PDA

View Full Version : Anybody like me or do all of the DISers go to Disney every year?

IHeartTink04
08-12-2006, 01:03 AM
I feel like the biggest goober looking at these every day and my boyfriend thinks I am a nut. I have not do not go to Disney World every year nor do I get to go more than once a year. I ready these boards every and I don't even have a trip planned and I probably won't be going for two years and that will be a total of four years since my last visit!!!! Obviously it is impossible for me to pay to go because I am a college student but my family doesn't go every year (like I would love) and I don't even know anyone around my area who gets to go every year. It seems that everyone else on here goes more than once a year if not every year. I was just wondering if there are any other people who are so Disney obssessed like me that they read these just see whats new in Disney and remember things for trips that are years away hoping that some of the things will still be around when they get there. I feel like I am the only one. :blush: :blush: I am just hoping that when I get out of school I can go every year too! :cool1:

IHeartTink04
08-12-2006, 01:10 AM
:guilty: Sorry for any typos I pretty much don't proof read before I submit!

Michele
08-12-2006, 01:17 AM
No, I have to say I am just the opposite. I get way too depressed on the Disboards if I don't have a trip planned. I am only here when we have a tirp coming up.

But, oh boy, when it's that time I can't tear myself away. I don't have a lot of posts, cause I don't feel like I have a lot to contribute and I'm not funny or clever (read thread killer). But I read as much as I can.

MissMagnolia
08-12-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm like Michele. I frequent the boards when I'm planning a trip. We usually go every other year. My DH gets burned out on WDW. The last time we were there was in Jan. of 2004. We are going this August because we are celebrating my DD's "mastering of the potty". :banana:

torinsmom
08-12-2006, 06:14 AM
This year, I am going twice, but until 2006, we hadn't been since 2001! So don't feel alone. If I can get free dining again, we will probably go next fall(we have days left on our tickets) but after that, we will probably be waiting 2-3 years to go back.

Marsha

Eoywin
08-12-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm new the the Dis, but I'm guessing I'll only be on here when I'm planning a trip.

I know for sure we won't be able to go at all in 2008 (we are going to Europe for 2 weeks), so the next possible time would be 2009.

sticker231
08-12-2006, 08:46 AM
I hadn't gone in over ten years before last October. We had so much fun with the kids when we went. We got a great deal on a time share, in fact we bought two weeks. We went this past April and are going again in October. We don't take any other real vacations, so our trips to WDW are it :cool1: Some people live closer, get more vacation time, have more cash, whatever. Enjoy the chances you get to visit. You never know, your situation will probably change after school and you will be able to visit more frequently.

PaMom001
08-12-2006, 08:53 AM
We went as a family in Dec. 1976. Then my sis, who was married and had 1 kid and our parents, went in Dec. 1997 or so. I didn't go due to the fact that I had just seperated from my then husband. We all, our parents, me & my kid, my sis, her hubby and 3 kids, went in Dec. 2003 and then again in Dec. 2006. We all won't be going like that ever again. Before my DD then 9 and I went last year she said she never want to go to WDW again, gasp. When we were there she said that she wanted to go again, but just the 2 of us. IF we go again, it will be many years.

EEYOREMAMA
08-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry, please don't throw things (I would hate my new monitor to break), but I'm one of those people that are always on the boards and always either planning my next vacation or there already.

Don't hate me, I'm 90 minutes away and a very nice person :teeth:

pixie dust 112
08-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm like Michele. I frequent the boards when I'm planning a trip. We usually go every other year. My DH gets burned out on WDW. The last time we were there was in Jan. of 2004. We are going this August because we are celebrating my DD's "mastering of the potty". :banana:

Yes any excuse will do. When my DD mastered the party she only got a Barbie.

sherreis
08-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I haven't been there since 1989, when DH and I spent a few days of our honeymoon there. This is our first family trip - my boys are 6 and 11. I can't see us going every year or definitely not multiple times/year. It is way too expensive for us. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking, maybe, if we had the funds, we could return in 3 years while my 6 yr old still qualifies for childrens' rates for tickets and DDP. But, that year will also be older son's Bar Mitzvah.
Maybe, I can talk older son into DW trip instead of a big party?
I also look forward to taking our new granddaughter some day. My DSD had a baby in April and I can't wait to share princess stuff with her.

