PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Bear Restaurant

DLRimagineer
08-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey guys...just like the French Market post...we're thinking of having lunch at the Hungry Bear during our stay at Disneyland, so i want as much info as possible on the place. We heard it has a nice atmosphere/view....but we want toknow more about the food, quality and price and definetly the service and wait time to be expected there. Also what are your suggestions for a nice place to have dinner in either fantasyland or tomorrowland (as thats where we plan on being in the park during dinner time). We're not looking for anything fancy, so a good quality "theme park food place." Thanks in advance for everyone's help

DLR29
08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
We ate there during our last visit. OK food at best. Typical amusement park food. Burgers & fries. The lines were very long but there were plenty of tables. I don't remember much about the prices. Hope that helps a little

Hermosa11
08-14-2006, 10:28 PM
This is such a lovely place to eat! It gives you an out of the way feel and a lovely place near the Rivers of America Our Laughing Place (http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/dd.asp?step=4&third=HBR&locID=DLR) ...........Theme Park Insider (http://www.themeparkinsider.com/reviews/disneyland/hungry_bear_restaurant/)

MATTERHORN
08-14-2006, 11:57 PM
I do love the atmosphere and my favorite bathrooms in the whole park are downstairs. That said, I did not like the burger the first time there, and I did not like the roast beef sandwich the second time there. The food just is not my cup of tea, and the lines are just as slow if not slower than French Market. Price is standard $6.00-$9.00 and about $5.99 for the kids meal.

But the tables have a wonderful view of the River and we always see our favorite cats hanging around upstairs by the tables! Also the downstairs eating area is very shady and cool when it's warm out!

Andrea

cinderella_mom
08-14-2006, 11:58 PM
This was always my favorite place to eat as a kid. It's typical fare with burgers, fries, salads and the only place to get a veggie burger. You can sit along the river bank and watch the canoes and boats go by and also watch the kids playing on TSIsland.

hlbtimes2
08-15-2006, 12:29 AM
The burgers are ok. Because the service is a slow, they always tend to be a bit cold. They come on a kaiser type roll. The bacon on them is good! They have lettuce and tomato. Mayo, mustard and ketchup are in packets for you to add yourself. Thekids meals are mini corn dogs or chicken nuggets- nothing special.

Biggest complaint is the service time. It takes for ever to get your food.

The view is wonderful. You can see the boats coming by, and there are always ducks waiting for a hand out. If you like cats, keep an eye out for stray kitties. They like to hang out in that area.

DLRimagineer
08-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Ok, after reading all this....i gotta ask....whats everyones best recommendation to grab a quick bite to eat for lunch (30-45min alloted time for lunch). Again i'm not looking for the Blue Bayou...just a nice place with good quality food and service....preferably somewhere in either New Orleans Square or Critter Country or nearby. For Dinner recommendations, as stated before, Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. Hope i'm not being a pain....just trying toplan a memorable (organized) trip :wizard: Thanks so much for the help and responses guys....i'd be lost :confused3 without u :thumbsup2

Dis Ohana
08-15-2006, 01:12 AM
The food isn't all that great, the wait for the food is ridiculously long, but Hungry Bear remains one of the places we always eat at while in the park. We love the atmosphere of the place and you can usually get a nice table in the shade even on busy days. I'd recommend it.

stagemomx3
08-15-2006, 02:40 AM
It's funny to read about slow service. The Hungry Bear was probably the fastest services of our whole trip! I loved the atmosphere of eating out on the covered porch area. Even though it was packed there, sitting by the river was very relaxing.

princesstigerlilly
08-15-2006, 03:01 AM
I'll go against the tide here and admit I like the Hungry Bear's burgers, lol. They just taste like Disneyland to me...nothing gourmet, but tasty enough and the setting is great. maybe it's the trip down memory lane, but I almost always have to have Hungry Bear. I like to get there at opening, and have never had anything but quick service and hot food. Bengal BBQ is always good-while not a meal, it follows a corn dog off the wagon in the hub pretty well, lol. (Oh, and Dole Whips are nearby, too)

For dinner maybe Redd Rocket's in TL. The penne is good and the chicken fusilli is great, and pizza and salads are available too.

As far as a nice place, well they are few and far between inside DL. Don't get me wrong, I love the food at DL (as in sentimental love it), but it's not like the food options at WDW.

