PDA

View Full Version : WALMART VS SAM's CLUB

scmickeygal
08-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I just got a Sam's club membership today. Can anyone tell me if this actually saves anyone money? Is It cheaper by the unit? I have a hard time psychologically buying ketchup for like $6. Anyway, can someone share with me if its cheaper or not?

runwad
08-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I think as with most stuff "it depends" some things with a sale and a coupon from the store are cheaper you need to know your prices to be able to compare, but a few things I think are cheap from sams and I always get are 3# of bananas for $0.99, the packets of cheese & peanut butter crackers, get 45 for 3.87, (somewhere close to that) they have the best birthday cakes, but the price is escaping me but I know cheaper than a grocery store....and their meats!! I love Sam's meats, the pork chops are the best!! I always go first thing in the morning and they have them marked down for quick sale if it's the expiration date on the package, I just take them home and pop them in the freezer. Oh and I buy a 5# tub of country crock butter spread for something like $2 lasts my family forever!!

WillCAD
08-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Sure it is.

The biggest caveat to buyiong from Sams Club is that you will be getting stuff in much larger quantities than you would from WalMart or some other store. But if you compare unit prices, almost everything is cheaper at Sams.

Once in a while WalMart will have a sale that will be cheaper than a Sam's Club regular price, and sometimes WalMart's Equate in-store brand stuff is cheaper than the name brand equivalents that you can get at Sam's. Case in point - I use Zantac all the time, and the Equate version from WalMart is way cheaper than the name brand Zantac 75 at Sam's Club. However, the name brand Zantac is more expensive at WalMart than it is at Sam's.

Shop around a little and compare prices of stuff you get all the time, and you'll see for yourself where the best savings can be found.

luckymommy
08-06-2006, 05:10 PM
ditto about the meats. We buy most of our meat there. Its good because you can get it in large quantities, freeze it and never have to worry about having something on hand for dinner. Its also good for those quick snacks or munchie type foods...

merekc
08-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I would watch your prices, because I disagree that everything is cheaper. Some items are not when you figure it out per unit.

However, I still think it is good to have a Sam's Club membership. Items that we save on:

1. Digital photo processing is like $.14 each. Cheapest place locally to get them done (if you don't want to do online).
2. Tires. This alone is worth the membership. We just saved over $150 on tires for our car and they were Michelin.
3. Meats. We also get good deals on meats.
4. Treats/snacks. We always buy the kid's treats we need to take to school because we get such a great deal. I love the iced sugar cookies. They are 24 for $4.95 (or something like that), and I believe to buy that quantity at Walmart would be about $10.
5. Gas! Some of our Sam's Clubs offer gas, and I find some are a significant savings of $.05 - $.10 cheaper (but I've seen times where they weren't).
6. Milk is about $.20 - $.50 cheaper.
7. We also find a lot of good deals on clothes. I saw some Carter's baby outfits for $11 on sale at Kohls, I got them for $6 at Sam's. And at the end of the season we find tons of good deals as well. These same outfits went down to less than $4.
8. Sam's also offers the cheapest lunch in town. A drink and a large hot dog for $1.50.
9. Toys - at christmas I found some cool toy sets. They weren't necessarily cheaper than other places, but they offered more pieces, so a better deal for your money and a cooler gift.

Hope you enjoy your membership.

ginna74
08-06-2006, 05:15 PM
"I think as with most stuff "it depends" some things with a sale and a coupon from the store are cheaper you need to know your prices to be able to compare, but a few things I think are cheap from sams and I always get are 3# of bananas for $0.99, the packets of cheese & peanut butter crackers, get 45 for 3.87, (somewhere close to that) "

I get the crackers and the bannanas too! I get cheaper milk, and today I just got a big box of 4 different ice cream stuff for 8 dollars and there was 40 in there!!!! I go there every payday now . I tend to see the name brand stuff as being more expensive. but there are good prices if you price shop with the stores in your area. I got a five pund bag of shedded cheese for 8 something and I am affraid it is going to go bad! I mean it is 5 pounds! when it was fourth of jully time I got a watermelon for 4 something and was it good! Their fruit has always been good. their hamburger buns and hot dog buns are cheap, if you buy the double pack, itis 2 something. I get a huge pack of sams club plates and they last a loooong time.Ok I just love sams and don't know why I neverhad it before.

