PDA

View Full Version : Quick Service At A Resort You Are Not Staying At?

DannyDisneyFreak
08-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Are there any counter service places at another resort you would make a trip to even though you are not staying there? Just wondering, thanks.

scanne
08-10-2006, 04:44 PM
The Mara at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is so nice! Much nicer than any of the other deluxe resort quick service locations. I'm hoping they are modeling Captain Cook's at the Polynesian after this. It is huge, has a great selection and just really stands out in my mind - we stayed there in 2001.

DannyDisneyFreak
08-10-2006, 05:19 PM
The Mara at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is so nice! Much nicer than any of the other deluxe resort quick service locations. I'm hoping they are modeling Captain Cook's at the Polynesian after this. It is huge, has a great selection and just really stands out in my mind - we stayed there in 2001.
It's so funny that is the first response on this thread because that was the one place I was looking at that gave me the idea to start this thread. I thought we might catch lunch there and check out the savana, when we went to Boma last trip it was too dark to see the animals.
What makes it so much nicer in your mind? How about the food?

scanne
08-10-2006, 05:36 PM
The layout is so nice. It's big and open and they had different food stations - salad, pizza, pasta, sandwich - IF memory serves! ;) Also all the menus were computerized and well-lit. I don't know if I'm remembering it 100% correctly, but I would definitely go back. I do remember having a delicious soup - maybe similar to the carrot-ginger soup served at Boma. I know we'll be staying at AKL again someday when our kids are bigger and stroller-lugging is out of the picture.

Hope this helps!!!

sstucush
08-10-2006, 09:26 PM
We also like Mara (pepperpot soup) but I don't think I'd make a trip to AKL just to eat there.

AuroraBorealis
08-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Another vote for the Mara! African Stew and Zebra Domes-- yum! There are several different food stations and everything is marked very clearly. I.e. snacks, drinks, salads, entrees, etc. The menu is computerized and very easy to read. If you want to spend some time at the AKL to see the animals the Mara would be a good place to eat.

CoolDisneyCat
08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
We like Mara alot and we are very picky about such places. Most are too crowded, noisy, etc. The food is quite good. When we eat at Boma or Jiko we stop by and pick up some zebra domes and a chicken sandwich on pretzel bread for later.

If you have no plans for Jiko or Boma, I would say, yes, Mara is worth the trip to check out the Lodge. More accurately, the Lodge is worth the trip and you might as well have lunch at Mara. AKL is the most beautifully themed resort at WDW. Be sure to visit the gift shop. It's the best on property.

Another option would be a late breakfast at Boma. We are eating there at 10:45 am on our upcoming trip.

patsal
08-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Mara and POFQ--I can't answer why to the FQ, but we really like it--we have a car so it is no different to eat at say Boma or WCC than to go to POFQ or Mara.

MrsJ Henry
08-11-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm with others. Mara. We love the African chicken stew in the bread bowl!!!!
Atmosphere and food are both good. :cool1:

GoodFairies
08-11-2006, 10:39 AM
I have to disagree with everyone about the Mara. I stayed at AKL 2 weeks ago and it was decent but definitely not worth a trip to AKL solely to go there. I thought it was very small compared to value and moderate food courts, and there was only one hot food station that you got everything at (= 1 line) and then the bakery station.

faindrops27
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I wish to try the beignets, so I will have to somehow by disney transport to get over to port orleans to try them!

PlutoLuvr
08-11-2006, 10:55 AM
We stay off site in our timeshare, but we'll make a trip to the Pepper Market for breakfast once in a while if we're going by. I also love the store at that hotel, so we sort of kill two birds with one stone :)

Minnie
08-11-2006, 01:19 PM
We do this on most trips....

Mara'a - Zebra domes and yogurt parfaits
WL - chocolate brownie - just have to stop at the WL