PDA

View Full Version : Leaving to Disney in two weeks and husband might be loosing his job..........

lisaross
08-10-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't know what to do with myself. Let me start off by saying that i've been planning this family trip 1st to Disney for almost a year! Now its almost here and i don't even want to go - but will - its paid for and my kids can't wait! That being said, i am a SAHM - my husband has been at his job for 15 years and messed up and might be getting fired next week - he's now out on suspension - no pay!

Yesterday i went to sign up for a temp agency - and i will do what needs to be done, but i'm so so afraid! What do we do???? I have a mortgage to pay, about $5000 in savings which can go real fast............

HOw will we survive - two kids 4 & 6- don't want them to know anything about whats going on - don't want them afraid upset, etc.

What about health coverage?? i worry about everything (have not eaten in days) i live in NY so i think you can get free health coverage for kids - but what about me and husband? Also, if he gets unemployment, then he can't get a part time job? i know i can but we no back up of family so one of us must be home for the kids afterschool/holidays etc..........

i can't believe this is happening to me at almost 40!!

Just venting

lisa

dznybound
08-10-2006, 10:49 AM
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

HayGan
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM
First of all, plenty of hugs for you! I'm sure that this is hard enough without a pending vacation.

Since you are most likely beyond the cancellation date for most things, I would say go on your vacation but scale back your spending for it as much as possible. Take glo sticks from the dollar store or cheap items from the Disney Store or Walmart so the kids aren't bugging your for those expensive do-dads in the parks. Take snacks with you and get a water filtration bottle or have water shipped to your resort so as not to spend excessively on those items.

Have your DH (the D can stand for whatever you want it to right now ;) ) get his resume out ASAP. If he really feels that he is going to lose his current job, have him use this time off as productively as possible! Search monster, hotjobs, local papers, etc. and get him moving on something that he could take as soon as you return.

You can always sell on ebay or craigslist to make additional money.

If your DH does lose his job, contact your mortgage holder, credit cards, utilities as soon as possible. Most (if not all of them) will work with you so you don't dig yourself a hole.

Most importantly, just take a deep breath and try to relax. Everything will work out with good planning and a level head on your shoulders!

Best of luck to you and your DH in working this situation out :wizard:

StephMK
08-10-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm so sorry!! What a terrible position to be in right before your trip. Wait & see what happens w/his job, maybe since he has so many years, they will not fire him?? Is there anything he can do/say to help his case w/the co? It sounds like you are being proactive which is good. You may be able to get COBRA coverage but I know it's expensive. Is there an unemployment website in your area? It might have some information about what to expect & what options are available.

I really hope things work out for you & sorry not to have better advice.

mousiemom
08-10-2006, 10:54 AM
I am so sorry to hear what you are going thru. My dh lost his job about 3 yrs. ago and we have a dd and we freaked out. We didn't have any savings so thank god you have that. I work but I don't make enough for both of us to live off of. What I would do, go ahead and take your trip. You might have to dip into your savings but make your trip as cheap as possible. You might not can do everything you wanted to do but your in disney world!!! You don't want to get a job now and then asked to be off for your trip. I pay out the ying yang for family health insurance and the person that has no insurance, they help out. I had a cousin that was unemployed and had to have bypass surgery and the hospital paid for everything. Good Luck with everything!! When you get back, maybe you can get a pt job somewhere.

luvdzne
08-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Sorry Lisa! :grouphug:

I hope you still enjoy your trip!

I hope your husband didn't do anything too awful to lose his job.

I also have been a SAHM for like it seems forever now (12 years). I am also looking for a job to stay afloat.

mum of two pirates
08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
contact your c.c. and ask them about the insurence that pays if you lose your job, don't tell them what is going on, just what kind of protection ins. they offer like theft, ect, then add it on. today.

floridafam
08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I would not go on the trip. You have to worry about the essentials first and not a trip to WDW.

You can always go later when things improve.

I would be as honest with your children as you can and only tell them what you think they can handle.

I'm just stating what I woul do but I would sit them down, tell them a little about what is going on, cancel the trip while you can still get your money back, call all my cc companies, go through your budget and eliminate everything that is extra and go from there. Trust me, you'll feel better if you go into this prepared.

Good luck to you. :sunny:

lisaross
08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
no, we won't be spending much in Disney since we have the free dining - so just some spending for the kids which they already saved a bit for. And i have all the other "dollar tree" stuff!!!

I'm just so so bummed - i wanted this to be a "magical" trip for all - atleast it will be for the kids...................

Lisa

Yes, my husband is sending out tons of resumes - even down in Florida area - thinking of possible relocating!

Any good reasons for saying why you left a good company?

lisa

lisaross
08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
I would not get much back -- i bought the park tickets separately and the airlines has been paid way back - so if i don't go, i'll just get part of the hotel back!

I have already cut cable down, NOT spending any extra.............

I don't want to tell my kids till they can tell something is up, i mean what can they do for us?? it will just upset them

mommiepoppins
08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
I don't know what to do with myself. Let me start off by saying that i've been planning this family trip 1st to Disney for almost a year! Now its almost here and i don't even want to go - but will - its paid for and my kids can't wait! That being said, i am a SAHM - my husband has been at his job for 15 years and messed up and might be getting fired next week - he's now out on suspension - no pay!

Yesterday i went to sign up for a temp agency - and i will do what needs to be done, but i'm so so afraid! What do we do???? I have a mortgage to pay, about $5000 in savings which can go real fast............

HOw will we survive - two kids 4 & 6- don't want them to know anything about whats going on - don't want them afraid upset, etc.

What about health coverage?? i worry about everything (have not eaten in days) i live in NY so i think you can get free health coverage for kids - but what about me and husband? Also, if he gets unemployment, then he can't get a part time job? i know i can but we no back up of family so one of us must be home for the kids afterschool/holidays etc..........

Just venting

lisa
well same thing might happen dh he might be laid off when we return :furious: ok here are a few medical options healthy ny
or family health plus not medacaid it will depend on your income

I am checking in to healthy ny. I think you have to call the chamber of congress for that. Any other info just pm me

SlightlyGoofy
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Dear Lisa

I read your post and just had to drop by and add my hugs :grouphug: . I am older than you are and have had many such moments in my life. :hourglass They always work out, one way or another and most of the time lead to something better. I know it sounds trite but it is true. :wave2:

It is awfully hard when you are in the middle of the moment though as you just cannot see any way out until you ARE out.

You have been given much good advice here so I will not repeat it. Just be honest with your creditors and it will stand you in good stead.

I will be hoping to see a post, soon, that says that either things worked out with my dh's company (has he went in and talked to them, might help if he can convince them he has learned from his mistake and having worked there so long) or has found other employment quickly.

Go on your trip, enjoy the moment, do not overspend and dig the hole deeper and let the big worries be conquered on your return home. Worrying when there is nothing you can do about it will not help.

Sending you best wishes, Slightly Goofy :)

left210
08-10-2006, 11:46 AM
I agree - go on your trip and enjoy it. Leave your worries at home and have fun with your kids. As you probably know, kids can sense when the parents are not feeling well, upset, etc. so put all of your might into having the time of your life with your kids for that week. And I have always said when one door closes another one opens and usually it is better in the long run. You may not see it right now but when you look back in a year or so you will be able to see what you were supposed to learn to grow from the situation. Prayer works miracles - get busy praying!

calypso*a*go-go
08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Don't panic quite yet. :goodvibes What has DH's history been like with his current employer? Has he been given performance reviews that indicate he is doing his job well and is a valued employee? Or, have there been other occasions where he has received a verbal or written warning for other infractions? If he's been there awhile, I don't see how they can just fire him for one negative thing. Many companies have to go through several steps before they can actually terminate someone. Talk to him about it and see if he feels there were any indications prior to this incident he feels will make things easier for them to terminate. As for what to tell possible employers, if what occured isn't too horrible...DH might just want to explain to them what happened and what steps he has done to prevent it from happening again. One thing he has in his favor is that most companies can legally only give to/from employment dates and cannot reveal the reason for separation.

faindrops27
08-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I would not go on the trip. You have to worry about the essentials first and not a trip to WDW.

You can always go later when things improve.

I would be as honest with your children as you can and only tell them what you think they can handle.

I'm just stating what I woul do but I would sit them down, tell them a little about what is going on, cancel the trip while you can still get your money back, call all my cc companies, go through your budget and eliminate everything that is extra and go from there. Trust me, you'll feel better if you go into this prepared.

Good luck to you. :sunny:

Not go on a trip that is already paid for? :confused3
Ok, and children, that young. Do not need to know anything about the finance trouble, you have OP.

Dianewes
08-10-2006, 11:56 AM
I agree... go on the trip and enjoy yourself. It is paid for already...think of it as a break from the stress at home. Last year, I had a trip planned criuse and Disney and DH was layed off. UGH so I definately feel your pain. Disney has a wonderful way of letting you focus on the most important things in life ... your family!!! You will get though this, believe in that!! Good Luck

sunny_
08-10-2006, 12:57 PM
I would go on the trip since you already paid for it. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope that it all works out and things end up even better than before (like a well-paying new job). I've found that things tend to work themselves out with patience and incentive and it sounds like you have both. GL on dh sending out the resumes! I hope he lands a great new job if he even gets laid off!

