans (www.airtrans.com) has some cheap fares. A rental car would be a must. How wonderful if you can make it!!!
Another idea about dinner. HH has a special deal where a chef prepares dinner for your group in one of the "Grand Villas. I saw the blurb about it on our last trip there but we were not interested at the time. The is a report on the DVC board about this. I will try to find it and put it here. I think it was about 40.00 per person which is about what dinner out would cost. I also think you are premitted to BYOB.

Ginger no daily maid service:(
A Low Country Boil would be great fun too!

On a previous trip NatsMom (Phyllis) came over to visit us. I just let the front desk know she was coming.

Hygiene99
11-15-2001, 04:46 PM
we R there Garanteed , just got word from dreams unlimited and the spring time magic rates came out , for our 7 day cruise .. Saving us $950.00
so now we can go to our home away from home in H H
just told jen she is very excited....
see u all then peter & jen
love the idea of the chef , mary that would be awesome
the boil is ok ... :D :smooth:

RellingTwin
11-15-2001, 05:00 PM
Info on Dinner at the resort
A Private Affair is wonderful! Here's how it works: You call the resort ahead of your visit to make a reservation. Chef Gordon Holmes will call you back and discuss the menu with you. He has suggested menus of South Carolina lowcountry specialties that you can chose from, but you can ask for whatever you want.
The meal includes an appetizer, an entree, and dessert and a different wine with each of the three courses.

We just selected our dinner from his suggested menus. We had the Dafuskie Island crab cakes; the grilled shrimp and pork tenderloin, peas and whipped potatoes; and cherries jubilee. We had a couple dietary restrictions, and he was happy to work around them.

You can participate in the preparation of the meal as much as you want. For example, you can go shopping with him if you want, and you can help him cook, if you like. We were celebrating our anniversary at this meal, so we pretty much let him do the work. But, since we both like to cook, we observed intently, and asked lots of questions, which was all fine with him!

At the appointed time and day of our Private Affair, we went to Grand Villa #2822 at the resort, and Chef Gordon was there getting the dinner ready. The dining area at the Grand Villa was decorated in candlelight, and on the table was formally set. The chef himself is a very gracious and interesting fellow, and since it was just my DH and I, we enjoyed talking with him. He is a French-trained chef, and we got lots of great cooking tips from him. At the end of the meal, he gives you copies of the recipes of what he prepared for you.

The cost of this is $120 for two, and $40 per person for groups larger than two, which we thought was pretty good for having a meal prepared by your own private chef for a night in a Grand Villa! And, although we tried, the chef did not accept a gratuity.

RellingTwin
11-15-2001, 05:29 PM
A Private Afffair Menu Suggestions from Chef Gordon Holmes

Appetizer

Field Greens with Mushroom Camembert Crostini
Recommended wine: Sauvignon Blanc. Alternative wine: Pinot Grigio
OR
Quesadillas with Smoked Oysters, Havarti and Roasted Red Peppers
Recommended: Champagne. Alternative: Sauvignon Blanc.
OR
Daufuskie Island Crab Cakes with Devil's Elbow Dressing
Recommended: Chardonnay. Alt: Sauvignon Blanc

Entree

Grilled Salmon with Mushroons, Sweet Onions and Pinot Noir Sauce; Glazed, Parslied Carrots; Wild Rice Pilaf.
Recommended: Pinot Noir. Alt.: Zinfandel
OR
Lowcountry Barbecued Shrimp and Pork Tenderloin; Horseradish Whipped Potatoes; Sauteed Spinach with Garlic Chips.
Recommended: Zinfandel. Alt.: Pinot Grigio
OR
Grilled, Marinated Tenderloin of Beef with Red Wine and Shallot Reduction; Lady's Island Peas; Double Baked Sweet Potato Wedges.
Recommended: Sauvignon Blanc. Alt.: Chardonnay

Dessert

Chocolate Mousse Brownie with Grand Marnier Whipped Cream.
Recommended: Merlot. Alt.: Muscat
OR
Georgia Peach and Banana Pudding
Recommended: Riesling. Alt.: Sauternes
Or
Cherries Jubliee with Vanilla Ice Cream
Recommended: Champagne. Alt: Riesling
More on the food
For our dinner, I did a mix and match from Chef Gordon's menu, and we had all the recommended wines.