Newfie2000
08-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Don't feel bad... we all are not fortunate enough to go that often! :sad: I last went in 2004 and have our next trip planned in February 2007! This was a completely unexpected trip but one which we were not able to pass up! I get great enjoyment out of the boards and forsee myself frequenting them even when there is not a trip in the works. Just think of all the tips/stories and information you will have by the time you wind up making the trip... and enjoy yourself in the process! This is a great group of people! :grouphug:

ThreeAngels
08-12-2006, 11:48 AM
:guilty: I wish we COULD go every year, but that's just not financially possible for us. I hope to still get on here once we're back from our much-anticipated trip, but it might be a little too depressing. We'll see, I may just not be able to stay away from here OR Disney. There's worse things to go broke on....... :thumbsup2

sunny_
08-12-2006, 12:48 PM
We like to go every other year while the kids are still little. We went last year and are only going again this year because of the free dining deal. We couldn't pass it up so we booked a cheap package at a value resort and even got airline tickets for 54.88 per person! woo hoo

But once the kids are grown, I'd like to only go to Disney every 3 or 4 years. I'd love to see Hawaii or the Grand Canyon or Mexico sometime in my life. My dh is Disney obsessed though! lol

Adam1217
08-12-2006, 12:55 PM
this is my first trip and I'm already thinking about when to go again next year lol thats horrible and I havent even gone on the first trip!!! I will tell you that Hawaii is a beautiful place and when you do finally get there you will love it.

Mousema
08-12-2006, 01:07 PM
DS and I have gone 6 or 7 times. Now he is college bound, so I'm taking DM (86). This will probably be my last trip until I retire (about 6 or 7 years), unless I can get another free dining bargain.

natenapril
08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
My Dh is in the Air Force and so we live too far away to go often. We went before we came up here to Alaska and are going next year when we leave here :banana: .
If my Dh next duty station is Europe we will be going to Disneyland Paris next time :cool1: .
I can't wait til next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

byoung
08-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Now we will always have a trip planned.

kristenrice
08-12-2006, 10:00 PM
I am in the same boat as IHeartTink04. :boat:
We couldn't go every year if we wanted to and DH does NOT want to. He thinks I have a serious addiction because I am always reading the DisBoard threads. :surfweb: I am planning our trip for January of 2008 and I bet he will be grateful for my addiction when we go and all goes smoothly thanks to the folks here :disrocks: Until I can actively arrange the trip (book a room, buy plane tickets, make ADR's, etc) I have to live vicariously through fellow DISers. My trip will be here soon enough and afterwards, I can live on the DIS again for another 6 or seven years until I can talk DH into another trip. Maybe I'll win the lottery and I can buy into DVC! :wizard:

PrincessBrideJo
08-12-2006, 11:14 PM
I went last in 2002 with my MIL for one day (went to MK) and then before that with my hubby in 2001 for our honeymoon! Don't get your hopes up too much, I have graduated college and we will prolly never be able to go every year or even every other year.

I am obsessed with Disney, but we really just can't afford a vacation every year. We weren't even planning on going this year, but it just "came up". We got a HUGE tax return and our best friends were going so there ya go.