MrsPete
08-06-2006, 05:18 PM
There's no hard and fast answer to your question: Some things will be cheaper at Sam's, while others are cheaper at Walmart. Your best bet is to start a price book and compare unit prices (i.e., the per-ounce cost for catsup).

Then there are other factors:

If you paid for your Sam's club membership, you must recoup the membership cost before you can realize any savings on purchases. It's easy to forget this initial cost.

Regular stores run loss-leaders and sales; we don't actually have Sam's Club here, but I don't think sales are common in warehouse stores.

Usually the warehouse stores sell huge containers (or multi-packs); will you use it all before it goes bad? If a portion goes un-used, you have to factor that into your cost. Similarly, do you have storage space for those large portions? If keeping bulk purchases around is inconvenient for you, then it's not worth the savings.

What about brand availability at the two stores? I'm fine with most store-brands, but there are a few things that my family prefers.

Muushka
08-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Sure it is.

The biggest caveat to buyiong from Sams Club is that you will be getting stuff in much larger quantities than you would from WalMart or some other store. But if you compare unit prices, almost everything is cheaper at Sams.

Once in a while WalMart will have a sale that will be cheaper than a Sam's Club regular price, and sometimes WalMart's Equate in-store brand stuff is cheaper than the name brand equivalents that you can get at Sam's. Case in point - I use Zantac all the time, and the Equate version from WalMart is way cheaper than the name brand Zantac 75 at Sam's Club. However, the name brand Zantac is more expensive at WalMart than it is at Sam's.
Shop around a little and compare prices of stuff you get all the time, and you'll see for yourself where the best savings can be found.

Have you checked into the Member's Mark (Sam's brand) of this medicine?
It is dirt cheap.

To the OP, no, I would not buy a huge bottle of ketchup at Sams because
1. it is too big and I don't want to have to keep any bottle that big in the refrig
2. I can usually get it buy one get one free at grocery stores, and it is cheaper (per OZ) and smaller in size, easier to store

But I will buy 4 LBS of butter at Sams for around $7 because
1. I cannot ever get it cheaper in the grocery store
2. I can freeze the other 3 LBS

Shopping is really a game. You have to learn the rules, study the different plays and save save save :rotfl: , but very rewarding

ginna74
08-06-2006, 05:37 PM
oh I get the ketchup and mustard too, the family goes through these fast

CajunDixie
08-06-2006, 06:47 PM
the OP, no, I would not buy a huge bottle of ketchup at Sams because
1. it is too big and I don't want to have to keep any bottle that big in the refrig

You don't have to store Heinz in the frig. ;)

I save the price of our membership in buying just contacts! Everything else is just icing on the cake. I try to buy books secondhand or use our library but when a new book comes out that I can't wait to read then Sam's is the cheapest place. Cases of sports drinks are another huge savings for our family.

WDWorBUST
08-06-2006, 06:58 PM
As everyone else has said you just need to watch prices and know what will work for you. I will say that not everything is cheaper at Sams though. We have just learned what is that we use and what isn't. But it isn't that unusual to check something and it actually be more expensive per unit. Do check their pharmacy too though. The one time I had to get a prescription that wasn't covered by my insurance at all Sams was definitely the cheapest.

babiesX2
08-06-2006, 06:59 PM
I like Sam's Club because the carts have 2 child seats at the front of the cart. :thumbsup2 The candy prices are good, but I don't like DD13 having that much candy at once. The diapers are the same price as buying them in the store. The quantity is just larger. I agree about the toys having extras. The food samples make each trip fun! popcorn::

DaisyLynn
08-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Someone mentioned the cakes at Sam's. OMG!!! They are the best at a great price! A friend of mine got her wedding cake there. All of her guests commented on how delicious it was and that it was "the best ever"! She just got a few basic cakes, some tiers and had her florist decorate with silk flowers..and voila! Beautiful cake at just a fraction of the cost!