Specifically, we had the Daufuskie Island Crab Cakes, which were HUGE and loaded with crabmeat. Our entree was the Barbecued Grilled Shrimp and Pork Tenderloin, with the Horseradish Whipped Potato and the Lady's Island Peas. The horseradish in the potato was just a hint. The pork was moist and tender, and I learned hpw to get it that way at home, too. And, we had the Cherries Jubliee. (Being a chocola-holic I would have loved to try the Chocolate Mousse Brownie with the Grand Marnier, but my DH isn't wild about brownies. Maybe next year...) All the portions were large, and everything was delicious.

Chef Gordon gives you all the recipes so you can try to duplicate the dishes at home.

The cost was $120 for two, and I believe for three it would be the same at $40 each. A good deal for a group

On the subject of food at HH, Chef Gordon also runs cooking classes at the resort. And, he had a wine and cheese event one evening, but we had to leave that day and missed it.

We also missed a Friday night "Broad Creek Oyster Roast," an all-you-can-eat event at the campfire including roasted oysters, boiled shrimp, BBQ ribs, corn-on-the-cob, hushpuppies, and cold draft beer, all prepared outdoors "before your eyes." Cost for that was $29.95. There also was a kids menu for that event including chicken fingers, mac and cheese, corn-on-the-con, and lemonade for $8.95. The CMs at the resort raved to us about the oyster roast, but, alas, we were on our way home.

Hope I've answered everybody's questions.

KMari

"Ginger"
11-15-2001, 06:07 PM
Oh!!! all that food sound delicious.

I have some booklet that I gathered while driving through SC on our way home almost two weeks ago. They have web sites that we can access for info. on the island.

www.wheretogohiltonhead.net

www.hiltonhead.com/events

www.hiltonheadisland.com

Teri I didn't ask for any building in particular just one close to the pool area. William said that pools would be opened but he did know if the weather would be warm enough to swim. He asked me where I was from and how cold it got here. I told him if it was 68 there and the pools was heated we'd be in it.

Hyigene99, there is an airport on Hilton Head, I don't know how big it is maybe just for air hoppers. It may be worth checking into

Dave_from_Marietta
11-15-2001, 06:22 PM
Yes, there is an airport on Hilton Head (HHH), but the only service is US Airways puddle-jumpers from Charlotte. If you decide to fly in there, it's only ten minutes to the resort.

http://www.hiltonheadairport.com

Savannah's airport (SAV) is about 40 minutes from Hilton Head. It features full-sized jet service from Atlanta on both Delta and AirTran (good fares), and Charlotte on US Airways.

There is also mini-jet service from Newark, LaGuardia, and Washington-Dulles.

http://www.savannahairport.com/

The resort recommends that you get a rental car.

RellingTwin
11-15-2001, 06:51 PM
If everyone could please e-mail me your:
Names of the people in your party
Ages of children (if any)
Dates of your reservation
Reservation # (this is so I can "link" them)
Occupation

I will make up a List and give copies to our group only. I will NOT put this info on the board.

RellingTwin@aol.com

Hygiene99
11-15-2001, 06:51 PM
reservation made, feb 16 thru 19 , only could get a studio
for 105.00 no more 1 bedrooms left at that time for dis club discount , was on dvc web site and saw that if u book three nights u get the 4th free. though rate was 99.00 per night
going to explore that route also.. now the air fare
peter

R60TIGGER
11-16-2001, 09:09 AM
I am Tluvs2talk husband and I can't wait to meet you all.
Rick

"Ginger"
11-16-2001, 03:14 PM
I love the music, it's so majestic.:jester:

Hygiene99
11-16-2001, 06:14 PM
is anybody else hearing the music from Main St. electrical parade
or is it just me , if so who did that and how ? :confused: :D
Ginger we where on the magic last year on halloween
not this year .... :mad:

"Ginger"
11-16-2001, 06:36 PM
Now is a good time to book for Oct 26, 2002 and join us for all the fun.:D

We had a great time and can't wait to go again next year. All new ports of call. While we were on the ship they offered great rates to book another cruise. I had already made our reservations for next years Halloween Cruise but the rates offered on the ship were lower. They took off $490. and gave us a $100. on board credit for that cruise. :D :D :D :D :D That's how we can go on this little holiday weekend. :bounce:

Thank You DCL.

lynetteSC
11-16-2001, 10:32 PM
Geepers~ This is what I get for staying off the boards lately!!! I just saw this post for the 1st time!!!!! :(

I will call tommorow and see if dh and I can still get a room there!!!! This sounds like a BLAST!!!!!!! We LOVE HH!!! It is sooooooooooooo neat .. and the outlet stores aren't that bad either!!!!

I won't sleep a wink tonite :bounce: :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc

RellingTwin
11-17-2001, 08:34 PM
I will compile the info sent to me and e-mail you all copies!Thanks for sending it so quickly!

Lynette! I hope you can join us! We are going to have BIG fun!:D

Tluvs2talk
11-17-2001, 08:41 PM
Hygiene99, and Ginger,
You are not dreaming. Yes R60 TIGGER and I had the Main steet music in our singnature, we were asked nicely by another Dis user to delete the music . We respectfully took the music out.

Teri

P.S. I liked it too. Thanks

Beth11
11-18-2001, 05:45 AM
Hi Everyone...

Wow!! You all are doing a wonderful job planning and throwing around ideas!!

I saw the photos on Darla's web site and they were awesome! Her trip reports kept me going while I was patiently waiting those 13 months for our first Disney Cruise last year!! The Beach House is gorgeous and looks like a great place to meet!

I love all of the ideas for dinner... we have low country boils at our house and we can bring the "hardware" if needed. The Beach House would be a perfect setting for this. An onion is a "must" in the pot!!! Yummy! I also love the idea of a private dinner party...oh, to be waited on and not have to do the work would be awesome!! The menus sound incredible as well!! A dinner CRUISE sounds fabulous too, any time that the word CRUISE comes up... you know my ears perk up!!! :D My family is very agreeable and we will be happy to help in anyway. Anything you all decide will be fine with us!!

Our family would need to be on the list for the gate since I don't think we are staying overnight. I may go ahead and make a reservation "just in case."

The Savannah Airport is nice for a city our size! The link Dave provided will be helpful for those who may need it. It's an easy drive to HH from here.

I have a son who is 13 and a daughter who will be almost 10 by the time we have our meet. This is going to be great!!

I'm sorry the music was asked to be taken away. I'm sure the reason was good, but I LOVED it! :) What a great surprise that was!!

You guys are the BEST! This is going to be wonderful. Matching names with faces.... I can't wait!!! I'm also thrilled that we have some other DISers that are not from our area that want to participate! Awesome!!

Mary, thanks again for the great idea!! Please don't hesitate to let me know what I can do to help out!!

Have a wonderful Sunday, all!!!

Beth11
:) :) :)

Dave_from_Marietta
11-18-2001, 02:37 PM
I enjoyed the music as well, but I asked Teri and Rick to remove it from their signatures so I don't have to surf the DIS boards with my speakers turned off. When I'm surfing at work, the music's a dead giveaway that I'm on a non-work-related site. And when I'm surfing at home, the signature music clashes with the other music I play while I'm surfing. Thanks for agreeing to my request. The music itself was fine. Could you perhaps post a link to it?

My order of preference for the dinner options mentioned...

1) Low-country Boil
2) Private chef
3) Dinner cruise

How neat to get people interested in joining us from points outside the region. This is really going to be fun!

