PDA

View Full Version : Annual Pass Questions

KCSunshine60
08-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi -

My 2 kids (10 & 14) and I just returned from 5 days at Dland and had a great time pirate:

We live near San Francisco and drove this time. The drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be so we ended up upgrading to an annual pass on our last day. I figure we'll make several short trips over the next year now that I know I can manage the drive by myself.

I called the Dland hotel reservations asking about passholder discounts for a couple future dates. She told me that I have to have a discount number (ex: AP, AP1, etc) or she can't look for discounts. She said they are always posted on the Dland website under the Annual Pass section. I see now that there are a couple things posted for September but nothing further out.

I thought it was strange that I couldn't just call reservations and have them look. She wouldn't look for anything for me unless I gave her a code. I remember years ago when we were going to WDW where they gave me AP special rate quotes without the annual pass. We ended up booking that and just had to purchase and activate the pass by the time of our trip - not in advance.

I'd like any input that you have on getting the best rates for AP discounts. Is it rare that they have specials in advance?

Thanks!
KC :sunny:

PrincessMira
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I think you should call back the Hotel Reservations line, hopefully you'll be able to get someone else.

I don't pick up my AP's for another couple of weeks and have booked rooms with the AP rate and just called this morning for some AP rate's in spring of 2007.

Maybe that person just didn't know how to look up AP rates without the number. Odd.

fidoprincess
08-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Here is the scoop as far as I know it. AP rates are always available at a 10% discount unless you just show up for that night without reservations-then there are NO discounts at all. So that 10% off is not any different than the AAA rate when callling the hotel, senior rate is better.

So, about a month before or maybe 2 (in the winter), they sometimes have AP rates that are "really" special rates. We booked early Dec for Jan AP rates at the DLH for $89/night weekday and $109/night weekend! That is about as low as they go. Right now they are advertising on the AP page of the Disney website rates for around $150? for certain days in Sept.
The problem is if you are not willing to call over and over, by the time you see the notice, the days you want will be gone. Usually the fastest way to find the dates/specials is on the boards. Then you have to call quick and get them right away. Book all the possible days you want, you can always drop days or cancel all together but most likely will not be able to add on later at the same rate. Sometimes you will get the weekdays but not the weekends at the discounted rate, it just varies. Also, callling gets different CMs who are more or less willing to scout out the rates as you have found. Some really nice CMs will go out of their way and tell you all the discounts and which are better. Some well...you know now so we always call back often. You can book a room and then change it to the AP rate if it becomes available but not a VIEW room cause they almost never do AP rates for view rooms. I haven't figured that whole part out yet-lol. I've booked a view room and then switched to the AP rate with a non view room fine and if they are going to release AP rates, it means the hotels are not full so what does it matter there? Don't know.

So booking a discounted DLR room is kind of like playing the lottery-lol.

Then on top of that if you have a Disney Visa, sometimes they release special rates for rooms too, not quite as good as 89/night but I think in the spring they were around $120. I have never gotten this notice in my bill, just saw it on the boards-lol. And to add to it all, Expedia or the other online travel sites sometimes have great rates too. We booked through Travelocity for Nov at a stay 4 nights and get the 4th night free rate. In March, we got a gift card of $150 (not as good a deal but I'll take any little thing-lol),

So it pays to shop around and read the boards when looking for a room! Good luck and rumor has it now that the 50th is ending, we may all see more AP rates as the crowds diminish somewhat (crossing fingers-would give up the 4th night free deal for a great AP rate in a heartbeat!)

Then after you get that all figured out, you get to figure out all the discounts-lol. I have lists for AP discounts, Visa discounts and AAA discounts that I have to carry around with me at DL!

stampinshauna
08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I've called central reservations and they've always been able to look up AP rates for me. Unfortunately, they never seem to have any good rates besides the 10% off rate. Occasionally they have deep discounted rates. I know in January they had some rates that were like $99-139. The past few times that I've called they only have good rates for premium views at the DL hotel which are still like $195. I guess you just have to get lucky in order to get good rates. They also told me that the best rates are not given very far in advance (it depends on how full the hotel is).

rsschneck
08-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi -

My 2 kids (10 & 14) and I just returned from 5 days at Dland and had a great time pirate:

We live near San Francisco and drove this time. The drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be so we ended up upgrading to an annual pass on our last day. I figure we'll make several short trips over the next year now that I know I can manage the drive by myself.

I called the Dland hotel reservations asking about passholder discounts for a couple future dates. She told me that I have to have a discount number (ex: AP, AP1, etc) or she can't look for discounts. She said they are always posted on the Dland website under the Annual Pass section. I see now that there are a couple things posted for September but nothing further out.

I thought it was strange that I couldn't just call reservations and have them look. She wouldn't look for anything for me unless I gave her a code. I remember years ago when we were going to WDW where they gave me AP special rate quotes without the annual pass. We ended up booking that and just had to purchase and activate the pass by the time of our trip - not in advance.

I'd like any input that you have on getting the best rates for AP discounts. Is it rare that they have specials in advance?

Thanks!
KC :sunny:

Call central reservatons and let them know you are an AP and you are checking for deeply dicounted rates for whatever dates you are looking for. Being an AP holder you can always get 10% off. However, deeper discounts usually happen @ 30 days or less. For our end of July trip we got GCH in a DTD view for $219. We were upgraded to Theme Park view when we checked in. The TP view usually goes for $465 rack rate for summer time. I felt very good about the rates I received. You will have to show your AP when you check in. I have never had to have a code to check AP rates when I have called.

KCSunshine60
08-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks everyone! I did call back and the CM that I spoke to this time was more helpful. She did offer the 10% but there wasn't any other specials for the dates we're going in November. I'll keep checking back.

Thanks!
KC