A little OT, but had to add that in! :thumbsup2

nbodyhome
08-06-2006, 07:15 PM
The savings on milk makes it worth it to me - I save about $1.00 per gallon when I buy it at Sams over the grocery store.

I buy meat a few times a month there - usually ribs and flank steak, I save money on both. I buy snacks for my husband at great prices - beef jerky, pork rinds, boxes of the 50 pack potato chips, and pistachios. I get clothes there at great deals. Great price on the 3 pack of whipped cream.

I have Costcos, BJ's and Sams - and buy different items at each. It has been well worth having the memberships!

They have good deals on books and such too - I don't buy many of those, but sometimes for gifts. I bought my stepfather a nice Levis sweater at a good price yesterday for his birthday. I picked up some Reeboks a couple of weeks ago, and nice pajama bottoms for me yesterday.

I don't buy everything at the warehouse clubs - usually not paper products and such, I don't usually find those as good a deal. I like BJ's because I can bring coupons (I usually buy my Splenda there, sometimes though at Sams). I buy my cooking oil at Sams too.

There are a lot of great prices to be had - but not everything is going to be cheaper.

moniot
08-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Sam's is so worth the membership for us.

Shredded Cheese - bag it up in smaller bags and in freezes great
Milk, sour cream, string cheese, hot dogs, chicken breast, some canned products, parm. grated cheese, fresh veggies are much cheaper at our club.

My favorite though is the click and pull feature. I place my order online (that gives me a chance to check totals while I shop) then 24 hours or less later I can stop by and pick it up. That sure helps with impulse purchases.

I have been very happy with the Member's Mark products. You can't beat there clearance and holiday stuff.

Electronics and appliances also. The prices might appear the same as other places but I have discovered that sometimes the products will have more features.

You do have to know prices. Maybe if the amounts are overwhelming you could find someone to split things with. I do that quite often.

nbodyhome
08-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Someone mentioned the cakes at Sam's. OMG!!! They are the best at a great price! A friend of mine got her wedding cake there. All of her guests commented on how delicious it was and that it was "the best ever"! She just got a few basic cakes, some tiers and had her florist decorate with silk flowers..and voila! Beautiful cake at just a fraction of the cost!

A little OT, but had to add that in! :thumbsup2

I forgot about that - we bought our wedding cake and cupcakes at Sams, the cakes there are GREAT! Very inexpensive, too. I think we paid about $25.00 between the cake and 24 cupcakes. We picked up flowers for our wedding there too, for about $40.00 total. And they have terrific prices on photo developing too.

WillCAD
08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
It is dirt cheap.

Last time I checked, my Sam's Club didn't have Members Mark ranitidine tabs, but I haven't checked in a long time. I will certainly look the next time I'm in the Club!

ICF
08-06-2006, 07:36 PM
You can also usually save a least $ .05 / gallon on the gas from Sams Club too.

ginna74
08-06-2006, 07:37 PM
"Shredded Cheese - bag it up in smaller bags and in freezes great"

ty for the thought, I never even thought of that!

staceyfe
08-06-2006, 10:32 PM
I must admit I know my prices pretty good. Like others have said, some things are a bargain and some are not. Some things I buy

Peter pan peanut butter: 5# for $6.26
rawhide dog bones (2 labs here): $10.xx for 11 bones
member's mark dishwasher detergent: 5.88 for 2 100oz boxes
gummy vitamins for DS: $10.28 for 220 (@ w-m they are about $4.25 for 60)
100% juice boxes case for about $7-8 (ok, maybe that's not a great deal but I'm not sure on the price here)
store brand all-beef hot dogs: box of 100 for about $15--I separate them into freezer bags; they're great hot dogs

Things i've noticed that are not a great deal:

velveeta 2# cheese (sold in a package of 2, it cost more than 2 individual blocks at WM)
buying stuff you don't really need
It's easy to go to Sams and spend some major money. They have so many convenience foods. If you're on a budget it's a good idea to be disciplined and avoid the premade chicken pot pie and individual packed nutter butters.

I've yet to buy a big ticket item there but am holding out hope for a refrigerator!

Muushka
08-06-2006, 10:46 PM
You don't have to store Heinz in the frig. ;)

snip.......