Hygiene99
11-18-2001, 04:58 PM
miss the music , but ok i kinda get daves point.
but if know this is going to have music maybe u could like check this post at home .... nad not at work
just expressing myself...... peter

:mad: :confused: :D
like the dinnercruise and the
private chef ideas

lynetteSC
11-18-2001, 09:30 PM
Held a 1 bdrm at YUCKY rate! So, I thought that was GREAT excuse to join t he DisneyClub!!! LOL!!! So, hopefully tommorow rate will be reduced if the DC rate is still available:) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love the idea of dinner cruise! We have done this before in Charleston! But, shrimp boil is great too! :)

Tluvs2talk
11-19-2001, 12:45 PM
Mary,

All of the ideas for Dinner sound great!!!!! I haven't heard from the e-mail I sent yet. Will post when I do.

Teri

natsmom125
11-19-2001, 03:07 PM
OK Guys....I will see what I can work out about staying on the Island that weekend...can't
promise...we don't get to get off the Island much and when we can...we head south!!!!!!!

Ginger and all those DVC members....can't you use your points????????????to book the
rooms????????????????????

Dave from Marietta.....restaurants don't do the Low County Boil, a dinner cruise would cost
$$$$, and besides...as Mary says.....there are a ton of great restaurants here.

However.....if everyone wants a LCB....I can check with my firefighters and see if
a couple of them would be willing to do one(for a small price) and if they can find a place
to have it. Disney might be willing to have it on property if the guys would do the cooking.

Let me know............

Phyllis

Dave_from_Marietta
11-19-2001, 03:12 PM
Phyllis,

I guess I was unclear when I suggested a seafood restaurant or a low-country boil in the same sentence. Those were two seperate suggestions.

If we do the boil, it would definitely be the guys manning the propane and all that just like at a barbeque. And Beth11 said she has the hardware.

Even if a restaurant did offer the boil, it just wouldn't be the same.

"Ginger"
11-19-2001, 04:52 PM
Well Phyllis I can only talk for myself, we used all our points, 2 years worth, on the Oct. cruise and 5 night stay at OKW. In other words...WE BE POINT BROKE. I guess we'll have to stop cruisin long enough to save enough money to buy more points.

I have seen pictures of a picinc areas and grills at HH. Can't we use that area to do our own low country boil?
I am going to do some checking on the dinner cruises, I saw one ad for a sunset dinner cruise All-U-can-eat buffet with boiled shrimp, bbq pork, fried chicken, and all the fixin's for $29. adults and $15. for kids. Beer, wine and soft drinks extra, free parking and free gate. I saw another cruise offered, Calibgue Cruises The Daufuskie Crab Company- Daufuskie Crab Company Adventure includes a narrated cruise to Daufuskie, a tour of the island, and a Lowcountry Boil Dinner. All inclusive $39. (gratuity not included) I understand that the cruises may be seasonal.

Hygiene99
11-19-2001, 05:20 PM
WE be point Broke also, so we have to pay cash.
Ginger nice job on finding the dinner cruz. they both sound ok like the second one better, crab sounds good ....
still watching a/f from boston i think we have the flight we want
waiting to see if the price is going to drop a little more
we r now flying in the night of the 15 th , but staying at the airport hotel and going to rent car in am, as we do not get in
until after midnight , so not knowing where we r going and we will be tired from work that day , thought that was best.
if we r feeling ambitous maybe we will venture out that way
it would not be the first time we showed up with out a reservation did it at boardwalk also, and we where fine...
Peter:smooth:

Dave_from_Marietta
11-19-2001, 05:36 PM
Peter, if it makes a difference in whether you stay near the airport or venture out towards HH, be aware that it's VERY dark between SAV and HH. Also, HH has a sign ordinance that keeps all signs very small and unobtrusive. All commercial properties also have lots of trees. It makes for a very lovely island because the commercial strip isn't nearly so ugly, but it can also make it difficult to find someplace you haven't been before when you're looking for it in the dark.