I hope it's okay to post this link for some Disneyland menus for you to look over!
http://www.*****************/DisneylandMenus/dlmenus.html

DancingQueen
08-16-2006, 02:07 AM
I agree about Red Rockett's in Tomorrowland. They have good food, and the portions are big enough to split.

We ate at Cafe Orleans and highly recommend it. The prices are cheaper than the Blue Bayou, yet the food is awesome and it is table service.

HTH! :)

stagemomx3
08-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Where is Redd Rocketts? I don't remember seeing it.

iceskatejen
08-16-2006, 12:35 PM
It's more commonly called Pizza Port and it's near the entrance to Space Mountain.

ScooterL
08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree with the recommendations for Redd Rockett's Pizza Port - they have great salads and I really like their pizza, too. The portions are quite large.

Rancho del Zocalo would be my second choice, though I don't really like the new menu that much - it's only OK Mexican food now. But again, large portions. And you get REAL plates and REAL flatware to eat with!!!

Laura

SilverCeladon
08-16-2006, 03:06 PM
I've never heard of Redd Rockett's either! I'll have to keep a look out for that since pizza is one thing my son will eat!

MulanFan
08-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Food was OK, but lines were long (got there around lunchtime). I think all DL food is higher than average, but I expected that. I thought the burger meal was just a little too small to split if you happened to be really hungry, but we split it anyway because we got DD a kid's meal and figured we'll be finishing that off.

Mom2micayla
08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
I feel pretty much the same as everyone else. Ok food, slow service but it's a great location.

I second Red Rockett's Pizza Port. Their chicken ceaser salad is delicious! My kids really liked the cheese ravioli.

Rancho de Zocalo is decent too. It can take a while depending on the time of day and the crowds. The good is decent (definitely americanized mexican food) and the portions are huge. :nod: One of the better values in the park.

iheartdisney
08-17-2006, 01:07 PM
I absolutely love hungry bear. Simple theme park fare, but its the best place to eat! we always go downstairs, there are bathrooms, and you can wave to the canoes, Riverboat passengers, and my kids favorite, you get to feed your leftover fries to the ducks! If you are into the souvineer cups, thats where we got Woody from.(they are really good for refilling with water for the kiddos) Great place out of the sun!! As with the Blue Bayou, get a table by the water!
I'll throw my vote in for R2P2 (Pizza Port) After a day at the Theme Parks, I'm so tired of Burgers, Fries and Junk food, their Salads hit the spot, and the Pizza is big enough for my kids to split. Be sure to grab your dressing (I sometimes forget, and then am too tired to go back for it.) The main thing to remember here is that it is Cafeteria style with different stations (Pizza, salad, etc), so do not wait in the line at that station unless it is what you want.
Have fun!!!!

audrabolster
10-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I just ate here the other day, meals are under $10 per person- it's great to sit by the river and eat! A great little break in a busy day!

BillyFan
10-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I second Rancho. Huge portions, big enough to easily share. I also love their Caesar Salad. They have lots of heat lamps outside, so it is a nice dinner option when it is chilly out. DLR is much smaller than Magic Kingdom in WDW, so it is MUCH easier to hop from one land to another for a quick meal.

tinkermell
10-06-2007, 10:46 PM
We love the French Market French Dips. Huge sandwiches and fries. Enough to share if you want. It's one of our favorite spots to eat, and I also love the area.

lovegrumpy
10-06-2007, 11:30 PM
We always ate here when we went to Disneyland. The kids loved it.

mariezp
10-07-2007, 03:16 PM
You could grab one of the soup bowls at the Royal Street Veranda. My DH grabs the chowder bowls while I grab chicken strips for the kids at the Stage Door Café. Both are fairly fast service.

For sit down in NOS, I have to agree that Cafe Orleans is pretty good, though Blue Bayou is our favorite.

BlueBayou
10-07-2007, 09:28 PM
For quick we like the Royal Street Veranda or Bengal BBQ. We have never eaten at Hungry Bear - but we have hung out and watched the ducks downstairs near the bathroom. It is a great place to get out of the crowds and rest a little.

wvnative
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
We like the Hungry Bear. We normally grab lunch there at least once during out trip. I've got to go against the grain for the time being about Red Rocketts though. We weren't impressed. I didn't think the pizza was very good (bit of a pizza snob) and I honestly don't care for pasta. I'm thinking maybe we'll give it a second chance on our next trip though.

When we want a quick, easy lunch, we grab a corn dog. It's always filling, we can usually find a seat on a bench under the tree by the first aid station, and there's usually some sort of entertainment going on in the general area.