PDA

View Full Version : ? About Meeting Characters

talie95
08-17-2006, 03:24 PM
We're going to DL the first week in oct. princess: The last time we went was 2 years ago (Dec.)just for one day. It was my dd's 1st time and the only character we saw was The Queen(from snow white). Since it was so crowded last time we really were spending most of our time trying to get on the rides but this time since we have 2 days and hopefully it won't be so crowded I'd like to see more characters since she loves them. When and where do the characters come out and is there a place to get some kind of schedule of when/where they'll be? Thanks for any input!!!!

minnietoo
08-18-2006, 09:03 AM
You can ask at City Hall to find out who is expected when and where. If you arrive for opening - the Queen of hearts, Twiddle Dee/Dumb, the Mad Hatter and sometimes Alice are with the band that opens the park.

There are princesses at set times near the castle - Ariel is between TL and the Castle.

Do a character breakfast and a Goofy dinner.

Many characters are at the re-enacatment of opening day (if it is still running when you go there).

Many are seen often - walking around - and stop for autographs and pictures. When you see a line forming for what appears to be no reason - there's usually a character there.

And I heard (here) that princesses read their own stories in the princess shop in FL - check with City Hall regarding this.

blackjackdelta
08-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Many characters over the last two days. More than I think we saw last year at this time. Just as many rude people also.

Jack pirate:

MATTERHORN
08-18-2006, 08:19 PM
I think you should plan a character meal or two so you kill two birds with one stone! If you don't want that, there are tons of characters out in Town Square right after opening. Also DCA has a meet the Princesses area. Good luck!

Andrea

Amy&Dan
08-18-2006, 10:00 PM
And I heard (here) that princesses read their own stories in the princess shop in FL - check with City Hall regarding this.

Yes they do indeed do that. It generally happens three times a morning, with a different princess each time. Its free, just check your park schedule or ask at the gift shop itself when you arrive. They can tell you what princess is in each time slot.

And to the OP, arrive at the park a half hour before opening. Main Street opens a half hour early and there are frequently characters near the train station. We have seen Mickey, princesses, Peter Pan and Wendy, Goofy, Pluto, Mary Poppins and Bert (not all the same morning of course) through the years. And early on when its nice and cool and the lines aren't bad is a much better time to meet the characters than later in the day when its hot and the lines are endless. There is also a very well organized Pooh character meet and greet that runs most of the day back near Splash Mountain and the Pooh gift shop. I have seen Woody and Jesse many times near the Golden Horshoe in Frontierland.

And DCA has a lot of meet and greets near the Sun Wheel (Lilo and Stitch, Max, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy to name a few) throughout the day as well as near the Animations Building on the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. There are also frequently Playhouse Disney characters near the Playhouse Disney show area on the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. Mulan and Mushu are frequently near the Golden Dreams theatre in the Golden State area. If you have a princess fan, Ariel's Grotto has a princess lunch/dinner at Ariel's Grotto. I think this is one of the better deals pricewise for a character meal but its princesses only.

I also agree with Matterhorn, if you don't mind spending the money, do a character meal. You can kill two birds with one stone as you eat and meet. Its pricey but can also be a nice break for the whole family.

talie95
08-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. You all have such great tips and advice.....it's sure to make our trip a memorable one! :banana:

JenDisneylandlver
08-18-2006, 11:18 PM
I agree with the Character meal! If you are looking to see Goofy, Minnie, Donald, Pluto ect.. I'd go for a meal at Goofy's Kitchen. We get tons of great pictures with the characters. And this saves a lot of time from us having to wait in lines to see them in the park. Mickey usually isn't there, so that was the only one we usually stand in line for. But this year we have the Visa Disney Rewards card and were able to have a private meeting with Goofy and Mickey at Ariels Grotto. No one else was there and they interacted with my son great. Plus a free photo. That was a neat perk!

minnietoo
08-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Yes they do indeed do that. It generally happens three times a morning, with a different princess each time. Its free, just check your park schedule or ask at the gift shop itself when you arrive. They can tell you what princess is in each time slot.

These are not listed on the park schedule - I have been going off and on regularly since December and have never seen these on the schedule. I woudn't have known about them except - I heard it here first :disrocks:

minnietoo
08-19-2006, 09:59 AM
And to the OP, arrive at the park a half hour before opening. Main Street opens a half hour early and there are frequently characters near the train station.