I hope when I have more kids (I have one son, 19 months, who is not going this time) we can go every few years (like 3-5)as I love Disney and hope they will too!!!!

helenm29
08-13-2006, 12:44 AM
I pretty much only do the boards when we are getting ready to go because I get too depressed if we aren't. :teeth: We seem to be able to get a trip together about every 3 years but the next big trip will be a cruise to Alaska which will be in 4 years because it will be my 30th wedding anniversary! the twins will be 17 by then and a bit more independant...I hope! :rotfl2: I probably won't be able to go with just my hubby till they are married! :rotfl: Helen

Harvest02
08-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Well, until I found this DIS board, I was not that obsessed with Disney! We went in June, and thanks to all the helpful tips, we had a great time(and we saved lots of money from all the ideas on here). Before our past trip in June, we hadn't gone since January 2002. Now that my kids are 9 and 5, I feel they are good ages to go more often. We NEVER go more than once a year because like others on here, we can't financially afford to do so. I wish we lived closer so we could go more often, but just not in the cards!!! I read these boards daily to keep my sanity and to keep the Disney spirit alive! We are planning another trip for October 2007 for MNSSHP. My kids really want to do that. At least we have another trip planned so that we have something to look forward to!!! :sunny:

apirateslifeforme
08-13-2006, 08:23 AM
I WISH I could go every year! I just can't afford it. I can't even afford to take a vacation every year to begin with - I just had my first trip in 2 years. And then, I have other places to go, too. This trip was to Chicago to see my family. I want to get back to Washington DC (haven't been there in 13 years), and to England, and Egypt eventually...

But I REALLY am feeling the Disney withdrawals!

allaboutmm
08-13-2006, 10:38 AM
We went 2yrs in a row (very special treat), but every other year is our plan. O.K. we are hoping(the family) for Aug 2007, but then our 15yr anniversary is 10/08, and you know where I want to spend it( just DH and myself)! Honestly every other year is our plan though!! If I find a $ tree, that would all change. I'd go every year.

rkujay
08-13-2006, 10:49 AM
We do not go once a year.

We do, however, go nearly twice a month.
:cool1:

Disney Paris in September 06!

LiLIrishChick63
08-13-2006, 03:49 PM
i don't get to go every year. I WISH! i don't have that kind of money to spend on trips. i went last year, and i won't be going again until probably next year.

cindarella
08-13-2006, 03:53 PM
We have been very lucky and gone two years in a row. Not the norm. But it's okay. I am addicted to reading. I don't post as much as I like.

tlstyxx1
08-13-2006, 05:43 PM
During non-Disney years, I get on periodically just to see what is going on. We are trying to plan a trip for next June and for the past month I have been reading the boards religiously!!! I wish I was one of the lucky ones that gets to go to Disney regularly. Our last trip was in 2004.

BeckWhy
08-13-2006, 05:52 PM
I go every other year. I don't feel left out that I can't go every year, or more than once a year.

eliza61
08-13-2006, 06:06 PM
I feel like the biggest goober looking at these every day and my boyfriend thinks I am a nut. I have not do not go to Disney World every year nor do I get to go more than once a year. I ready these boards every and I don't even have a trip planned and I probably won't be going for two years and that will be a total of four years since my last visit!!!! Obviously it is impossible for me to pay to go because I am a college student but my family doesn't go every year (like I would love) and I don't even know anyone around my area who gets to go every year. It seems that everyone else on here goes more than once a year if not every year. I was just wondering if there are any other people who are so Disney obssessed like me that they read these just see whats new in Disney and remember things for trips that are years away hoping that some of the things will still be around when they get there. I feel like I am the only one. :blush: :blush: I am just hoping that when I get out of school I can go every year too! :cool1:

No you are not a goober at all, and you are definitely not the only one. My family and I go about every other year. First of all, no matter how you go Disney is an expensive vacation, for most people that means taking time to save the money. Next, even though my dh and I are disney nuts we do like to do other things. so there may be times when we don't go for a few years.

Donald is #1
08-13-2006, 06:40 PM
No, you are not the only one. :thumbsup2 Even though I am thinking about going twice this up coming year, I haven't been to WDW since 2000. As much as I love WDW, I also enjoy going other places. I went 3 times in 18 months in 1999/2000 and I haven't been back since except for a cruise. Of course by now I am suffering withdrawal and can't wait until my October trip. :yay:

MomofCKJ
08-13-2006, 06:51 PM
We (DH and I) have not been since 1997 and our kids (ages 9,7, and 4) have NEVER been. This coming December will be their first trip. It is just too expensive for us to even consider going yearly. When all is said and done this trip will be over $5K (counting shuttles to and from airports, dog boarding, etc) and we are staying at a Value (we need 2 rooms, there are 5 of us). Anyway, as much as I would love to go yearly, it just isn't going to happen. Our yearly trip is renting a house at the beach in Maine and we love that and it's about half the cost of this trip.