DisneyGirl4188
08-10-2006, 01:07 PM
:grouphug:

I agree that if you won't get much money back, then go on your trip. Don't buy a lot of extras.

pixiedust: that you DH keeps his job and everything works out.

tarheelmjfan
08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
I pay out the ying yang for family health insurance and the person that has no insurance, they help out. I had a cousin that was unemployed and had to have bypass surgery and the hospital paid for everything.

I just wanted to point out that this isn't necessarily true. My DH is self employed. I had to have back surgery a few years ago, & we didn't have insurance. We had to pay over $13,000 cash out of our pockets. The hospital required $6,000 down just to admit me. I only spent one night in the hospital to keep costs down. I was told by my Dr. & nurse that noone had ever had the surgery I did & stayed less than 3 night. Sometimes, you just have to do what you can. Trust me, we didn't get any help.

OP, I hope everything works out for your family. My DH is one of those people who came out ahead by being fired once. At the time, both of us were working at the same place. I made more than he did. I am now a SAHM & he makes much more than both of us did together back then. Good luck!!! :wizard:

MrsPete
08-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Not go on a trip that is already paid for? :confused3If the OP could get a refund for everything, I'd say don't go -- postpone the trip until things are more stable. Even a trip that's "already paid for" is going to cost something: even without souveniers, there'll be incidentals, little transportation costs, etc.

However, since only a pittance of a refund is possible, I'd say go -- especially since her husband may or may not be fired. This could be "much ado about nothing". As such, I would pack plenty of granola bars, bottled waters, etc. so that spending at WDW can be cut as close to zero as possible.

NancyIL
08-10-2006, 01:32 PM
If the OP could get a refund for everything, I'd say don't go -- postpone the trip until things are more stable. Even a trip that's "already paid for" is going to cost something: even without souveniers, there'll be incidentals, little transportation costs, etc.

However, since only a pittance of a refund is possible, I'd say go -- especially since her husband may or may not be fired. This could be "much ado about nothing". As such, I would pack plenty of granola bars, bottled waters, etc. so that spending at WDW can be cut as close to zero as possible.

Well...buy that water AFTER you're off your plane, since you can't carry it on as of today!

Chickysmom
08-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I'd like to say that not having health insurance for you and your husband is not the end of the world. I have not had health coverage for years now. J(ust have not worked full-time to have it offered.) You have to be careful, but temporarily, you can get by.

As far as what to say for reason he left? Maybe "permanent lay-off"?

Best of luck and maybe his company will allow him to stay with some kind of warning and this mess will clear itself up....have fun at Disney with your family. Leave your worries behind during your trip...deal with it when you return.

Muushka
08-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Just stopped in to share a :grouphug: and my experience.

I had a 50th birthday back in 2004. I wanted to celebrate big, so I talked my husband into a cruise, DCL, 7 day eastern. I also planned on throwing myself a birthday party at WDW with some dear friends who live in the WPB area. We booked a 2 BR and a studio for a few days (on DVC points) and we had planned on 7 people joining us. All was set!

We were cruising in March and at the end of Jan my poor husband lost his job (company cut out his product that he worked on). I looked into cancelling the cruise, but it was not finanacially worth it do do so. So we kept all the plans as we had planned it. Which goes against everthing I believe in!

We were very frugal while on the cruise. No excursions or extra beverages. We are glad that we went, and hope that you can enjoy yourself also.

My husband picked up an insurance policy that cost about $40 a month. It beat going on my ins plan (which would have been more than $400 a month).
He is healthy and it would be considered a policy that is for major things only. Huge deductable (5K), no drugs, and no nice $15 copay at the doc's office. But we saved $360 a month, which goes a long way towards meds and doc visits.

Best wishes to you and your family. All will be well again. It is for us, it took a while for him to find a job, but all is well. :goodvibes

Tinkim
08-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Lisa ~ I just want to say I know what you're going through. We went on a trip in Feb and my DH lost his job right before we left plus we were going through a trial at the time for my son's accident and it was such a bad time I couldn't even imagine going to WDW. I almost came here and posted about it but I was afraid people would think I was a moron for even thinking about going to WDW when my DH lost his job. The trip was already paid for . . . park tickets, airline tickets, vacation house rental. We would have lost money if we didn't go because we had nonrefundable airline tickets and couldn't get money back on the WDW tickets and would have lost some of our deposit on the vacation rental house so we decided to go. I felt sick the whole time about going away on vacation when DH was out of work and we had enough in savings to get by for only a few months but we decided we would go anyway and just watch what we spent. As it turned out that week was the least stressful week we had had in a LONG time and I was really glad we went. :grouphug: I hope you are able to take the trip and regroup and that DH will be able to find a great job after the trip. I know how hard it is and I hope it all works out for you.

ceecee
08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully since he has been with the company for 15 years they won't fire him for one mistake.
You can get Cobra insurance, but it is expensive! If you can't get your money back then go, but don't they have a 2 week cancellation policy where you get all but a small amount back?
Maybe he could sign up with an employment agency?

pweyl36
08-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I also think you should go.if every thing is paid for and you have spending
money then go.maybe give them $50 each and this way they can buy anything that they want,and after the money is gone thats it. Go have a good time. :wave:

lisaross
08-10-2006, 03:50 PM
But Like I Said The Park Tickets I Paid For Not In The Pkg And The Airline Tickets Have To Be Used Within The Year I Believe - And I Can't See Going Once We Get Jobs - I'm Sure It Won't Be Easy To Take Off --

Also I Am Such Such A Worrier But I Feel Like I Must Go For My Kids Sake - We've Planned For So Long - For The Amount I'd Be Getting Back, I Think I Just Need To See Them So So Happy That It Pushes Me To Go On With Whatever I'm Faced In The Future.

Like I Said Dining Is Included So There Won't Be Much We'll Have To Pay For Down In Disney - Hopefully

Lisa

Thank You To Everyone Whom Has Shared Your Stories.

DisneyMommyMichelle
08-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Okay every little bit is a good bit right now and if i were in your shoes, i would not go on th trip either. Get back what you can from the resort. Yes you say you will not spend a lot..but you really can't be too sure. It's WDW :). You can always go another time, when you are more stable.

This is what i would honestly do.

brando5111
08-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Just go and enjoy yourself. Your kids are only young once and these memories will be much more important in the long run than bills. Things will work out eventually - so go with a positive attitude and enjoy each day.

The same thing (sort of) happened to us on our 01' trip. We departed on 9/11 (Uh-yeah) - and I had made my husband quit his job before we left! (They sucked!) - anyway - once we returned he was able to find a new and MUCH BETTER job within 1 week. So I do think some things happen for a reason.....

Best of luck to you & your family,
Brando

PaulaSue
08-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure if this is possible but can you downgrade your hotel ressie to a cheaper place?

I would go but take it easy on the extras. Life is to short, enjoy your trip as much as possible.

IrishWake
08-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Lisa, don't go to WDW! You guys are in position to pull this trip off.

CarolA
08-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Lisa, don't go to WDW! You guys are in position to pull this trip off.

Is that a yes or a no??

Anyway, I wish Lisa the best. As soon as I saw this I KNEW you were going to get the standard "Dis" board response of "cancel" Normally I agree that for some posters taking the trip is just foolish, but I think in this case I would probably vote go. IT's just too late to cancel.

That said, I am willing to BET your kids already sense something's wrong. So I would tell them something. (The unknown is much more stressful with kids) and just make sure they understand that they can't have everything they see at Disney (it's a giant shopping mall aimed at kids LOL!)

ANNFMUR
08-10-2006, 10:50 PM
My heart goes out to you. My husband got laid off the day we came home from disney!!! Within 3 weeks he had an even better job. It all worked out. Stay positive. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

DonaldsGrl103
08-10-2006, 11:58 PM
You should defiantly check out Healthyny.com which provides free or very low cost health insurance for both children and adults. Its usually provided through health plus.

I wish you the best :goodvibes

dawnball
08-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Also, if he gets unemployment, then he can't get a part time job?

I wanted to address this. If he qualifies for unemployment - yes he can get a part-time job. From the NY dept of Labor:
Q: What if I work part-time?

A: If you work less than four days and earn $405 or less in a week, you may receive partial benefits. Each day or partial day of work will reduce your benefit rate by one-quarter. If you are unable to work, your benefits are determined on the same basis. Receiving partial benefits extends the length of time you may collect benefits until you reach the maximum or your benefit year ends, whichever comes first. If you earn over $405 in any week, regardless of the number of days worked, no benefits can be paid for that week.

I don't know if your husband will qualify for unemployment though, since it sounds like he might lose his job with cause.

That said - you have my sympathy. I'm sure your husband made a mistake, and wasn't careless or negligent and I hope that he keeps his job. You've gotten (and will get) lots of good advice on streching your savings and finding alternate income. Good luck!

Debbie
08-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Normally I agree that for some posters taking the trip is just foolish, but I think in this case I would probably vote go.

This is how I feel as well. We're leaving next week, and I am so excited because the trip IS all paid for. Your kidlets are little, so, as long as they aren't expecting a lot of souvenirs, I think that you won't be spending much more than is already invested.

My advice, then. Go. Totally immerse yourself in the magic that is FAMILY (oh, and WDW, too). Make it a vacation without worrying, because, at this moment, there isn't anything to be done. When you get back, then you will deal with what comes after the suspension.

sdenis
08-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Remember in the Empire Strikes Back when Yoda lifted the starship out of the mucky water?

Luke goes up to it with a surprised look on his face and says, "I don't believe it."

Yoda replies, "That is why you fail."