Again - I have not seen this happen. The gates have not opened early (only for those with early entry passes) - the gates open at the posted time with the band and several characters - they dance and interact with the crowds - most folks are going to a land or ride and do not stop - so you will have interaction time with the Alice gang and others who attend. Everytime I have went this summer - it has only been the Alice gang and not always Alice herself. Maybe because this movie reached a milestone this year (55 years young).

Oo-de-lally Gal
08-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Pixar bugs in CA Adventure, Princesses in the Animators building. Goofy and Max in front of the Wave. Catch the charactors after "Drawn to the Magic"

Fab 5 on Main street and in Toontown, (Wait for Mickey in his House-worth it!)
Princesses and princes on the walkways at either side of the castle.
Mary Poppins and Bert at the Carnation plaza.
Pirates and Captain Jack Sparrow!!! New Orleans Square
Toy Story in Frontierland, usually around Golden Horseshoe or Big Thunder.
Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland
You should also expect to see lots of extra villains at that time of year because Disneyland will be celebrating Halloween in October.
Ask for a list at City Hall.

I second the motion for a character meal. Princesses in Ariel's Grotto, classics at Plaza Inn, Chipmunks and Bears at Storyteller's (Best food at Breakfast!! Yum!) Lilo, Stitch and Daisy at PPH.
Have a great time!! :sunny:

Amy&Dan
08-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Again - I have not seen this happen. The gates have not opened early (only for those with early entry passes) - the gates open at the posted time with the band and several characters - they dance and interact with the crowds - most folks are going to a land or ride and do not stop - so you will have interaction time with the Alice gang and others who attend. Everytime I have went this summer - it has only been the Alice gang and not always Alice herself. Maybe because this movie reached a milestone this year (55 years young).

Unless the official opening time is 8:00 a.m., the gates will open thirty minutes early. You can get on Main Street, any of its shops, the bakery and I believe Carnation Cafe. Everyone lines up for Rope Drop which when the official time of 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. happens, they count down and everyone files into the "lands" from Main Street. Now if its an EE day, you will see people going into Fantasyland and Tomorrowland if they have EE privildiges, security letting them into the lands while the non EE people wait on Main Street. In any case, we have many times in our visits, the most recent being this past June, gotten on to Main Street thirty mintues early. We have met several characters near the 50th exhibit/Steve Martin movie (formerly Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln). I have video of us doing this last September and last February (2006). Again this will only happen if the official opening time is after 8:00 a.m. At official opening, yes I too have frequently seen Alice characters, including Alice herself dancing along with the band, just into the turnstile area as guests enter the park at 8:00 a.m.

And as to your other point, here is a link about this event, as you can see another poster also reports that its listed in the daily times schedule:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1115305&highlight=storybook

Edited to add that I just found my Disneyland times guide from a previous trip. On the inside is a section titled Disney Characters. It has sections for Toontown, Critter Country, etc., and the bottom in the Fantasyland section at the very bottom is:
Once Upon a Time Storytelling
Inside The Disney Princess Shoppe
Daily: 11 am, 12, 1 p.m.

So unless they have changed things very recently, this event where kids can hear a story from a Disney Princess and then meet and greet afterwards, is indeed listed on the times guide (not to be confused with the park map, this is a separate paper type information sheet that lists the times for shows, parades, character meet and greets etc, as well as hours). And one more note to people: they are generally very strict about cutting off the time the princess will spend with the kids. Many people walk in after the story is over to try to join the line to meet the princess. Every time I have done this, a separate cm who has usually taken part in the story/skit will stand in the line so that the kids who stayed for the whole story and waited patiently to meet the princess will meet the princess not just last minute walk ups. Hope this helps!

MATTERHORN
08-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Unless the official opening time is 8:00 a.m., the gates will open thirty minutes early. You can get on Main Street, any of its shops, the bakery and I believe Carnation Cafe. Everyone lines up for Rope Drop which when the official time of 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. happens, they count down and everyone files into the "lands" from Main Street. Now if its an EE day, you will see people going into Fantasyland and Tomorrowland if they have EE privildiges, security letting them into the lands while the non EE people wait on Main Street. In any case, we have many times in our visits, the most recent being this past June, gotten on to Main Street thirty mintues early. We have met several characters near the 50th exhibit/Steve Martin movie (formerly Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln). I have video of us doing this last September and last February (2006). Again this will only happen if the official opening time is after 8:00 a.m. At official opening, yes I too have frequently seen Alice characters, including Alice herself dancing along with the band, just into the turnstile area as guests enter the park at 8:00 a.m.