RellingTwin
11-19-2001, 09:27 PM
Teri, I sent an e-mail to the same person using your link. I heard back...that person is no longer at HH but is now at Port Orleans/Dixie landing. He said he would forward my e-mail to the right person, but so far nothing.

Here are my thoughts on the dinner get together.
Low Country Boil

Pros: Lots of fun!
Kids would like it
inexpensive
I don't have to cook!LOL!
easy clean up
Cons:
We would have to make sure we had a place to do it. The "grill areas " would work but they have no water at them.Just a grill and a table. The Beach House would be great, but I don't know if Disney would allow it. Maybe the beach itself? Phyillis, is there a restriction on fires on the beach?
Weather may be a factor (could we do it in a unit? Just cook outside, but serve and eat inside?)

Shopping for it. Not REALLy a "problem" but someone would have to do it. I would be happy to bring the shrmip from Charleston:D . I might even be able to convince DH to go "shrimping" the day before we leave. He caught some yummy shrimp a few weeks ago!

A Private Chef
Pros: No work involved at all! Just show up!
I don't have to cook!
NO clean up!
Menu sounds wonderful (and great reviews on the DIS board)
We get to see what a Grand Villa looks like!

Cons: I would have to find a place for the kids (or leave them in room with a movie) HEY.... this could be a Pro!!!!
kinda pricey (80. for the two of us) We could eat a LOT of shrimp and crab for 80.00!

Dinner Cruise
Pros: It's a cruise!LOL
New and different, I have not done one before (Well not on a small boat anyway
;) )
both sound yummy!
Cons:
I found on our last trip many of the fun "seasonal" stuff was not operating.
Again..Weather may be a factor

Peter..I would not try just "showing up" at Disney. The property is MUCH smaller then most at WDW. I saw 3 people turned away when I was checking in on our last trip there in Feb.

Rick...Looking forward to meeting you also!

Dave_from_Marietta
11-20-2001, 12:53 AM
My earlier comment about the darkness got me to wondering about how much moon there would be. Alas, according to the U.S. Naval Observatory, not much. The moon will be waxing with 16% of the visible disk illuminated.

Also, fyi, sunrise on 2/16 will be 7:05 a.m., and sunset will be 6:10 p.m. I guess that's why the beach house closes at 6:00 that time of year.

natsmom125
11-20-2001, 09:25 AM
Mary....and everyone..............

There is a no burning on the beach ordinance.

I agree with Mary....I could eat a lot of shrimp for 80.00
and
were you planning on the cruise being after sunet...if so...there is nothing to see..
maybe the lights from the shore...but remember...this is not New York...no tall
buildings....like Dave said....it is DARK here

and
a catering firm might do a dinner for everyone on site

Miss Ginger the travel agent.....you can check all of that out.

Did anyone think of an Oyster Roast????? Personally, I don't like them...but a lot of
people do. You could have hdogs, and stuff for the non-oyster people and kids.

Like I said...I can always get the guys to help out...as long as they get FED. Eating is
a fireman's life!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep me informed.
Phyllis

Tluvs2talk
11-20-2001, 09:27 AM
Mary,
I am glad you let me know that the guy I e-mailed is no longer at
Hilton head. I was getting a little irritated that my e-mail had not been answered. The link I used was one Ginger was given. She also had a Phone # listed on her post. At least we have time to get our Questions answered and fine tune details.

Teri

natsmom125
11-20-2001, 10:09 AM
There is an airport here and I believe it's US AIR that flys here. Sometimes the rates are
cheaper than SAV and sometimes they are not..just depends. SAV airport is 1 hour away
from the time you leave my office. You get directly on I-95 and stay on it until you get to
Hwy. 278...which comes directly to the Island.........That's when it gets DARK...lol

HH Airport is like 10 mins from the resort.

In SAV there is shuttle service called Low Country Adventures.