Once you open a bottle of ketchup you don't have to refrigerate it? :confused3

merekc
08-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I also have a Costco membership. Both clubs offer travel deals. We booked our car rental for Disney through Costco and saved around $80 from the company directly. This completely justifies the cost of the membership. I have also heard that Sam's offers some city passes to attractions in different cities that are good deals.

nbodyhome
08-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Once you open a bottle of ketchup you don't have to refrigerate it? :confused3

No. :) If you go to restaurants, you will see that they leave theirs out all day (which is when I realized, many years ago, that you don't have to refrigerate it!)

Oh - and on the subject, I get good deals on vitamins at Sams. :) And gas, like others have mentioned. I don't go nuts buying things I don't need, I do skim the clothes in case of a good deal on something I'll use. Usually I know exactly what I want when I go, and I buy just that.

plummer925
08-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Sam's DOES have loss leaders - look around the store for signs that say something like Special Buy or One Time Buy (I don't remember the terminology) - these are items that will not be restocked.

Also, they have items that are priced below cost - they used to be items that were priced at $x.41 (meaning everything that had .41 in the change was below cost), but I believe they changed the digits within the last year or so...you can always ask an employee, but I don't know if you'll get an answer or not! :confused3

I buy my pick-a-chicks there (the rotisserie chicken) - they are about 50% larger than at my local grocery store, they are about $1.50 less than my local grocery store, and they are MUCH tastier than my local grocery store.

Don't forget the "free" samples (I hesitate to use free since we pay for a membership) - Sunday afternoons in my area is the BEST time for samples - you can make it a meal!

Their pizza is pretty good, and they'll cook it for 50 cents more than the box price (I think it's under $7 cooked, but don't quote me).

I totally agree with the poster about country crock - that's the best deal.

Boneless/skinless chicken breasts are $1.47 a pound if you buy the 40 pound boxes (helluva deal around here - the loss-leader sales at local grocery stores are $1.88 a pound).

NOW: Where they are good with some prices, they TOTALLY lack in Customer Service. I hate shopping there because they are rude, they never open additional lines (the lines are always at least 8 long and only 2 registers open), and if you need help, good luck finding someone TO help. Here is a classic example (things like this happen all the time) - someone in front of me had 2 carts of items, plus a furniture ticket in their hand. The cashier told them to wait on the furniture ticket until the other items were rung in. They run the other items in, then had to go to the manager to call to verify the furniture was in stock. If they had done that at the beginning (verified I mean), we all wouldn't have just *stood* there for 5 minutes while someone checked. Meanwhile, the guy had paid for the other items (cashier had told him it had to be seperate transactions or something) and I asked the cashier if he'd ring me through (I had only ONE item) and he refused - made me stand there for 5 minutes while he waited for the manager. That ticked me off - they could have at least rung a few small orders through instead of making the line get larger (by the time I left there were about 12 people behind me in line!).

So, no customer service, yes, some good deals on items (I also buy my DVD's and office supplies there - I can't get bubble mailers cheaper anywhere), but lacking customer service.

disneysnowflake
08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
We let our membership go.

I can't see paying $35 per year for Sam's Club. They usually only have 1 or 2 lines open. Then you have to wait in line again to leave the store so the one employee can check your receipt against the items you have.

Then they don't open the store for non-business member until 10am. I like going to the store as soon as the boys go to school, not stand around until 10am waiting for Sam's to open.

The weekend lines are crazy. You have to be very careful about whether something is a deal or not. I needed a big bag of walnuts at Christmas. It was more expensive at Sam's than it was at our local grocery store.

If they have something really, really good I'll ask my sister to get it for me.

Our Sam's doesn't have gas pumps or anything.

Fire14
08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
I buy a lot of my shampoo, paper products at sams club. I also use them for photo processing as they are cheapest in area. I used to buy printer cart. there as they were cheapest.