Our thoughts create our reality. Be mindful of them and believe your DH will keep his job or get a better one as a result of it.

And I have to echo the thoughts of previous replies and emphasize...

Don't worry, be happy!

Everyone in the family will pick up on the tension and a trip loaded with bad feelings is worse than no trip at all.

Stay positive, Sister! :cloud9:

mikki'smom
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I would definitely go on my trip. Actually, it couldn't have happened at a better time. Take your mind off your troubles and embrace your family. Things will be okay. This could be a blessing in disguise. If you are a SAHM and your husband may be looking for employment, why don't you check out what's available at WDW. DH and I are both retired and our DC are always telling us to move to Orlando and hook up with Disney. I really believe that the timing of this trip was no accident. Go. Have fun. Believe in the magic. :sunny:

Minnie's Mate
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
We live close enought to WDW (we live in Atlanta) that we can go 3-5 times a year by driving. While that might seem to take away the specialness of a trip to WDW for a lot of people, it doesn't for us: every trip is as if it is the first trip in years! Anyway, three days before our trip last June, my entire division was eliminated and I, and the eight men who worked for me, lost our jobs.

My wife and I didn't hesitate to tell our then 5 & 8 year old what had happened and that we would have to curb our spending, but we went for our nine day trip to the Animal Kingdom anyway. We had a wonderful trip and it released the tension and stress the two of us were under. I think it releaved the stress the boys were under, too. We even renewed our Anual passes while on that trip.

Fortunately our insurance is through my wife and she has a good job. It took me 9-1/2 months to find another job, but I found a job I truely enjoy; one that I thank God for every day; one that pays a good bit more than the one I lost; one that has WAY less stress than the old one. It will take a while for our finances to recover because my unemployment covered my $764/auto payment and that was about all, but we don't have a lot of monthly expenses and we watched our expenses and what we took out of savings each month while I was unemployed.

My biggest piece of advise is to take your situation, however it plays out, to God. He is in charge and he will listen to your prayers and answer them in accordance to His will and His timing. His plans are for you to prosper and not to harm you. I had also begun to pray the Prayer of Jabez at this time.

My second piece of advise is to have your husband post his resume on Monster.com. I finally did (I didn't think it would help since I am in a very specialized profession) and within days a company from California called with an offer for a position on a project they had directly across the street from my old job. I know this job came from God because I would have never applied for a job with this company located in California...I didn't know they had offices in Georgia. The call came from them to me and the job couldn't have been more tailored to my experiences than if I had written the job description myself!

Go on the trip and use it as therapy for the stress you are going through right now. Make the best of it you can and conserve where you can, but don't put a damper on everything worrying about money. When you get back focus on your husbands career and look for what God's will is for your family.

Everything will work out in time and when it does, you will know that everything worked out for the best. My prayers are with you and your husband. :grouphug:

DisneyBrat
08-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Lisa,

Last year my husband was moved to PA for an awesome job. :goodvibes This company paid total relocation, sign on bonus and many benefits. :thumbsup2 Who would have thought 8 months later it would be sold and downsized. :furious: We thought our world was crumbling. After lots of prayer and faith! :cloud9: We started to diligently job surf. :surfweb: Monster.Com was the BEST with getting interviews. My advice is to get a GOOD resume and start bulk sending them on Monster. Search out recruiters and send resume there too. Most of my husbands interviews and new job came through monster. Just know that there is a reason for all you go through in life. Even things at the worst always have a silver lining if you find it!!!! Just look at it as a new chapter in your life.... Go to Disney HAVE FUN and start an allllllllll out job search when you get home. I actually treated my husbands job search like a job. I worked 8 hrs a day sending out resumes and searching every job board I could find. :surfweb: Remember that there are alot of people sending resume's . It is somewhat luck of the draw if they actually see your resume. Call HR to see if they infact received it. Make lots of notes whom you sent because they double post jobs and you dont want to look as if you didn't remember their company. Good luck
and God Bless... I heard a song that sums it up best... God likes to work when nothing else does.

lisaross
08-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me - it helps alot!

We will be going to Disney as planned and my husband has already got his resume out - doing lots of research on-line etc.

I know we'll make it - even if i have to be the one to go back to work full-time - its not what i want but definitly would do for my family.

I guess i'm also just angry - because he made a stupid judgement call and got introuble for it.

But godwilling, he will not get fired and boy will we have learnt from this experience - i really feel like my life is changed forever!

The best to all of you.................

Lisa

Chickysmom
08-11-2006, 12:46 PM
And as a little side note for your trip to help with the expense.....stay out of the stores! If you don't go in, you can't bring it out!! What the kids don't see, they won't want!!

Go and have fun.....you will feel refreshed and ready for everything when you return.

Microcell
08-11-2006, 01:02 PM
We call my DH "The Phoenix Rising out of the Ashes".

He was working for a company where they were writing him up with the statement "Has to be nice" to employees. It stated that he had caused a person to "cry because she wanted to go home sick and he said she would have to wait two hours" (for coverage to come in). She had told him she had cramps from her monthly cycle. The measurement of success on this write up would be his suboordinates report. He was the boss and his employees (who preferred to sit around talking instead of working) would be his judge, jury and excecutioner.

They said it was likely he would be demoted. Pay cut. We freaked! Getting a job at another retailer after being demoted did not look good at all. Thankfully a former coworker recruited him to another company with what amounted to a $8000 dollar raise!

He has had horrible luck and some dumb mistakes under his belt, but he comes back like the phoenix!

Microcell
08-11-2006, 01:03 PM
And as a little side note for your trip to help with the expense.....stay out of the stores! If you don't go in, you can't bring it out!! What the kids don't see, they won't want!!

Go and have fun.....you will feel refreshed and ready for everything when you return.

That is my motto and DH and I are both gainfully employed!

Minnie's Mate
08-11-2006, 01:09 PM
I spent an hour and a half with an outplacement councilor at my own expense having him review, critique and help me update my resume. It seemed like a lot of money, but I found out that the HR world was really looking at resumes differently than they had 8-1/2 years earlier when I last had looked for a job and even the format that I initially was going to use was obsolete and probably wouoldn't get any attention. After revising the format and making the changes he recommended I felt so much more confident in sending my resume out and I feel that ultimately it got way more attention. That was the best $225 I spent during my job search.

grlpwrd
08-11-2006, 01:10 PM

Just venting

lisa

Well, if he is fired the variables do change regarding collecting unemployment benefits.

My dh has never been fired, but he has been laid off many times, in fact. It is standard in his industry, though. He is a design engineer that works by contract. Even though he signs a contract agreeing to work for so long, the company can still renig. It sucks.

I am glad you all are going. We had to cancel our trip in 2003 because my dh got laid off again. We needed to use that money for other things and it was not prepaid.

Yes, please be careful how you spend, but enjoy yourselves. Then you can regroup and when you return can take action. Best wishes to you all! :wizard:

calypso*a*go-go
08-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Lisa,
When do you find out? Is there already some type of meeting scheduled, or will they just notify DH when they've made a decision? I have to say the waiting must be torture. Thank goodness you had that trip planned...at least it gives you something else to thing about!

lisaross
08-11-2006, 06:12 PM
the torture is so horrible - so many emotions in 1 day go through my body!!!

Its crazy all i've done for the past 8 months was research Disney - now i'm not even thinking about it!

lisa

i'll be sure to keep you all informed.

Please say a little prayer for us!

THANK YOU

Merriwind
08-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Best of luck to you and your family! Everything happens for a reason. Hang in there; all will work out! No advice, just pixie dust.

CarolJ
08-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you for your kind words on my post. As you may remember I was fired without cause 5 days before my Disney trip. I wanted to cancel the trip, but I didn't have trip insurance and would lose everything, also. I agree with the others to go and enjoy the smiles on your children's faces. Instead of staying home and worrying it'll be a vacation from your worries. It will also help your children. I know my teens are very stressed, but are so looking forward to getting away from a tense household.

Please keep us informed- I can't believe they would let a 15 year employee go for one lapse in judgment. Hopefully they just want him to stress for awhile so he doesn't repeat the error. You and your family will be in my prayers.

crisi
08-11-2006, 10:39 PM
When my kids were toddlers my DH had a "boss from hell." He got put on a performance plan and was told "30 days." I freaked. I have a job, our insurance is through my work, but still - we would be struggling to make it on just my income.

I went to my doctor and was put on sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication...if you are not sleeping, not eating, etc., consider speaking to your doctor. They take a while to kick in, but it could be really helpful. Also have your DH do the same, its very common to fall into depression - and that doesn't make a job search easier or you more appealing as a prospective employee.

Happy ending to our story, my husband was reorg'd on day 27 - into an organization his boss said lodged complaints against him and it turned out had lobbied for him to get re-org'd into it....within six weeks the psycho-boss decided (in a down economy) to "pursue other opportunities." The re-org came with layoffs, but he wasn't one of them.

The other outcome, we started saving more - a LOT more. We got cars and bills paid off, plumped up 401ks so if they need to have contributions stopped in an emergency they can, paid off the mortgage over five years or so. I'd been fairly conservative finacially before, and I'm still not as frugal as others, but this made me very conservative in my committments....not necessarily in my spending, but in my committments.