Gotta go do some WORK now.
Phyllis

"Ginger"
11-20-2001, 07:51 PM
I am sorry that the email link did not work, I got it directly from CM William at Hilton Head who I spoke to on the day I posted.

As far as the dinner cruises, I did say that they may be seasonal at Hilton Head. We here in Maryland, have dinner cruises leaving the docks of the Inner Harbor in Baltimore all year round, they just cruise around the bay... at night...in the dark. The boats have lights, heat, bathrooms everything a restaurant has. They are party boats by night and sightseeing boats during the day.

Maybe we should just forget all the cruises, chefs, and low country boils and just go with everyone bringing a dish. I believe we all have some kind of kitchen. We could all pitch in for shrimp, crabs and oysters. We could make or buy dips and put together or buy some easy salads. If the beach house is not that far away maybe could gather there with our dishes or even order Pizza or Chinese or both. This way no worries about where to put the kids, open fires, feeding the firemen, hiring caterers or chefs, missing the boat and spending to much money.

Pros: Fun, Easy, Relaxing, No rushing to get somewhere on time. Very casual dress.
Cons: Who going to pick up the phone and call the order in?????

I am sure that "Miss Phyllis", lol...could advise us on the best carry-out food...on her island.:D

lynetteSC
11-20-2001, 08:02 PM
LOL! You guys are tooooo much!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I found out I can get the time off work (I was worried ... jan & feb are PEAK season in my office) and I joined the Disney Club so I got better rate! YIPEE!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter to us what we eat ... as long as we do eat! It is just dh and I, so no kids to consider with our party. This sounds like soooooooooooooooooooo much fun! I can hardly wait!!!!!

RellingTwin~ I guess I have to go allllllllllllllllllll the way down there to meet you since I missed you at the RAD on 9/29!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

natsmom125
11-21-2001, 08:07 AM
Ya'll are cracking me up here......

Maybe everyone should just come to MY HOUSE....lol We have a golf course in the back
and we could spill over on to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are lots of delivery places here MISS GINGER....oh by the way thanks for sending
me the navigators........and were Kelly and Natalee still on the ship???

OK....back to the shindig.......I don't think the beach house has a big enough room for
everyone. I've only been in it once and can't remember.. If the resort is sold out that
weekend....maybe you can book the room in the lodge and like Ginger said...do some
sort of pot luck....with pizza and chinese delivery or pick up. Disney used to have a
pizza delivery to the resort, I don't know if they still do or not. Mary might know.

Anyway, whatever ya'll decide...

I hope everyone has a great holiday....we are leaving for ORL as soon as I can get
away from HERE. We will be having T'giving dinner at the Wilderness Lodge.

And Ginger....I can't believe you don't want to feed FIREMEN...they are the best....they
can eat our left overs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shoot...they'll eat anybody's left overs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later
Phyllis
:cool:

Tluvs2talk
11-21-2001, 03:49 PM
<font color=orange size=6> I would like to wish everyone a

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

MarchingChief
11-21-2001, 11:23 PM
:rolleyes:

If you are looking for group information about HH, please do not write to the e-mail address that Ginger gave (ryan.harrington@disney.com). The best way is to call the resort directly at 843-341-4150. I no longer work in HH and am unable to help with group reservations. Thanks!

Ryan

"Ginger"
11-22-2001, 10:21 PM
Thank you Ryan for taking the time to register and post the correct information. I am sorry if the information I posted earlier has caused any inconvenieces to anyone.

I have deleted the post with the wrong info.

Tluvs2talk
11-24-2001, 07:21 PM
Where is everybody??????

RellingTwin
11-24-2001, 08:55 PM
We are back. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!We went to Washington DC to spend Turkey Day with my oldest sister and her family. We had a wonderful time,but the changes in the "tourist" stuff was very evident. All bags, backpacks ect are checked going into any government building. Many streets are now closed and parking in DC itsefl (which is NEVER easy) is now a nightmare! Under normal circumstances we would have done a tour of the White House (my sis works for the White House) but all tours have been cancelled. From my sister's house you can hear the F15 and F16 fighter jets that are flying around the city at all times.
It's good to be home!
I got an e-mail from Shirley at the Perfect Gift. She and Norm may join us at Hilton Head!!I will drop her a note tomorrow. After 8 hours on the road...I am hitting the hay!

