PDA

View Full Version : What do you call a chair hog?

Jsme
08-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Just curious but just what do you classify as a chair hog? Please do not post if you are going to flame anyone.

I do not call a chair hog someone who sits in their chair for the majority of the time but does get up for brief dips in the pool but I would think a chair hog is someone who leaves one shoe on one chair and another on the one next to it. Or a bag, sunglasses, a towel on a chair and no towel and no one comes back to it for hours. I have even noticed CM's come clean off chairs before and then witness the people come back with someone else in the chairs. This made for a terrible fight because the people in the chairs were innocent but the ones that had been gone for over an hour were terribly upset with that couple.

ricka47
08-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I've seen folks "claim" chairs with the first light of dawn and not show up until after noon to actually use them. I think the maximum that anyone should be expected to leave and have their chair still belong to them should be about an hour.

WDWLVR
08-24-2006, 01:37 PM
We've been lucky in that we've never seen them on our cruises, but I would call a chair hog the type of person who stops by the pool at 7am and leaves a book or something on a chair and then doesn't come back to the pool until noon or later.

Pooh_Friend#1
08-24-2006, 01:39 PM
I think a chair hog is someone who lays claim to "their" chair with a book or a flip flop and hangs out inside the pool (or elsewhere) and never comes back to their chair unless they order a drink.

DVCconvert
08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Seems pretty clear to me!

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cityglass/stuff/piggy2.jpg

:rotfl2:

dletz
08-24-2006, 02:02 PM
I would not consider someone a chair hog if they claimed one chair, and spent the time in the pool. Unless I am mistaken there isn't really anyplace other than a chair to put your stuff on the decks. If you put it on the floor it will be all wet. I do not walk around the ship in a bathing suit only, or even in a towel and a bathing suit, I always wear something over my suit. I also always wear shoes. I generally also bring up a book to read even if I don't end up getting to it. As a family of three, if we all plan on spening most of our time in the pool, we would get one chair to put our stuff on. If one of us is out of the pool for any length of time we will then use the chair. If I knew I was going to spend the whole time I was at the pool actually in the pool, and there was someplace else to put my stuff without it getting wet, I wouldn't use a chair, but at the moment there isn't much of an option, other than to take up a whole table.

Jsme
08-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Don't you wish they had cubbies or lockers we could use to put stuff at the pool when you know you are not going to be in the chair? I think this would be a great idea.

mattmommy
08-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Amen to that. We had 14 of us with stuff and took a back table with chairs. The older ones don't care for the sun and sit there and relax. The middle ones (me, dh, cousins) sit and watch their kids in the pool.

When we went to CC we did take 3 lounges and 2 chairs in the back. There's no way all 14 of us needed seats.

I think the word might be starting to get out because when I asked somebody if they were using the chair next to them and they said, "yes, my husband (daughter, wife, etc.) is using it" I give them the benefit of the doubt--bathroom, getting snack, etc. After a while everybody around them started asking again and giving them the hairy eye. They generally gave up the seat.

A few times DM and I lounged and kept piles of shoes, tees and lotions around our feet for all the kids.

If they had large cubbies things would be better for the non hogs.

lbgraves
08-24-2006, 02:40 PM
To me, it is someone who is trying to save a chair when they are no where in site of the pool and have no intention of returning to the pool for hours. In the theater it is someone who is trying to save an entire row with one other person on the other end.

mattmommy
08-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Ah, forgot the theater. I told my family we'll meet them at the theater and to not save us seats. If we have seats together, that's fine, but if not, we're there to see the show. I've seen a few seat savers on our cruise that got some really mean looks (we're talking whole row and not just for somebody running to the bathroom or for snacks).

GreatDaneMom
08-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I spotted a notorious chair hog on a recent cruise. She had two chairs saved for herself...one in the sun and one in the shade. She moved back and forth between them depending on how she felt. The chair not in use always had her stuff on it. I watched her do this all afternoon while other people were desperately looking for a chair (this was a crowded Spring Break cruise.) Too selfish! :furious:

Cheryl

Ker-Bear
08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
How do you politely and firmly take a chair from a chair hog?

For example, if I notice that no one comes back to their chair after one hour and I want to sit there, how would that work exactly?

Mortlives
08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Personally, I've always felt that it was appropriate to have a chair if you were in the pool area only (unless you've run to the bathroom or to get a snack/beverage and are coming right back). I would never leave my stuff at the pool while I went to do something else. If everyone did that, there would probably always be enough chairs to go around.