Oh, by the way, even as conservative as we were, my husband joined me on a business trip to San Francisco during that time. My airfare, hotel and rental car was paid for, so we only paid for meals and his airfare. My company had a policy that if you did a Saturday night stay, if that was cheaper for the company, they'd pick up hotel and food for that period. That weekend was a turning point for my mental health. We'd had two kids in six months, both switched jobs withing the past two years, and now had a one and a two year old at home and a lot of stress.....the mini vacation was worth it.

CherCrazy
08-11-2006, 11:02 PM
My DH got laid off in April, weeks before our trip home to WDW. I think we were more devastated about cancelling our trip, than losing the job that he wasn't happy about anyway.

We cancelled the trip. I was so worried that we would miss a call from a prospective employer, that I couldn't bear to go. I would have been too worried the whole time. We did get 2 calls from possible jobs during that week, but they ended up not being anything. He is still unemployed.

JKJK
08-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Its a bit different than the ones I read but I did want to share it.

I am a SAHM and I homeschool my 15dd. My 17dd goes to college fulltime. I plan on staying home for another year, until my15dd starts college. Then I plan on working fulltime. My husband has been self-employed for the past 3 years. We had insurance through the state for our dd's but not for ourselves, they dont offer anything and we couldnt afford a policy.

I had been ill for the past few years, having severe attacks in the night. It started up again a year ago and it seemed to happen monthly....it was awful. This past June, I had 3 eppisodes in 1 week, which had never happened before. I knew something was horribly wrong. I self-diagnosed myself online and spent 618.00 on an ultrasound to confirm my suspisions.

I needed gallbladder surgery to the tune of 20K. We met with the hospital and the surgeon to see if they would give us a break as we had NO health insurance. No one would help in any way. We checked into other hospitals, clinics, even looked out of state trying to find a better price. We never did. My husband was in no position to take a raise. We had hoped to buy a policy and wait the 9 month waiting period and then have the surgery but we couldnt afford it. We could have taken a bank loan, put it on a credit card, or taken a home equity loan. But we had no way to make the payments.

We made the VERY painful decision to shut down his business and apply for welfare. Of course we got medical right away. I scheduled my surgery for mid July and in the meantime, my husband applied for work. We live in a remote area, there are not alot of good paying jobs around here. We have a very strong faith and leaned on that to get us through. Our girls are awesome, they both work and pay their own expenses so it wasnt a issue for them. They always knew what was going on....they are alot older than your kids OP.

Its been 4 weeks since my surgery and my husband starts his new job on Monday!!! :cheer2: He had 3 other companies interested in hiring him. No more welfare, and we will have medical for the whole family!!!

I want you to know that things will work out for your family. I hope you have a wonderful trip and your husband finds work quickly. I wish you all the best.

Kay1
08-12-2006, 06:03 AM
That's an amazing story, Kerry, and it illustrates how out of control health care costs are in this country. I thought of one other option you could have explored: medical tourism. I've read articles about people who've flown to foreign countries for medical and dental care and they've received excellent, top-notch care at a small fraction of what American doctors and hospitals charge.

3DisneyBuggs
08-12-2006, 07:13 AM
I hope your DH gets good news from his work.

SlightlyGoofy
08-12-2006, 07:44 AM
There is so much inspiration here. I have went through many difficult times in my life as well and have come out all the better for those experiences.

I have learned that you just cannot worry about things that you cannot control. All you can do is to try to prepare for bad times, they always come, and live each day. :grouphug:

My heart goes out to those with medical problems especially. It is is hard enough being sick, or having a loved one who is sick, without having to worry about how to pay those horrendous bills.

BTW, I had gall bladder surgery last year and it cost a whole lot less than $20,000 but that is because we had insurance. The odd thing is that it costs MORE when you do not have insurance. We need some changes to our medical system. No one should be bankrupt because they are sick. My sil is having a benefit given for her because she needs a liver transplant.

Slightly Goofy/Linda

Glenn
08-12-2006, 12:06 PM
How are you planning on getting from the airport to disney? If your staying on site think about about taking the Disney free shuttle instead of getting a car. Yes with 2 little ones it will be a little hassle but you dont have to handle your bags and save on renting a car. Good luck.

JKJK
08-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Kay1,

Ive never heard of the term Medical Tourism.....very interesting concept. We live close to Canada and that is where I visit the dentist if I need to. The costs are lower and then there is the exchange, although its not as good as it once was. As I said, we looked into going out of state but not out of the country. We had enough miles for 1 free ticket and thats why we considered that as an option.

Slightly Goofy,

You are correct.....it is LESS if you HAVE insurance.....doesnt seem right to me but that is what we uncovered during our searching. The other thing that bothered me was if we had NO income, there was all kinds of help. But because we didnt make a whole lot of money and couldnt afford insurance or any of the other options I previously mentioned, no one would help us. What was so difficult for me was knowing I needed this done and not knowing how we were going to do it. I was concerned about the stress getting to me but as I said before, we really leaned on our faith and thats what carried us through.

tarheelmjfan
08-12-2006, 01:21 PM
I needed gallbladder surgery to the tune of 20K. We met with the hospital and the surgeon to see if they would give us a break as we had NO health insurance. No one would help in any way. We checked into other hospitals, clinics, even looked out of state trying to find a better price. We never did. My husband was in no position to take a raise. We had hoped to buy a policy and wait the 9 month waiting period and then have the surgery but we couldnt afford it. We could have taken a bank loan, put it on a credit card, or taken a home equity loan. But we had no way to make the payments.

Wow, it's a shame they wouldn't cut you a break. As I mentioned, I had back surgery for 5 herniated discs. I would think that would be more expensive than gallbladder surgery. :confused3 We got a much better rate from everyone involved, except for the lab work, which included Xrays, & MRIs, among other things. The $13,000 we paid was only to the hospital & everything else was extra. Still that sounds like a better price than you were quoted. I'm very surprised that some people are quoted more, because they don't have insurance. We've found it to be the exact opposite.

Anyway, the Lord was really there for us, during this time. My back was in really bad shape, so we searched the internet, asked friends, strangers, & anything else we could think of to find the best surgeon. It turns out the #1 rated back surgeon at that time operated at a hospital 15 minutes from my house. My DH said we were going to him no matter what it cost. It still makes me tear up to think about it, but you would not believe how much this highly rated surgeon charged to do my surgery. He only charged us $500 for the surgery & all office visits. He was a christian man, & felt for our situation. How amazing is that? :) The surgery completely depleted our savings, but we felt blessed that the money was there. Members of our church were also wonderful to help out.

My sister in NC called every hospital she could think of trying to get us a better rate. We could have actually had the surgery done cheaper there, but I was bedridden 2 1/2 months prior to my surgery & couldn't travel that far. Unfortunately, Medical Tourism wouldn't have worked for me.

When we were in this situation, we had mixed emotions about it. We felt very fortunate that most everyone involved was willing to charge us much less, because we didn't have insurance. On the other hand, it was almost infuriating knowing how much everything is marked when insurance is paying. If they didn't gouge the insurance companies, maybe those who are self employed could more easily afford insurance. It would also help if people wouldn't take their kids to the doctor everytime they got a runny nose or scratchy throat too, but that's a different story for another time.

I'll step down off my soap box now. I'm afraid, healthcare in this country hits a sore spot for me. :sad2:

JKJK
08-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Tarheel,

Wow, what an awesome deal from your surgeon. Makes ME want to tear up with you! What a blessing!

dzneprincess
08-12-2006, 10:09 PM
subscribing

musicdude
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Bump.....
So, what's the update?????
:confused3

lisaross
08-15-2006, 05:32 AM
So now here are some new questions maybe you can help me out!!

What do i do about taking money from savings vs. credit cards etc.

I have about 25,000 in Mutual accounts and about 5000 in savings. I know this can dwindle fast.

My husband has gone on an interview and is waiting for a call back. I don't imagine he'll be making as much as he did, BUT we do need something for now.

I'm also thinking about refinancing - though i'd hate to i now have about 11 1/2 years left on a 15 year mortgage - thinking of refinancing back to a 30 year mortgage - i know the rates are higher, but it'll reduce our montly bill by about 300.

Also, i'm going to call up my car insurance and drop the insurance down lower - i have alot of insurance out i think 100/300? also, my homeowers policy maybe try and lower that.

What do you all think? I don't want to get into debt - i do have an outstanding credit card balance of about 3000.00 - should i pay it off or call to delay payments. Also pay 140.00 month on a car loan should i just take the money from the mutal accounts and pay that off as well?

I don't want to leave ourselves with no savings either..........

any options

lisa

andychris14
08-15-2006, 05:32 AM
good luck. I hope everything is working out.
"When one door closes another one opens".
When are you supposed to be leaving? When will they let your husband know?

CarolA
08-15-2006, 06:06 AM

I have about 25,000 in Mutual accounts and about 5000 in savings. I know this can dwindle fast.

My husband has gone on an interview and is waiting for a call back. I don't imagine he'll be making as much as he did, BUT we do need something for now.

I'm also thinking about refinancing - though i'd hate to i now have about 11 1/2 years left on a 15 year mortgage - thinking of refinancing back to a 30 year mortgage - i know the rates are higher, but it'll reduce our montly bill by about 300.

Also, i'm going to call up my car insurance and drop the insurance down lower - i have alot of insurance out i think 100/300? also, my homeowers policy maybe try and lower that.

What do you all think? I don't want to get into debt - i do have an outstanding credit card balance of about 3000.00 - should i pay it off or call to delay payments. Also pay 140.00 month on a car loan should i just take the money from the mutal accounts and pay that off as well?

any options

lisa

It's probably too late to refi.. They are going to want to check with your DH's employer to verify income and.....

