PDA

View Full Version : Just found receipts from 2002 WDW trip!

MickeyMonstersMom
08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Quick background: I took the Dkids on their first trip to WDW in 2002. It happened to correspond to DD's 8th birthday, so I promised DS a trip of his own for his 8th. I've been too lazy to put the 2002 photos and such in an album, but went through the box (finally!) today to start doing so. :rolleyes:

Well anyway, I found the receipts for the 2002 trip, and was very surprised at the cost compared to that of our upcoming trip. Taking airfare out of the equation, I spent $1410 for 6 nights at ASMu with 5-day PH's, not including food, souvenirs, etc. (I booked room-only and bought the PH's at the Disney Store.) For 6 nights at Pop and 6-day PH's this time, I spent $1399.99 - and this includes Free Dining!

In 2002 I used a local travel agency that had no clue about WDW discounts. Even so, it's amazing to think I'm paying LESS now than I did four years ago! Wow! Now, I did not factor airfare in, but I had to fly to Florida anyway for another reason, so I did not think it was fair to include that.

Hehe, I'm going to go compare the dining receipts to current prices now...

Chris
08-06-2006, 02:41 PM
WOW! That makes you feel good! :-)
Have a great trip

mcreste
08-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I had the same experience when I compared our costs from our first trip in 2000 to our upcoming one in December! Ever since Disney decided to offer an incentive for adding days to the park pass, that cost seems so much more reasonable, and as for the dining plan -- I feel like pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. I know some have complaints and worry about quality issues, but I'm reveling in the the savings. It's so rare to find prices decreasing (I wish my heating bill would follow suit). And, one lucky day online last fall, I found airline tickets for $118 roundtrip, from NJ to Orlando. At this rate, I've almost convinced myself that I'm saving money by going this December! :goodvibes

TenThousandVolts
08-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Since I bought 10 day non-exp hoppers w/plusses I have saved a bundle. We do 4 or 5 day trips - add a party in (like mnsshp or mvmcp) and do a water park or DQ day on each trip. Trips are very affordable for us now.

The new pricing structure definately rewards the die-hards like me- and those that can stay for 2 weeks.

dvcgirl
08-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Quick background: I took the Dkids on their first trip to WDW in 2002. It happened to correspond to DD's 8th birthday, so I promised DS a trip of his own for his 8th. I've been too lazy to put the 2002 photos and such in an album, but went through the box (finally!) today to start doing so. :rolleyes:

Well anyway, I found the receipts for the 2002 trip, and was very surprised at the cost compared to that of our upcoming trip. Taking airfare out of the equation, I spent $1410 for 6 nights at ASMu with 5-day PH's, not including food, souvenirs, etc. (I booked room-only and bought the PH's at the Disney Store.) For 6 nights at Pop and 6-day PH's this time, I spent $1399.99 - and this includes Free Dining!

In 2002 I used a local travel agency that had no clue about WDW discounts. Even so, it's amazing to think I'm paying LESS now than I did four years ago! Wow! Now, I did not factor airfare in, but I had to fly to Florida anyway for another reason, so I did not think it was fair to include that.

Hehe, I'm going to go compare the dining receipts to current prices now...

That's very interesting.....makes DVC a less attractive option I suppose.

mcreste
08-06-2006, 08:24 PM
That's very interesting.....makes DVC a less attractive option I suppose.

I'm surprised you would think so....I don't think the economy resorts are comparable to the deluxe ones, for theming and ambience (think about Stormalong Bay), and deluxe are the only ones DVC offers. And now that the dining plan is offered to DVC'ers, I still think we come out ahead.

dvcgirl
08-06-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm surprised you would think so....I don't think the economy resorts are comparable to the deluxe ones, for theming and ambience (think about Stormalong Bay), and deluxe are the only ones DVC offers. And now that the dining plan is offered to DVC'ers, I still think we come out ahead.

Well, we'd have to see a similar receipt from 2002 from the Yacht Club....then and now with a package including free dining.

mcreste
08-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Well, we'd have to see a similar receipt from 2002 from the Yacht Club....then and now with a package including free dining.

I'm not sure what you mean by a similar receipt. If one package includes accomodations at the Beach Club, and the other one is at All Stars, what are we comparing? Isn't this apples and oranges? It's true that you can save money by staying at a budget resort - even more by staying off-site. But I'm not sure cost alone is what drives most DVC owners. It's my impression that DVC only really makes sense if you are interested in the deluxe, and therefore more expensive, resorts.