EAP'sDAD
08-24-2006, 05:36 PM
First off to be a chair hog the person must leave the beach or pool area. To claim a chair and then go swimming at the pool is not a chair hog.
I can not stand when someone comes down in the morning put stuff on a couple of chairs then go to breakfast and come back several hours later. Then use the pool for an hour and again leave with their stuff on the chairs. I fyou leave the pool or beach for any extended period should give up their chairs.
I can never understand when someone gets mad when they haven't been there all day and someone moves there stuff, I would embarrassed.

Tinkerme1
08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Question: What is "Disney's Policy" about chairs near the pools? Is there anything in writing, on a sign, near the pools?

I usually will stand and wait for 15 minutes. If there are lots of open lounge chairs, with books, towels, etc. on them, and the person doesn't come back, I feel I have the perfect right to move their stuff. Maybe if their stuff is wet when they come back, they'll think twice about leaving it on a lounge chair near the pool! People need to be kind to their fellow passengers, so I won't throw their stuff overboard! :rotfl2:

Either you're sitting in it, near it, or you'll lose it!

Jsme
08-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Question: What is "Disney's Policy" about chairs near the pools? Is there anything in writing, on a sign, near the pools?

I usually will stand and wait for 15 minutes. If there are lots of open lounge chairs, with books, towels, etc. on them, and the person doesn't come back, I feel I have the perfect right to move their stuff. Maybe if their stuff is wet when they come back, they'll think twice about leaving it on a lounge chair near the pool! People need to be kind to their fellow passengers, so I won't throw their stuff overboard! :rotfl2:

I do not think there is a per say policy but I would not move anything unless I had personally witnessed the chair not in use for over an hour then I would find a CM and tell them and ask them if they would move it. This way when they come back you would not be at fault of the actual move.

Little Miss Liberty
08-24-2006, 09:37 PM
I've found towels on chairs that I have just moved and no one has come back to claim it . Why shouldn't you get to use the chair?

lbgraves
08-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Actually, DCL prints their policy in the navigator each day.

As a courtesy to fellow guests we kindly advise that reserving of deck chairs on decks 9 and 10 is not permitted. Thank you for your cooperation.

Right below that is posted...
Reserved Seat Policy: As a courtesy to all Guests we kindly advise that the saving of seats is not permitted in the Walt Disney Theatre and the sun loungers on Decks 9 & 10.

I really don't see where anyone could be confused about their policy. ;)

Jsme
08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Lisa I think it is because they do not enforce it.

yazee1
08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Ah, forgot the theater. I told my family we'll meet them at the theater and to not save us seats. If we have seats together, that's fine, but if not, we're there to see the show. .

:thumbsup2 I totally agree with this way of thinking. Been there, done that.

yazee1
08-24-2006, 10:23 PM
I would find a CM and tell them and ask them if they would move it. This way when they come back you would not be at fault of the actual move.

I never thought of that strategy but it sounds good. I'm wondering if a CM would take my word and move the stuff. It's worth a try.

eeyoregon
08-24-2006, 10:33 PM
I call a chair hog a moron. I move their stuff and plop my butt in the chair.

I wish Disney would put some cubbies by the pool so you could store towels, shoes, etc. as I think that would eliminate a lot of the chairs being used as towel racks.

Tinkerme1
08-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I do not think there is a per say policy but I would not move anything unless I had personally witnessed the chair not in use for over an hour then I would find a CM and tell them and ask them if they would move it. This way when they come back you would not be at fault of the actual move.

I really understand how you feel, but honestly, if someone doesn't see me put their stuff gently near the chair, and time marches on......then putting someone's things off the chair is not a bad thing.

No, a CM will not move it. You're going to have to do it, if you want the chair. I certainly would bow to anyone who comes forward within a few minutes, because they were in the pool or potty, but most of the time, their things just sit there for hours. I do tell a CM when I leave, that there are things near the chair that are not mine and they may like to put them away for safe keeping. Remember, I'm nice, not mean.

HiYaPal
08-24-2006, 10:36 PM

Ok - I'm curious, if there are a lot of open chairs why would you need to move someone's stuff...why not just take one of the open chairs? Or did you mean there were lots of chairs being saved and no chairs available to sit?

IMHO - I would wait and I generally ask people in neighboring chairs if they have seen anyone in awhile. I would probably ask a cast member to move the stuff if the person has been gone awhile. But then again, I have been know to put stuff on a chair and go to the restroom...but then I am only gone for an extremely limited amont of time. So, I think you need to give people at least 10 - 15 minutes. We wouldn't want anyone pottying in the pool now would we??? ;)

lbgraves
08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Linda, you very seldom see a chair that doesn't have something on it by the Mickey Pool. That is where the problem is. There usually aren't many people in them so it is obvious that they are being "held." We usually start in the third row and as people leave, we move up. :)

waltsgirl
08-24-2006, 11:46 PM
How many times does this subject need to be talked about?? It will always happen with groups of people, some will follow the rules and some won't.