So I gather you know he has lost his last job.

In that case I think the first thing to do is to look at cutting expenese. Raising deductibles is a good first step $100 is pretty low!

I probably would not take your money out to pay off debt yet. I would wait to see what happens. To be honest if he is out of work for a long time you are going to need the cash more then the debt pay off.

Are the mutual funds part of a 401K? If so there are some huge tax considerations and you should wait until you have no other choice to tap them.

lisaross
08-15-2006, 06:10 AM
i meant my car ins. is 100,000/300,000

Also, what if he lands a new job with less pay -- would you refinance or just wait and see what heppens.

No, we'll probably find out definitly today, but the union said it does not look good, the head of the union is calling today to fight for him again.

lisa

Leigha
08-15-2006, 06:20 AM
I wouldn't change my liability limits. If you are considering changing your deductibles, ask what the difference would be first. It is a very little change usually on the comprehensive but a little better on the collision. The difference in taking money from a 401K and a regular mutual fund is about 25% is kept with the 401K so check that for sure! Good Luck!

kim35
08-15-2006, 06:44 AM
I need to tell you that I know EXACTLY what you are going through...
My DH lost his job a month ago. All the same thoughts ran through my head.

Luckily dh has found a temporary job that goes day to day so we never know when he'll work, but better some than none.

We too decided to keep our trip coming up. We would have lost airfare and the trip was already paid for so we agreed that the kids shouldn't have to worry about OUR issues. They were looking so forward to going. We estimate that we really shouldn't have much of an expense due to free dining, and we were just there last year so the kids don't need tons of souvenirs. We'll get a little and just enjoy the time as a family in Disneyworld. It is a MAGICAL place afterall!

I'm praying that everything will work out and that dh will get a permanent job when we get back home. We'll just worry about it then.

lisaross
08-15-2006, 06:53 AM
Can i ask how old your children are? and do they know anything about whats going on? i didn't want to tell our children, but my 6 year old can sense "things are not normal".

What do you do for health insurance? Do you have alot in savings? I'm sorry if i'm too personal just trying to see what others are doing? Do you work at all?

When will you be in Disney?

lisa

kim35
08-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Lisa

To answer your questions:

Can i ask how old your children are? and do they know anything about whats going on? i didn't want to tell our children, but my 6 year old can sense "things are not normal".

- my kids are 9 & 7 and Yes we did tell them that dad wasn't working and that we really need to be careful with extra spending. We also told them that when we go to Disney that we we could get 1 good item, but we weren't going to be buyinig all kinds of little things throughout the week. They were fine with it. I am a firm believer that the kids should know what's going on, but I also believe that a child should not have to worry about grown up things like how mom and dad are paying for bills. I heard it all the time growing up and I to this day worry how my parents cope with their day to day lives. Kids should be kids...

What do you do for health insurance? Do you have alot in savings? I'm sorry if i'm too personal just trying to see what others are doing? Do you work at all?

--Health insurance- my husband is in the Union and we hold insurance based on hours worked each quarter. As long as he gets some hours in each quarter (I don't know how much they require) we can continue our coverage. A lot in savings NO! we have a couple thousand, but not enough to last very long. It does help though that I work a full time job. I can't support us, but everybit helps.

When will you be in Disney? --We leave in 17 days and can't wait.

I really hope something works out for you and your family very soon!

ericamanda01
08-15-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm praying that everything works out for you and your family.

d-man's mom
08-15-2006, 11:43 AM

any options

lisa

I wouldn't refinance the house- reducing the monthly bill by 300 now to fix this is going to cost you a lot more over the next 15 years of your mortgage in fees, interest, and payments, than it would if you kept the current rate and found another way to come up with the $300 (like starting an ebay business, or you waitressing on weekends, etc). Your house will be paid off in a few years and that will free up money then- it's just between now and then that needs to be figured out.

Besides, they are going to want to verify his income for a refi, so I don't think most lenders would consider your application right now if he's not employed.

If you call to delay the payments on your cc's you are going to mess with your credit. What's the minimum payment monthly?? Pay that until you have a new budget.

Keep in mind that this is a short term problem that you haven't yet found a solution to. Don't make long term commmitments to your credit/mortgage, etc, by extending payments (or messing up your credit) now when this might all be resolved sooner than you think.

Muushka
08-15-2006, 05:03 PM
For those on this thread who have lost jobs and have flexible spending (for medical, not sure about child care), PM me. I am not comfortable posting this information.

jeankeri
08-15-2006, 06:32 PM
lisa, I am sending good thoughts your way, knowing that any decision is probably coming soon. I may (possibly) be in a similar situation soon and know the anxiety you are going through. My boys are 9 & 10, and we have been honest up to a point. We have told them that all our basic bills will be paid, we will always have food and our home, but for a while (and there is no end as of yet) we cannot buy anything we don't absolutely need. They were dissapointed, I won't lie, because their allowance was put on hold. However, they have been troopers in the store, helping me find the best buys, etc. They were so happy when the Lays were BOGO this week!!
What I have done is look at all my bills and figure out which ones can only be paid with cash, and which I can charge. Also, all items like food, clothing, heating oil, can be paid on credit if need be. I did not consider a HELOC to draw on for these things because I did not want to risk my home for consumer debt. I then totaled up the monthly bills I needed cash for, divided my savings by that number, and figured out how long we could make those payments. Any part time work I can pick up would stretch that time frame.
Best of luck to your family. :grouphug:

Our2Girls&Disney
08-15-2006, 07:08 PM
But Like I Said The Park Tickets I Paid For Not In The Pkg And The Airline Tickets Have To Be Used Within The Year I Believe - And I Can't See Going Once We Get Jobs - I'm Sure It Won't Be Easy To Take Off --

Also I Am Such Such A Worrier But I Feel Like I Must Go For My Kids Sake - We've Planned For So Long - For The Amount I'd Be Getting Back, I Think I Just Need To See Them So So Happy That It Pushes Me To Go On With Whatever I'm Faced In The Future.

Like I Said Dining Is Included So There Won't Be Much We'll Have To Pay For Down In Disney - Hopefully

Lisa

Thank You To Everyone Whom Has Shared Your Stories.

Lisa:

Just curious, How did you get the dining plan without a package. I thought that the dining plan was only available through a package. Maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, I just wanted say, that if I were in your shoes, I would go on the trip. I know that it is very hard to see right now, but everything happens for a reason and I am sure that everything is going to turn out ok. MAybe it will end up that he will get a better job, one with less stress, less work, more pay? Who knows? All I am saying is keep your head high.

dzneprincess
08-15-2006, 07:16 PM
I am sorry to hear things are not looking good. I was hoping that you were going to post that he got off with a warning. I am in a union as well, and there have been some instances where people were laid off, and once there were fired the employee and the union grieved it, it took time but a few people have been able to get their jobs back. Even people who were completly in the wrong. So maybe all hope is not yet gone?

left210
08-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I do not recommend reducing your liability limits on your insurance policy. I work in insurance and 100/300 may sound like a lot but if someone is injured that really is not much. Granted 100/300 is not the minimum in most states but if you go with the minimum of 25/50K then any accident of any severity will go over that. I would recommend you just increase your deductible on both homeowners and auto to $500-1000.

Also, I know what you mean about being angry that your husband is getting in trouble for making a bad judgment call. My husband is also in a union and it is amazing to me how they can get someones job back that really has a problem and should be fired but yet when someone is doing their job and makes an honest mistake they get fired. Just doesnt make sense to me. Definitely not the way the corporate world works.

calypso*a*go-go
08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
I still feel like he might have a chance if his job performance was considered good prior to this incident. Does your DH have any special awards or recognitions he has received that his supervisors should be reminded of? Also, before you consider reducing your auto insurance or breaking into savings funds...sit down with each other and take a good, hard look at your day-to-day spending and see where you can cut back. Do you have cable with premium channels when the basic package would be fine? Can you use the internet at the local libaray for free? Do you use a salon to color your hair instead of doing it yourself? Just little things like that could knock several hundred dollars off your monthly bills. Even doing several errands at once instead of separate trips would help on gas consumption. I really hope you don't have to go to any of these extremes, but start with the basics and then go from there.

lisaross
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
to get many more degrees including certificates and his BA.

Believe me, i have already cut down on our cable bill, have not spent ANY money except for food for the house, gas etc. We do need the internet because my husband keeps looking for jobs around the clock.

I also do some typing from home which brings in about 300 a month -- Yes, this will all help so i can take less out from savings..............

I am doing everything possible to not spend any money right now!

keep praying,

Lisa

dzneprincess
08-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Lisa,
Has he been officially terminated? Or are you all just preparing for the worst? Will he be able to grieve this through the union?

musicdude
08-17-2006, 04:40 PM
bump.............update

vhoffman
08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
So sorry to hear about your situation. But I really think you should take the trip. We were in a similar situation just this summer. We had a trip all paid for to Hawaii, except daily expenses, like food, etc. Then rumors started that there might be possible layoffs at dh job. We debated if we should take the trip or not. We decided to go. We rationalized that the trip was paid for, most non-refundable, so not going wouldn't put any money in our pocket. Of course, there was the daily expenses there, but living costs here, too. Don't forget, one spends money while at home, too. Groceries, utilities, and just the stuff you do for entertainment all adds up. We figured we really wouldn't accomplish much moneywise by staying home. When we went to Hawaii we were cautious with spending, helped that we had a condo and could cook instead of restaurants, etc.