My dad used to buy coffee supplies for office at sams during weekly trip. He goes through a gallon of milk/day min. so it's a weekly trip for him. He also buys cearal, butter, cheese, dog food, diapers, dishwasher soap, who knows what else there.

kinntj
08-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I just got a Sam's club membership today. Can anyone tell me if this actually saves anyone money? Is It cheaper by the unit? I have a hard time psychologically buying ketchup for like $6. Anyway, can someone share with me if its cheaper or not?

My DH shops Sams' (I don't shop at Walmart or Sam's, but can't control DH) and he gets his membership discounted deeply through his employer.
Things he buys there: Paper towels, toilet paper, Meat (ribs and pork chops), shaving cream, large bottles of Ibuprofen, milk, margarine, frozen chicken breasts, peanut butter, diapers (phasing out of these due to potty training) and pull ups.

DH does pick up some things closer to Christmas like movies, books, etc. My DH doesn't comparison shop like I do, but since I refuse to set foot in there, he's on his own.

puffkin
08-07-2006, 11:48 AM
We recently joined BJ's because they take coupons and all cards...but I have been to Sams a lot and I normally shop SuperWalMart for my groceries.

We have found quite a few things to be much cheaper at WalMart than the warehouse stores. You really have to calculate by unit price.

The few things that we buy that always seem cheaper by far are bottled water and cat litter. We buy some generic brand at Sams and it is approx. $8 for a 40 lb. tub. It may not be the best, but it clumps well, and we have our box in our basement and it gets scooped every day so odor isn't a big issue for us. BJ's also has the best price on Pampers that I have found.

Something to be careful with is quantity buying. My Mom learned this lesson. She would normally go to the grocery store and buy a few snacks for the week. If they got eaten, they were gone until the next weeks shopping. So say she would spend $10 on snacks per week at the grocery store. Well, when Sam's opened, she found that she could buy snacks cheaper there for $25. The quanity would be the same as buying 3 weeks worth of snacks at the grocery store. Yet, because it was there, we would eat more of the snacks...and she would end up spending a lot more because we at more. If you buy prepackaged food in bulk, you really have to be careful and show discipline.

MammaNicholas
08-07-2006, 01:54 PM
When we go to same, there's no toys to hear my dd(5) cry for or sneak off to go see, and no candy at the register for her to have a melt down over (or to temp me also). And her favorite part is is the samples. We play a game, as long as she's good she get to try the next sample we come up to and lets me know if I should try it or not, she so looks forward to it.

Muushka
08-07-2006, 02:12 PM
No. :) If you go to restaurants, you will see that they leave theirs out all day (which is when I realized, many years ago, that you don't have to refrigerate it!)
snip......

That is a good tip :thumbsup2 . But it says to refrigerate after opening, and we are only 2 people eating it. I'll bet the restaurants go thru it so quickly that it probably does not matter. Now if we were a big family, that stuff would not be in our refrig!

On the drug prices: Members Mark brand has

generic Benedryl 400 ct $3.22
generic Zantac 240 ct $5.88
generic Claritin 300 ct $15.84

shirleyb
08-07-2006, 02:57 PM
From the Heinz website:

Should ketchup be refrigerated?

Because it is a very acidic product, ketchup does not spoil easily. Once opened, in order to maintain the product's quality more effectively, we do suggest that ketchup (and any other processed food) be refrigerated after opening because refrigeration retards spoilage.

So, my take, is it's ok to leave out for a day or two, but long term, it should be refrigerated.

mill4023
08-07-2006, 03:03 PM
We've been Costco members for years and never had a Sam's club in our area until we moved to Charlotte this year. I've been in the Sam's a few times to look around because we had considered joining. But from what I've seen, we're just going to stick with Costco. You just can't beat Costco's customer service, return policy, and polish dogs.

As far as saving money, if Sam's is anything like Costco, you'll save money on the majority of items, but not all of them. DVD's come to mind as one item that you don't save money on at Costco. On the other hand, it's really shocking how much cheaper certain items are. Things like olive oil, vanilla, garlic powder and other spices. The bottle of vanilla (real, not imitation) that I just bought from Costco was about $10 and was at least 10 times the size of the $5 bottles at the grocery store.

WillCAD
08-07-2006, 05:18 PM
DH does pick up some things closer to Christmas like movies, books, etc. My DH doesn't comparison shop like I do, but since I refuse to set foot in there, he's on his own.