Tinkerme1
08-24-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi Linda: I've been on lots of cruises where people just plainly aren't very considerate of others and put their belongings on chairs to save them for hours. It's just not nice. CM's usually won't do anything, since it is personal property.

WaltsGirl: There are lots of "new" cruisers out there who do not know what a chair hog is or the problems it creates. These boards are here to discuss everything, including repeat issues. If you prefer not to read them, you could just skip it and move on, right?

Jsme
08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I never thought of that strategy but it sounds good. I'm wondering if a CM would take my word and move the stuff. It's worth a try.

CM's have moved things on cruises I have been on because I have watched others request it to be done. I have also watched CMs move things on their own. They have never moved any personal items only disney towels that people sometimes use to save a chair. Sorry for any confusion on my post.

I realize we do repeat things on the boards but I was reading a thread and people were talking about chairs hogs in that thread and I was curious to get others opinions.

PURTYPAT1
08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Easy chair hogs are also called "inconsiderate"
:furious:

misseulalie
08-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I think everyone who cruises should write in the guest survey about getting cubbies installed near the pool. That would greatly reduce the amount of chairs being saved.
I know they really take the surveys seriously, so if we all complain, then maybe they will do something about it.

Ker-Bear
08-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I think everyone who cruises should write in the guest survey about getting cubbies installed near the pool. That would greatly reduce the amount of chairs being saved.
I know they really take the surveys seriously, so if we all complain, then maybe they will do something about it.

That's a great idea! I will be sure to include it in my survey when we go 9/3

barbmouse
08-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Everyday on our cruise there were matching t Shirts that a family had made and had stuck them on about 6 chairs. I never saw anyone sitting in the chairs but from early morning to late afternoon the shirts were there on the front row no doubt! I feel sure they used the chairs at some point but not much. Now that's a chair hog!!! So do you make your matching t shirts double as chair savers????

suz72
08-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Their matching shirts were hanging out by the pool.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: O.K. now that is too funny. Their shirts were having fun down by the pool. Where were they?

Babs417
08-26-2006, 12:38 PM
We were on CC and we were sitting far from the water, so I carried a chair to the water to watch my grandchildern . I went in the water when I came out I couldent find my chair because someone took it and told a lady it was hers. I wouldnt of been so bad but I cant see with out my glasses and they were also put on the ground. I wasnt to happy :furious: :mad:

Amlee
08-26-2006, 05:18 PM
When we went in our group there was 16 of us. I made a point in the theater that we didn't take up a whole row. We wanted to sit together as a group. So we did 8 in one row and 8 in the row either behind or in front of the other. I also made a point to arrange a time for all of us to meet up and walk in together.

I will say this about pool people, if I am standing there and I watch a chair that is being "saved" for someone who hasn't showed up for an hour or more. Too bad! I have no problem in taking the chair. I may get the evil eye, but I've had it before and it's never hurt me.

Pooh_Friend#1
08-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I will say this about pool people, if I am standing there and I watch a chair that is being "saved" for someone who hasn't showed up for an hour or more. Too bad! I have no problem in taking the chair. I may get the evil eye, but I've had it before and it's never hurt me.
Great, than you can help me get a chair too because I am not that brave. :goodvibes :teeth:

Amlee
08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Great, than you can help me get a chair too because I am not that brave. :goodvibes :teeth:

Stick with me, my friend and we will have chairs!!

:banana: :cheer2: 10 days and counting :dance3: party:

Float My Boat
08-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Whoever said 15 minutes?! I am one of the biggest critics of chair hogs, but that just isn't long enough. I have sat in a chair for 2 hours straight before getting up to grab a bite at Pluto's where I had to wait 15 minutes. Had I returned to sit on my chair and eat and found my stuff moved, I likely would have "accidently" dropped my plate on the person sitting there.

Amlee
08-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Whoever said 15 minutes?! I am one of the biggest critics of chair hogs, but that just isn't long enough. I have sat in a chair for 2 hours straight before getting up to grab a bite at Pluto's where I had to wait 15 minutes. Had I returned to sit on my chair and eat and found my stuff moved, I likely would have "accidently" dropped my plate on the person sitting there.

I would be royally *upset* if I got up to go to the restroom or to get something to eat and come back after 15 minutes to find someone in my seat.

30 minutes to an hour is a good time frame to go by. If nobody has been in the seat for that long then go for it, but you had better make sure it's been that long at least.