Bottom line--now that we're facing the economic uncertainty of layoffs, we're glad we have some great memories to look back on. It makes the difficult times easier to bear if we can remember our great trip. Canceling the trip won't get your money back, and you're buying some happiness. Good luck, and I've found many excellent budget suggestions on this board. Go through them for ideas.

LIFE'S UNCERTAIN--EAT DESSERT FIRST!!! :grouphug:

lisaross
08-17-2006, 06:36 PM
I just keep saying WHY is this happening to us.

Anyway, yes the union will fight for him again next month then it will go to Arbitration.

My husband will be going down to unemployment next week - hope the job does not fight it. Also will be going down to apply for NY health care - we have benefits till the end of the month.

have been shutting off the a/c most of the day -- cut back on directv - i went into the city to do temp work today and will be again tomorrow. My husband will be getting $100.00 this weekend for helping out a friend. Yes, were doing what we can - and i know we can survive this BUT i hate to sound like a spoiled brat but i loved being a SAHM and if i have to yes i'll be back at work - even if that means my husband is home during the day and he works evenings. I know many do this but i feel like the rug just got pulled out from underneath me.

Anyway, thanx again for caring and praying for us.

Lisa

DiznEeyore
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Oh, Lisa, hang in there!! I know what you mean about not wanting to give up being a SAHM, but hopefully if you do end up having to do that, it will only be temporary!!

Please keep us posted ... a lot of us have BTDT and our thoughts are with you!

kfeuer
08-17-2006, 07:32 PM

I also work for an insurance agency and would only recommend reducing your liability coverage as a last resort. Having inadequate coverage puts your home and all your assets at risk. Raise your deductibles as high as you're comfortable with, though.

As for the credit cards, I wanted to pass along what Clark Howard (consumer advocate) says--in a crisis, credit cards are your last worry. It's unsecured debt, so while it can mess up your credit they can't take anything away from you (unlike the threat of losing your home or car). If I was in your shoes, I would charge everything I could and just make minimum payments for now. Save your cash for things you can't charge, like your mortgage. Hopefully this will be a short-lived bump in the road and then you can work on paying off that credit card. :grouphug:

Our2Girls&Disney
08-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Lisa:

Since you really do not want to give up being a SAHM, have you considered taking in other kids for extra income? If you could take in a couple kids that would be at least $300 per week or more extra income. I don't know what the going rate for day care is in your area. Since you live in NY, I would think that you could get more. You could easily put an ad in your local library or newspaper. Even watching kids before or after school. I would love to have someone who would be willing to watch my kids after school, instead I left with sending them to the Boys & Girls club. It might not be something that you want to do, but I thought I would throw that one out there.

calypso*a*go-go
08-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Lisa,
So sorry! I was really hoping we'd see a happier update. Just hang in there and do whatever it takes to keep things going as smoothly as possible. Try to keep DH from getting too depressed about this as that demeanor will carry over to the interview process and any prospective employers will be looking for someone that is confident and sure of himself. Be sure and show the person you are working with at the unemployment office any special awards/recognition/performance reviews, etc. DH received prior to this incident indicating he had consistently been considered a "good" employee. It might help if the company does try to fight the claim for benefits. Also, be prepared that this probably will happen as most companies always try to keep their rates down by contesting claims for people that have been taken off the payroll (it's nothing personal...it just business :( ). Please keep us updated on this...we're all pulling for ya!

Dianewes
08-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Lisa... I was hoping things would be going in another direction for you.... I really have been down this road, had to stop bieing a SAHM and go to work full-time now that my kids are 14 and 19, I am still working full time (At the time of my financial crisis they were 6 and 11) The two of you seem to be working together to find a solution, that is a great thing.... stick together and a solution will present itself.... I wish you all of the luck in the world pixiedust: Here is some pixie dust to help you on your way

Take care

LoveBWVVBR
08-19-2006, 06:31 PM
I just keep saying WHY is this happening to us.

Anyway, yes the union will fight for him again next month then it will go to Arbitration.

My husband will be going down to unemployment next week - hope the job does not fight it. Also will be going down to apply for NY health care - we have benefits till the end of the month.

have been shutting off the a/c most of the day -- cut back on directv - i went into the city to do temp work today and will be again tomorrow. My husband will be getting $100.00 this weekend for helping out a friend. Yes, were doing what we can - and i know we can survive this BUT i hate to sound like a spoiled brat but i loved being a SAHM and if i have to yes i'll be back at work - even if that means my husband is home during the day and he works evenings. I know many do this but i feel like the rug just got pulled out from underneath me.

Anyway, thanx again for caring and praying for us.

Lisa

He's union? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably don't need to worry half as much as you are worrying. I was a management employee at a union company for years, and honestly, we couldn't fire HORRENDOUS union employees, nevermind good ones who did something wrong once. Trust me...there are SO many provisions for protecting union employees. I would venture to guess that he will either be brought back or else he will be offered a very nice severance package and then STILL brought back like 6 months later.

I can't tell you the number of people in our union group who were "on suspension" at any given time, and I also can't tell you of ONE SINGLE TIME when one of them was fired. I'm talking about people who did BAD stuff, too (drugs at work, reading porno mags on the job, consistently drunk at work, massive safety violations, etc.) My dad was a manager at the same company that I was, and he had a union employee bring pot to work, "lose" the bag of pot, and actually come to him (my dad, the boss!) asking where his pot was!! No point in firing him...the union would have gotten him brought back. The ability of the union to protect their membership at all costs is the reason that I left my job. It was not pleasant to be management at a union company.

SLM
08-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Lisa,
Hope things start looking better for you-in this economy and today's world I think alot of us could share similiar stories-I know how stressed you must be feeling. Please take care of yourself and get some much needed rest on your vacation.

dzneprincess
08-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Lisa
YOur OP was on 0810 and if it was exactly 2 weeks that means yal lwont leave untik 0824..I was just wondering if you have heard anything new and how things are going?

kinntj
08-24-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm so sorry you are going through this right now. :grouphug: DH was laid off 3+ years ago and I now have that permanant panic that it will happen again. I'm also a SAHM, so I feel your pain of suddenly being jolted into finding some way of making money for your family to survive.

It's so unfair what's happening to your DH. I hope they get it resolved and he gets his job back or finds a better one (I think he'll find a better one). My DH has been having trouble with someone he works with also and makes his job much more stressful than it needs to be. So my mind is back in panic mode that we'll have to move or I'll have to look for a job before I planned on it. I plan on working in 4 years anyway. I'm looking to going back to school though.

Things will get better and you have to get through this really hard time.

lisaross
08-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Well things are just as stressful -- my husband was terminated so now we have to wait till the middle of September for his 3rd grievance process - hoping he'll get his job back then or if that does not turn out to our advantage we'll have to wait for arbitration and that can take months.

He just applied for unemployment - hoping the company does not fight it, but if they do, the union will go down and fight for it.

I have been doing some temp work, and my husband just got something off the books for now - only 10.00 an hour but its still $$$.

Have not been spending any unnecessary money - just gas and food! I told the kids about the situation - just that daddy will be home a bit more now because he needs to look for another job - it did not phase them at all. We leave to Disney in 3 days - and just seeing how excited my kids are puts a smile on my face and i'm glad we are still going. My kids are not so much into buying things when we are away so my older son is going to do the pennies and collect them so i told him i'll buy him the penny holder and my younger son will pick something else out. I'm hoping not to spend much else since we are on the dining plan and it seems like more then enough food.

lisa

again, thanx for all who care and for the good tips.

Stein
08-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Good luck, it seems that you have planned well and have a good collective head on your shoulders. I am sure it will turn out just fine, many people who have been laid off from my company have found better paying jobs they like more than their job here.

Minnie's Mate
08-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Your family is in my prayers.

Dianewes
09-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Hope you enjoyed your vacation and that it was an escape from reality for you guys........ Good Luck with everything

lisaross
09-07-2006, 12:14 PM
i have a trip report posted on the trip report boards.

lisa

dzneprincess
09-30-2006, 03:00 PM
just wondering how you all are doing?

lisaross
10-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Nothing much has changed - the union meetings keep getting pushed back so the next meeting is set for the middle of October. I've applied for the NY Health Care for the family - thinking only the kids are going to get it - since for the parents they want you to have not money in the bank and this includes 401K - but as long as my kids have health insurance for now i'll be OK. My husband did get approved for Unemployment and that was great news but now it just seems like a band-aid for our bigger problem but that with my husband working off the books is good - but i'm not OK with the here and now i keep thinking months ahead. Everyone my husband speaks with from his Company say's he'll definitly get his job back its just a matter of "when" but until it happens i'll be a wreck! I am working 1 part time job from home which i've been doing since the beginning of the year, and i just got another part-time job 3x a week when the kids are in school - which i'm happy with and it would be great if or when my husband gets his job back this is a good p/t job that is flexible with ours etc!

We still have been not spending any money - actually since Disney the only time we actually spent $ was to take the kids to mcdonalds the other night for family night - we use to go everyweek so i figure every month or so. The kids are happy - they both play soccer so in additon to school that keeps them busy - we started a family game night 1x a week which has been a great hit at our house! Um what else - my husband is still looking for another job, but its so hard with him working everyday etc.