Allyson

Master Mason
08-13-2006, 07:24 PM
I hadn't been since 84. Then I went to DL and WDW within 3 weeks :) It was my first time at WDW. Now that I have experienced it WDW was for work so it was just me, I need to take the kids back They will love it

thatduffgirl
08-14-2006, 09:15 PM
My DH can always tell when life is getting stressful, because I glue myself to the Disboards and can't stop thinking about going.

We try to go every 2-3 years, we really scrimp and save and it is basically the only vacation we take together as a family. My view is where else can we go as a family that everyone will have a great time and my husband can finally relax! We have had so many magical family moments at Disney World, virtually all of my favorite memories have happened there, so I long to go back!

I am trying to hammer out a trip for next October, but Uncle Sam is conspiring against us!

Momerath
08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
We went twice last year, but have decided not to go again until our credit card debt & car loans are paid off, which will probably be 2008 or 2009. :sad: However, reading the DIS is fun and entertaining. A lot of times I find myself flipping through various threads and I would rather do that than watch TV!

:disrocks:

jimmalru80
08-15-2006, 03:22 PM
We make every effort to go every year and we have been pretty lucky in doing so.

abcboys
08-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Do not feel alone. I'm not even sure why I read the disboards except I think it's very interesting!! Last time I was there was my honeymoon 10 years ago in 96. Now I have 3 kids and would love to take them. My first plan is May 08 while youngest in not yet 3 but I feel I have to make the trip PERFECT since it will be our only dis trip for a LONG time. I'm like "is it worth it to take a less than 3 year old?" "but if we waited longer we would have to get a more expensive room for 5 and oldest DS will be over 10". "I really don't want to go during the summer" Decsions, decisions!! :confused3

deekaypee
08-16-2006, 02:39 PM
We don't go every year--I wish we could, but DH isn't that big of a Disney fan, we have family spread out over the country, and we like to visit new places too. Oh, yeah, and we have a budget. How could I forget about that. (Answer: wishful thinking...)

I like to come here, though, in order to be around other Disney fans. I do admit that I sometimes get depressed that I'm not the one going when I read about everyone's plans. But all these TRs and plans and questions gives me incentive to save more $$$$$ so my next trip comes all the sooner! :thumbsup2

indsun
08-16-2006, 03:17 PM
We where planning our trip last year and were just lucky to be doing it during free dining so we got that promo. This year when it came up we knew what a great deal it was so we booked again. It had been 2003 since we had been there. My DH says next big vacation needs to involve surfing or fishing or he's not going. I on the other hand am trying to explain to him that we should buy AP passes and why that would be such a great deal blah blah blah. Hopefully after this trip he will see my way a little more. ;)

goofylover
08-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Great Thread!
My DH and I saved up for a trip to WDW and the DCL. We had a lot of money and we were going to go and live like kings! Well, we decided on a whim to move to a bigger house last year - smartest thing we ever did - BUT we had to use all that money we had saved for the new house!
But our kids are 9 and 7 and we decided to go anyway! Hey - It's only money. We went to WDW for 5 nights and the 7 night Western cruise. Incredible! My only regret is not staying a couple of nights at the Nicolodeon hotel.
But like a lot of you we want to go lots of other places like Hawaii and DC. We live right by DL and go all the time so we are lucky.