Dave_from_Marietta
11-25-2001, 12:34 AM
We just got back as well. We met Shirley and Norm on Wednesday. She hadn't mentioned the possibility of joining us at HH, but that'd be great! They're both delightful.

lynetteSC
11-25-2001, 06:18 PM
We may not be able to make it to HH! :( DH says that since we plan on WDW in May and HOPEFULLY DCL on 9/28/02, that is too much disney!!! I know, I never could imagine TOO much disney?!?!?!?!?!? Anyway, I am working on him! I will really hate to miss meeting all you guys! I hope you will all have great time!

Tluvs2talk
11-25-2001, 10:05 PM
Hi All,
Just found this great link with lots of Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort and magic cruise pictures.

http://frontpage.home.net/debkay111/home.htm

RellingTwin
11-26-2001, 06:07 AM
Lynette, I do hope you can come to HH! Keep us posted.

Teri, I LOVE the link you posted. Thanks!
See you all in 82 days!

Tluvs2talk
11-27-2001, 08:58 AM
Lynette,
I am still hoping you will make it too.

RellingTwin
11-27-2001, 04:43 PM
Remember to add your name to the Magical Meeting list!

Dave_from_Marietta
11-27-2001, 05:29 PM
What is the Magical Meeting List? Is that something on a board other than this one? (Uncharted territory for me... LOL!)

"Ginger"
11-27-2001, 06:48 PM
Hi all I just added our names to the Magic Meeting list. Thanks Mary.

Dave go to the Home Page, then to the Community/Misc., then Magic Mettings. Look for the date 2/16/02 HH.

Tluvs2talk
11-28-2001, 09:16 PM
Bump!!!

Tluvs2talk
11-29-2001, 12:58 PM
Hi Everyone,
I just received this e-mail.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```
Hello Teri,
Ryan Harrington forwarded your message to me, as his role now is in Walt
Disney World in Florida. Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.
* Our resort has added four outdoor grills for guests' use (in
addition to the large grill located outside Big Murggie's Den). They're
located near Buildings 17, 18, 24, and 31.
* Yes, both pools will be open in February and will be heated to
approximately 82 degrees Fahrenheit.
* We do not have a meeting room for guests' use.
* As far as dinner cruises, I recommend contacting Spirit of Harbour
Town at 843-842-7179. They offer the following: Savannah trips, sunset
dinner cruises, sunset seafood feasts, and sunset BBQs.
Please let me know if we can assist you further. Our resort's phone number
is 843-341-4100.
We're looking forward to your visit.
Shere Balika, Manager-Guest Service Operations at Disney's Hilton Head

Dave_from_Marietta
11-29-2001, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Tluvs2talk

Originally written Shere Balika, Manager-Guest Service Operations at Disney's Hilton Head

Both pools will be open in February and will be heated to
approximately 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sounds nice. They might be steaming. According to <a href="http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=hilton+head">wunderground.com</a>, the high temperature for the date has ranged from 63 degrees to 80 degrees over the past several years.

RellingTwin
12-03-2001, 06:00 PM
Gosh guys...we were on page 4!!!
Great news! My twin sister and her daughter will be driving up from Florida to spend the weekend with us at Hilton Head! I KNEW the 2 bedroom would come in handy!!!

I am so sorry I have not gotten to the "List" yet:(
I keep thinking I will have a chance to get to it, then something comes up. This weekend was spent getting DD girl scout troop ready for the Christmas parade(Sat.) the the Parade itself (Sun.)
It was a lot of work, but lots of fun and the girls had a BALL!
I will work on it tonight after kids are in bed. I might even have it ready to e-mail tonight as well.