Again, i will definitly keep you all up to date - i've just had no real news - oh and the Disney trip we took was the best for all of us - my kids talk about it everyday - about the different rides etc - its great great memories and i hope if all works out that we'll have another family trip in 2-3 years!

Lisa

mylightshines
10-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Lisa:

I know exactly how you feel. My husband was laid off in March and we went to Disney when school was out in May. The trip was paid for and there was no way I was going to tell my daughter that we weren't going.

He's been working for a landscaping company just to pay the bills until he could find something. Well, he's finally starting his new job tomorrow. The pay is the same as before, but it has great medical and retirement benefits. I think he'll be able to continue to work Saturdays for the landscaping company, which will be a nice to add to my Disney fund. I am optimistic that this is his company "for life."

Hang in there. I know it's rough, but in the end, things will work out.

lisaross
10-01-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm glad he came out on top and w/great benefits in addtion to the same pay that wonderful!

What did you do for the 7 months between jobs? Did you cut back tons? did you start working etc?

We've cut back sooooooooooooo much but the boys (4 & 6) really can't tell any difference - of course i can but i'll survive!

lisa

Deesknee
10-01-2006, 09:58 AM
:grouphug:

slightly different situation, but...Dh's company has been doing what used to be called "down sizing" for a few years now. He has been thru many. Last June he really felt like he was going to get the axe. His boss had given him (for the first time in his 23 yrs with the company) a less than excellent review. Meanwhile we have a trip for WDW planned for mid June. I wanted to cancel. DH said NO WAY. We didn't. I worried the whole time. He didn't loose his job in June. He lost it on Sept. 20th. Looking back I'm so happy we didn't cancel that trip. Who knows when we will get to go again. We were planning on vow renewal in Nov. of 07, but that may not happen either. But I'm not sorry we went in June., like I say who knows when we'll be able to go again.
I should say though, don't have tons of money in saving. We live for the day...usually by the seat of our pants.

EDITED to add
I just remembered a story they may help your hope hang on.
Over 25 years ago my DB was fired from his union job. He and several other employees were playing cards in the lunch room. Some of the guys were drinking. The company fired them all. My brother was out of work for one whole year while the union fought for him, Now the nice part, the paid him retro! He was about 21yrs old at the time. He was able to buy a house. He had a wife and 1 child and #2 on the way (timing on that one put them in horror). He is now one of the most valued employees in the company. The have given him so many promotions, certifcates of appreciation, etc. He is now 47 yrs old and is employed by the same company.
Good luck to you and your family. Glad you decide to keep your vacation& had a nice time.

lisaross
10-01-2006, 03:43 PM
usually with a union job you do get back pay - and hopefully this is what we'll get - i'll take him getting his job without back pay as well at this point! So what are you doing now? do you work as well as your husband? did he get severence?

good luck

and thanx for the stories.....

lisa

Stinky2u4u
10-01-2006, 04:02 PM
:banana: Don't stay at a disney hotel, If you want to save money look for the best options, also a very good resort hotel is the campground one at disney, much better then a lot of the other resorts if you like the outdoors, they are like either 45-100 a night or something for 4 people. They have a lot of fun things to do there to. :banana:

:banana: Let you kids have 30-50 dollars in spending money so it's not like they don't have anything to remeber disney by (If you know what I mean) Don't eat at Disney, it is VERY expensive, you will probably save 200-350 dollars eating somewhere else, bring snacks for you, hopefully you already have snacks at home so you don't have to buy anything. :banana:

:banana: Carry around a lightwieght bag so you can cary snacks around with you (healthy things that won't make them hungry again in an hour.) :banana:

:banana: Never eat something that isn't filling, you will spend much more time trying to find food for the kids if you do that. Stay for 7 days. DOn't get any other "extra" disney stuff like the water parks or something. Especially if you have little kids, one adult will enjoy something, while the other adult will have to stay with kids. :banana:

lisaross
10-02-2006, 08:46 AM
its just being updated - my family already did Disney

lisa

Stinky2u4u
10-02-2006, 10:51 AM
:banana: oh, ok :banana:

JeffM
10-17-2006, 07:46 AM
I was just checking to see how everything was going.. Any updates?

Deesknee
10-17-2006, 08:39 AM
usually with a union job you do get back pay - and hopefully this is what we'll get - i'll take him getting his job without back pay as well at this point! So what are you doing now? do you work as well as your husband? did he get severence?

good luck

and thanx for the stories.....

lisa

Thanks for asking Lisa. I was just wondering how you and your dh struggle with empolyer are going. My dh last official day is this Friday 10/20. He hasn't found anything local yet. He has gotten two job offers from other states (not close enough to commute). We're still hoping relocating won't be neccessary. He gets 35wks severance including medical. (thank God). I have been working part time, but don't make 1/2 what he was making. Even if I went fulltime. Feel free to pm me at any time if you want.
Your all in my prayers.
Dee

lisaross
10-17-2006, 01:50 PM
and caring enough to find out well, can you believe that we still have not heard anything - the 3rd grivance kept being pushed back for various reasons - well today is the day of the 3rd grivance - probably won't hear anything today - definitly tomorrow!

Since then, i was able to get my entire family covered under the NY Family/Child program and the kids coverage goes into effect this month and mine and my husbands next month - so that is a huge relief! I am working p/t - again not much having to work around kids schedule, but still about 600 a month! My husband did get unemployment - actually we stopped it for a week since he tried an on the books job which was no good so now were trying to get him back on unemployment - what a pain - he is working now off the books so we are able to pay our bills but i'm just living on the edge so so afraid. REally hoping things go our way at the grivance today - its just been so so much stress on our relationship etc..............I just get myself so sick when i think think think - i'm not an optimist - trying to be.

I hope to come back with much much better news this week - but i am thankful we have health coverage and thankful we are indeed paying the bills and oh yes only went into savings for..........our basement leak - window problems - my car needed new tires and my husbands car needed a wheel alignment - but thankfully we had the $ in savings and like i said we are not putting anything on credit cards - paying our bills on-time and living frugally for now.

Lisa

Vickie46
10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Hope things get better soon... I will say a prayer for you.. I have been in your shoes before.. I know how you feel! Bless your heart! Hang in there! :) :grouphug:

mickeymousemom
10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
I just ran across this thread and read thru it all. Wow. I certainly am glad you had a good time at WDW. I would have definitely recommended that you not cancel your trip. Now I 'll go look for your trip report. I hope everything works out for you with the grievance thing. My husband is a union guy so I know how that stuff can go. Actually, a few years ago there was a bunch of people that got fired after they were a part of a major drug bust in his factory. A year later(I think), the union finally got them their jobs back and they got back pay in excess of $100,000! Of course, there were alot of ticked off people, but it just goes to show what a union can do for you(and there are other times when they kind of stink).
I wish you both the best! :goodvibes

dzneprincess
10-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Lisa,
Please update as soon as you can! I think of you and your family often.

Mary Anne
10-22-2006, 03:25 PM
I too have been wondering how you were doing. I hope things are working out.

lisaross
10-22-2006, 04:41 PM
The 3rd grivance was finally this past week, and the laborer's still think my husband can be lieing - they are going to do more investigation work - so we'll see what comes next!

I will keep you all up to date

lisa

HenDuck
10-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Hugs :grouphug: to Lisa and to everyone else who cared enough to respond to this post and/or who has ever gone through the same situation. I have.

We were barely married two years, just into a brand new house, when my DH was fired. I cried. I blamed him. I cried. He was lucky enough to find another job just before his severance was used up. A year after that he was offered a lucrative job which lasted many years.

Fast forward many years later, his lucrative job had ended and he was struggling to make his own business work. He quit that business with nothing else to fall back on but to close out some old clients' business. This time I did not blame him (but I did cry). I supported his decision to end a job that made him miserable.

One of the last clients' he "closed out" involved a business venture that brought him more money than we both earned in a year.

Fast forward to today. He is currently waiting on financing on a new venture. We have been waiting months for the (private) financier to come up with the money, but there's always a delay. I am beginning to doubt whether this venture will happen. If it does, we will be sitting pretty. If it doesn't, well, then I'm in the same boat as Lisa.

Luckily, we have savings to tide us over while we figure out what is the next step. I have already begun to work on a "Plan B".

We too have a trip planned in the spring, but not to Disney. My DH wants to go and so do I, but I have questioned whether that money would be better left in savings. Of course, some of it is already paid for, and I am fully employed and do manage to save monthly. If we are able to work our "Plan B", I think we will go and enjoy the trip.

Thanks for this thread. It is timely for me.

I have learned that there are blessings around every corner. Sometimes we have to be patient and alert to recognize them, but they are there.

All my best wishes to Lisa and everyone else here.

Have a great day!

Thanks, HenDuck :wave:

JeffM
11-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Hi Lisa,

Any update? We have not heard from you and I was thinking about you the other day and was wondering how it was going...

Tinker'n'Fun
11-20-2006, 06:59 AM
I just found this thread and was really EXCITED. DH lost his job in July 2005 right after we got back from Disney. Actually the week after. Unemployment ended 1/06 and he has been looking forever. We had a terrible storm here in October, so he worked for 4 weeks on the disaster team. Very long hours, but enough to quiet the phone a bit...Just a small bit. He will start looking again but with the holidays it is very hard. Only minimum wage jobs available and if he takes that we lose our insurance. Catch-22. And to make matters worse I have been disabled since 2000 (nothing to serious, just unable to work steady do to a car accident) and feel extremely guilty that I dont contribute enough... So glad you chose Disney. Like us it might be eternity until we get back.. But we will!

lisaross
11-22-2006, 01:55 PM
new -the Union is still fighting.......