SarahK
08-17-2006, 06:51 AM
I'd love to go every year, but that isn't going to happen. It's expensive, and takes me some time to save up! Plus, DH isn't such a fan, mostly because he's never been there, so it's taken 2 years to even convince him to come with me. Otherwise I have to go with a friend or by myself. I have 2 trips planned in 2007, but then I probably won't be back till 2009. But I read the DIS like crazy to get my fix!! :rotfl:

twinspluscade
08-17-2006, 07:17 AM
The only reason I've been on here so much lately is because we have a WDW trip planned for next month. I haven't been to WDW since 1986, and Dh hasn't since 1975! Obviously our kids never have.
As much as I would LOVE to go to Disney every year, for us it just isn't financially feasible since we live so far from WDW. Plus I have so many other places I want to vacation at--and we don't have the time or money to do all that plus a WDW trip every year. We'll probably do one more Disney trip when the kids are young, and then I don't see us going back until Dh and I are "empy nesters", LOL!

Kelly

Elmo888
08-17-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm with the others.

My plan is every 4 or 5 years. It is just too costly to go every year, and there are other places that I would like to go. If time and money were not a factor, I would love to go every year. My girls will be 6 and 2 when we go in January, so I would like to go again when the 2 yo is about 6 or 7.

In any case, every few months, I come to these boards, look at the WDW web site, watch my WDW videos (from the Travel Channel and the WDW vacation DVD), just to get my fill.

Finally, I have a good excuse to be here with a trip planned for January! It is our 10th anniversary and our girls' first trip, so it seems completely worth it money-wise.

VolleyballQt07
08-18-2006, 09:37 AM
We go about every 2 years...Thats how long it takes for us to earn enought points on our various hotel rewards/credit card rewards to pay for the trip. :thumbsup2

Frantasmic
08-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I went 92, 94, 99, 2005, and now 2006 because of a business trip my wife is making to the area (saves us her airfare and some per diem). So, that averages out to once every 3 years. (94 was a business trip opportunity too, one I wish I hadn't pursued in retrospect. Daughter was only 18 months old and scared of the characters. We went in August, when it was stifling, raining every afternoon, and crowded)

So, nope, you are not alone

zipuzee
08-18-2006, 03:24 PM
I've been in 1976, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1995, 2001 and 2006 (just last month). Our average seems to be every 4 -6 years. We probably won't go again for a couple of years, and that works for us. I'd like to go back for Epcot's Food and Wine Festival; and since my youngest is 17, it may be just DH and I on the next trip. And then again, my niece wants to go just before her oldest starts school, which will be in two years, and we may do the whole family thing. That would be 10-15 of us. While we love Disney, we also like to go other places as well.

Disneybabe84
08-18-2006, 07:15 PM
:cloud9: we try to go every year :p But the b/f also likes to see other places and plan other trips. I told him that no matter what, we have to at least go once every year in the near future! He's a dis nut just like me haha.

sunnygirl
08-19-2006, 06:29 PM
My in-laws have an Orlando timeshare at the end of August, so we try to go down then (they got a 3 bedroom on purpose so all the kids and grandkids would come down and join them). I LOVE WDW, but my husband is not such a fan. I've managed to get him to go the last two years, but to be honest, it just wasn't worth it last year with him. He was a crank. Our two DDs wanted to play in the pool more...only the in-laws seemed pleased (they never do the parks, but I talked them into Epcot and they loved it!).

Anyway, this year I have a new job and can't go down at this time. He's taking the DDs and planning on just doing MK and Cirque (the one thing he really liked). I mentioned that a one day ticket is $70 now and he was shocked! I am hoping to go back down with my sister, probably in Dec 2007, for a long weekend. She and I had a great time 2 years ago. It's best to go with those who can share in the Disney magic. :goodvibes I've also mentioned to my girls about taking a mom-daughter trip with each of them at some point...that would be fun.

For now, I am just reading through the boards and reliving my memories... :sunny:

DisneyBride94
08-19-2006, 09:09 PM
We've gone nearly every year since we got married... It's part of what is special about our marriage... Disney is part of our romance. :)

And now our kids are hooked...

We go once a year...though we struggle and scare ourselves when the bill comes in...

I hope you get to go when you are out of school... I went one year on Spring Break when I was in college... with my cousin... we met up with my then boyvfriend who was down with his brother and mother and sister... it was not NEARLY as fun as going with my husband. :)

Remember--going to school gives you a boost in your income earning ability... which means you stand a better chance at having a salary that affords you the ability to go yearly to the World.