Why do you refuse to set foot in there? Did you have a bad experience in Sams or WalMart once?

WillCAD
08-10-2006, 01:22 AM
It is dirt cheap.

Last time I checked, my Sam's Club didn't have Members Mark ranitidine tabs, but I haven't checked in a long time. I will certainly look the next time I'm in the Club!

I checked today, and sure enough, the Members Mark renitidine tablets are in my local Sams Club, 240 tablets for $5.88. This blows WalMart's Equate brand away, because the Equates are around $10 for a bottle of 120.

Thanks for mentioning it Muushka!

ThreeMusketeers
08-10-2006, 02:21 AM
We used to shop every 2 weeks and with a Sams Membership we have made it to once a month. With just a few short trips to the grocery store for bread and milk. So I find that when we are shopping for weeks at a time its a WAY better deal than anyplace else I have shopped including Super Walmart, Aldi and the reg. grocer.
Good Luck!

Muushka
08-10-2006, 08:38 AM
I checked today, and sure enough, the Members Mark renitidine tablets are in my local Sams Club, 240 tablets for $5.88. This blows WalMart's Equate brand away, because the Equates are around $10 for a bottle of 120.

Thanks for mentioning it Muushka!

You are very welcome. :thumbsup2

kuusimo
08-10-2006, 10:09 AM
One thing that no one has mentioned is that if you don't find the membership works for your family- you can get a refund at any point and they will pro-rate the amount for the year. You don't need to let your membership go for the year and be frustrated with the fact you spent the money.

Points I like about Sam's- business member hours. I go with my boys early in the morning and there is NO ONE there! I also love their clearance items. I found 4.8lbs of Willy Wonka Candy for 71 cents a bag. Magic Erasers 10 pk for 2.81... You have to know your prices though and then get them while you can. I have found lots of wedding gifts there for 50-75% off.

CajunDixie
08-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Then they don't open the store for non-business member until 10am. I like going to the store as soon as the boys go to school, not stand around until 10am waiting for Sam's to open.

Business memberships are sold to people who are self-employed also. My DH is an electrician and we signed up with no problem. You don't need a business tax id nor a license of any sort. And I think maybe the membership is $5 cheaper but not sure about that.

We always use Heinz and have never refrigerated it. We don't go through a bottle in 2 days of course but it also doesn't sit in the cabinet longer than 2 months.

Muushka
08-10-2006, 03:19 PM
So how exactly does one obtain a business membership??

I HATE it when I go early and cannot get in :smooth:

kuusimo
08-10-2006, 08:49 PM
So how exactly does one obtain a business membership??

I HATE it when I go early and cannot get in :smooth:

You can always ask your employer to sign up and then you sign up under them. I know my former employer would have someone come to the office once a year and sign up people. You could split the cost of membership with another person in the office or get a spouse card for your spouse. There is no cost to the employer to do this. Talk to your HR department.

When we signed up for our business membership, my DH had to provide a EIN and a business check. So you do need to provide some proof that you are a business.

GalDisney
08-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I have Sam's memebrship. I did not have to pay for it because I am on my brother's account. I don't shop there often because i am a family of one..just me. But my Sam's has a gas station so i use that often. I have not been in the store in a long time, maybe I should go and snoop around :)

Muushka
08-11-2006, 09:27 AM
You can always ask your employer to sign up and then you sign up under them. I know my former employer would have someone come to the office once a year and sign up people. You could split the cost of membership with another person in the office or get a spouse card for your spouse. There is no cost to the employer to do this. Talk to your HR department.

When we signed up for our business membership, my DH had to provide a EIN and a business check. So you do need to provide some proof that you are a business.
Thanks. I am doing occasional contract work, no HR dept. Maybe I can talk my husband into getting one at work. He is not fond of doing stuff like that though. Oh well.

keishashadow
08-11-2006, 09:40 AM
We're lucky our Sam's & super Walmart are right next to each other, can pick up the best of both in one trip.:banana:

On my way to Sam's today to pick up a cheesecake variety pack they offer for Mom's bd, excellent & economical. I'll also pick up the 24 pk of cupcakes...DH & DSs will make short work of them.

