PDA

View Full Version : experienced crusiers needed!

pooh4us
08-28-2006, 01:53 PM
OK...stilltrying to get my little brain around all of the great info posted here before I book stuff on my cruise.

I have a DD11 and a DB8. We will also have the grandparents with us-young and very active. Should we move our 6:30 dinner seating to the later shift? I feel so confused about dinner earlier or later. Any suggestions?

I'll be posting more questions in the next few days!

Thanks for all the input...

mommasita
08-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I would move it. We enjoy the ports of call, and doing different afternoon activities, and we do find the early seating, TOO early. WE love the late seating, and we do feel less rushed this way...Our kids were just a bit younger than yours. :goodvibes

jrose529
08-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I also like the late seating. I hate to be rushed to make a 5:30 dinner. Plus, you get second seating for breakfast on the last morning. It's nice not to have to get to breakfast by 7:15 AM and then disembark.

HiYaPal
08-28-2006, 09:31 PM
We also prefer late seating because coming from the midwest, the early seating would be like easting at 4:30 and that is way too early. We especially like not having to rush around in the afternoon or rush back from port. It does make taking advantage of those late night buffets a little more difficult though ;)

HiYaPal
08-28-2006, 09:33 PM
We also prefer late seating because coming from the midwest, the early seating would be like eating at 4:30 and that is way too early for us. We especially like not having to rush around in the afternoon or rush back from port. It does make taking advantage of those late night buffets a little more difficult though ;) SO, take what time you are used to eating into consideration, remembering time zone differences.

aiken4mickey
08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I've always had late seating....it's worked well for my kids having ranged in ages from 3-12......I like eating late.......seeing the shows first.......I will say that eating the Pirate Buffet we couldn't do after coming from a meal! I would also suggest watching the time on Pirate Night if you want to get to the Pirates In the Carribean show on time.......we missed the first part....

LAMPSKIES
08-29-2006, 11:44 AM
OK...stilltrying to get my little brain around all of the great info posted here before I book stuff on my cruise.

I have a DD11 and a DB8. We will also have the grandparents with us-young and very active. Should we move our 6:30 dinner seating to the later shift? I feel so confused about dinner earlier or later. Any suggestions?

I'll be posting more questions in the next few days!

Thanks for all the input...

Late seating...we did early on our first in 2000 and late the next 4. Whenever this question is asked I tell the story of me walking on deck 3 by the internet cafe sipping on a cold beer after an absolutly perfect day of shore excursions and island adventures.....it was about 5:30 or 6 I went to check on DD at the cafe when I heard the yelling and screaming comming from the stairway....yep, Mom, Dad, Kids and Grandma and Grandpa running down the stairs yelling....come on we are going to be late......again!!! And yes we too are fromthe Midwest and on the Eastern it is 3 time zone changes......late is great!

Dsnylndlvrs
08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
We had late seating last week. It wasn't what we originally wanted but it worked out great. We're west coasters who normally eat dinner around 7:30 anyway. At first I thought I wouldn't want to eat so close to bed time ( I normally retire around 10:00) but quickly found out that life on the ship can be very different than at home. I don't think any of us, including 10 year old DD, ever got to bed before midnight. And then, of course, it's nice to have the later breakfast on disembarkation day!

Kris

rwatterson
09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
We have now booked our 4th cruise
Our first was for NewYears 2001 7 days on Magic (just following 9-11, that another storey) we travelled with the kids and the grandparents and loved early dining and the show to follow dinner.

Next we brought the Magic home from LA summer 2005 14 days on Magic - that trip we were just the 2 of us and the kids and had late sitting. We have to say the we loved early (Main) - with late we missed shows and buffets

#3 was Sep 2-9 '06 - 7 days of Magic - - for this trip we travelled with friends in a party of 8 ages 16 to 54. Again early sitting was a big hit for us and our friend who were on there first cruise ever

While on that cruise we (all 8 of us) made reservations for next summer to bring home the Magic from Barcelona Spain to Florida (14 day transatlantic) there was no question in our minds early (Main) seating all the way

We have never felt rushed for the shows or dinner or photos for that matter with the main seating in fact after dinner we still have the whole night to plan and play- we Love the 10:15 shows in Rockin Bar D and this way were alway able to see everything

I hope that helps

poconoboatniks
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Our kids are 8 & 12. We've done both Main and late. We like Main because it allows you to enjoy yourself after the shows. We were too stuffed and too tired to enjoy ourselves after late seating. We've never felt rushed on port days. However, I do like the later breakfast times on disembarkation day.

CaptainJack
09-21-2006, 04:26 PM
We have done both. And, frankly we enjoyed both. We found that you will adjust your schedule to when you are eating dinner. And, you will not miss anything happening on the ship no matter which seating you have. The one advantage of main seating was on Pirate Night. You had a bit of time to do something between dinner and the festvities, which I do not believe was a luxury that the persons at late seating had. Whichever you have, you will have fun on the cruise.

mattmommy
09-21-2006, 05:02 PM
We had late seating (8:30) in July for our group of 14 (ages 5 - 66). It was the best for our situation. We could stay at cc until they pretty much pushed us along. No rushing back to get dressed. We could shower and put on sweats (or get dressed) and go to a show. They we had time to look through shutters, shop and relax before dinner. I probably would have liked 8:00 a bit better and the only day we "rushed" through dinner was pirate night. We didn't have to rush. I think dancing starts around 9:30ish (not sure because we got there at 9:45. We asked our servers on day one that we needed to be out by 9:30. After potty runs and going through the conga line at the restaurant we were on deck at 9:45. The "show" and fireworks weren't until 10:15.

Yes, we were pretty full from dinner, but we didn't have to wait on the enormous line for food/desserts.

poohs4me
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
We also have had both, but thought the early was too early. We skipped the meal several times to prolong our time on shore.