We have to fight to get unemployment back - since we got it then we stopped it because my husband took a job "on the books" for a week and it was just not worth the commute for the $ so now he has to fight back for it next week - hoping we get the back-pay!

My husband has been getting some contracting jobs and some computer repair jobs on a day - to day basis! I've been doing some temp work on the days i'm off from my p/t job - seriously thinking about getting a long-term temp position - but then it will be real hard for my husband to interview w/the kids schedule and all - so we'll see.

We are managing for now -

I'm on a rollercoaster - one hour feeling "ok" next sad etc.

I know one way or another it will have to work out -- been thinking of all our possibilities - like moving etc!

Lisa

arlenesp
11-22-2006, 04:06 PM
LIsa, I just read this thread and boy did it bring back memories.BAck in 82 we were living on L.I. and doing great.Then My DH's health started getting weird. He was diagnosed as having acute anxiety and was seeing a therapist 2x a week.That was very costly. I was expecting my second child and was stressing about the finances as he was told to cut down on his stress and try to work in a less stressful job. lol My DD was also at the time a competitive skater and we all know how costly that is. She volunteered to take some time off til her dad was back on his feet.

Well after 4 long years of walking on eggshells,the diagnosed anxiety turned out to be a brain tumor. After the operation, he had 6 wks of radiation. No pay. NYS disability at the time paid us a very generous 78.00 a month.The food stamps however turned out to be a blessing.
If we hadn't had a homebased business at the time, I don't know what would've happened. We went to see if we qualified for welfare, but they told us we would have to sign a document stating we would have to pay back the $ at 4%. Still can't understand that one.So we said thanks but no thanks. His job still covered him with insurance so at least the bills on that end were paid.

After his radiation was over with we flew down to Ft Lauderdale for a rest with his parents and of course we took the kids to WDW. Best thing we ever did.I think it was the trip the kids actually both remembered after having to go thru a long 4 years of his medical issues.

We moved down her in 86 and unfortunately the tumor came back with a vengence and he had a really serious operation in 2004 which left him partially disabled.So I am now the main earner in the family.He fortunately gets disability. I work in Customer service and always worry about my job.It would be devastating if anything happens to my income.

But sometimes you need a break. We are going on our 4th DCL cruise next month.It is the only thing that calms us down.3 days of being taken care of and not having to worry is worth every penny.Those days in 82 were really tough. I learned how to connect with many agencies that year for temporary help.There was an agency back then it think it was called heap? Anyway they dropped 50 gal of oil in my hometank so I could heat the home while he was in the hospital. There were so many more and now with the internet,you should try to apply for everything you can.

I had really great neighbors who really stepped up to the plate and took care of the kids for us those 3 weeks and really helped out more than they could imagine.In spite of it all, we are in a better place now and don't ever look back at what could've been. We try to enjoy everyday and are thankful for what we have.

lisaross
11-23-2006, 06:55 AM
you seem like a really strong person! Good for you taking time out to enjoy your family!

I was going to try to apply for food stamps, but it stats you cannot have any $ in your 401k!

Thank god we are doing ok........

so let me ask you, did you ever get out of debt?

lisa

arlenesp
11-23-2006, 07:33 AM
We never got that bad.Car loan,no cc. As I said we had a home based business which thank goodness allowed me to be a sahm and help pay the bills. We never, however had the oppurtunity to build up a a savings acct as we were never thinking about what if.Always thought there is plenty of time as we were both pretty healthy so we thought.

We sold the house for a ridiculous profit and he had transfered to Florida. Things didn't go too well but we adjusted . DD became interested in socializing and less in her skating which did take the burden off of that expense, but what a waste of talent. DS was into computing,never complained thru it all, and now has a struggling webdesign co. Arabian nights is one of his :sunny:

We have small savings now.Most of his disability settlement was put away in investments.(so we couldn't touch it) We would've spent it in a heart beat.We are spenders. You'd think we learned our lesson? We did however take some of the $ and took everyone on a Disney Cruise as we all needed the break. Great thing too. DD eventually dropped out of private college to marry poorly. :confused3 Left her with 3 kids. So when we thought we could start doing for ourselves, we now had to shelter her and the 3 kids til she got back on her feet, which she is :thumbsup2

Things don't always go the way they are planned but somehow all the pieces do fit.My job allows the flexiblility for me to spend more time off with the family,and I get to be more hands on as a grandparent and get to see them each week and be a part of their lives.I think I told you I work 4 10 hour days and have 3 off in a row.This allows us to do all the Dr. visits onThurs and Fri and Sat are my weekend.

It's a really beautiful day here in Orlando, a bit colder than I like, and the Turkey is in the oven. Getting ready to look over the ads and get my walk in today and listen to my refurbished ipod :goodvibes Hope you have a great day!

lisaross
11-29-2006, 01:57 PM
For those of you whom have been following my story and offering me much needed support, We got good news..........

My husband got his job back - we will not be getting any backpay because if we wanted it we'd have to go to arbitration and what we need right now is our lives back.

These past 4 months have been the hardest times for us and i've learned so so much from this entire experience. My family is blessed that my husband will be back at his job next month! We made lots of changes and will keep many!!

Thank you again for all the much needed support and stories of your own!

Lisa

jenr812
11-29-2006, 02:23 PM
That is wonderful news Lisa!

macfamily
11-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Wow Lisa, that's fantastic! :cool1: Congrats!! :cool1:

natenapril
11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
:cheer2: party: :cheer2:

LoveBWVVBR
11-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm happy for you. I knew that he would get the job back, and I'm actually surprised that it took 4 months. Does this mean that you guys aren't looking at moving to Melbourne anymore, though?

Oh, and I have 2 words for your husband...TUITION REIMBURSEMENT. Their tuition program is awesome. Take them for all that they are worth so you have something to fall back on when you do want to leave. I did it and I have NO regrets. It was a big pain to go to night school, but they paid 100% for my grad. degree which enables me to make a way better salary elsewhere :thumbsup2

lookingforward
11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
:thumbsup2 I am so happy for you and your family! I was hoping you would have a good outcome! Please have a wonderful and peaceful holiday!! :grouphug:

tinaluis
11-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm so glad that things worked out for you!
Tina

dzneprincess
11-29-2006, 05:21 PM
oh what wonderful news!!!!

cindrela
11-29-2006, 05:25 PM
I say go on the trip, Why? Because I'm in the same boat as you are. Our trip was planned at the beginning of the year. My husband is out of work, and thinking about our trip was the only thing that "mentally" kept us going. We just got back from a great week on Sunday. My kids had saved their own money and we were on the dining plan. It was great to get away from our worries. Hey, my husband even got a call from a recruiter while we were waiting to go on Rock n' Rollercoaster!! Go for it and enjoy.

Mary Anne
11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm so happy to hear this update. May the holidy season be a wonderful one for you, you deserve it.

willoughbyclan
11-29-2006, 07:21 PM
I am so glad things worked out for you :cool1: It was wonderful to read all the posts and see all of the support that was offered to you. :grouphug:

fivefordisney
11-29-2006, 07:24 PM
So happy for your family! And just in time for the holidays!!

Hedy
11-29-2006, 07:31 PM
For those of you whom have been following my story and offering me much needed support, We got good news..........

My husband got his job back - we will not be getting any backpay because if we wanted it we'd have to go to arbitration and what we need right now is our lives back.

These past 4 months have been the hardest times for us and i've learned so so much from this entire experience. My family is blessed that my husband will be back at his job next month! We made lots of changes and will keep many!!

Thank you again for all the much needed support and stories of your own!

Lisa
Yaaaay! So happy for all of you.

jeankeri
11-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Lisa- What a great way to finish off the year! I am very happy for you all :sunny: .

arlenesp
11-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Happy Holidays :sunny:

calypso*a*go-go
11-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Sounds like somebody got an early Christmas present!!! :goodvibes

pooh2001
11-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Lisa- Congrats to your family. While I was viewing these boards - the TV put on an ad for NY health insurance - free to some families.
www.nyhealth.gov

I was laid off from a major corporation earlier this year.
My DH changed his job for better pay and benefits.
I am now a stay at home.

We COBRA'ed medical for 3 months and then went on DH's plan.
We do not eat dinner out each week and rent movies, instead of paying $30 at the movie theatre. We get books from the library instead of the book store.

We are still going to WDW - we just cut back on some ADR's and plan on doing breakfast (cereal) in the room more often and more pizza, burger dinners. No extra's like HDD - but we still will do the Fantasmic package with the least expensive H&V. No Disney Florist delivery. Less snacking between meals (better for my diet).

We have discount ride to our resort from SUN RAY with a food store stop.
We have an AAA discount on our resort room.
We have AP tickets - so no cost to get into the parks.

WDW is a magical place - your worries float away for a few days. :cloud9:

Ava31
11-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Tonight was the first night that I read through your saga, and I was so happy to see that it has a happy ending. I know 3 months ago this would have just sounded like , "blah blah blah" but imagine the position y'all will be in in about 2 years if you continue to implement the new budget. Also, I've learned from experience that the toughest of times, no matter how awful you might feel about your relationship at the time, will be what you look back on as the turning point in your marriage when you realized just how strong each of you actually are. Congratulations, and I'm glad you took the trip and made the memories despite the hardship.