!

Amy & Dan is right, anytime the park opens after 8am, you can get on Main Street 1/2 hour early and there is a rope at the end stopping you from going any further until official opening time.

Also the Princess Storytime is listed on a seperate little pamphlet you can get at the gate, it is white and lists all bands/activities for both parks for the day!

Andrea

minnietoo
08-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Amy & Dan is right, anytime the park opens after 8am, you can get on Main Street 1/2 hour early and there is a rope at the end stopping you from going any further until official opening time.

Also the Princess Storytime is listed on a seperate little pamphlet you can get at the gate, it is white and lists all bands/activities for both parks for the day!

Andrea

Thanks - I guess I haven't been recently when opening was after 8 AM.

Re: princess storytelling - I am looking at the Entertainment Guide for June 25-29 2006 - no mention of this anywhere on the guide. I have not seen it on any of my guides this summer. princess:

talie95
08-19-2006, 11:17 PM
So do you have to ask for that separate sheet with the times on it or do they give it to you with the map?

MATTERHORN
08-20-2006, 01:12 AM
So do you have to ask for that separate sheet with the times on it or do they give it to you with the map?

You can get in right at the turnstiles where the maps are, it will be white right next to them.

Also Minnietoo ~ Last time we were there, we didn't have any princess storytelling times listed either. But I have every other time. I thought it was just a fluke, like it was dark for that week. Guess it was most of June atleast!

Andrea

minnietoo
08-20-2006, 11:30 AM
thanks matterhorn - I was beginning to wonder if something happened to my brain cells

disneegrl4eva
08-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Many characters over the last two days. More than I think we saw last year at this time. Just as many rude people also.

Jack pirate:

poor jack :guilty:

kuusimo
08-20-2006, 10:20 PM
You know- I have two things that make me :furious: . First one is parents that cut in front of you because this is "their child's favorite character." Second is when they take the characters away without any warning. That happened to us one time with EVERY CHARACTER! Luckily my boys were understanding and trying to come up with creative things that Mickey, Pooh and Goofy had to do instead of say hi were quite interesting. It would be better if they gave a 5 minute warning or had a sign stating that they would be out from this time to this time.

TheZue
08-21-2006, 08:51 AM
They should really cut off the line with a CM, and not let anyone in it from that point forward. I cna't imagine being the person at the front of the line for the cut off. Man that would be awful with a small child who hates waiting (basically my kid) then seeing their character walk off...certainly wouldn't help them learn to wait patiently lol. Our child would seriously think he had done something wrong since we are teaching him that if he won't wait nicely he just won't get what he was waiting for since it isn't ready yet and he won't wait for it. Uggghh I hope that doesn't happen to us lol.

twinsmom2
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
When we have missed characters we tell our kids that they had to go to the bathroom and will be back in a little while. Since they are potty training themselves, they get the urgency of this and are okay with it.

Amy&Dan
08-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Generally speaking, the character (if its one that can talk, like a princess for example) will say periodically something to the effect of, "I have to go see the dwarfs in just a few minutes" to sort of let people know they will be leaving shortly. Sometimes a cm will accompany the character and make an announcement that the character will be leaving in two minutes or will only be able to sign x amount of autographs. Then of course there's the times when all is going well, you are getting close and then boom, they have to leave. Its hard to predict. Its frustrating and they need a better system in place. This is one of those areas where I think you can see that Disneyland is short staffed, they just don't have enough cm's to accompany the characters and keep it organized. The best run character meet and greet at Disneyland in my opinion is the Pooh one back by Splash. Separate, roped off que's, cm's there to help out and they are there throughout most of the day. I think its just a good idea to let your child know, if they are old enough to understand that somtimes even waiting in a long line can't guarantee they will see the character but that all you can do is try. And my poor daughter once waited in line patiently for Snow White (this was at MGM Studios in WDW) two times during one day, only to be told as she got up there Snow White had to leave. Some tears and a very bummed Snow White too, but they lead her off anyway. It does indeed stink!