Just 75 days to go!
BTW I saw some more very positive comments about the "Private Affair" on the DVC board. One nice thing I saw was that children can attend either at a reduced price or they can "bring in" food, (like pizza or McDonalds) then watch a video while the adults eat. Just a thought!

Lynette...any word yet? We have our collective fingers crossed!
:D

RellingTwin
12-03-2001, 07:47 PM
OK folks! I finally did it. The 1st version of the HH list is in your mail box. I did not have an e-mail addresse for Lynette, if you would e-mail me at RellingTwin@aol.com and I will forward you the list as well.
Also, for the folks who live in the area and are planning to attend but not stay...please forward your info to me and I will add you to the list as well.

lynetteSC
12-03-2001, 07:54 PM
Relling~ I think email is in my profile???? I have/had a worm/virus ... so, I am trying not to email now! It says it is quarantined, but I don't want to risk anything:confused:
I am just not computer savvy person:(

I doubt that we will be there in February? I am still working ion dh! It depends how his job is going then! We are planning for WDW trip in May, so that is his excuse:(

I wish we could meet all you wonderful people!!!! I'll keep in touch and let you know what's going on here!

Have great nite!

RellingTwin
12-03-2001, 08:04 PM
Lynette, I tried your profile. It says e-mail not available.When your e-mail problems are resolved let me know. I hope you and DH can make it to HH!

"Ginger"
12-22-2001, 11:17 AM
Don't get me wrong, we really want to come down and meet everyone but, DH and I are wondering...What does one do on Hilton Head Island if you don't play golf or want to shop and it's to cold to swim in the pool. I sure don't want to go there and spend alot of time in our room watching T.V.. We are booked for 3 nights there. Any suggestions????

Dave_from_Marietta
12-22-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by "Ginger"

What does one do on Hilton Head Island if you don't play golf or want to shop and it's to cold to swim in the pool... We are booked for 3 nights there. Any suggestions?

Have you ever been to Savannah? It's nearby, and if you've never been there, the riverfront area is fun to tour.

RellingTwin
12-22-2001, 02:24 PM
The resort has activies, kyaking, dolphin tours, wine/cooking lectures, camp fire stories,ect. There is also a pier for fishing and bikes for rent. When you check in they will give you an "activity list". We took a tour on a sail boat that was a blast! There is also horsebacking riding nearby. While we did spend a fair amount of time sitting poolside while the kids swam, we never lacked for things to do. It is a much more "laid back" then the resorts at WDW. My personal favorite thing to do was to sit on our balcony and read!In the evening we enjoyed "Goofy Goofy BINGO" and also borrowed movies for the kids to watch.56 days to go!

Beth11
12-22-2001, 04:15 PM
Ginger... I totally agree with Dave. Savannah is a wonderful place to visit. You will love the downtown area and River Street. It's a very romantic, historic city with plenty of seafood to eat. Savannah is just a 45 minute drive from HH.

Dave.... what is the website that allows you to see the past weather patterns for a particular city or area? Thanks!

See you all in February!

Beth11
:D

Dave_from_Marietta
12-22-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Beth11

What is the website that allows you to see the past weather patterns for a particular city or area?

www.wunderground.com

Once you find the page for your location, there is a drop-down box at the bottom of the page that lets you pull up the conditions from other dates.

Beth11
12-23-2001, 08:27 AM
Thanks, Dave! I appreciate your time, effort and wealth of information!!! This website is really interesting and will be helpful as we plan our next vacation!!! I have always had a "love" of weather. I always say that in my next life, I'm going to be a storm chaser or watcher!!!!

Beth11
:) :)

Dave_from_Marietta
01-08-2002, 05:44 PM
We're going to have to cancel. Tight budget and the opportunity for a rare family gathering that weekend...

Disappointed though.

"Ginger"
01-08-2002, 06:02 PM
we had to cancel too. Christmas has put a real crunch on our budget. Maybe we can visit Hilton Head when the weather gets warmer. I do hope that everyone else has a wonderful time.