PDA

View Full Version : Knee Brace and Airport Security

hdecker
08-24-2006, 12:26 PM
DD14 was put into a knee brace yesterday for stabilization. It is the kind with metal sides. What is the procedure when going thru security? Will they make her remove it or just wand it? Anyone been through this lately?

pezheadmeg
08-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I've gone through with the aircast on the ankle. I had to take it off and run it through the x-ray. If she's only wearing it for stabilization she should be okay for a few minutes without it on.

disneyldwjr
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
DD14 was put into a knee brace yesterday for stabilization. It is the kind with metal sides. What is the procedure when going thru security? Will they make her remove it or just wand it? Anyone been through this lately?

Try this link. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

hdecker
08-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for that link - it explains alot.

poohbear7
08-24-2006, 09:34 PM
My daughter had to take her knee brace off. They let her sit on a chair while they put it through xray.

Poohlovr
08-25-2006, 04:27 PM
My husband was not required to remove his knee braces, but, he had to step to the side and get the whole pat-down routine, then wanded, then they used those explosive detecting pads on the actual braces.

He finally just took them off at the check points, ran them through the x-ray, and then put them back on.

It was faster than going through the whole other scenario.

bdcp
08-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Just FYI, my DH has a knee brace he wears for running (knee surgery a few years ago) and he takes it when he travels. The TSA opens his lugagge every single time he packs it in his checked luggage and he has to put it back together afterwards. It's got metal frame, hinges, and velcro attached pads and straps. They always undo everything. But if he wore it, it would set off alarms because of the metal content.