All their bakery products are fresh & cheap...I tend to split the giant bags of buns, crossiants & freeze them.

Carry a pretty good potato sald & chicken salad in ref. section too. Also buy my bacon in bult & split/freeze.

There meats are more expensive but, better quality...have real butchers. Pick up giant pkgs of chicken wings...probably 1/2 price or more of retail.

Walmart has very reasonably priced deli, cut to order but, sooooo slow.

I've had problems w/their meat (steaks were green underneath & stunk once I brought them home). Also have store brand OJ w/calcium that's a value.

That said, I wish they'd put a Costco in near us...esp. for travel deals....would drop Sam's in a min. Costco has comparable products & their pizza's much better.

Muushka
08-11-2006, 11:25 AM
I've had problems w/their meat (steaks were green underneath & stunk once I brought them home). Also have store brand OJ w/calcium that's a value

No way! Save that receipt and freeze them until you get back to the store. I have done that before and they are so good about returns, no questions asked.

I have had problems with Sams milk going bad before the exp date. It happend several times, throwing away about a quart out of a gallon. So when I thought it added up to a gallon, I brought one of the containers back with the bad quart in the bottom and sure enough, they replaced the gallon.

Phyllis063
08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Learn your prices at both stores. Some items on sale at WalMart and other stores are less. My daughter and two friends buy in bulk at Sam's and split the cost. Works well for them. I enjoy having a Sam's Club Card. I am retired and have the time to go just to browse and pass time. Luck up on some terrific deals sometime, especially at the holiday season. Happy Shopping!!!!

WillCAD
08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
No way! Save that receipt and freeze them until you get back to the store. I have done that before and they are so good about returns, no questions asked.

I have had problems with Sams milk going bad before the exp date. It happend several times, throwing away about a quart out of a gallon. So when I thought it added up to a gallon, I brought one of the containers back with the bad quart in the bottom and sure enough, they replaced the gallon.

That's a procedural problem that can happen at any store, but the larger the store the more likely it is to happen.

Why it happens is this: Milk products come to the store on forklift palletes, along with tons of other referigerated and frozen stuff. The palletes are brought into the store's warehouse area from teh truck and stacked temporarily until room is cleared in the walk-in referigerators and freezers (the new stuff has to go into the back so it will be rotated).

The bigger the store, and the bigger the shipment, the more time it takes for the stockers to move stuff around and get the cold stuff into the walk-ins. Theoretically, milk products should be given priority, especially on hot summer days when the loading dock doors are open and the warehouse gets hot, but some stores are less careful, and the milk sits out for a while before getting put away.

This does not spoil the milk immediately. The milk is still good by the time it reaches the walk-ins - but that time spent in a hot warehouse reduces its overall shelf life, resulting in milt that will spoil long before its sell-by date.

If your milk spoils early every time, you should make the store managers aware of the problem, so that they can get on the warehouse crew and get the milk put away quicker. Make sure you return the spoiled milk every time; if they start to lose money because of bad warehouse practices, they will be more likely to correct the practices.

Muushka
08-11-2006, 02:57 PM
If your milk spoils early every time, you should make the store managers aware of the problem, so that they can get on the warehouse crew and get the milk put away quicker. Make sure you return the spoiled milk every time; if they start to lose money because of bad warehouse practices, they will be more likely to correct the practices.

Yes it does spoil early, but probably about every other time. I did make management aware of the problem and wrote a letter also. No, I am not going to bring back each and every gallon of milk that spoils. They take up too much room in the refrig and the time it takes to wait in line to return it is just not worth it. :guilty: Like I said, periodically I return a quart.

I have gotten into the habit of buying it from BJs instead. Less trouble!

But you are right, I should make a pain of myself to 'encourage' improvement! :thumbsup2

keishashadow
08-11-2006, 06:07 PM

:thumbsup2 IMO it's the only way store mgmt. will know there's a problem.

Unfortunately, the steaks from walmart were intended for a cook out for company & I had to have everyone wait while I ran back to store to buy more (it was fine but, have been afraid to take the chance since).