In the meantime... live vicariously through everyone else and soak up the magic... Visiting Disney boards is what holds me over between trips... For me, planning is half the fun...

:wave:

the Fidge
08-19-2006, 09:22 PM
WE had gone before under DHs great protests! WE had stayed off the proerty the times before but after staying at POFQ last April the WHOLE family is hooked! DH asked if we could go by ourselves to just stay at the resort!

SO now I am l excited since next year we will go again in April for their birthdays but I am hoping the Budget Boards will teach me how to squeeze a trip for the both of us during free dining!

I promised DS for his 12th birthday we will go to Yellowstone I will have withdrawls that year I fear!

Do you think its too early to plan his wedding at WDW he is 10 now! :rotfl2:

Sehsun
09-03-2006, 01:19 PM
I love reading DISboards every day, even if I don't have plans to go in the near future. I too find it more entertaining than t.v. sometimes, as one poster mentioned.

I live in FL, and I don't even go every year. Maybe because it's hard to find people to go with. The one time I've stayed overnight (and it was on location) was for a dance competition that was held at the Wide World of Sports. All the other times I've gone, it was a one-day trip.

Hopefully I will be able to go a lot more times in the future. Maybe I'll consider taking a solo trip, since I am very independent and like going places alone.

DizneyNutz
09-03-2006, 02:35 PM
When Dw and I took our first trip together, she had never been and I had not been since childhood in the 70s. She was worried about the expense and suggested a value or moderate. I said let's do it up right, because we might never get the chance to go back :lmao: We decided to stay at WL :goodvibes We drove all night (9 hours) and arrived at 5:30 am that trip and walked into the lobby of the WL and were both in awe. We attempted check in knowing that 4:00 pm was the official time and the CM politely advised us that our room was not ready :sad: BUT WAIT says the CM "Let's just upgrade you to one that is" pixiedust: We had the best time and decided to try to go back the next year. :banana: We made it happen and again drove. This time we ventured out off property to see what was around. We knew we couldn't make it happen three years in a row :sad2: and stayed at the WL again. I found a link to win a trip to WDW on the Downtown Disney site. The DW diligently submitted us every opportunity. Yes we actually won a four night five day stay w/parkhoppers :cool1: We said to ourselves that was it for a while. :rotfl2: three months after our return home, we were checking into the DVC (which we had avoided the kiosks fervently on every trip) :3dglasses We bought DVC :Pinkbounc We have figured out ways for us to cut costs and make the trips less expensive (buying 10 day tickets w/ no expiration, eating offsite sometimes, etc.) and found that it is doable for us. We are planning our first year layoff next year since we have been married to do a cruise. I have been informed just today, that we might be looking into a little visit to THE WORLD, since we will be in Florida anyway. So it didn't start out to be an annual event, but it's where we really enjoy going to get away from all the work and family drama back home.

martyshoney
09-03-2006, 06:42 PM
We only manage to make it out there every 3 years or so. Our next trip is in Jan. for my DD's 5th birthday and since a friend told me about this site about a month ago I am now addicted to it!

DisneyFairy19
09-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Sorry I am total opposite.. I go probably 5 times a year... I hope you will go soon.. Its such a fun and nostalgic experience

WildernessChick
09-03-2006, 10:41 PM
I was lucky enough to visit DW last year, but before that trip, it had been at least ten years since I had been. With student loans and wedding bills, it will probably be another ten years before we can go back. But I still visit the board often. :yay: :yay: :yay:

TMB1203
09-24-2006, 09:32 AM
We generally go every year (since 1999). Owning DVC makes this possible, otherwise we wouldn't have the upfront money every year.

Also, I have a sis in law in the keys and one in CA so we try to alternate our trips so that one year our FL family comes up and then the next year we spend in CA. We generally have enough points to buy their room for them. We get to go to Disney and see the family. It works out well.

I just came across this board and am so happy with all the new things I am learning even for somebody that goes so often!